Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson

I know, I'm beating the deceased equine again, but this is an interesting article on second round safeties and what they've done in the NFL.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson

The worst pick in sports history. We will never win again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Common, give the kid a chance.  I was pretty shocked too we took him that high.  But now that we did, let's give him and BB a little benefit of the doubt.  What other HC/GM has taken their team to 5 SBs, winning 3 in the past 11 seasons?  None.  Besides, we added Gregory, the rugby player and Dennard too.  One of them has to work out better than what we had last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Faucet, after watching film of Wilson and some of the other safeties available at 48, I've grown to like the pick a lot.  I thought the article was good mostly because it dispelled the myth that second round picks are busts if they don't turn out to be top-level starters.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

People act as if our whole draft was a bust because of this choice. How long are we going to keep beating a dead horse? I get it, people don't like the pick..Move on. it's getting boring hearing the same thing over and over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson": [QUOTE]People act as if our whole draft was a bust because of this choice. How long are we going to keep beating a dead horse? I get it, people don't like the pick..Move on. it's getting boring hearing the same thing over and over. Posted by NoahJustin[/QUOTE] ^^^ This. I thought we had a great draft. Let's give BB some slack here. He's the best coach in the game , along with a very good GM. And let's give the kid a chance to prove himself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Watch the kid play...some empirical data always adds weight to opinions...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson": [QUOTE]Common, give the kid a chance.  I was pretty shocked too we took him that high.  But now that we did, let's give him and BB a little benefit of the doubt.  What other HC/GM has taken their team to 5 SBs, winning 3 in the past 11 seasons?  None.  Besides, we added Gregory, the rugby player and Dennard too.  One of them has to work out better than what we had last year. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] I was just being sarcastic. BB had this kid at the very least as his 3rd rated safety, and I wouldn't doubt if he had him over Harrison Smith as well. Good pick to address a position of need. 4 year player, 3 year starter, team captain who can play all d back positions. Perfect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I  like Tavon Wilson .

The person.

I just don't think he shows anything on the limited highlights we've all seen that merits being selected mid 2nd round so...

I don't like the pick .

It's only one guys arm-chaired-qb's opinion but until I see otherwise ...

I'm stickin' to it.

THAT kind of talent can ( and likely was ) attained later in the draft.

I thought it was laughably bad value to spend such a coveted pick on him...
    IMO -it smacked of panic .
    I think BB got squeezed and forced into pulling the trigger way too soon.

( I'm not knockin' BB -it happens to the best of them.
     No one I'd rather have workin' our drafts - just callin it as I see it )

Admit it , if the Jests had drafted Tayvon Wilson with their original #47th pick ...

We'd all be beyond glee over it .

That said ,
     Tayvon Wilson is a Patriot now so it I'm going to be at camp cheerin' him on and hopin' he exceeds everybody's wildest expectations .
      I'm also hoping that someday an enterprising  BDC poster digs up all the unflatterin' things I and many others said and we'll all properly eat our share of crow.
    ( or deceased equine )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I look at what weve done in the off season and draft and have so much hope for next season. Our biggest weakness were lack of depth and defense. Just look how far we've come. Hot d*mm, I'm excited about next season. If our offense is as good as last year, and our defense comes together, were going to be one scary team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson:
    [QUOTE]I look at what weve done in the off season and draft and have so much hope for next season. Our biggest weakness were lack of depth and defense. Just look how far we've come. Hot d*mm, I'm excited about next season. If our offense is as good as last year, and our defense comes together, were going to be one scary team.
    Posted by NoahJustin[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums up my view as well. Well said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Just to clarify, I'm not criticizing the Wilson pick.  I posted the article mostly because I thought it effectively refuted the argument that some were making that the 48th pick in the draft had to be some kind of high impact player for the pick not to be a bust.  The reality is that most second round safeties have turned out to have good, but not necessarily stellar, NFL careers.

I think some people have inflated expectations about what you get, on average, in the second round.  The second round mostly produces average quality players--typical starters or sound back ups.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pretty good read on the picks and the possible reasonings behind.  I like the pick because I take the word of a few people who said he fell through plenty of scouting dept.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

If the 2 first round picks pan out like we all hope...anything from Wilson will be viewed as a huge bonus, or nobody will even care anyway!

Once camps get going, people will refocus on other things around this team:

-Ocho
    -McCourty, 2011 or 2010?
    -DLine
    -OLine changes
    -OBrien out, McDaniels back in
    -Brady's new closet full of WRs, which are a lot of his old WRs
    -The running game...in general
    -Ras-I Dowling, healthy? Any good?
    -Then maybe down here, the S situation: Chung, Wilson, Gregory (oh yeah), and Segio Brown, who I'm actually a fan of...more so if he cut his dreads and stopped looking like Meriweather on the field.

