Tate and Edleman - Do they have a future here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Tate and Edleman - Do they have a future here?

Farnham has solid hands and is a solid worker who overachieves. Farnham returned kicks/punts at Brown and broke some big ones. I think BB is keeping Farnham around for something. Probably Farnham reminds BB of Sean Morey who done well in Seattle for the last 10 years and he wants to see what potential Buddy has.
    I find it shocking BB could get rid of Welker or Edelman but anything is possible with BB if the right deal comes along. No one is safe on BB's roster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart99. Show stewart99's posts

I was also frustrated at Tate's lack of production during 2010. He was a 2009 draft choice and he got hurt last year but he still had the benefit of attending meetings, film study...... yada, yada......We heard how Tom Brady was so excited about him during training camp but I don't see why..........he didn't seem to be able to get open as much as you would think for a guy with his speed and he dropped too many passes. I wouldn't give up on him quite yet but if he doesn't improve by the end of training camp ....I would question whether I would devote a roster spot to him.....On the other hand - I like Edleman.....he showed real potential last year in the slot but then got hurt. I think that he's a good guy to have if Welker goes down or if his contract becomes a problem. He's not a wideout but he can play the slot and be used on special teams. Tghe issue with him is injuries...can he stay healthy or not given hes a small guy thats goningt to take a beating....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tate did flash some ability this year, but is still extremely raw as a WR.  Keep in mind that he missed the last 7 games of his college career and basically all of his rookie season, not to mention he had only 46 career receptions at UNC.  While I think they'll target a WR at some point in the 2011 draft or FA (with the idea of upgrading Edelman or Slater's roster spot), I'd expect to see some progress from Brandon next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The only reason I would keep Edleman here is to keep him from going elsewhere and making us regret it..   A guy thats as explosive as him, shouldnt end the year with 7 catches....I hear you about the injuries,...but I believe he was healthy mostly  towards the end, and still nothing but on occasional reverse or bubble screen, and I dont see room for Wes, Edleman, and Farnham....IDK, i just think there is something goign on behind the scenes with Edleman...He just fell off too much, and the fact I always see his face in those club pics....I question his focus at times...

There are a number of free agent WR's that can be had for cheap that I would like to see here...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think both guys will be here next year, but I see them as back-ups/special teamers not starting receivers.  We need a real wideout and I don't see either of these guys answering the call.  Tate has the physical attributes you'd want, but he didn't produce. Edelman is a slot receiver and we already have a few of those.  So I guess they stay on the team for depth, but Tate--unless he really steps up a notch--will lose that starting position if there's any decent competition in camp next summer, and Edelman won't break the starting line up unless he can beat out Welker and Branch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I like Edelman a lot. He is behind Welker on the depth chart, so he has limited opportunities. He is a great punt returner, great moves and is fearless. He is a threat to take it to the house anytime he is in the open field.
    Tate on the other hand I'm not crazy about. He isn't even an average receiver yet, far from it. He is supposed to be a deep threat, but can't get open. With all the weapons the Pat's have, Tate always draws single coverage and the defense isn't the least bit concerned with him. He returned 2 kicks for TD's but they weren't incredible runs or anything. He isn't as fast as everybody makes him out to be, he's about a 4.5 guy and not very elusive. I think Woodhead would be a much better kick returner. He's a 4.3 guy that is a nightmare in the open field. I'm ready for the Pat's to take a chance with Jonathan Baldwin with the 33rd pick. I'd rather see Taylor Price in the lineup than Tate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Tate - No
    Edleman - yes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't see either one of them being anything close to special. Tate looks like a straight ahead guy that would look good catching passes on a beach with some of his buddies. Edelman I don't think has yet to catch a pass more than ten yards down the field...don't get me wrong, if he catches it, he can run with it, but as far as playing like a wideout...nope. Edelman is also made of very fine rare china.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why not....it's not like we are not winning Playoff games.  We might as well not change a thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Tate will be competing with Price next year for playing time.  Edelman is an explosive slot receiver.  Unfortunately for Edelman he is behind one of the best slot receivers in the game.  He definitely has a future with the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

