Talib "NE is football heaven"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Talib "NE is football heaven"

“I had heard about the Patriots and the way they do things, all that stuff. You know what? It’s true. This is heaven. This is football heaven.”

"As soon as you walk in the building you notice it. It’s all about team here. Everybody is a professional. I have never experienced anything like this. I see the owner, Mr. (Robert) Kraft every day. That’s amazing, man. Coach Belichick treats everybody like a man, with respect. He’s a cool guy.”

”I am a Patriot. It feels like I was meant to be here ... The coaches here are so good, too. It’s all about football. It’s one day at a time. It’s the perfect place to play football. I don’t know what else to say.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/talib-patriots-football-heaven-2013-1#ixzz2Hamlj32C

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Talib

Don't show this to some folks here.  They think BB has no leverage.

Great read, though.  Thanks shenanigan. 

AFTER the Pats win the SB, I think they tie Talib up for 2 years 11 million.  If he continues to behave and play well, give him an extension for another 3 years.  Him and Dennard are slowing setting up a nice dynamic duo with McCourty emerging as a very good Safety.  I'm loving the way this young D is shaping up for years to come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It's strange, all we get are endless opinion pieces with zero research from the Boston media and Businessinsider goes out and schedules an interview.  They apparently employ "Journalists."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB's after I win the SB checklist should be...

1.) Lock up Talib and Vollmer. 

2.) Sign Dashon Goldson.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB's after I win the SB checklist should be...

1.) Lock up Talib and Vollmer. 

2.) Sign Dashon Goldson.

[/QUOTE]

I like both of those

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with IrishMob. We have good LB corps (Spikes, Hightower, Mayo, Nink), Fork as anchor on the D Line, aspiring star in Chandler Jones, and production from Love ,Dreaderick and Scott. Talib looks like another ingenius BB move (see Waters, Moss trade) McCourty looking good at FS and Dennard looking like late round steal.

What got lost and gets lost in all this arguing is that this is a very young defense that will continue to get better. This defense is noticably better than last year's.

Might offer Talib 3 years with club option 12-15m. W'll see if he takes the hometown discount. I want see what he does in playoffs (Andre Johnson, Demarius Thomas/Manning).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What this says is when players leave it is not for the environment of the team, but, for money.  Seems being in a winning atmosphere is less important, even when you do get paid big bucks, than "getting paid".  As many have said here, few have left Foxboro and kept themselves in a winning environment, but, their happy with their paycheck!  Money buys a lot of happiness!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Someone trying to get paid! lol

Didnt Ocho call this place heaven too?  Lets hope he is health and ready to make an impact. I wouldnt mind seeing him back at the right price

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didnt Ocho call this place heaven too?  Lets hope he is health and ready to make an impact. I wouldnt mind seeing him back at the right price

[/QUOTE]

How would this help him get paid?  Generally speaking, waxing on about how much you love something just before you negotiate a price for it is a bad idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

What else do people expect him to say? He's not going to say the place sucks when he's hitting the open market, he needs to make him out as a good employee. It's like how you shouldn't say anything negative about your prior employer during a job interview. Didn't Branch love NE? Still didn't mean he was willing to take a discount. Same thing with Welker and even Randy Moss. Time and time again, there are only a small percentage of good players who take the hometown discount. And it's typically when theyve spent a large time of their career at the place, not half a season.

No one knows what type of contract he wants. But from recent signings for number 1 cornerbacks, Eric Wright, Cromartie, Jonathon Joseph, Brandon Carr, and Brandon Flowers, 2 years for 11 million is really really low. For a guy like Talib, guaranteed money is probably a bit more important than players without character issues. Unless you meant 11 million guaranteed, such a short contract with low guarantees is a huge risk.

Lower market deal would definitely help the likelihood of a Vollmer and/or even a Welker deal.

Goldson though? I think it's unlikely. The big time safeties of the past era have been polamalu and reed, who are both fading. Goldson is pretty much a top 3 safety in a safety week league. He'll be one of the most prized FA's on the market. BB rarely goes for the big names, other than Colvin and Thomas. Too bad we missed out on him last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How would this help him get paid?  Generally speaking, waxing on about how much you love something just before you negotiate a price for it is a bad idea.

[/QUOTE]
    yea if anything you would want to say you were looking at other options to drive up your price. saying you love the team you play with, gives that team leverage. i hope the pats give talib what he wants regardless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What else do people expect him to say? He's not going to say the place sucks when he's hitting the open market, he needs to make him out as a good employee. It's like how you shouldn't say anything negative about your prior employer during a job interview. Didn't Branch love NE? Still didn't mean he was willing to take a discount. Same thing with Welker and even Randy Moss. Time and time again, there are only a small percentage of good players who take the hometown discount. And it's typically when theyve spent a large time of their career at the place, not half a season.

No one knows what type of contract he wants. But from recent signings for number 1 cornerbacks, Eric Wright, Cromartie, Jonathon Joseph, Brandon Carr, and Brandon Flowers, 2 years for 11 million is really really low. For a guy like Talib, guaranteed money is probably a bit more important than players without character issues. Unless you meant 11 million guaranteed, such a short contract with low guarantees is a huge risk.

Lower market deal would definitely help the likelihood of a Vollmer and/or even a Welker deal.

Goldson though? I think it's unlikely. The big time safeties of the past era have been polamalu and reed, who are both fading. Goldson is pretty much a top 3 safety in a safety week league. He'll be one of the most prized FA's on the market. BB rarely goes for the big names, other than Colvin and Thomas. Too bad we missed out on him last season.

[/QUOTE]

He could say "I like it, it's good."  There's certainly no reason he has to go on and on and get into specifics."

Its not a contract negotiation, a good player likes being on your team and how the organization is run.  It's a good thing to be a fan of a team that is respected and attracts good players- be happy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Shen, I meant he was trying to get paid from the Pats for saying all the right things. I dont mean cashing in to any team. You think the Pats lose leverage by him saying he loves it?? I mean the dude was just given up on and has a very checkered past...he doesnt exactly have leverage right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He could say "I like it, it's good."  There's certainly no reason he has to go on and on and get into specifics."

Its not a contract negotiation, a good player likes being on your team and how the organization is run.  It's a good thing to be a fan of a team that is respected and attracts good players- be happy.

[/QUOTE]

I am happy that he's had nothing but a positive attitude since being here. I'm just voicing my opinion that this doesn't necessarily mean he'll take a home town discount.

Here is why I think this helps him with his leverage, and you can disagree with me if you want.

By saying how much he loves NE, it makes it seem like this is his first choice. By saying this, it drives the price up for other teams who might want to lure him away from NE.

If I'm a player and I want to stay on NE, I might say that I want to hit the open market. Hopefully, this makes NE offer a bit more to prevent that from happening. If I want to hit the open market, I would say that NE may be my first choice and that you 30 (minus the bucs) other teams might have to offer a little bit more to make me change my mind. Just look at what O'Brien did at Penn State!

Disagree with me if you want. I could be right or wrong. I'm just basing this off of history, and history tends to show that the majority of players chase the money

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am happy that he's had nothing but a positive attitude since being here. I'm just voicing my opinion that this doesn't necessarily mean he'll take a home town discount.

Here is why I think this helps him with his leverage, and you can disagree with me if you want.

By saying how much he loves NE, it makes it seem like this is his first choice. By saying this, it drives the price up for other teams who might want to lure him away from NE.

If I'm a player and I want to stay on NE, I might say that I want to hit the open market. Hopefully, this makes NE offer a bit more to prevent that from happening. If I want to hit the open market, I would say that NE may be my first choice and that you 30 (minus the bucs) other teams might have to offer a little bit more to make me change my mind. Just look at what O'Brien did at Penn State!

Disagree with me if you want. I could be right or wrong. I'm just basing this off of history, and history tends to show that the majority of players chase the money

[/QUOTE]

Yep!

+1

and 2 months ago, go look what folks were saying about him...now they expect him to retire here and be his own agent like Bruschi....lol   Only on BDC

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm happy the guy seems to be happy here and is playing well for the team.  If we can keep him beyond this season, so much the better.  Good to hear this kind of thing coming from someone who has been with other organizations.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Alright guys, it really wasn't a contract thread.  I wasn't saying he will give the Patriots a discount, or even sign here.  I'm sure like all players his agent will negotiate the contract and unless two competing contracts are very close he'll take the highest one.

I'm just saying he likes playing here.  When the Patriots are out there competing for guys it's good to know they have that good reputation if it ever comes down to a coin toss for a player.

I don't think he's using some negotiation tactic, just saying what he thinks.  

Your entitled to your opinion, I agree his contract will not be decided by anything he says.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

As I said in my mideseason thread on his impact:

His skills (even coming out of college) are dead on for what BB looks for. 

And as paradoxical as it sounds, given his history, he could be the guy who brings a trophy back to Foxboro. 

Here is hoping he is healthy and ready to go. They need to contain Andre Johnson. Talib can do a lot for that cause. 

Finally, the fact that he apparently loves it here is great. Let's see how he fairs in the playoffs and then discussion about wrapping him up can commence. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think it a positive that Talib is saying something intelligent and positive regarding the Pats. I dont think it makes him a single additional dollar however. Whether they lose Sunday, or win the SB, the Pats have a number in mind that they will pay Talib. He takes it or he doesnt.

If he has smart representation, he takes it, plays his tail off in a system that would make him look good, and then get paid in 2-3 years while he is still under 30 years old, and the salary cap increases.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Just hope he dont end up like Randy Moss who said similar things......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

hes on a team in the playoffs, that has a heck of a chance.  What else can you say?  The point of sport is to win and be a champion.  Winning fixes a lot of things.  If he goes to Jax he would probably not be happy there 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

“I had heard about the Patriots and the way they do things, all that stuff. You know what? It’s true. This is heaven. This is football heaven.”

"As soon as you walk in the building you notice it. It’s all about team here. Everybody is a professional. I have never experienced anything like this. I see the owner, Mr. (Robert) Kraft every day. That’s amazing, man. Coach Belichick treats everybody like a man, with respect. He’s a cool guy.”

”I am a Patriot. It feels like I was meant to be here ... The coaches here are so good, too. It’s all about football. It’s one day at a time. It’s the perfect place to play football. I don’t know what else to say.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/talib-patriots-football-heaven-2013-1#ixzz2Hamlj32C

[/QUOTE]

good stuff. i posted this last week on extendign talib thread i started.

i like to sign him for 4 years with behavior clause

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hes on a team in the playoffs, that has a heck of a chance.  What else can you say?  The point of sport is to win and be a champion.  Winning fixes a lot of things.  If he goes to Jax he would probably not be happy there 

[/QUOTE]Nice post. Every comment by a player doesn't have to be turned into a argument about his contract. The guy's happy, I'm happy he's happy, his comments are positive and probably help the team chemistry. the playoffs are imminent, life in Patriot Nation is very good at the moment and part of that is as a result of the acquisition od Talib.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

It's strange, all we get are endless opinion pieces with zero research from the Boston media and Businessinsider goes out and schedules an interview.  They apparently employ "Journalists."

[/QUOTE]

That's a good point...think about that for a second..I can't even remember the last time I read anything of consequence from boston.com.