Tarkenton says Brady "getting old".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Tarkenton says Brady "getting old".

And he says his play shows it. He also says the same of PM. As I've said, we're now walking through a minefield with this. The next step could be the one.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/336570-tarkenton-brady-manning-are-getting-old?sct=nfl_bf1_a4&eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Tarkenton says Brady

Duh, that is not news.  He keeps trying his best, though, which is what we want!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Tarkenton says: "Brady hasn't looked like Brady in two years."

What exactly was wrong with last season?  No doubt Brady is nearing the end of his career, but I don't see how last season is evidence of that considering the numbers and the fact that we were a few plays away from winning the SB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Tarkenton gets up 6 times a night to take a leak. He is old. Brady is 35 years young. Rely on heavy use of the run game, play action and build around defense. It is what a few of us have been saying for years. It wasn't because we thought Brady was playing bad. It was because we need to protect him and keep him healthy as long as we can....and it makes for a successful post season football team.

Brady is fine, he is learning a new offense after 3 years of just chucking it up there. Manning however looked not only old, but injured.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Tarkenton is worried that Brady is going to pass him on the list of career touchdown pass leaders.  Brady has 303 for fifth place all time, Tarkenton has 342 for fourth all time.  Brady probably passes him next year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Brady IS getting old, but there is no evidence that his skills are diminished.  He still runs the 40 in less than a minute.

Tarkenton is still holding up pretty well too!  He remembers he was a football player.  Hey, does Tark do some infomercial where he tries to bilk old people out of money?  Maybe when Brady really is old he'll buy whatever it is that Tark sells. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Sure . . .  Brady is getting up there for an NFL quarterback, but the next time I go to Fran Tarkenton for hot-off-the-presses NFL analysis will be the first time. I liked Fran in his playing days, but he's a bitter old man and is not to be taken seriously no matter what he says.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tarkenton gets up 6 times a night to take a leak. He is old. Brady is 35 years young. Rely on heavy use of the run game, play action and build around defense. It is what a few of us have been saying for years. It wasn't because we thought Brady was playing bad. It was because we need to protect him and keep him healthy as long as we can....and it makes for a successful post season football team.

Brady is fine, he is learning a new offense after 3 years of just chucking it up there. Manning however looked not only old, but injured.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  Good post.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

An athlete at 35 isn't going to be as good as they were at 25, and Brady is no longer at the level that he was a few years ago but that's what happens. Thats why guys retire and don't keep playing till they are 50 years old. He's still among the elite quarterbacks in the league. 

This is all the more reason why a running game will help this team and Brady. Keep the defense honest and keep Brady from getting beat up.  If he's back there throwing 40 times a game and in the shotgun/spread for most of that , he wont make it through the season, no way. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tarkenton says: "Brady hasn't looked like Brady in two years."

What exactly was wrong with last season?  No doubt Brady is nearing the end of his career, but I don't see how last season is evidence of that considering the numbers and the fact that we were a few plays away from winning the SB.

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  Brady was on pace to break his own INT streak/record for the highest of career (2002).   The Jets dropped 3 in the first half in that November game, and he seemed to snap out of it after that, but please dude. Brady was not very good against good Ds last year.  Spiked stats against bad Ds doesn't mean he's consistent.

Brady clearly hasn't been as consistent since the 2010 season.  Nice job to use the hurry up early in 2011 off the lockout, but he wasn't very good at the end of Sept vs Buffalo right into October.

[/QUOTE]

You can't have it both ways. So, "Brady was on pace to break his own INT streak/record" (he had 8 INTs in his first 6 games), then he had only 4 INTs in his last 10 games. What is your assessment of the last 10 games in relation to his overall quality?

Brady's effectiveness will diminish. The question is when. Are we witnessing the start of it? Have we already, as Tarkenton says? Or will he amaze us for a few more years with even better results than we saw on 2011?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tarkenton has got to be the most bitter former player ever. I remember he watched Bledsoe from the owner's box during his second season and said Bledsoe wouldn't last to year five if he kept throwing the ball with his mechanics (it would wear out his shoulder)...of course Bledsoe went on to play 10 plus seasons and his arm looked no weaker than the day he arrived.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's sad folks but we all are getting older.  My man TFB is showing some signs of getting older, not a knock on him because he is still one of the very best in the league.  But he doesn't have the same physical skills he had even a few years ago.  That's why it is so important for this team to make the most out of every opportunity.  It's the now or never urgency.  I think that's why I am extra passonat about each and every game because it's one game closer to TFB hanging up the cleats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's no "new offense" here.  That's a myth. It's the same offense, it's just that McDaniels maybe running more base sets or different plays that they hadn't been running with regularity in recent seasons under O'Brien.

