Talib is back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Talib is back

Mike Reiss reports that Talib is back at practice. He may not play this Sunday but at least he is not lost for the season!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4751385/cb-aqib-talib-returns-to-practice

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Talib is back

That's great news! I could see them possibly giving him the week off to heal, really hoping he is good to go next week, would love to see him shut down Mike Wallace! And then Wallace's crybaby fit afterward!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He is the key to the whole defense.  Everyone else is replaceable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I don't know about everyone else. 

Dennard and Jones are not replaceable.

Nor is DMC at safety. 

It's interesting though, that this season could end up illustrating how Wilfork, as tremendous as he is, is less essential in modern football than many would have thought. 

Shutdown corners and pass rush really are the thing. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Nor is DMC at safety. 

It's interesting though, that this season could end up illustrating how Wilfork, as tremendous as he is, is less essential in modern football than many would have thought. 

I don't think Wilfork is less essential at all. I just think BB i s a brilliant coach and he'll adjust to what he has and how best to use it.

The biggest issue with VInce's loss is they can't play 3-4 over a long stretch of a game because it's such an unknown with Vellano at NT.  

Who knows, maybe BB is coaching up Jones and Vellano with Patrick Graham off to the side during practices.

Make no mistake, though. Vince has been on that very short list of DTs for almost a decade now.

Well, Bill is certainly a huge reason. I'm not knocking VW at all. He is the best NT in football. I'm just pointing out how the loss of an elite run stuffing NT is less important in modern football than the loss of your top corner or top defensive end. 

It's more a reflection about the changes in the game. VW is a borderline HOFer, he has been so good. Not knocking him at all. 

And yeah, NE doesn't play much 3-4, but they are basically out of running Two-Gap assignments for the remainder of the season in their base 43 front. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Nor is DMC at safety. 

As much as it saddens me, I must agree that this is possible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Glad to hear this.  Might not need him so much this Sunday so don't rush him back too quickly.  Putting Graham on Talib Island was simply amazing!  

Want to see him 100% healthy for the Broncos!!

btw, is this the same hip and injury he had last season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Nor is DMC at safety. 

I agree, Wilfork is great, but a DT without an interior rush presence isn't useless. In a 3-4, he would be irreplaceable. I agree with Jones, McCourty and Dennard being key. I would also add Kelly to that list, we'll need him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I mean useful, not useless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This may be true in the regular season, but when the playoffs start teams won't hold back in the running game just to keep their runners healthy, they'll pound us again and again with the run if it is a legit weakness, and without Wilfork it will be a real weakness unless Chris Jones or Fortson emerge as a nose tackle, Kelly is healthy and possibly Armstead or Francis contribute.

Playoffs = old school rules

Vince will be missed when the games and weather get ugly, we already miss him VS screens which has been a big weakness since he left, and will get worse with the loss of Mayo or some improvement by the young DT's.

Am glad that Talib is back but I would agree that Dennard has been as solid as Talib has been and maybe we're overrating him a bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Probably.   And yes, rest him until the Denver game if need be.  He will isolate THomas, Arrington in the slot on Welker, Dennard on Decker, and that will leave BB to double Julius Thomas, who, IMO is the real key to their passing success right now.

That will allow BB to bait Gomer by switching a successful man scheme in and out with zone traps which he likes to do against him.

Can not wait until this game. Talib shutting down Thomas, Dennard will have a tough time with Decker but will be fun to watch and Arrington on Welker, that is exciting.  No doubt as long as Arrington plays the slot he is very good so this is going to be the matchup I watch the most.  Geez, I almost wish it was week 12 already.  Very jealous of the Pats fans who will be attending this game live!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Probably.   And yes, rest him until the Denver game if need be.  He will isolate THomas, Arrington in the slot on Welker, Dennard on Decker, and that will leave BB to double Julius Thomas, who, IMO is the real key to their passing success right now.

