Tale of two halves… part2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tale of two halves… part2

Last season there was a running thread about the Patriot’s road woes, inefficiency on offense particularly in the 2nd half and since seemingly nothing has changed this season why don’t we revive the debate?

My point previously was that since Charlie Weis left we haven’t had a winning offensive game planner and in game manager to rival BB’s genius on defense.  Sure we’ve had moments of offensive explosions (07’) but the Super Bowl loss to the Giants was a microcosm of the overall problems inherent with a unbalanced  “pass first” attack and a degeneration of a philosophy based on the Earnhardt/Perkins offensive system used to great success by Parcell’s Giants and the championship Patriot’s teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy#Erhardt-Perkins_offensive_system

Last season we were plagued by delay of game penalties after TV timeouts, predictable, unbalanced play calling and an overall lack of running game.  The running plays consisted of a sweep and off tackle and the passing plays late in games revert to 5 step drops, 5 wide; which unless you’re playing from behind make no sense whatsoever. 

For those that remember Tom Brady’s most successful (winning) years they were a “dink and dunk” offense predicated on screens, boot leg play action, throwing to backs and tight ends all paired with power running… like what the Jets beat us with last night.  Protecting a rookie QB by giving him high percentage plays and misdirection, the last time I saw it done well in New England was when Josh McDaniel’s dusted off these old plays to protect Matt Cassall after Tommy went down, when Tommy returned it was back to the run and shoot.

People can say all they want about how “the league has changed” but it is a crock, the teams that are successful can still run the ball and when they can’t, throw screen passes and short passes over the middle to get the receivers involved. We do well for one quarter now because we script plays for the first quarter and after that it's in the hands of a novice to hold a lead. 

The biggest loss the Patriots have endured over BB’s tenure was that of Charlie Weis and not any player, until BB admits that he cannot teach any assistant game time readiness, an overall knowledge of play calling and the playbook, instinct honed from experience and clock management, then the PAT’s season will end in the AFC championship game or sooner. 

It’s ego to think you can do it alone or teach that which can only be taught over time, this is a win now league… hire an O coordinator and pay him what he's worth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Tale of two halves… part2

This is a great breakdown Wozzy.

I just assumed judging by last years draft and the Crumpler acquisition that the coaching staff saw where they went wrong. It was obvious we "lost our way" on offense. We all saw it the last quarter of the 07 season. Yes we put up big #s on offense but that did not translate to red zone production and 3rd down conversions over the past few seasons.

I am on record as being extremely opposed to the Maroney give away. If we cannot use Fred Taylor as a "work horse back" then we are in trouble. Big trouble. BJGE, Morris and even Faulk are NOT 20 carry RBS in this league. If Faulk is out for an extended period of time then we have MAJOR concerns on offense.

With all that said I still think we have the best personnel on offense to effectively run 2 TE sets, utilize the play action pass (Bradys best weapon) and screen passes to fast agile guys like WW,Edelman and even Tate.

I just don't understand how we "Forgot" to use the players we have and ended up playing right into the defense's hands. They never rushed more then 5 guys in the 2nd half. They sat back and covered all options in the passing game and eventually got to Brady.

Anyway here is to some offensive ingenuity next Sunday. God knows we have the talent. Please lets use it accordingly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Wozzy you are obviously very smart and know a lot about football but I think you are viewing Weiss's years with rose colored glasses.  The offense didn't get any worse when he left and it has arguably gotten much better.  Weiss's offense was very good but it had its share of bad moments:

2001 playoffs:

13 points in 4 quarters against the Raiders (3 in OT)
    10 points against Steelers
    13 points against Rams

2003:

17 against Titans
    22 points against Colts (including 5 field goals)
    32 against Panthers

2004:

20 against Colts
    34 against Steelers
    24 against Eagles

Other than the Steelers and Panthers games none of these performances were really phenomenal.  You may say Weiss's offense was more efficient and moved the chains but if you look at most of these games you will see most drives ended like this:  punt, punt ... punt.  Even against the Eagles where were trying to run out the clock, our last two drives pre-Rodney interception were 3 and outs.  

And look at our 2nd half against the Colts in 2003:  

FG, FG, INT, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out (FG because we started on Colts' 20).  

