TALIB or WELKER?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: TALIB or WELKER?

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

So you'd dump the best DB we have and keep Welker, a reciever that doesn't stretch the field and doesn't have the ability to make a play when it matters most? Are you Welker's brother or something? 

How many SBs have we won with Wes Welker? 0-2

How many did we win with a GOOD defense? 3-0

You need someone who can stretch the field and someone who can work the short to middle stuff.  Welker does the short field better then anyone.  Dump Lloyd and pick up someone up who can work the middle to deep field.  Wellker opens up the deep ball and and a deep threat will open up the short to mid field.  Need both!  TE's Gronk and Hernandez are icing on the cake. Need all 3 aspects to be a dynamic passing attack.

The best DB in the world can't help you if he can't stay health for a season.  Talib hasn't yet.  When they needed him most he was on the sidelines. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:

Talib was what made the defense.  We still weren't great, but we were good enough with him.  A shutdown corner is necessary.  If they decide to let him go because of possible off the field / injury issues, another player like him will need to be signed.

I'd consider letting Welker walk, and not signing another big money receiver.  To continue majorly addressing the defense.  Stack the D with talent.

At this stage of his career Brady needs good receivers.  Good receivers cost money.  They arent going to win any championships with medicore receivers.  Maybe back in the day it was okay, not with an aging QB and not into todays game.  Makes no sense to take away Bradys go to guy at this stage of his career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

It's time to get rid of the system type players and start paying and keeping the ones with true talent.  It's time to cut the Edelmans, Slaters, Chungs and as much as I hate to say it, the Woodheads of this team.  Having them around to do something here and there isn't what is needed.  The Pats need full time, talented players. Get rid of these scheme type players that are only keys to 2 or 3 games.  If they can't be used effective for all the games get rid of them!

There!! That should free up enough money to go out and get some full time, talented players.

Talib hasn't played a full season yet.  Do I like him and the size he brings to the team?  Yes, but can he be depended on?  Doesn't look like it. As for Welker, you don't get rid of the most productive player on your team.  That's just crazy talk!   

I know it's not the main thrust of your point, but you do no cut a team captain and all-pro special teamer who makes like a million dollars.

Get rid of the dead weight.  At one time they tried to turn him into a receiver, he isn't one. He isn't a returner either so what else does he offer?  Nothing!  Don't need a special team only player who doesn't even return punts or kickoffs making a million bucks.  Demps will possibly be the returner next season, make him captain.  

They kept Izzo for a while and he was pretty much just a special teamer. Every team has guys who pretty much just play special teams

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Let butterfingers Welker go to the Jets....then we can laugh and not sigh when he drops key passes.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Talib .... not going to get a starting shutdown corner at pick 29 .... and Ras-I ain't gonna do it ...

No disrespect to Wes .. toughest midget in the world ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

So you'd dump the best DB we have and keep Welker, a reciever that doesn't stretch the field and doesn't have the ability to make a play when it matters most? Are you Welker's brother or something? 

How many SBs have we won with Wes Welker? 0-2

How many did we win with a GOOD defense? 3-0

You need someone who can stretch the field and someone who can work the short to middle stuff.  Welker does the short field better then anyone.  Dump Lloyd and pick up someone up who can work the middle to deep field.  Wellker opens up the deep ball and and a deep threat will open up the short to mid field.  Need both!  TE's Gronk and Hernandez are icing on the cake. Need all 3 aspects to be a dynamic passing attack.

The best DB in the world can't help you if he can't stay health for a season.  Talib hasn't yet.  When they needed him most he was on the sidelines. 

so y cant lloyd play in the slot.. thats what he did in denver with josh and in st. louis most of the time. hern is essentially a slot receiver himself. welk is a luxury really. with ballard coming back , i would sign a bowe for the outside, put lloyd in slot with the 2 "TEs" (hern is nominal te) to start the games than rotate lloyd out of there (with bullard) and play hern in the slot for most of the game. for FB, i want tebow type or hooman. he'll be the real odd guy out.

+1

precisely. We have a ton of capable slot type guys. Lloyd, Hern, Edelman, Vereen. All capable. With ballard Playing, it gives us flexibility to move Hern around more. However, if we let Wes walk, I still think we need a big, fast, athletic down the field WR. Otherwise, back where we started and teams can load the box. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Talib. But I'll bet you a dollar the Pats screw around and don't re-sign him. How much YOU wanna bet?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

precisely. We have a ton of capable slot type guys. Lloyd, Hern, Edelman, Vereen. All capable. With ballard Playing, it gives us flexibility to move Hern around more. However, if we let Wes walk, I still think we need a big, fast, athletic down the field WR. Otherwise, back where we started and teams can load the box. 

People right now are complaining about a couple of Welker drops, can you imagine Lloyd?  The dude drops a lot more then Welker.  Same with Hernandez.  Edelman can't s n the field and still isn't nearly as good as Welker is.  Vereen???  Can't tell what he can do, they don't give him a shot.  I thought he looked good against the Texans but he didn't see a role increase yesterday.

As for Lloyd, check this out....

Post Season only:
    Brandon Lloyd.....12 postseason catches this year.....YAC =.......get ready, sit down for this.....6 yards combined or an average YAC of 0.5 yds/catch
    Post Season YAC ranking....tied for 55th

12 catches on 23 targets....102 yds=8.5 yd ave.....1 TD.....longest catch 16 yds......6 first downs.

For the regular season, Lloyd ranked #115 in YAC with 180 yds but with an incredibly high 50 1st downs. In fact Lloyd ranks 21st in the league with 50 1st downs

Conclusion: It is clear Lloyd is a possession receiver only and should be limited to 3rd downs. He is a very solid #3 WR but how effective can a team be with a starting WR incapable of advancing the ball after the catch.

I like Lloyd but the above stats say it all.  He can't make a slot receiver, not in this system. 

I just can't understand the hate for Welker.  Clearly he helps this team win games, you want to keep people who don't help the team win games and get rid of the ones that do.  Crazy!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

WELKER

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Tfb12 You are right on.  The pats were 1st in the league in picking up 3rd downs.  Gee I wonder why?  ....they picked up a league high of 48 %. and Atlanta was 2nd at 45% clip.  I can't even imagine this percentage without WELKER .... Brady to WELKER is chemistry between each other that can't be matched....so pats better figure out a way to keep WELKER here....Besides, our TEs cant stay healthy but the only guy that takes a punishment every game but continues to jeep playing is WELKER.  Of course the drops will happen especially when your targeted anywhere from 10-20 times a game!   

Sections
Shortcuts