Take the Jets' Incompetence Pop Quiz!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Take the Jets' Incompetence Pop Quiz!!

QUIZ:

Just an observation on my part, but, doesn't it appear that Jets GM John Idzik isn't exactly falling all over himself to improve his team through free agency? Though the Jets have plenty of cap room and a ton of needs, he has  seemingly chosen to sit on his hands. This begs the question...Why??

Thus, I invite y'all to take this one question pop quiz that I've come up with regarding Idzik's offseason actions...or...perhaps more appropriately, inactions. Please enter your answers below. Note that explanations for your answers are encouraged, and could net you extra credit towards your overall grade. Good luck!!

Please give the best answer to the options given below, to explain why Jets GM John Idzik has seemingly failed to attempt to significantly improve his team through free agency:  

a.) Incompetence: Idzik could be in over his head;

b.) Wants Rex Gone: Idzik could purposely be letting the current Jets team wither on the vine, which would give him an excuse to fire Rex Ryan. Like every new GM, he wants to hire his own guy. This is the second straight year that Idzik has done little to help Ryan through free agency. Rex miraculously saved his job last season by leading an obviously talent deficient team to an 8-8 record, while earning the love of his players;

c.) Waiting For a Franchise QB: Perhaps Idzik has decided that the Jets will never be a legitimate threat to win a SB unless and until they find a franchise QB. Because Idzik wasn't sold by the performance of Geno Smith last season, he's decided to "tank", and let the current Jets team crash and burn, while the offense continues to be piloted by the turnover prone Smith;

d.) Waiting For The Patriots to Wither: Idzik by his actions seems to be conceding that there are no moves that he can make that will allow his Jets to currently overcome New England in the AFC East;

e.) All of the above.  

Please submit your answer below. Again, good luck!!...LOL!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Take the Jets' Incompetence Pop Quiz!!

We have our first answer, from "The Ghost":

TP, based on the article in the NY Daily News it looks like it could be A.

If you read in between the lines and the structure of Rexy contract it could also be B.

Watching Geno Smith struggle with his downfield reads one could come to the conclusion it is C.

As a Pats fan reading into the Jet situation play out in free agency you could reach D as a possibility.

I guess that would be E for me...LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think Idzik is very much like BB in the sense that he has an idea of what he thinks a player is worth and for the most part won't budge on that valuation.  It seems pretty clear that he wants to build through the draft.  The problem thus far imo is that with the salary cap floor it's getting to the point where the Jets are going to have to overpay for lower level FA's, keep Sanchez or frontload some extensions in order to get above the floor.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

Edit: I realized the the salary cap floor rules are over a 4 year period meaning Idzik could be conserving cap space for when he feels the team is closer to making a run (i.e. after he has had a few drafts).  The Jets don't necessarily need to spend more this year to be in compliance with league rules.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have our first answer, from "The Ghost":

TP, based on the article in the NY Daily News it looks like it could be A.

If you read in between the lines and the structure of Rexy contract it could also be B.

Watching Geno Smith struggle with his downfield reads one could come to the conclusion it is C.

As a Pats fan reading into the Jet situation play out in free agency you could reach D as a possibility.

I guess that would be E for me...LOL

[/QUOTE]

Sorry didn't see this thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I think Idzik is very much like BB in the sense that he has an idea of what he thinks a player is worth and for the most part won't budge on that valuation.  It seems pretty clear that he wants to build through the draft.  The problem thus far imo is that with the salary cap floor it's getting to the point where the Jets are going to have to overpay for lower level FA's, keep Sanchez or frontload some extensions in order to get above the floor.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

Don't know what the motivation is behind the leak but usually where there is smoke there is fire.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/glacial-idzik-toasted-jets-gm-ripped-cb-article-1.1725044

Edit: Add this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/report-jets-privately-apologize-for-negotiating-tactics/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Edit: I realized the the salary cap floor rules are over a 4 year period meaning Idzik could be conserving cap space for when he feels the team is closer to making a run (i.e. after he has had a few drafts).  The Jets don't necessarily need to spend more this year to be in compliance with league rules.