And yes our offense did pretty well in 2005 when Corey Dillon fell off the face of the Earth, in 2006 when Caldwell and Gaffney were our wideouts, obviously in 2007, and was pretty darn good in 2008 with Matt Cassell.  And we were one of the best offenses last year and lead the league in time of possession even though Brady was one year removed from knee surgery, Moss had a separated shoulder, no 3rd WR, no pass catching TEs, and subpar running backs.

So no I don't think our offense has gotten any worse without Weiss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tale of two halves… part2:
    Wozzy you are obviously very smart and know a lot about football but I think you are viewing Weiss's years with rose colored glasses.  The offense didn't get any worse when he left and it has arguably gotten much better.  Weiss's offense was very good but it had its share of bad moments: 2001 playoffs: 13 points in 4 quarters against the Raiders (3 in OT) 10 points against Steelers 13 points against Rams 2003: 17 against Titans 22 points against Colts (including 5 field goals) 32 against Panthers 2004: 20 against Colts 34 against Steelers 24 against Eagles Other than the Steelers and Panthers games none of these performances were really phenomenal.  You may say Weiss's offense was more efficient and moved the chains but if you look at most of these games you will see most drives ended like this:  punt, punt ... punt.  Even against the Eagles where were trying to run out the clock, our last two drives pre-Rodney interception were 3 and outs.   And look at our 2nd half against the Colts in 2003:   FG, FG, INT, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out (FG because we started on Colts' 20).   And yes our offense did pretty well in 2005 when Corey Dillon fell off the face of the Earth, in 2006 when Caldwell and Gaffney were our wideouts, obviously in 2007, and was pretty darn good in 2008 with Matt Cassell.  And we were one of the best offenses last year and lead the league in time of possession even though Brady was one year removed from knee surgery, Moss had a separated shoulder, no 3rd WR, no pass catching TEs, and subpar running backs. So no I don't think our offense has gotten any worse without Weiss.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

It depends how you judge better; if you believe in a philosophy of "bend don't break" defense that makes an opponent work for every yard and doesn't give up the big play, special teams that put a premium on field position and an offense that compliments the two other phases by using time consuming, physically pounding drives, plays down hill, wears out an opposing defense, is a first down machine that always comes away with points in the red zone and doesn't ever turn the ball over... than those Charlie Weis teams were superior.

All three phases worked in tandem because the offense controlled the time of possession; in short we had the ball longer, kept the opposing offenses off the field and opportunistically attacked on defense.  Philosophically it is "better" because your offense gives the beating instead of receiving it, O linemen can attack forward instead of falling back on their heels and by running strong it draws the defense in which exposes them to the pass. 

Stats alone can't be the measuring stick for a team and the only stat that really matters is win/loss, Charlie Weis's offense is geared to winning in snow and inclimate weather which a passing O isn't... there are so many reasons why the old system was better, we need to get back to Patriot football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well I think if you are describing a general philosophical approach to playing offense outdoors in New England in January, then I agree you want to emphasize a complementary, efficient, time consuming offense.  A few points on this:

1.  I think BB has always sought to have a versatile offense - one that can be smash mouth against physically weaker teams or in bad weather, and one that can also score in a hurry or convert on 3rd and long.  I think for the most part we have had this offense all decade, but it has gotten better.  We used a grinding running game (with efficient passing) to eat up the clock against the Chargers in the 07 championship - I don't think any of our championship teams did that as successfully.  And in more recent years we have pounded physically smaller teams on the ground (e.g. Broncos in 2008, Falcons last year). 

2.  Weiss's offense admittedly failed to control the clock in the way you are suggesting in most of the playoff games in the championship years.  Our opening possessions against the Rams, Panthers and Eagles were punt, punt, ... punt, and except against the Panthers we ended with punt, punt, punt.  Same thing against the Colts in the 03 Championship and against the Titans the week before.  This doesn't mean the offense was bad or that Weiss was bad, it just means we were up against good defenses and couldn't be successful on every drive ... just like we were up against a very good defense on Sunday.

3.  I think your argument is too general to apply criticism to O'Brien.  The specific results of O'Brien's offense are not much different from those of Weiss.  Don't forget we were up against the best collective pass defense in the league since 1993 last year ... that would have stopped any offense, Weiss, McDaniels or O'Brien.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

3.  I think your argument is too general to apply criticism to O'Brien.  The specific results of O'Brien's offense are not much different from those of Weiss.  Don't forget we were up against the best collective pass defense in the league since 1993 last year ... that would have stopped any offense, Weiss, McDaniels or O'Brien.