I'm more interested in seeing how Price develops. Special teams and KR spots are deep. Probably another WR will be picked late in the draft again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I think they both have a chance to have a future here. Tate was pretty much a rookie this year. Edleman is still a project trying to make the transfer from college QB to Pro-WR. Plus most NFL WR's don't have rookie seasons like a Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, or Andre Johnson. I've seen plenty of good receivers take 2-3 seasons to become a legitimate starter. Wouldn't be surprised if Edleman ends up taking over for Welker in a few years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goredsox100. Show goredsox100's posts

In Response to Re: Tate and Edleman - Do they have a future here?:
    [QUOTE]You're supposed to know in the NFL after three seasons right? I very confident that Edelman will get another year. He's good insurance for Welker (who hits the dreaded 30 in May), is a strong punt returner, and commands realtively very little money as he is on his rookie deal as a 7th round pick. Tate's kick returns tailed off, and he didn't seem to make guys miss. He didn't do much at receiver this year. Although he is learning and he was a redshirt rookie this year, he'll get pushed by Price and hopefully another big play guy acquired through draft, free agency, or trade. Edelman seems to have a nitch, Tate not so much.
    Posted by heisthejuan[/QUOTE]

I don't think Edelman is going anywhere. Welker is in his final year. Edelman is young and learning the system, has two great role models in Welker and Branch to prepare him for 2012 in the event both are gone. Short of him just not working hard, I don't see BB letting him go.

Tate and Price on the other hand, I think will both be put to the test. They have different roles with different expectations. And, they can be replaced in FA, traded or benched. I don't see BB getting rid of either unless he cuts them flat-out come August because BB has found talent to beat them out. Price is a big ? and I'd like to see what he can do. Tate is still young and learning, but he had better get "better" hands quick. I didn't see him as a reliable go-to. He's not a physical go and get the ball in coverage receiver. IDK. If I'm on the jury, I'm still undecided how I feel (like that makes any bit of difference, Mr. Belichick).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Tate, heck yeah!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

young guys, let them develop 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I thought Edelman was one of the few who played in the Jets game with a contagious intensity. I'd like to see him one more year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Crystals balls are hitting the floor, both these guys could be shown the door! MB what do you smell Randall Cobb anyone!!!!  Tate is still very raw and I like Edelman's chances better than Tate's not to say that either one couldn't be replaced. If the Patriots want to Draft a big time receiver they should head on down to Baton Rouge and see what Tolliver is up to. I've got him on the top of my make believe board as the sleeper of all sleepers though I must admit Randall Cobb is an interesting Ballplayer,the only thing he didn't do while at Kentucky was sell popcorn during the games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

depenfs on draft /FA/Price/Slater

it is very difficult to measure our receivers coz the
    ball is spread around do much-

Tate - he still has potential
              he is good with the ball
              I considered him a rookie+

but I would like to know how he
              graded out in the run and being
              where he was supposed to be on passes
              how many drops did he have?
              i didn't think taht many - but oters do here?

same on KO's - did we have a hester - only in the beginning             

In the Jest game je didn't get to a balk that he was
              double coverd on = am not down on him for taht

Edleman = he is a slot receiver playing bhind a Pro bowl slot receiver
             who is a little dinged up
             He is quick and like him for punts 
             He will be here

