Tarkenton says Brady "getting old".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Tarkenton says Brady

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Rwmeber when TB showed up on the scene?  How from 2001-2004, it WASN'T about the numbers, but about getting it DONE? 

And we said: "who gives a flip about Peyton and Marino, Brady has 3 rings."  Now, many are flipping the switch and saying: "he's not getting old, look at the numbers he's putting up."

The world needs to stop making this team about Brady.  So does the team itself.  I'd rather he go 10/17 with 100 yds and 1 TD and win rather than 30/45 with 350 yds and 3 TDs and lose.

I'm all for that. Let's make it all about the team again. When it's all about one guy you know you have a problem.

And that means we have to have a defense that isn't dead last in giving up 1st downs. Looks like we may well have turned the corner on that with the new additions and maybe some better play from what we already had.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Brady used to stand, and slide around the pocket masterfully. He would stare down the rush, and deliver the pass while taking the hit.

Then his knee got blown out doing exactly that.

At that point, he went from "All Time Great", to merely "Pro Bowl Caliber". I say that slightly toungue-in-cheek, but I absolutely mean it. He is still about a Top 5 QB, but he's no longer THE best in the league, hands down, or one of 2. It's to be expected of QBs as they enter their mid-30s.

He's still good, but has become far too aware of the rush, and looks for it too much. He is no longer willing to take a shot in the chest to deliver a pass, he folds and takes the sack, or tries to avoid the hit as he throws it away.

It's ok to realize a guy isn't just on the back 9, he's on the back 4-5. He is still plenty good enough to lead a team to a championship, but he needs more help to do it that he has in the past. The D is doing their part. The running game is doing their part. It's up to the OLine and coaching to carry their weight, and everything will be fine.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

OH NO! Now nobody will know what I wrote!!!!

OHHHhhhhh WOE IS ME!

Oh wait, you can't delete my post.

You make me smile Harley. I've never had a stalker before! Kinda fun knowing I have that much control over you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I warned him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Brady used to stand, and slide around the pocket masterfully. He would stare down the rush, and deliver the pass while taking the hit.

At that point, he went from "All Time Great", to merely "Pro Bowl Caliber". I say that slightly toungue-in-cheek, but I absolutely mean it. He is still about a Top 5 QB, but he's no longer THE best in the league, hands down, or one of 2. It's to be expected of QBs as they enter their mid-30s.

He's still good, but has become far too aware of the rush, and looks for it too much. He is no longer willing to take a shot in the chest to deliver a pass, he folds and takes the sack, or tries to avoid the hit as he throws it away.

It's ok to realize a guy isn't just on the back 9, he's on the back 4-5. He is still plenty good enough to lead a team to a championship, but he needs more help to do it that he has in the past. The D is doing their part. The running game is doing their part. It's up to the OLine and coaching to carry their weight, and everything will be fine.

I'm not going to argue that he is 35 years old and thus older than when he was 29, but to say he is watching the rush and is afraid to take a hit in the chest to deliver a ball is ridicolous. The guy got absolutely creamed delivering balls in meaningless pre season games THIS year. I mean if you're afraid to do that, why do it in a pre season game? This guy gets pummelled fairly regularly...he broke his damn nose 30 minutes into the season. The guy has played with just about every known injury to man throughout his career and played pretty damn well.

Did you watch the game last week? If you did, all you saw was a guy sliding/stepping around/up the pocket trying to avoid the rush and keep the play alive. If it appears he's mindfull of the pass rush around him I assure you it's because he doesn't want a sack (strip sack) to result in a turn over that will lose the game for us.  I think this "he's getting old" crap is starting a little prematurely...he threw for 5 thoudand yards and 39 touchdowns last year...old, diminishing guys don't do that. If the line was the same as last year - we win that game Sunday and it's not even close.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I did watch the game last week. Him getting his nose broken had nothing to do with anything other than a kind of freak accident.

I watched him slide away from nothing at times, and I saw him 'turtle' and take a sack, and I saw him desperately get rid of the ball when he could have EASILY run for a 1st down, for an incompletion. Those are things I'm not used to seeing out of him. He NEVER used to just curl to the ground and concede a sack. Yes, the OLine is part of the issue, but Brady isn't infallible. He's still darn good, but he's not "Tom Terrific" anymore. He's only "Tom Very Good Most of the Time".

Did you notice how many guys threw for 4000+ yards last year? And 3 at 5000+? And another withing spitting distance of 5k? This, in a league where there were only, I think, there were only 2 single seasons by a QB over 5k yards at all up to that point. EVERYONE threw for a lot of yards, it's the way of the league right now. To point to that as a reason he's not getting old is silly.