The biggest difference I can see is that the amount of talent we possess now far surpasses anything that we had in the past.  Charlie never had a Moss lined up outside or quality tight ends like now.  The biggest difference beyond that was wins; 3 Super Bowl wins to the one loss we've had since and multiple early exits... he did so much more with so much less.

Also if there's anything else I miss it's that we used to be faced with a 3rd and one or 3rd and 2; now all we seem to face is third and ten or longer...  run, run, and pass a high completion third and short play.  Charlie used to get every receiver possible involved, 3rd string fullbacks and 4th string tightends all caught passes, not anymore...

Now all I see is 3 and out, especially in the 2nd half which leads me to think they script the first quarter of plays which work well and then they're left to O'Briens play calling from there on out and it stinks...  at the end of the day he fails two major tests; one are you winning games and two he doesn't even pass the eyeball test, watching his play calling in the 2nd half is painful and it's entirely too easy to predict where he is going before the ball is even snapped.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Wozzy doesn't like statistics. I've argued with him the past two years on why Maroney sucked and backed it up with stats. Wozzy still contended that the statistics weren't a measuring stick and Maroney was an All-Pro back. So none of you will win an argument with Wozzy using statistics. But I'm right there with you on it.

While I agree the play calling could be better, the biggest issue is with the defense. We won with Big Charlie calling the plays because our defense could get off the field. Our defense didn't give up big plays and held opponents to field goals instead of TD's in the red zone.

Right now, the defense gives up long drives and TD's. This puts pressure on the offense and causes the offense to change its game plan. Notice how the offense (play calling) in the first half was different than the 2nd half? What else in the game caused that? It was because the Jets pounded the ball down the field on our D and the D gave up TD's. Next thing you knew, the Jets were winning and the Pats offense went into panic mode.

It is much more of a defensive issue than an offensive one. Big Charlie never ochestrated the 2007 offensive power house that we witnessed. The offense was seldom put in a position of panic because the defense could keep teams out of the red zone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The talent is better in some ways (Moss/Welker) but at least last year the other talent wasn't as good.  The offense had plenty of 3 and outs late in the game under Weiss but the difference is they still found a way to win with the help of the defense and last year they couldn't.  I think it's too early to blame O'Brien for this ... the young wideouts and tight ends are still learning and the running game is a bit of a mess.  And against good defenses the offense is going to struggle no matter who your coordinator is or how much talent you have.  BB has faith in O'Brien and that is enough for me.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

No, I'm simply pointing out the fact that many of Weiss's second halfs in the playoffs were pretty much the same as O'Brien's second halfs against good defenses.  We won in spite of the offense's performance on those drives.  Today we can't do it, but it's not because of O'Brien.  If history is any indication, Weiss would have the same struggles.

Remember when we got rid of Pees, eveyone thought we'd be so much better on D?  Has it turned out that way?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

No, Weiss is a better coordinator than O'Brien.  I think we would have scored and would have a better chance of winning the game.  But Weiss is gone, and O'Brien isn't that bad.  If there were a better man to lead the offense, I believe BB would have found him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

One other way Weiss was better ... you could count on him and Brady to make a come back for the win.  The O may have struggled to hold onto the ball while protecting a lead, but when they needed to score (against the Raiders, Rams, and Panthers), they got the job done, and with less talent.  So yes O'Brien & Co have a long way to go in that area. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No, I'm simply pointing out the fact that many of Weiss's second halfs in the playoffs were pretty much the same as O'Brien's second halfs against good defenses.  We won in spite of the offense's performance on those drives.  Today we can't do it, but it's not because of O'Brien.  If history is any indication, Weiss would have the same struggles. Remember when we got rid of Pees, eveyone thought we'd be so much better on D?  Has it turned out that way?

Except that we won every playoff game that Weiss coached for us. Lets not forget that it was defensive league back then. The recent rule changes have turned out 30 td 4000 yard QBs like nothing. It was difficult to get multiple 1st downs on drives. Weiss called the plays in the crunch that worked. He used multiple receiving options. He ran the ball more effectively with guys like Antoine Smith and Kevin Faulk(as a 130 carry back) then we have every year without him.