He has a new flanker in Lloyd and the right side of the O Line is in flux. Those are the only real "excuses" that people can use with Brady right now.

Get Connolly back at RG or preferably C, see how Cannon works at RG and then let Vollmer play a whole game at RT moving forward and you'll see a better Brady emerge.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, i don''t buy into the new offense theory either. 2007 was a new offense too, actually most of them are. the changes at the O-line you mentioned would help too IMO.

Brady is still without question good enough to win another superbowl or two, with this improved defense he doesn't have to win games on his own. All he really needs to do is put together a few good drives each game with running and passing, and not to turn the ball over. . 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I certainly think a player that is aging will diminish in his skills sooner rather than later, but in my opinion Brady has played phenominal over the past two seasons. He's had to put the ball into some ricolously tight spaces and has out of this world production without the aid of a consistent running game. The defense has been poor over the last two seasons and it has hurt the team.

If he ends up having a down year by his standards - I'd be willing to bet it's because of a offensive line that is still trying to figure things out. You don't throw for 5k yards and 39 touchdowns and have that be condidered a bad year or a guy in decline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's sad folks but we all are getting older.  My man TFB is showing some signs of getting older, not a knock on him because he is still one of the very best in the league.  But he doesn't have the same physical skills he had even a few years ago.  That's why it is so important for this team to make the most out of every opportunity.  It's the now or never urgency.  I think that's why I am extra passonat about each and every game because it's one game closer to TFB hanging up the cleats.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, its frustrating jus how close they have come to winning 3 more superbowls. 2006, 2007, and 2011.  he and BB are that close to having 6 rings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

For everyone who keeps saying Brady is learning a new offense, he is NOT!  They've ran the same Erhardt-Perkins system since Charlie Weis installed it.  Josh McD learned it from Charlie and ran it at both Denver and St.L and Bill O'Brien, while he used it, I don't think he ever really LEARNED it.  That's why you'll never see an outside OC brought in that doesn't run the same system, because the last thing they (and Brady) want is for him to have to learn a new system with different nomenclature and verbage.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

As quarterbacks get older they often gain in guile what they lose in athleticism.  Eventually they're losing faster than they're gaining, as Peyton Manning is proving this year.  Now there's a rusty giant of the game slowed by injuries.

My sense is that last week Brady was a bit off from last February's Super Bowl, where he was running up a really nice streak of completions against a tough defense.  To call last week's performace age and not perhaps a stomach virus is a stretch.  Last week was also notable for guys dropping his accurate passes. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to manowar333's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

[/QUOTE]

For everyone who keeps saying Brady is learning a new offense, he is NOT!  They've ran the same Erhardt-Perkins system since Charlie Weis installed it.  Josh McD learned it from Charlie and ran it at both Denver and St.L and Bill O'Brien, while he used it, I don't think he ever really LEARNED it.  That's why you'll never see an outside OC brought in that doesn't run the same system, because the last thing they (and Brady) want is for him to have to learn a new system with different nomenclature and verbage.

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that Obrien was running the "Erhardt-Perkins" system? I don't think he was. So in that respect, let's just say Brady is "re-learning" the old offense that he has not run in 4 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

He was in shotgun over 80% of his passes last year, I read on another post. I don't think that is what they did back in the day. This offense is new to what we have run the last 3 years. Anybody disagrees I'd be interested to hear why?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This^

It is a new offense as far as new players involved, (new) return to an old philosophy, a much more physical demanding style of play for the O Line and roles still being defined.  The offense needs to play better, they need to gel, Brady is still Brady and age hasn't diminished anything.

Geez, stop being a bunch of whiny p~$$ys, it's an embarrassment to Patriot fans everywhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Oh yeah, In BB I trust.

25. This post has been removed.