Taking the foot off the accelerator!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

Taking the foot off the accelerator!!!!!!!

How sickening was last night.......How many times in the past couple years have the Pats raced out to a big lead only to see the game decided in the last few minutes because the offensive play calling goes asleep. Belichek has this habit of putting a harness on the offense when they get ahead by 10+ points.  The go ultra conservative road and try to wind down the clock.  I can understand it against teams that struggle on offense, but damn, the Colts can score with the best of them.  Keep the offense chugging.  What are we afraid of?  We've got Brady leading the offense and in the end what is the difference if we loose because Brady throws a pick-6 or we loose like last night.  

This isn't something new either.  They did the same thing in the Superbowl against the Eagles. They were pounding the Eagles to death when they just went in to ultra-conservative mode and almost blew it.   AFC champoinship game a couple years ago in Indy too.   They got to take a look at the strategy.      I feed we now must go 2-1 in our next three games.   Gotta beat the Jets and Fins in my book.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Taking the foot off the accelerator!!!!!!!

At this point there really are no more important games. We just need to win our division which we are on our way to doing regardless of what happened last night.So you are right. Jets and Phins on the agenda.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

This seems to be the Pats MO over the past few years and they need to change it.
    At least be aggressive enough to grind out some first downs. If BB is thinking "kill the clock" well get some first downs, give the D some rest. The Pats go all turtle mode and have 3 and outs that takes no time off the clock and wears down the D in the 8 minutes of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

I agree! No more mercy. Score and score more!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

In Response to Re: Taking the foot off the accelerator!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]This seems to be the Pats MO over the past few years and they need to change it. At least be aggressive enough to grind out some first downs. If BB is thinking "kill the clock" well get some first downs, give the D some rest. The Pats go all turtle mode and have 3 and outs that takes no time off the clock and wears down the D in the 8 minutes of the game.
    Posted by Harleyroadking99[/QUOTE]
    More importatnly, if you go into "kill the clock" mode, you better have a defense ready to force a 3 and out on the offense if you don't get any first downs on offense.  By the 4th quarter, we were down many people to injuries and we were winded.  We should have hit the gas on offense, not go conservative.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

No more Mr. Niceguy especially against Peyton who has proved that he can score alot of points in a short amount of time. The Pats need to score 50+ against him.
    I'd rather here the "running up the score" crying form their side, then the why, why, why from ours.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsMonkTime. Show ItsMonkTime's posts

In Response to Taking the foot off the accelerator!!!!!!!:

Well, there may have been a bit of that. But, don't forget the Pats had two good drives blown up by turnovers--the Brady interception and the Maroney fumble on the goal line. So, I'm not sure it was totally a case of taking their foot off the accelerator. I think the 2007 season showed they have no problem going for blood when they have the opportunity. Certainly, I saw no habit of a "harness" being put on the offense then.

I think the combination of some relatively inexeperienced defensive players, lack of defensive depth and key D injuries, and a surprisingly worn-down looking defense in the second half of the 4th quarter had more to do with the loss. I really coulnd't understand how the defense was so worn down, even with the Colts' no-huddle, because it had plenty of time to rest when the offense _was_ racking up the yards, points, and minutes earlier in the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

i agree with this theory but more towards the defense than offense...i mean lets be realistic, all of 2007 and at times this year the pats have been merciless offensively and scored every single point they possibly could...

the thing i cant stand is the soft prevent type of Defenses they go to down the stretch of many of these games...they seem stop attacking, stop making plays on the ball, play behind receivers and give them the underneath routes..they have developed into the best in the nfl at letting teams back into games instead of finishing them off by staying aggressive defensively..

take last nights game...they actually played manning pretty well most of the game, picked him off twice, hurried and flustered him a bit...they were applying more pressure on manning than the colts were on brady most of the game..but in the 4th they started backing off and playing soft, and whaddaya know, manning magically comes alive in the 4th quarter...meanwhile, the colts kept blitzing brady and trying to get in his face until the very end...

Sections
Shortcuts