He did all of this with a young and still learning Tom Brady and a bunch of dwarfs on the receiving crew. You honestly don't think weiss would work wonders with our current offensive personnel? He couldn't have figured out what has gone wrong in the second half of road games of the past 2 seasons? History shows us he could and would figure it out. His resume in N.E speaks for it self. He did more with less.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Tale of two halves… part2:
    Last season there was a running thread about the Patriot’s road woes, inefficiency on offense particularly in the 2 nd half and since seemingly nothing has changed this season why don’t we revive the debate? My point previously was that since Charlie Weis left we haven’t had a winning offensive game planner and in game manager to rival BB’s genius on defense.   Sure we’ve had moments of offensive explosions (07’) but the Super Bowl loss to the Giants was a microcosm of the overall problems inherent with a unbalanced   “pass first” attack and a degeneration of a philosophy based on the Earnhardt/Perkins offensive system used to great success by Parcell’s Giants and the championship Patriot’s teams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy#Erhardt-Perkins_offensive_system Last season we were plagued by delay of game penalties after TV timeouts, predictable, unbalanced play calling and an overall lack of running game.   The running plays consisted of a sweep and off tackle and the passing plays late in games revert to 5 step drops, 5 wide; which unless you’re playing from behind make no sense whatsoever.   For those that remember Tom Brady’s most successful (winning) years they were a “dink and dunk” offense predicated on screens, boot leg play action, throwing to backs and tight ends all paired with power running… like what the Jets beat us with last night.   Protecting a rookie QB by giving him high percentage plays and misdirection, the last time I saw it done well in New England was when Josh McDaniel’s dusted off these old plays to protect Matt Cassall after Tommy went down, when Tommy returned it was back to the run and shoot. People can say all they want about how “the league has changed” but it is a crock, the teams that are successful can still run the ball and when they can’t, throw screen passes and short passes over the middle to get the receivers involved.  We do well for one quarter now because we script plays for the first quarter and after that it's in the hands of a novice to hold a lead.  The biggest loss the Patriots have endured over BB’s tenure was that of Charlie Weis and not any player, until BB admits that he cannot teach any assistant game time readiness, an overall knowledge of play calling and the playbook, instinct honed from experience and clock management, then the PAT’s season will end in the AFC championship game or sooner.   It’s ego to think you can do it alone or teach that which can only be taught over time, this is a win now league… hire an O coordinator and pay him what he's worth.
    Posted by wozzy

...and since Romeo Crennel left we haven’t had a winning defensive game planner and in game manager to rival BB’s genius on defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots are well-coached but don't have an extreme amount of talent, especially not the last two years with all the grade school kids on the field.  What we're seeing is the other coaches all being outcoached for about 1 1/2 quarters. 

Best examples:  the Pats suddenly show up on Sunday in a 4-3 defensive front, or even a 5-2 defensive front against running teams, or their offensive line fires off the ball instead of dropping back to pass block.  They've been practicing this new formation all week.  The other side is slow to react and slow to catch on.

Then the opposing coaches get wise, they adjust, and the Patriots players are unable to adjust because of their tender years.

BB doesn't mind scoring a few extra touchdowns in the first quarter, then playing a normal game.  The points often come in handy later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I think it's too easy to blame it all on rule changes ... there haven't been that many this decade (point of emphasis after 5 yards, no hit zone below knees and QB's helmet, no hitting defenseless receiver in the head).  And the talent on the offense is worse in a lot of ways (Faulk was older last year, no good RB, no possession wideouts like Branch and Givens). 

STP43FAN wrote this on another thread.  It's overly harsh but reminds us that Weiss had plenty of flaws:

"Charlie can't coach, as he's proving with a 2-0 KC team winning despite him (the same was true of his era with the Patriots).  "This stuff never happened when Charlie was O-coordinator."  Oh yes it did - the entire 2002 season was abysmal playcalling by Charlie; the second half against Indianapolis in 2003 was hideous playcalling and execution (no killer instinct by Charlie); second halves against Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Buffalo, etc. were battles of attrition with uninspiring calls and some bad execution; Charlie also threw in trick plays (vs. Jets in 2003, Cards in 2004, and elsewhere) that blew up into turnovers; AFC Title Game against Pittsburgh Charlie took his foot off the pedal; in the SB against the Rams Charlie played for overtime (he admitted to SI that he was going to yank Brady and kill the clock had the pass to Troy Brown not been caught) - it was Bledsoe who overruled him when he told Brady, "F**k it, just sling the ball."   
    Charlie Weis is a buffoon."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

