Since this is the ongoing debate here at BDC, I want to take a look at each playoff game from 2007 - present and just review Brady's performances and how they affected the team in W or L....
2007: Historic Regular Season (16-0, 50 TDs, blah, blah)
Div: 31-20 Win vs. Jacksonville- Brady: 26/28 262Yds 3Tds 97.6QBR
- This game was an amazing performance by Brady. He spread the ball everywhere this game and Maroney actually ran well so the entire offense was clicking this day. Long drives and TDs.
AFCCG: 21-12 Win vs. San Diego- Brady: 22/33 209Yds 2Tds 3Ints 18.6 QBR
- No doubt, this game was BAD on Brady's part. some bad red zone interceptions made this game a lot closer than it had to be, but thankfully the defense was good then and made stops and forced TOs and Maroney ran the ball well again this day too. But, definitely a tough day for TB
SB42: 17-14 Loss vs. NYG- Brady: 29/48 262Yds 1Td 53.8 QBR
- Say what you want, but Brady led this offense, that struggled all day, downfield to a score with less than 3 minutes remaining to give a 14-10 lead. Outside of the horrible Asante drop (which gives nightmares) and the Tyree catch (worse nightmares), this team goes 19-0 and makes insane history. Anyways, Maroney was far less effective this game, only a 2.6YPC avg compared to the 5+ he had the previous games. Also, Brady took 5 sacks in this game, while he took 3 combined in the other two playoff games. The run game fell apart, and the offensive line was horrible. Brady couldn't control the OL and RB performance but did his job in leaving the field in the 4th with a lead.
Div. 33-14 Loss vs. Baltimore- Brady: 23/42 154Yds 2Tds 3Ints 4.6 QBR
- While I thought this team had no SB chance anyway because they sucked all year, Brady had a horrible game, but the game didn't start off well when Rice took it to the house play 1. Then the OL totally broke down and Suggs had the FF on TB leading to a 14-0 lead for Balt. like 2 mins in. This game was out of hand, while Brady did play bad, this game was sorry all around. The team came out flat and got killed.
2010: (14-2, #1 seed, TB unanimous MVP)
Div. 28-21 vs. Jets - Brady: 29/45 299 2Tds 1Int 8.9 QBR
- This was another game that sucked. The offense couldn't do anything to sustain a competent drive, while the defense made Sanchez look GOOD. 16/25 165 3tds for him, that's horrible and the D couldn't stop the run. Brady was sacked 5 times this game too, showing the OL weakness again. There was no deep threat on this team, so the Jets kept everything in front and sent the dogs at Brady. Blame who you want, but the OL sucked, the run game sucked, Brady sucked, the defense sucked, coaching sucked.
2011: (13-3, #1 seed)
Div. 45-10 Win vs. Denver- Brady: 26/34 363Yds 6Tds 1Int 95.1 QBR
- Well, I always thought this Denver team sucked... so I wasn't surprised to see the Pats win handedly. But, Brady and the offense's performance was amazing. 6Tds even against the crap D is very hard. Notice how Brady WAS NOT sacked in this game either while our Defense actually had 5 sacks and made stops! We were so much better than this crap team so everyone looked good.
AFCCG 23-20 Win vs. Baltimore- Brady: 22/36 239Yds 0Tds (1 Rush) 2Ints 59.6 QBR
- There was a lot of luck involved for the Pats in this one to win (the Lee Evans drop, and the Cundiff whiff).. but that was after a couple of horrible decisions on Brady's part. Spikes had a big Int then a play later Brady decided to whip a deep one into double coverage that was picked off... horrible play. Then when getting the ball again with little time left, the offense went 3 and out giving Balt. a huge chance.... Brady even said so himself after this game "I sucked out there" which in my opinion, he did. Tough day for TB.
SB 21-17 Loss vs. NYG - Brady: 27/41 276Yds 2Tds 1Int 70.3 QBR
- Brady played a very good game on this day. He set a record for consecutive completions. But the negatives, he had the safety early, which was such a weird play and was kinda BS. Later on, on a 3rd down he sent a bomb deep downfield to a very injured Gronk which was picked off. While one could say, well nothing was open so Brady pretty much punted with that throw, it still was a boneheaded throw. Brady played a very good game here though. If Welker didn't drop the pass that hit him dead in the hands, the Patriots win the game and Brady is MVP again. The offense left the defense with THE LEAD again in this game and they could not get a stop. Brady played well.
2012: (12-4, #2 seed)
Div. 41-28 Win vs. Houston - Brady: 25/40 344Yds 3Tds 0Int 76.4 QBR
- Brady played another great game here. The Patriot own the Texans at this point and did what they wanted out there winning the game easily. Brady killed it.
AFCCG: 28-13 Loss vs. Baltimore - Brady: 29/54 320Yds 1Td 2Ints 40.2 QBR
- Once Talib went out, I thought this was over. The defense couldn't stop Balt, but in reality, while the offense was able to move in between the 20s fine, they couldn't convert in the redzone especially at the end of the first half where the team settled for a FG when they had a chance at 7. Brady had one garbage time pick and another BAD one. The team was still in it to win, but then Bernard Pollard f'd up ridley and put a damper on it. Another huge Welker drop was big too. Brady's play- ehhh no.
Div. 43-22 Win vs. Colts - Brady: 13/25 175Yds 0Tds 0Ints 75.1 QBR
- We all remember this one vividly and the defense was a key cog here forcing a lot of TOs and applying a lot of pressure and the run game was unstoppable here making Brady's job very easy as a game manager. He made the throws he had to and did just fine. The rest of the team did the winning work.
AFCCG 26-16 Loss vs. Denver - Brady: 24/38 277Yds 1Td 0Int 66.1 QBR
- The run game in this game was nonexistent. The gameplan was weird (Slater?!?) and the OL didn't help much. Brady had a couple of BAD misses to Edelman and Collie on deep balls that could've changed the game, but once again, once Talib went out with injury, this game was over. The defense was beyond decimated at this point and Manning went untouched all game. Dennard was overmatched vs. Thomas and the D couldn't handle the run either. The defense couldn't get off of the field to save its life. Denver slowed down and killed clock. Even if the offense put up 28, Denver would've put up 35-40 on us easily. I don't even touch Brady for blame on this one, as Gronk was hurt and the defense was nonexistent through injuries.
So, turning around and rating Brady's performances as winner, loser or even.... I'd score it as:
Winner: 5 ('07 Div, SB42, '11 Div., SB46, '12 Div,)
Loser: 4 ('07 AFCCG, '09 Div., '10 Div, '11 AFCCG)
Even: 3 ('12 AFCCG, '13 Div., '13 AFCCG)
So for me, in my objective eye, I give him a 5-4-3 record. He has had some amazing performances and some pretty bad ones at times. I think a lot has to be said about the defense and OL protection over these years.
In both SB's, Brady left the field with the lead for the defense to make a stop and the Pats are world champs. That sucks. Also in SB42 the protection was horrible and so was the run game, which needs to be looked at too. The Pats ran the ball well in only a few of these playoff games. Whether its on the coaches gameplan or just them seeing the OL sucks that day and they cant run it.
But, one thing's for certain, this team isn't who it is every year, a contender, without Brady. Some years, 2009 & 2013, there wasn't much around him. Some years, 2007 & 2011, he had amazing talent around and couldn't do it for defensive reasons. Brady hasn't been the same Brady from 2001-2004 in postseasons, but he's still a GOAT QB and the guy I want with the ball when it counts most.