I don't say any of this as a slight towards Brady, it's my opinion. I've said before, and I'll say again: I would go with him, right now, against anybody and like my chances. He's my first choice. But that's not because of my head, that's my heart speaking. But my  head has a loud voice too, and I can't ignore everything it has to say.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    Brady IS getting old, but there is no evidence that his skills are diminished.  He still runs the 40 in less than a minute.

RESPONSE: Tom's accuracy isn't what it used to be...he's getting nicked up a bit more often...has even less mobility than he once had...and, though throwing deep was never his strong suit, he's worse now.   

Tarkenton is still holding up pretty well too!  He remembers he was a football player.  Hey, does Tark do some infomercial where he tries to bilk old people out of money?  Maybe when Brady really is old he'll buy whatever it is that Tark sells. 

RESPONSE: Stop it! Tarkenton's a sharp guy, and a Hall of Famer. He was one of the best QBs of his era. No SB wins, but got his team there three times...each time losing to much better teams (Steel Curtain Steelers, Csonka led Dolphins, and the hated "76 Raiders). Heck, how many former football players have gone on to become millionaires in the business world, like Fran? Sorry, but there's some truth to what he's saying.

This is not to say that Tom is washed up. He just needs very good pass protection to be effective. It seems that Tom is hearing more foot-steps now, than he did in his younger days.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Uh oh. Johnny Threadkiller is back!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Interesting points. But who can you show me is a better QB?

In the last 4 full seasons played Brady has better stats than anybody in the game. Not too shabby for a guy who had a blown out knee sandwiched among those years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm starting to think that people think Tom Brady is Tony Eason. I mean did anyone see the shots he took this preseason? What good is it for him to stand in there and get crushed like that? The guy will fumble the ball away when he is headed to the ground unconscious - he's smart enough to know this. I can see the Monday morning quarterbacks now...Brady should of known to hit the ground on that play...instead he selfishly stood in there trying to boost his stats and fumbled on that sack!! 

The guy is somewhere around ninth all time for fewest interceptions, yet everytime he throws a pick, it's he could of ran forward for that first down...it was only nine yards away. Think about that for a second...he's in the top ten for fewest picks (and he throws the ball more than any of those guys).

If he is in decline it's not by much, I know it's going to happen, but I don't see it yet. If he blows out another knee because he wanted to be a hero behind a line that is learning to play together...then he's done - forget declining - done.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Rwmeber when TB showed up on the scene?  How from 2001-2004, it WASN'T about the numbers, but about getting it DONE? 

And we said: "who gives a flip about Peyton and Marino, Brady has 3 rings."  Now, many are flipping the switch and saying: "he's not getting old, look at the numbers he's putting up."

The world needs to stop making this team about Brady.  So does the team itself.  I'd rather he go 10/17 with 100 yds and 1 TD and win rather than 30/45 with 350 yds and 3 TDs and lose.

I'm all for that. Let's make it all about the team again. When it's all about one guy you know you have a problem.

And that means we have to have a defense that isn't dead last in giving up 1st downs. Looks like we may well have turned the corner on that with the new additions and maybe some better play from what we already had.

Only a matter of time until you start whining about the defense with the usual ignoring that they were 15 in points and points is what decides games. Nice try

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What is your obsession with attacking Babe?

First off, ponts ultimately win the game, like if they allowed 3 less on sunday they would have won.  They didn't.

Low points and they weren't that low when you figure teams like PITs only allowed 17 per game, don't tell the whole story.

Ultimately it is the job of a D to stop first downs.  There a couple of reasons for that.

Getting off the field and allowing your O to control the game is one.  You do that and points naturally are low and if you have a good O then they can score, instead of warming the bench for the majority of the game.

This is where they failed all last year and the year prior.  Don't know why you can't admit that.

Also, who did they play?  You don't think that matters?  Half the teams had a BU. QB and no offense.  They played a bunch of sub 500 teams in scoring.  So that middle of the pack of points allowed, was actually much worse than you think and the fact that they couldn't stop a 3rd down against those sub 500 teams with no O to speak of, is even more troubling.  That really tells you where you stand and it wasn't pretty.

Good news is it appears to be better. The real test will be tomorrow when they don't play a back up (who they just lost to).  We shall see, because with the O in dissarray, this D is going to have to win games.  They almost did it last week.  Hopefully they can this week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

So does this mean Brees is in decline too because of a couple of disappointing games or Rodgers who has been awful in several of his most recent games is also a has been. The offensive line is the problem and everyone knows it. The offense was very good against the Titans and fairly awful for most of the game against the Cardinals. No QB likes getting their clock cleaned. Montana , Aikman , Unitas, Manning all played worse with bad offensive line play as will Brady. Like Manning, Brady has always preferred to go down easy than be like Roethlisberger.  

Sections
Shortcuts