TALIB or WELKER?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Re: TALIB or WELKER?

TALIB!!!!!!! NO QUESTION

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Take the proven comoditity...every time.

No Wes Welker... 2-4 more losses this season and Talib simply becomes a taking point.

It's all risk with Talib. You just simply don't know what you are getting.

We have had too many DBs come through here and none of them worked out. Something else is wrong, bad wrong.

If we have CAP money, I want another true stud on the line next to Vince.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So long Wes. Talib, maybe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Welker can't catch and Talib can't stay healthy.......................................neither.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Depends on the money each of them wants. The Pats have Edleman at least but not really anyone proven to handle the CB spot well.

The Pats should try and keep Welker but not over pay him and I think someone else will so I will not be surprised if he is not back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Has to be Talib. The defense looked completely different when he went down yesterday, however, even with Welker health on the field the O couldn't put it together. If healthy Talib might make a bigger impact on the field then Welker

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Wow, tough bunch against Welker...  by mid season, the cry was big here to "pay him" now all you folks want to do is dump him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Talib has off field issues and an injury history, unless they get some injury protection, I'm not keen on giving him a big contract.

2010: Injured hip in week 13, placed on IR

2011: Injured hammy in week 14, placed on IR

2012: Injured hip

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cryochiller. Show cryochiller's posts

It's funny how quickly everyone forgets how good the patriots looks wilth Welker on the bench in the beginning of the season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wouldn't sign either of these guys to big money contracts. No way. Now if they were team friendly deals, sure, but you know it won't be that way. Welker may need to go - can't keep paying him at 10 million per...nope. We have one of the best QB's ever and really all he seems to do nowadays is key in on Welker - I've got to think if Welker is gone he will get the ball to someone else. Never mind the drops this guy has had over the last three playoff games....how many are there? 8? Two of them cost us big time.

Talib, beside having serious off field issues, can't stay healthy. We going to pay him when he's going to get himself in trouble and then come up lame late in the year? It's not just a one time injury thing either, he's been doing this stuff for four years now. You can't hand him a 40 million plus contract - give it to someone else that can do similar things, but with less questions. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

seems to me both guys are in the driver's seat. if i'm the jets, i'm giving welk 3 year 33m, no hesitation... period! seem with the dolphs from where he came. you improve your qb and offense instantly plus you hurt your rival within your division. even buffalo may get in that action or andy reid. can think of a lot of suitors. believe me, wes wants to get paid and show off his personality. tb aint playing at an elite level more than 2 years and lets face it if gronk can stay healthy, wes is the third wheel after herny at BEST. wes aint dumb. if being with an elite qb is the key while being paid, wes can easily join a team like the falcons and take over the nonTE gonzalez role (3 receiver set). redskins will have no beef geting in that action, ditto with cowboys and a stack of others. wes aint going anywhere he will be the 3rd receiver and he's not taking a discount after coming this far.

now to talib. this article says it all:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/21/hard-see-scenario-where-aqib-talib-stic?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

the man just got paid 5m per year on his rook deal, already telling you he was viewed by others. no way, under this new CBA, he will take less than 8m.. he may not be the best but he's good enough and is the kind of CB elite teams need.. physical and fearless. atlanta will want that, ditto with putrid skins and boys. ditto with jets if they strike out with wes. who better than rexy.. imagine him back there with revis and the other guy in the slot? omg.. they could win with any jambroni qb who doesnt turn the ball over in that case.

in any case, you cant keep both. plus we have to resign woody, vollmer (a must at this stage), and edelman plus 2 or 3 mid-range free agants and extend tb for down the road and others. to me, talib is #1... love wes, but you can find a lot of guys to simulate him in our offense. plus we could slide in a lloyd (proved he is a magnet to hard hits like wes with BETTER hands at this stage) or a hern in the slot. and then sign a few mid-range reciever types or slide in a demps type. edelman could be in the mix as well. interestingly, i think woody is a goner as well. vereen and demps are better at his role and cheaper. woody will get some serious offers. again, both the jets and dolphs will be in the mix! wes' one plus is that he's always there, talib has shown a lot of inner gronk and hern tendencies in attracting injuries.

there will be turnover and we will get emotionally detached from some key guys. lets just get used to it and prepped!

I'd be hesitant to sign both for long term.  Talib is great athletically but is he injury prone and will his background reputation catch up with him?  Welker is an odd player (capable of the big play, but buttery in fingers when it's on the line) He's also getting older and slower - have you noticed?  We need a WR! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

seems to me both guys are in the driver's seat. if i'm the jets, i'm giving welk 3 year 33m, no hesitation... period! seem with the dolphs from where he came. you improve your qb and offense instantly plus you hurt your rival within your division. even buffalo may get in that action or andy reid. can think of a lot of suitors. believe me, wes wants to get paid and show off his personality. tb aint playing at an elite level more than 2 years and lets face it if gronk can stay healthy, wes is the third wheel after herny at BEST. wes aint dumb. if being with an elite qb is the key while being paid, wes can easily join a team like the falcons and take over the nonTE gonzalez role (3 receiver set). redskins will have no beef geting in that action, ditto with cowboys and a stack of others. wes aint going anywhere he will be the 3rd receiver and he's not taking a discount after coming this far.

