posted at 7/29/2013 7:07 AM EDT
In response to csylvia79's comment:
In response to wozzy's comment:
In response to mthurl's comment:
I understand what you are saying, but a couple of things about the receivers we had then...David Patten ran a 4.3, David Givens was a 4.5 guy, Branch was a 4.48 guy. Troy Brown was the only one out of that bunch that was "slow". Don't forget we also had a dynamic pass catcher in Kevin Faulk. So three out of our four receivers could get behind a defense (we all saw them being able to stretch a field) and with Faulk you didn't know what we were going to do...hand it to him? Line him up outside? Screen? Didn't matter, the guy was going to make a play.
When you have three guys that can run deep, catch a quick screen, run an out, an in, it changes your passing game. We haven't had a receiver that could run under a 4.5 since Moss was here - the Ravens had a field day with that two years in a row - if they had to worry about a guy getting behind them things would of been different.
We've had a bunch of fast guys since then, that's my point, in the NFL everybody is fast, deep passes happen because of play action and guile, not because of some physical advantage David Givens has over an opposing D back. We ran early in 2007, which opened Moss up deep, the latter half of the season we ran less and less and eventually we started scoring less.
I agree to an extent but guile only works a few plays a game... without the smash mouth running game that can get three yards even when the box is loaded your not going to get that many big plays off play action. The LB and DB have to fear being gashed in the run. Pats in the last few years don't run well when they need it the most. Big games are won often by the team that can get the tough yardage when everyone in the stands knows what is coming. I honestly think BB wouldn't use shotgun as much if the running game could truely carry the load. I hope this is the year the running game can take over games and be the first option.
If the answer were simply more play action, more runs, and more of Brady under center, I believe BB would have done that years ago. I just think BB is a better coach than some here apparently believe.
Wozzy points to 2007. Well the two games where the Pats scored more than 50 points both featured close to 40 passes and minimal runs from the "lead back." In fact, in the game against the Bills, Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel were the leading rushers, each with 10 carries (mostly late in the game when the Pats were killing clock). Maroney only had six carries. Look at the first half play-by-play in that game for the Pats. It's very heavy shotgun formations, there's not a ton of play action, and they don't "establish the run." This is exactly the kind of game that should be a big fail according to our resident experts. Yet the Pats scored 56 points.
- New England Patriots at 12:51
- 1-10-BUF 13(12:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 10-J.Gaffney to BUF 6 for 7 yards (55-A.Crowell). Caught in flat at BUF 7.
- 2-3-BUF 6(12:19) 39-L.Maroney up the middle for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
- ew England Patriots at 10:22
- 1-10-NE 37(10:22) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 44 for 7 yards (90-C.Kelsay). Caught in flat at NE 41.
- 2-3-NE 44(9:46) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to 18-D.Stallworth. Dropped, receiver near sideline at BUF 35.
- 3-3-NE 44(9:42) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 84-B.Watson to BUF 41 for 15 yards (20-D.Whitner, 38-J.Butler). Caught over middle.
- 1-10-BUF 41(9:02) 39-L.Maroney left tackle to BUF 43 for -2 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio).
- 2-12-BUF 43(8:19) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 81-R.Moss. Dropped, receiver on in route from right at BUF 32.
- 3-12-BUF 43(8:12) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep right to 81-R.Moss for 43 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught at goal line, backing into end zone.
- ew England Patriots at 03:38
- 9-R.Lindell kicks 57 yards from BUF 30 to NE 13. 23-W.Andrews to NE 28 for 15 yards (27-C.Wire). Ruled that player was down before any fumble. Buffalo challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #1.)
- 1-10-NE 28(3:29) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 33-K.Faulk. Thrown under pressure: A.Schobel. PENALTY on NE-12-T.Brady, Intentional Grounding, 12 yards, enforced at NE 28.
- 2-22-NE 16(3:23) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 18-D.Stallworth to NE 30 for 14 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio). Caught at NE 20.
- 3-8-NE 30(2:41) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep right to 10-J.Gaffney to BUF 39 for 31 yards (37-G.Wilson). Caught while sliding in flat at BUF 41.