While I agree the play calling could be better, the biggest issue is with the defense. We won with Big Charlie calling the plays because our defense could get off the field. Our defense didn't give up big plays and held opponents to field goals instead of TD's in the red zone. Right now, the defense gives up long drives and TD's. This puts pressure on the offense and causes the offense to change its game plan. Notice how the offense (play calling) in the first half was different than the 2nd half? What else in the game caused that? It was because the Jets pounded the ball down the field on our D and the D gave up TD's. Next thing you knew, the Jets were winning and the Pats offense went into panic mode. It is much more of a defensive issue than an offensive one. Big Charlie never ochestrated the 2007 offensive power house that we witnessed. The offense was seldom put in a position of panic because the defense could keep teams out of the red zone.
    Posted by 4Adam13

Brilliant assessment statmaster, it's the defense's fault for putting too much pressure on the offense...

Here's an interesting stat;  we scored 0 points in the 3rd quarter and 0 points in the 4th quarter... 

Tom Brady was intercepted twice and Mesko punted twice, are you even watching the right game?  The Jets won the time of possession battle even though we were winning it at the half, which means their offense was on the field most of the entire second half and ours couldn't do anything except hand the ball back to the Jets...  get a clue. 

Moreover our offense is supposed to be our strength and it's supposed to protect our young, rebuilding defense; instead it hangs them out to dry with 3 and outs and interceptions. 

The best defense in the world will not last if it has to play the whole second half, the least O'Brien could have done was to go for some first downs so the D could catch their breath, but no, he thought it was more prudent to go downfield just so the Jets could get the ball back faster...

"Notice how the offense (play calling) in the first half was different than the 2nd half? What else in the game caused that? It was because the Jets pounded the ball down the field on our D and the D gave up TD's. Next thing you knew, the Jets were winning and the Pats offense went into panic mode."

Another brillaint deduction statmeister but we actually kicked off to start the second half, our defense stopped them and forced them to punt!  With a lead in hand the offense went in to "panic mode" so you sound pretty silly when you blame the defense for stinking up the joint...

"Big Charlie never ochestrated the 2007 offensive power house that we witnessed. The offense was seldom put in a position of panic because the defense could keep teams out of the red zone."

Maybe you forgot but we won two Super Bowls and numerous playoff games on last second field goals, the offense never "panicked" because Weis called all the right plays to put them into position to win, but it was a highly stressful position to be in and the offense and Vinatieri won the day not the defense. 

In 2007 we didn't win anything, you don't get the Lombardi trophy because you had great stats.

You want some stats stataroney; when Charlie Weis was coordinator Tom Brady had the highest 3rd down completion percentage and red zone percentage nearly every season; last sunday we converted 5 out of 11 third down attempts and 1 out of 3 red zone attempts.  Stop playing fantasy football, your values are getting distorted.

Here's another stat; Charlie Weis 5 championship rings, Bill Parcells and Belichick without Weis... zero rings. 

PS Maroney is gone now so move on and maybe you can explain why we didn't run the ball in the 2nd half since we're so much better off without him?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

You get no argument from me Wozzy, the offense lost the game on Sunday, not the defense.  I don't blame O'Brien though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You get no argument from me Wozzy, the offense lost the game on Sunday, not the defense.  I don't blame O'Brien though.

Mighty like every other great organization in just about any endevour, things start at the top and filter down.  Weis was a first down machine, O'brien couldn't find a first down if it isn't already scripted into the first quarter playbook prior to the game.

Charlie's offense beat up other teams by hammering them with Antoine Smith and Corey Dillon, now our offense falls back on it's heels with no back in the backfield 5 wide and ends the game with a sack by Jason Taylor... he hit Brady so hard he hurt himself.

Charlie's was a high percentage, highly efficient offense built around a power running game that wins the time of possession and just waits the other team out.  Whoever holds the ball longest wins almost every time. 

Our offense is just painful to watch now, whereas before it was a joy, there were always new and inventive ways Weis would get people involved; screens, counter running plays, crackbacks, flea flickers, play action bootlegs... now it is the same thing the entire second half; Tom Brady takes a 5 step drop and gets sacked, Tom takes a 5 step drop and throws into double coverage...  where is our running game? 