So...is your answer then:

(a) incompetence, because he's not spending to the cap as required? or, is it

(d) that Idzik is wisely waiting for the Patriots to wither over the next year or two...and conserving his cap space to make his move then?    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Looks like TP is still obsessed with the Jets on a patsie forum. Strange how much you sound like the bean queen. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The NY Daily News makes a case that the answer is (a), incompetence: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/glacial-idzik-toasted-jets-gm-ripped-cb-article-1.1725044

LOL!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

The NY Daily News makes a case that the answer is (a), incompetence: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/glacial-idzik-toasted-jets-gm-ripped-cb-article-1.1725044

LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

unfortunately for Idzik where he ended up makes it look worse...however I am happy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

unfortunately for Idzik where he ended up makes it look worse...however I am happy!
    [/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: DRC appears to be a necessary signing for the Giants. Incidently, they just brought back WR Mario Manningham: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/mario-manningham-returns-to-the-giants/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It just doesn't matter one bit where he ended up. It would have been a terrible signing for the Jets. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RustyTheToeJammer. Show RustyTheToeJammer's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like TP is still obsessed with the Jets on a patsie forum. Strange how much you sound like the bean queen. 

[/QUOTE]

Hi mike hows the jets flying in NY lol... Speaking of obsession its quite strange to see a little jets troll fan like yourself hanging around in a pats forum even in the off season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

E...E...E...E...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The NY JETS SUCK....

Pass around the "FUNKY MONKEY", the "Official artificial PEACE WEED of the NY JETS!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to RustyTheToeJammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi mike hows the jets flying in NY lol... Speaking of obsession its quite strange to see a little jets troll fan like yourself hanging around in a pats forum even in the off season.

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't help but notice how Mike was reluctant to take the quiz...LOL!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

What I take away from the Daily News article is that he is inexperienced and "lets the market come to him". Given the mishaps and overspending which can happen in free agency this is not necessarily a bad practice. Everyone knows the best way to build a team is through the draft. On the other hand, Elway has taken the opposite approach but the circumstances of his team are wholly different. Perhaps, this is just the NY media applying  pressure advocating for instant results?

I think he needs time as a GM to find himself. If he has a good draft, no one will care what he does in free agency. And if Geno Smith does well this year, it will be very positive for Idzik.

On the other hand, is it fair to evaluate Rex negatively if he has no talent to work with?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What I take away from the Daily News article is that he is inexperienced and "lets the market come to him". Given the mishaps and overspending which can happen in free agency this is not necessarily a bad practice. Everyone knows the best way to build a team is through the draft. On the other hand, Elway has taken the opposite approach but the circumstances of his team are wholly different. Perhaps, this is just the NY media applying  pressure advocating for instant results?

I think he needs time as a GM to find himself. If he has a good draft, no one will care what he does in free agency. And if Geno Smith does well this year, it will be very positive for Idzik.

On the other hand, is it fair to evaluate Rex negatively if he has no talent to work with?  

[/QUOTE]

LOL...I might be a wee bit prejudiced on this subject NYC, but YEAHHHH, Rex has to pay...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Obviouly, both the NY media and fans are frustrated with Idzig.

RESPONSE: Judging from the content of your post, I'm going to hazard a guess that your answer to the question posed is choice (a), his incompetence, due to inexperience.

RESPONSE: Absolutely not! But, Idzig may be doing what he's doing to purposesly deprive Rex of the talent he needs in order to win....so that Idzig can fire Ryan, assume complete control over the team, and hire his own coach.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Judging from the content of your post, I'm going to hazard a guess that your answer to the question posed is choice (a), his incompetence, due to inexperience.

RESPONSE: Absolutely not! But, Idzig may be doing what he's doing to purposesly deprive Rex of the talent he needs in order to win....so that Idzig can fire Ruan, assume complete control over the team, and hire his own coach.   

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ain't it GREAT!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Absolutely not! But, Idzig may be doing what he's doing to purposesly deprive Rex of the talent he needs in order to win....so that Idzig can fire Ryan, assume complete control over the team, and hire his own coach.   

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ain't it GREAT!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

The clown car continues to roll onward...LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

TP and MEL

As I get older I take less pleasure in other's mishaps. (including the NY Jets!). 

On the other hand I am curious what Rex will do with this team this year? The team definitely plays for him and he has improved somewhat as a coach but the talent base is depleted. I see that as the responsibility of both Rex and the GM's. If Geno improves as a QB and shows legitimate promise, I think he keeps his job. Especially since, offensive development is not his specialty.