That will allow BB to bait Gomer by switching a successful man scheme in and out with zone traps which he likes to do against him.

Can not wait until this game. Talib shutting down Thomas, Dennard will have a tough time with Decker but will be fun to watch and Arrington on Welker, that is exciting.  No doubt as long as Arrington plays the slot he is very good so this is going to be the matchup I watch the most.  Geez, I almost wish it was week 12 already.  Very jealous of the Pats fans who will be attending this game live!

You forgot that Dennard earned a starting spot in his rookie year because he took Decker's lunch money ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Decker went 0-4 against Dennard, even though Peyton targeted him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

You forgot that Dennard earned a starting spot in his rookie year because he took Decker's lunch money ?

Apparently I did, thanks for the info. 

Decker was 4 for 21 yards in last seasons game with Manning throwing to him and 1 for 22 yards in 2011 with Tebow throwing to him.   Clearly the Pats have shut him down the past 2 years.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hey a good football thread!

I disagree with the notion that we will find out if VW and his impact can be overcome due to the nature of todays NFL. I think BB's defensive scheme always has been and always will be about taking away the opponents ability to effectively run the football. He wants to force your offense into being one dimensional. This is why we have always seen a Wilfork, a Ted Washington, a Keith Traylor, a Seymour, or a Warren.

I understand the game is played more in space and the change in passing rules have allowed teams to put up big "numbers", but if our defense cannot frustruate an offense's run game we are at a disadvantage.

We do not play a penetrating style of football on defense. We do not "get after the QB", we go for coverage sacks, gap integrity, guessing right that the offense will throw because they cannot run. I am afraid that this defense will suffer due to the loss of VW and Mayo, and it will unfortunately be sooner then later.

It would be nothing short of amazing if our defense could keep up this level of play after these injuries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Losing VW is the tougher loss and we still dont know about the pup player A

Mayo - replaced by Hightower/Spikes not as much??

It seems BB is using more exotic D's this year - Talib/Dennard/ Mccourty/Arrington allow for a lot of different schemes - and we are more in nickel. even LBS in tyhe nickel.

On the espn and nflnet show and Dungy . they say the way to beat PM is to get pressure from 4 , dont blitz - or send 5. NewO won the SB by having multiple D schemes , i think by qtr. If PM is confused he makes mistakes - His greatest weakness is that he has to be in control and follow a strict patteren.- if he isnt sure - then he throws ints

the Playoff teams now

Pats/Cin/Denver-KC/ Indie  with SD? at #6

The AFC Div series game will be tuff as will the AFC champ game 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I said somwhere that if Talib is 100 percent come the playoffs, the Pats D can weather the losses of Wilfork and Mayo.  

It really would only have come down to the "Imagine" question, as in: "Imagine if the whole D was healthy come playoff time; you think anyone would question that THAT D would be the best of the NFL teams in the dance?"  

I wouldn't question it.  Nope.  After seeing how they were coming together?  This season was their coming out party....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

This D needs Talib, just look back to last years playoffs.  With him we beat Baltimore, without him we do not.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This may be true in the regular season, but when the playoffs start teams won't hold back in the running game just to keep their runners healthy, they'll pound us again and again with the run if it is a legit weakness, and without Wilfork it will be a real weakness unless Chris Jones or Fortson emerge as a nose tackle, Kelly is healthy and possibly Armstead or Francis contribute.

Playoffs = old school rules

Vince will be missed when the games and weather get ugly, we already miss him VS screens which has been a big weakness since he left, and will get worse with the loss of Mayo or some improvement by the young DT's.

Am glad that Talib is back but I would agree that Dennard has been as solid as Talib has been and maybe we're overrating him a bit.

You are right on all points. But also when playing a team like Denver they can do some damage running and missing BOTH Vinny and Mayo might just be too much to overcome defending the run inside. 

Mayo was also being a key player in cover schemes. What a shame....

Sections
Shortcuts