Don't say we can't run because Fred Taylor was gashing the Jets in the first half, last season we ran great in the first half... but obviously there's been a philosophical difference or change and dumbing down of our playbook since Charlie left in 2006. 

Giants fans used to complain in the 80's that the G men were boring, not flashy but they won.  The early Belichick Pat's teams weren't stat crazy but they were effective, give me boring everytime as long as I get to smoke my victory cuban stogie after a win.  We want to go back to winning lets start running for as many attempts as we're passing, let's put Brady in a 3rd and 2 situation instead of the 3rd and long situation we face every game now... power running, time of possession, these things are tried and true.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"when Charlie Weis was coordinator Tom Brady had the highest 3rd down completion percentage and red zone percentage nearly every season;"

"Our offense is just painful to watch now, whereas before it was a joy, there were always new and inventive ways Weis would get people involved; screens, counter running plays, crackbacks, flea flickers, play action bootlegs... now it is the same thing the entire second half; Tom Brady takes a 5 step drop and gets sacked, Tom takes a 5 step drop and throws into double coverage...  where is our running game?" Quotes by Wozzy

Wozzy, this is refreshing. A lot of fans are blaming Brady for the past loss. Some are going as far to say LAST SEASON WAS ON BRADY'S SHOULDERS AS WELL?? I don't understand where they get this idea from? SOme are even saying that Brady will never be the same QB or that he can't play in the clutch???????????

Now I am not saying Weiss is the only reason Brady did well(Brady has proven otherwise) but the offense as a whole was more efficient. The players were put into better positions to succeed by the coaching staff. I do not see this happening over the past 2 seasons.

I completely agree about plays being scripted. I think we do this because we have lots of new young 1st and 2nd year weapons that do not know the playbook(which as absolutely been dumbed down) yet. We start strong on the 1st few drives and then level off and run the same basic plays with similar formations. i think this reflects on our coaching staff.

Does anybody agree with this statement? For the past decade we have had 3 constants. A "Great" coaching staff. A "Great Defense". And a "Great" QB, in know particular order. Well we have BB trying to wear the hats left by Weiss,RAC,MCD,Mangini. We have the youngest defense in the league, but we still have Tom Brady.  You take out the variables and are left with the one constant. Tom Brady. He is not the problem, He is the solution.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

"when Charlie Weis was coordinator Tom Brady had the highest 3rd down completion percentage and red zone percentage nearly every season;" "Our offense is just painful to watch now, whereas before it was a joy, there were always new and inventive ways Weis would get people involved; screens, counter running plays, crackbacks, flea flickers, play action bootlegs... now it is the same thing the entire second half; Tom Brady takes a 5 step drop and gets sacked, Tom takes a 5 step drop and throws into double coverage...  where is our running game?" Quotes by Wozzy Wozzy, this is refreshing. A lot of fans are blaming Brady for the past loss. Some are going as far to say LAST SEASON WAS ON BRADY'S SHOULDERS AS WELL?? I don't understand where they get this idea from? SOme are even saying that Brady will never be the same QB or that he can't play in the clutch??????????? Now I am not saying Weiss is the only reason Brady did well(Brady has proven otherwise) but the offense as a whole was more efficient. The players were put into better positions to succeed by the coaching staff. I do not see this happening over the past 2 seasons. I completely agree about plays being scripted. I think we do this because we have lots of new young 1st and 2nd year weapons that do not know the playbook(which as absolutely been dumbed down) yet. We start strong on the 1st few drives and then level off and run the same basic plays with similar formations. i think this reflects on our coaching staff. Does anybody agree with this statement? For the past decade we have had 3 constants. A "Great" coaching staff. A "Great Defense". And a "Great" QB, in know particular order. Well we have BB trying to wear the hats left by Weiss,RAC,MCD,Mangini. We have the youngest defense in the league, but we still have Tom Brady.  You take out the variables and are left with the one constant. Tom Brady. He is not the problem, He is the solution.
    Posted by TrueChamp

TrueChamp,

When faced with overwhelming logic the majority of these posters just ignore a thread and hope it will fade away so they won't have to try and answer such pragmatic questions or have to support their own screwy logic...  They'll just start another thread to spout their mindless drivel on... it's laughable.

Sections
Shortcuts