Talib Wants Top Of The Market Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

Talib Wants Top Of The Market Deal

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/source_aqib_talib_wants_top_of_the_market_deal

"Talib wants to be paid as a top-of-the-market corner in free agency, according to a source. Since the Dolphins signed Brent Grimes to a four-year, $32 million contract, including $16 million guaranteed, that baseline for this class of prized free agents has been established."

----------

buh-bye...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Talib Wants Top Of The Market Deal

Well, he should be resigned even at market value. 

BB needs to pony up on this and say "the heck with depth." Just go get the player and take a breather from the the tag sale circuit and value game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

It will NEVER happen with the Patriots...  With all his injuries he is considered a part-time player and Kraft will not dish out that kind of $$$ since it would be considered a bad business decision...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd tell him good luck.  We get a couple healthy DTs and CB won't be such an issue.  They won't have to cover for 10 sec every play.   If talib was good for 14+ games a season maybe. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Top veteran free agents get top money.  If you don't want to pay top money, then you don't get the top veteran free agents.  You just have to hope that third round draft picks, undrafted rookies, and budget free agents are enough to win the Super Bowl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Dennard and Ryan it is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe we can bring back Marquice Cole or Sterling Moore.  Or try Slater at corner. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe we can bring back Marquice Cole or Sterling Moore.  Or try Slater at corner. 

[/QUOTE]

As opposed to talib on the bench in the biggest games?  Maybe he will make it to half time before he rides the pine.  If I still feel if we don't fix the line it won't matter who we have back there. If we are going to spend that much money spent it on the interior line. Vince may not be back effective and they won't have to throw they'll run it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think it is time to move on from Talib.  Sign a good Safety.  Rework the OL and DL and the secondary will get better.  With the rules favoring the receivers, it is more important to get to the QB and disrupt his timing.  Talib is not reliable and a big risk. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As opposed to talib on the bench in the biggest games?  Maybe he will make it to half time before he rides the pine.  If I still feel if we don't fix the line it won't matter who we have back there. If we are going to spend that much money spent it on the interior line. Vince may not be back effective and they won't have to throw they'll run it. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree with working on depth for the DL/DE/OLB. We need pressure from both the inside and outside when needed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, he should be resigned even at market value. 

BB needs to pony up on this and say "the heck with depth." Just go get the player and take a breather from the the tag sale circuit and value game.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, screw depth and sign a guy who can't stay healthy to save his life. When Talib gets injured, AGAIN, next season, we will be happy.

Let him go if he wants top value, I would prefer Vontae, Verner or even DRC. At least they don't get injured when the wind blows too hard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wait weren't people saying he was going to stick around because he loved the team and wanted to win?

It's the modern NFL, players want money simply put. I don't Talib because I don't think his hip will last but it goes to show you players aren't going to come here to win. Heck they have no reason to, there are 7 other teams in the last 10 years that have won and we haven't. There are plenty of other choices, this isn't the 3 championship in 4 years teams anymore. I think that's what people are forgetting and live in the past about. The lure of those rings is gone and if we want top end FAs we will have to pay top dollar to get them. If we want to save money there are plenty of Amendola's, Lloyds, Fanene's, A. Wilsons on the market because no other teams want them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

Has anyone tallied the cost of all of the failed replacements for Samuels versus what his contract would have cost?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the PAts can afford to fix the DL and sign Talib.

hasnt Talib's absence shown that with out him this defense is not good? combine him with a healthy DL, and this defense could be top 3

BB has to manage Talib's absences with depth and game planning, which he and Patricia did very well this year, but the last game showed that talent will trump game planning...Pats dont have a talent like Talib on the team.

they have to sign him, they know it and he knows it 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Talib is like that family car that ran great around town, but the day you are ready to head out for family vacation the engine dies.

"top of the market".    What a howl.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Sounds like basic negotiating by both the Patriots and Talib.  Not a suprise.  I hope they come to an agreement because I want him back in NE.  If we do resign him, I would expect a deal that is very similar to the one Grimes signed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hasnt Talib's absence shown that with out him this defense is not good? combine him with a healthy DL, and this defense could be top 3

BB has to manage Talib's absences with depth and game planning, which he and Patricia did very well this year, but the last game showed that talent will trump game planning...Pats dont have a talent like Talib on the team.

[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree.  He has top corner talent but he can't stay on the field and he's proven that repeatedly.  In 2011 he was IRed over a hamstring and missed the last 3 games of the season.  He's missed regular season games in both '12 and '13 with injuries as well as not being on the field when needed in both AFCCGs the Pats played in those years.

When he's healthy he's outstanding.  Of course it's not my call but I wouldn't pay the guy top dollar unless a good bit of that was incentive based tied to games played.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree.  He has top corner talent but he can't stay on the field and he's proven that repeatedly.  In 2011 he was IRed over a hamstring and missed the last 3 games of the season.  He's missed regular season games in both '12 and '13 with injuries as well as not being on the field when needed in both AFCCGs the Pats played in those years.

When he's healthy he's outstanding.  Of course it's not my call but I wouldn't pay the guy top dollar unless a good bit of that was incentive based tied to games played.

[/QUOTE]

he will be paid top dallar with incentives, just like Grimes contract (loaded with incentives)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

hopefully just negotiating ploy.......if asking for crazy $$ then he really isn't in it for the team and we should let him go. I want players who WANT to play here at reasonable millions (how much do these athletes REALLY need ? )

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Too much money on one player with a history of getting injured when the Pats need him most. I would much rather see the Pats bite the bullet on a player like Revis, who is  a real top shutdown corner.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talib is like that family car that ran great around town, but the day you are ready to head out for family vacation the engine dies.

[/QUOTE]

C'mon man. did you watch Talib play this year? if you want to make a car analogy, Talib was like a Masserati that had a flat tire. His injuries were nagging, not chronic nor all too serious. with oput those nagging injuries the guy was in the top 3 discussion for DPOY.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

C'mon man. did you watch Talib play this year? if you want to make a car analogy, Talib was like a Masserati that had a flat tire. His injuries were nagging, not chronic nor all too serious. with oput those nagging injuries the guy was in the top 3 discussion for DPOY.

[/QUOTE]

I understand your argument but the way I see it the guy has been MIA when the Pats needed him most.  I agree, when healthy, he kicks a_ss; the question is can the Pats count on the guy being healthy (relative, I know) when they need him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand your argument but the way I see it the guy has been MIA when the Pats needed him most.  I agree, when healthy, he kicks a_ss; the question is can the Pats count on the guy being healthy (relative, I know) when they need him.

[/QUOTE]

are you talking about Gronk or Talib?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/03/source_aqib_talib_wants_top_of_the_market_deal

"Talib wants to be paid as a top-of-the-market corner in free agency, according to a source. Since the Dolphins signed Brent Grimes to a four-year, $32 million contract, including $16 million guaranteed, that baseline for this class of prized free agents has been established."

----------

buh-bye...

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...so long, Aqib. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you talking about Gronk or Talib?

[/QUOTE]

If the foo sh1ts, rkarp.  Gronk's already signed; Talib isn't.  Not sure Gronk had the same injury history before BB signed him to the longer term deal. 

Sections
Shortcuts