now to talib. this article says it all:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/christopher-price/2013/01/21/hard-see-scenario-where-aqib-talib-stic?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

the man just got paid 5m per year on his rook deal, already telling you he was viewed by others. no way, under this new CBA, he will take less than 8m.. he may not be the best but he's good enough and is the kind of CB elite teams need.. physical and fearless. atlanta will want that, ditto with putrid skins and boys. ditto with jets if they strike out with wes. who better than rexy.. imagine him back there with revis and the other guy in the slot? omg.. they could win with any jambroni qb who doesnt turn the ball over in that case.

in any case, you cant keep both. plus we have to resign woody, vollmer (a must at this stage), and edelman plus 2 or 3 mid-range free agants and extend tb for down the road and others. to me, talib is #1... love wes, but you can find a lot of guys to simulate him in our offense. plus we could slide in a lloyd (proved he is a magnet to hard hits like wes with BETTER hands at this stage) or a hern in the slot. and then sign a few mid-range reciever types or slide in a demps type. edelman could be in the mix as well. interestingly, i think woody is a goner as well. vereen and demps are better at his role and cheaper. woody will get some serious offers. again, both the jets and dolphs will be in the mix! wes' one plus is that he's always there, talib has shown a lot of inner gronk and hern tendencies in attracting injuries.

there will be turnover and we will get emotionally detached from some key guys. lets just get used to it and prepped!

I'd be hesitant to sign both for long term.  Talib is great athletically but is he injury prone and will his background reputation catch up with him?  Welker is an odd player (capable of the big play, but buttery in fingers when it's on the line) He's also getting older and slower - have you noticed?  We need a WR! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Some say...guys that have repeat hamstring injuries are players that don't get into proper football shape before the season starts.

Talib...be careful.

Welker...I make no apologies..non what so ever PAY THE MAN

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Without Talib the defense looks lost everytime...see week 16. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Despite all Wes has done, I am starting to think that the offense that gets Welker 120 catches and 1300 yards in the regular season simple does not win against tough defenses in the playoffs (Giants, Ravens, Jets, Giants, Ravens). I say it is time to let Welker walk and rethink the offensive style (and the obsession with 5'9" 190 lbs receivers).

I am less sure about Talib. He played well when he was here. He has a history of getting little injuries (in addition to the off field stuff). If he is going to be the most important player, I am have little faith he will keep his head on straight and make it through a season physically. I would prefer to let them both walk and bring in a tone-setting, leader to play the safety (passing on Goldson for Gregory was one of the worst personel moves that BB has made).

So what if they had 2 or 3 more regular season loss without Welker. Would you rather have been the 12-4 #2 seed watching the Super Bowl from home or the 10-6 #4 seed playing in it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

of the two, keep Talib.  But he has been injury prone; even in his short stint with the Patriots.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's time to get rid of the system type players and start paying and keeping the ones with true talent.  It's time to cut the Edelmans, Slaters, Chungs and as much as I hate to say it, the Woodheads of this team.  Having them around to do something here and there isn't what is needed.  The Pats need full time, talented players. Get rid of these scheme type players that are only keys to 2 or 3 games.  If they can't be used effective for all the games get rid of them!

There!! That should free up enough money to go out and get some full time, talented players.

Talib hasn't played a full season yet.  Do I like him and the size he brings to the team?  Yes, but can he be depended on?  Doesn't look like it. As for Welker, you don't get rid of the most productive player on your team.  That's just crazy talk!   

I know it's not the main thrust of your point, but you do no cut a team captain and all-pro special teamer who makes like a million dollars.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

One thing is for sure Welker won't end up with the Jets.  They've placed themselves in salary cap hell.  The new GM has a lot of work to do.  They should flush the team and start over but with the win today attitude the NFL currently has I just don't know what the new GM will do.

Good game by the Ravens.  Excellent blocking up front.  Flacco had all day.  When Talib went out the defense went with him.  So much riding on two players.  The defense need Talib and Dennard healthy for the playoffs to give this defense a chance.  Talib was the one to get hurt and you saw what happened.

The high powered offense sputtered and spat.  Brady didn't have one of his better games and I was a tad disappointed in the game plan.  No changes really for the playoffs.  Gronk was badly missed once again.  But only 13pts?

For the question asked it would have to be Talib that stays.  Although I would miss Welker the offense did little with him and the defense fell apart without Talib.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's time to get rid of the system type players and start paying and keeping the ones with true talent.  It's time to cut the Edelmans, Slaters, Chungs and as much as I hate to say it, the Woodheads of this team.  Having them around to do something here and there isn't what is needed.  The Pats need full time, talented players. Get rid of these scheme type players that are only keys to 2 or 3 games.  If they can't be used effective for all the games get rid of them!

There!! That should free up enough money to go out and get some full time, talented players.

Talib hasn't played a full season yet.  Do I like him and the size he brings to the team?  Yes, but can he be depended on?  Doesn't look like it. As for Welker, you don't get rid of the most productive player on your team.  That's just crazy talk!   

So you'd dump the best DB we have and keep Welker, a reciever that doesn't stretch the field and doesn't have the ability to make a play when it matters most? Are you Welker's brother or something? 

How many SBs have we won with Wes Welker? 0-2

How many did we win with a GOOD defense? 3-0

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Welker can't catch and Talib can't stay healthy.......................................neither.

probably true. BB took a gamble on Talib, and it worked for a while till last night. he doesn't hurt his hamstring it's a different ball game on the defenseive side at least.

but if the guy gets hurt too easy and is not durable-let him go, and draft 2 Talib clones this year in the draft

I love WW, but he has dropped two important passes in the past 2 years he should have caught.  maybe it's time to let him test the waters and see if anyone will pay at least 9 mil

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts