Talib is back! (YES YES YES YES YES!)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Talib is back! (YES YES YES YES YES!)

Damn...I wish I was a 20 something...I'm so old I already forgot what we talking about on page one......sigh................

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

But you just said he wasn't take off of the field, right? 

Now go back to arguing over Erica. 

No. You made it seem like he was benched. For strategic purposes or to get other guys snaps with them knowing he was going to be released has nothing to do with how BB seems him here in this D.

That simple.

It's Rodney Part II.  Too bad you don't get it, you troll.

You praise the Jets and then whine and moan about everything BB does here. You're a joke.

Now, get your shine box.

I never said benched. This is what I said;

Are you thinking AWilson is an All Pro S? The same guy who was taken off the field in passing downs? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Rkarp and King are at it again-It's like watching a chick fight. At first it's fun then it just gets boring.

You said this-No you said this-I said this I'm right and you're wrong-Give it a rest ladies-We are trying to discuss how the patriot way is now DOA in NE.

Thanks from everybody!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Mike Floria reports we "almost" lost Talib, or that he was seriously considering a multi year offer from another team as well as the Pats.

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, there were two other multi-year options that Talib was close to taking.  But Talib decided in the end, like so many others have done under the new labor deal, to sign a short-term deal and then to hit the market again in 2014."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice solid signing - we get a very good corner at a resonable price - and yet if Talib goes out and shoots someone in October, we aren't on the hook for a long term deal.

Spend to the cap...don't mortgage today for tomorrow and win while we still have a quarterback. Simple formula,  should of started doing this three years ago. We still have ten million to spend...spend it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Redskins made strong play for CB Aqib Talib, who returned to NE on one-year deal. Take $18 mil in cap space from any team, options limited.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No. You made it seem like he was benched. For strategic purposes or to get other guys snaps with them knowing he was going to be released has nothing to do with how BB seems him here in this D.

That simple.

You praise the Jets and then whine and moan about everything BB does here. You're a joke.

Now, get your shine box.

You are the last person on this planet that should talk about safeties. The last. In fact I have a Boba Fett bobble head doll that knows more about safeties than you. Back in October I bet you that there was no chance what so ever that Belichick would bring back that turd Chung, you just went on to say that Chung made our defense better...that he was an excellent "in the box safety" who couldn't be expected to cover. You know nothing. You are the same guy that praised Merriweather and Gregory...now you are calling Wilson "Rodney Part II"?!?!

Wow, just wow!! Oh my God! Thank you! Thank you, so much! Now I have even more crap to call you out on to go along with...McCourty is better than Revis, Merriweather is the second best safety in the entire AFC, Chung shut down Antonio Gates all by himself, Cunningham is better than Dunlap, Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Brady, we should trade Brady for a first round pick (said after the loss to the Cardinals), Markell Carter is going to be really something for sure because we paid him extra on the practice squad, these are the best receivers we ever have had (said last summer after we signed Gaffney, Stallworth and Gonzalez), Robert Gallery is a steal...the warnings were out people!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This is my favorite signing of the offseason, especially from a negotiation standpoint. When Talib was in the game our defense seemed to naturally fit with players in their optimal positions. 

I like that the Pats tried to lock him down for years, and when Talib refused that, they still got him in on the one year plan rather than walking away.

This was very solid. Pats offseason grade from me is getting higher with this one. Now let's see if anything comes out of Freeney or Abraham...

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Per Breer:

He had interest from the 3 other clubs as well (washignton is one). Talib took the 1 year deal over a multi year offer from BB.

Also, just because the Abraham and Freeney stops haven't yielded an announcement, doesn't mean something isn't done.

I'd take Michael Bennett over Freeney AND Abraham... his 5m per deal with the Seahawks was a steal

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Talib is great,when he is on the field. Staying healthy has been a challenge for Talib though and usually at the worst times too. I'm thinking signing Arrington was a safety net in case he gets injured. Talib has never played all 16 games in his carreer, 23 of the last possible 48 games last 3 yrs and only  10 of the last 32 games. I still think we use our first pick on a CB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

Nice. So  nice little Bodden type deal in 2009. These usually work out very well. 

One good thing about this from the Pats perspective is the market will be flooded next year at this time, too, so it sort of puts the onus on Talib to play well and then not necessarily look for the #1 deal in the market next year.

They usually work out? You mean the way that Bodden's did?  I think he's still getting paid by the patsies.

He signed a one year deal, had a great year, signed a 5 year deal and got hurt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Love the deal ... better than ideal terms for the Pats. Talib has all the incentive in the world to behave and perform. And if does not, the Pats cut ties with no loss. If the guy grows up and realizes the Pats are his last chance ... watch out .... he has the physical skills to be a pro-bowl corner. I agree with Bedard ... lock him in a hot yoga studio for the off-season and get the hip/hammy issues dealt with.

Now if Dennard can get a break .... I really like our starting CBs for next year. Both can play press man coverage. I expect Dennard to be much better next year.  Still would like to see them draft Banks or Trufont though .... Ras-I is obviously a dud ...

Arrington Overpaid? ... no kidding ...can't figure that one out ..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Unsure of the structure of Arrington's deal, but I have a feeling it's probably backloaded a bit.  He's guaranteed $8.5 million, so it's a good deal for him even if they do cut him, but there's a possibility he won't get all the money.  I think a big reason why BB was willing to pay a bit more for Arrington was because of his value on special teams.  He's really almost Slater quality in kick coverage and BB puts higher value on those skills than some other coaches.  

The Pats got a deal on Talib . . . so when you compare Arrington's contract versus Talib's, I think Talib is "underpaid" more than Arrington is "overpaid." Talib clearly decided that the market was depressed for corners this year and felt testing it again next year made more sense than signing a long deal now.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sw4288. Show sw4288's posts

Really happy about this, and King you're right, the market next year will be flooded. Interesting they offered him 5 years, especially since he turned down multi-year deal with Wash. At first it sounded like a "prove it" contract. I love this guys talent. I hope he can play 16 games. BB and co. playing the market to a T again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Per Breer:

He had interest from the 3 other clubs as well (washignton is one). Talib took the 1 year deal over a multi year offer from BB.

Also, just because the Abraham and Freeney stops haven't yielded an announcement, doesn't mean something isn't done.

I'd take Michael Bennett over Freeney AND Abraham... his 5m per deal with the Seahawks was a steal

total steal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

That simple.

Now, get your shine box.

You are the last person on this planet that should talk about safeties. The last. In fact I have a Boba Fett bobble head doll that knows more about safeties than you. Back in October I bet you that there was no chance what so ever that Belichick would bring back that turd Chung, you just went on to say that Chung made our defense better...that he was an excellent "in the box safety" who couldn't be expected to cover. You know nothing. You are the same guy that praised Merriweather and Gregory...now you are calling Wilson "Rodney Part II"?!?!

Wow, just wow!! Oh my God! Thank you! Thank you, so much! Now I have even more crap to call you out on to go along with...McCourty is better than Revis, Merriweather is the second best safety in the entire AFC, Chung shut down Antonio Gates all by himself, Cunningham is better than Dunlap, Alex Smith is a better quarterback than Brady, we should trade Brady for a first round pick (said after the loss to the Cardinals), Markell Carter is going to be really something for sure because we paid him extra on the practice squad, these are the best receivers we ever have had (said last summer after we signed Gaffney, Stallworth and Gonzalez), Robert Gallery is a steal...the warnings were out people!

Wait....You really have a boba fett bobble head???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

This is my favorite signing of the offseason, especially from a negotiation standpoint. When Talib was in the game our defense seemed to naturally fit with players in their optimal positions. 

I like that the Pats tried to lock him down for years, and when Talib refused that, they still got him in on the one year plan rather than walking away.

This was very solid. Pats offseason grade from me is getting higher with this one. Now let's see if anything comes out of Freeney or Abraham...

This.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Great news. he made a difference on the defense when he came to NE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the 5 year offer was probably very low with a lot of protection from off field issues and injuries. i like talib's talent and his arrival did transform this defense, no doubt. but remember when he came here this ws considered his last chance. he kept his nose clean but still couldnt stay healthy, so i nobody was going to offer him long term money. to me the one downside of this contract is that it almost assures that next season will be his last on the Pats. if he gets in trouble again or cant stay healthy, he's done. if he has a big year and hits free agency, he will get a big deal someplace else. BB will never trust him (and rightfully so) to spend big money on him. the only chance he stays here is some sort of in-season extention. high profile patriots almost never get resigned once they hit free agency. troy brown and bruschi are the only 2 i can really think of. in general the team either extends them far in advance (brady, hernandez, gronk, seymour back in the day to name a few), or tags them and spends a year negotiating (wilfork, mankins), or lets them walk.

so, i still see a need at CB and the 2 positions that seem to be a black hole for patriots draft picks are DB and WR. i'd hate to see our only picks this year wasted again...

In response to sw4288's comment:

Really happy about this, and King you're right, the market next year will be flooded. Interesting they offered him 5 years, especially since he turned down multi-year deal with Wash. At first it sounded like a "prove it" contract. I love this guys talent. I hope he can play 16 games. BB and co. playing the market to a T again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I guess at this point of FA Talib is better having then what was left.  Talib has not played a complete season since being in the NFL.  He finished the last 3 seasons with the same injury.  Would have liked signing a different player at this position even if it cost some bigger bucks.

I guess it's too late now!  Gotta hope for the best.

Sections
Shortcuts