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I certainly see both of them having a spot in training camp, and it will get ironed out there. For some reason, I think Edelman is well above Tate right now. Neither of their stats were better, but I just see Edelman as the more consistent performer. Punt returns are hard to be consistently good at.
    I think Tate certainly has great potential....almost looks like a more agile Reggie Wayne type. Same frame. Same speed. Perhaps maybe a bit more acrobatic. But damn he needs to learn how to run a route. I wouldn't count him out, though.
    Who knows about Taylor Price.....of course, we've heard nothing but good things about him. He seems to be bigger and faster than Tate, and coming from an option offense, he can probably block than any of our other guys, which Belichick loves.
    I just think I see Edelman being around next year and probably having 30+ catches is that I think he'll actually steal a few snaps from Welker to keep him fresh. As much as I love Welker, something tells me his game will tail off significantly in about 2 years, and his endurance will probably start taking a hit next year. They'll need to have Edelman on some early downs so that Welker can be fresh on 3rd downs when we need him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Tate and Edleman - Do they have a future here?:
    [QUOTE]Crystals balls are hitting the floor, both these guys could be shown the door! MB what do you smell Randall Cobb anyone!!!!  Tate is still very raw and I like Edelman's chances better than Tate's not to say that either one couldn't be replaced. If the Patriots want to Draft a big time receiver they should head on down to Baton Rouge and see what Tolliver is up to. I've got him on the top of my make believe board as the sleeper of all sleepers though I must admit Randall Cobb is an interesting Ballplayer,the only thing he didn't do while at Kentucky was sell popcorn during the games.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I say that I think they'll upgrade the WR position (specifically Edelman or Slater's roster spot), Randall Cobbis the once college guy that I have a the top of my list.  This kid is ultra competitive, is fearless going over the middle, has the quick twitch athleticism and RAC ability that BB likes, can pluck the ball cleanly out of the air with little wasted steps, has a ton of big play ability and unlike Tate or Edelman has a lot of production at the WR position in college. 

Here's a link to some 2010 highlights that display said skill set:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU&feature=related 

Below is what I posted about him on another thread:

"I'm telling you, this kid (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects in entire class) is an ideal fit for this team as he's one of the most versatile players in the country and has run up some impressive career stats against tough competition and is the epitome of a 4 down player.

Below is some great info courtesy of nfldraftscout, that shows just how versatile and dominant he's been:

He was named first-team All-America in 2010 as an all-purpose player by The Associated Press, ESPN.com and SportsIllustrated.com. He was a consensus first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection. In his recently completed junior year, Cobb broke the SEC single-season record for all-purpose yardage with 2,396 yards. He led the SEC in receptions per game by catching 84 passes for 1,017 yards and seven touchdowns but his value far exceeded those contributions. He played quarterback in the "WildCobb" formation and rushed for 424 yards and five touchdowns and threw three TD passes in that role. Cobb's versatility as an all-purpose player is underscored by the fact that he was the only player in the nation who ranked first or second on his team in rushing, passing and receiving in 2010. He put points on the board eight different ways this season - rushing, receiving and passing for touchdowns; returning a punt for a TD; throwing for a TD on a fake field goal; and notching two-point conversions by rushing, passing and receiving. Although not completing his eligibility, Cobb also posted outstanding career numbers during his three seasons with the Wildcats. He broke the UK all-time record for total touchdowns (37) and ranks fourth in career all-purpose yardage (4,674), fourth in career scoring (226 points), fifth in career pass receptions (144) and sixth in career receiving yardage (1,661). - Kentucky football."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Edelman for sure, laet tate have another year to develop, if he doean't scrap him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It can be argued that Edelman was the best Pats performer in both of their last 2 playoff games.  That's certainly my position.  Why people insist on getting rid of him I don't understand.  He is elusive and almost never goes down on the first hit.  I'd like to see them use him more often.
    I still want to see more of Tate.  This was basically his rookie year.  People keep bringing up Bethel Johnson comparisons.  He has already exceeded what BJ did in 3 years here.  The problem with Tate is that he was expected to start at WR before he was ready - that's a reflection on bad drafts in the past at the WR position.  If Tate does not significantly improve next year, cut him loose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think next year is a make or break year for Tate, at least as a WR.  It's hard to carry him solely as a KR so he needs to be a more consistent deep threat to stick  Edelman shows playmaking ability when he gets a chance.  I think the Miami game is what we could reasonably expect to see from him if he gets to play.  He was buried behind Welker and Branch and was a victim of a diversified offensive scheme.  But I think he'll eventually replace Branch or Welker if he's not re-signed.