- 1-10-BUF 39(2:04) 39-L.Maroney left tackle to BUF 37 for 2 yards (94-A.Schobel; 95-K.Williams).
- 2-8-BUF 37(1:27) 39-L.Maroney right tackle to BUF 28 for 9 yards (95-K.Williams).
- 1-10-BUF 28(:50) 83-W.Welker right end to BUF 25 for 3 yards (24-T.McGee). Reverse, handoff from T.Brady.
- 2-7-BUF 25(:08) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss to BUF 16 for 9 yards (38-J.Butler). Caught in flat at BUF 20, crossing to middle.
- England Patriots at 12:45
- 1-10-NE 16(12:45) 12-T.Brady pass deep right to 84-B.Watson to NE 41 for 25 yards (37-G.Wilson). Caught on run in flat at NE 33.
- 1-10-NE 41(12:11) (Shotgun) 39-L.Maroney left guard to NE 45 for 4 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio).
- 2-6-NE 45(11:28) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to BUF 40 for 15 yards (33-J.Greer). Caught in flat at BUF 42.
- 1-10-BUF 40(10:42) (Shotgun) 39-L.Maroney left guard to BUF 40 for no gain (98-L.Tripplett, 52-J.DiGiorgio).
- 2-10-BUF 40(10:02) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 33-K.Faulk to BUF 32 for 8 yards (56-K.Ellison). Screen, caught at BUF 37.
- 3-2-BUF 32(9:19) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 18-D.Stallworth to BUF 21 for 11 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio). WR screen, caught at BUF 32.
- 1-10-BUF 21(8:40) 44-H.Evans up the middle to BUF 21 for no gain (55-A.Crowell).
- 2-10-BUF 21(7:59) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 33-K.Faulk to BUF 11 for 10 yards (20-D.Whitner). FUMBLES (20-D.Whitner), recovered by NE-81-R.Moss at BUF 11. K.Faulk injured on play, assisted off. Measurement = first down.
- 1-10-BUF 11(7:28) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady scrambles left guard to BUF 6 for 5 yards (93-A.Hargrove). Scramble after pressure: J.McCargo.
- 2-5-BUF 6(6:37) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 81-R.Moss for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught in front left corner of end zone.
- iots at 02:49
- 1-10-NE 28(2:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to NE 37 for 9 yards (55-A.Crowell). Caught at NE 35.
- 2-1-NE 37(2:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 81-R.Moss to NE 42 for 5 yards (38-J.Butler). Caught at NE 42.
- 1-10-NE 42(2:06) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker (38-J.Butler). Receiver and coverage in flat at NE 47.
- Two-Minute Warning
- 2-10-NE 42(2:00) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to NE 49 for 7 yards (38-J.Butler). Caught in flat at NE 48.
- 3-3-NE 49(1:37) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss to BUF 39 for 12 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio). Caught at BUF 40, crossing to middle.
- 1-10-BUF 39(1:15) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 18-D.Stallworth. Underthrown, receiver along sideline at BUF 27.
- 2-10-BUF 39(1:09) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to BUF 28 for 11 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio) [93-A.Hargrove]. Caught at BUF 37, crossing to middle.
- 1-10-BUF 28(:40) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at BUF 23 for 5 yards (38-J.Butler). Caught along sideline at BUF 23.
- 2-5-BUF 23(:34) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss to BUF 19 for 4 yards (24-T.McGee). Caught near sideline at BUF 21. Measurement = third down.
- Timeout #1 by NE at 00:28.
- 3-1-BUF 19(:28) (Shotgun) 44-H.Evans up the middle to BUF 17 for 2 yards (92-R.Denney; 93-A.Hargrove).
- Timeout #2 by NE at 00:22.
- 1-10-BUF 17(:22) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep middle to 81-R.Moss. Thrown wide of receiver, 9 yds. deep in end zone.
- 2-10-BUF 17(:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass deep right to 81-R.Moss for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 7 yds. into end zone, along sideline. Moss sets Patriots single-game rec. TD record with 4, breaking mark of 3 done 7 times previously (most recent: Ben Coates, 11/26/95 at Buf.)