If the front 7 play better, the back 4 will ALL look better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson": I was just being sarcastic. BB had this kid at the very least as his 3rd rated safety, and I wouldn't doubt if he had him over Harrison Smith as well. Good pick to address a position of need. 4 year player, 3 year starter, team captain who can play all d back positions. Perfect.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    Ok, good.  I don't know where BB had him ranked but clearly he felt someone was going to take him before 62.  The next S on my board after Barron and Smith was Brandon Taylor from LSU.  It's interesting that SD took him in the 3rd round.  And where was SD picking in the 2nd round?  One pick behind us at 49.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson": [QUOTE]Common, give the kid a chance.  I was pretty shocked too we took him that high.  But now that we did, let's give him and BB a little benefit of the doubt.  What other HC/GM has taken their team to 5 SBs, winning 3 in the past 11 seasons?  None.  Besides, we added Gregory, the rugby player and Dennard too.  One of them has to work out better than what we had last year. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] +1 I am not looking at this kid singularly. Wilson plus Dennard plus doweling return, Moore another year in the system, etc, our secondary should be much improved . Combine this with what we did on the DL and Hightower at LB, and on paper this is a much improved defense, it's faster, more physical, and should be able to get off the field on 3rd down. Guys, we just had an amazing offseason! I am looking forward to understanding how BB uses all these pieces and parts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I look at what weve done in the off season and draft and have so much hope for next season. Our biggest weakness were lack of depth and defense. Just look how far we've come. Hot d*mm, I'm excited about next season. If our offense is as good as last year, and our defense comes together, were going to be one scary team.
    Posted by NoahJustin[/QUOTE]
    Exactly!!!  On paper our O is actually better than last year.  Only major losses were BJGE and Matt Light.  We signed Gallery who was a high pick and never reached his potential.  I'd like to see what Scar can do with him.  We have Koppen back and hopefully Vollmer's back problems are behind him.  Solder and Cannon should be improved and I think Cannon could be a beast of a RG if anything happens to Waters but then again, he may be needed at RT which is fine because Connolly can slide over to RG with Koppen at C.  All and I think our OL will be improved.

I'm excited to see what Brandon Lloyd can do.  Gaffney was always pretty steady.  Not sure what the deal with Welker will end up being.  It sure seems like we loaded up for a little tag, sign and trade.  BB will likely tuck a couple of WRs away on the PUP list but all in all, I think this group is stronger.

At RB we might be a little weaker but I think if Vereen can stay healthy, he has home run ability.  Ridley has already shown he's a better runner than BJGE.  Obviously we added a little depth at TE as well.

Defensively, our first two picks, especially Hightower, could make immediate improvements in our pass rushing and run defense.  I love Bequette also and think he could be better than Jones early on.  I feel like our LB corp is now very deep, talented and tough. 

In the secondary, I think Dennard has the chance to start either at FS or perhaps as a nickel or dime.  If Wilson doesn't win the FS job, perhaps Dennard will or worse case we move McCourty to FS and Dennard can start opposite Dowling.  The key is Dowling staying healthy which he hasn't done for a few years now.  We have a lot of depth and options back there so we shouldn't have to see Edelman on D this year. 

Even if our D moves up to top 20, and our O remains in the top 3, we should be able to contend for top record in the AFC given our schedule.  I like our chances in the play-offs at home against anyone from the AFC.  Then lets hope we can get back to the SB and actually win it this time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson : Exactly!!!  On paper our O is actually better than last year.  Only major losses were BJGE and Matt Light.  We signed Gallery who was a high pick and never reached his potential.  I'd like to see what Scar can do with him.  We have Koppen back and hopefully Vollmer's back problems are behind him.  Solder and Cannon should be improved and I think Cannon could be a beast of a RG if anything happens to Waters but then again, he may be needed at RT which is fine because Connolly can slide over to RG with Koppen at C.  All and I think our OL will be improved. I'm excited to see what Brandon Lloyd can do.  Gaffney was always pretty steady.  Not sure what the deal with Welker will end up being.  It sure seems like we loaded up for a little tag, sign and trade.  BB will likely tuck a couple of WRs away on the PUP list but all in all, I think this group is stronger. At RB we might be a little weaker but I think if Vereen can stay healthy, he has home run ability.  Ridley has already shown he's a better runner than BJGE.  Obviously we added a little depth at TE as well. Defensively, our first two picks, especially Hightower, could make immediate improvements in our pass rushing and run defense.  I love Bequette also and think he could be better than Jones early on.  I feel like our LB corp is now very deep, talented and tough.  In the secondary, I think Dennard has the chance to start either at FS or perhaps as a nickel or dime.  If Wilson doesn't win the FS job, perhaps Dennard will or worse case we move McCourty to FS and Dennard can start opposite Dowling.  The key is Dowling staying healthy which he hasn't done for a few years now.  We have a lot of depth and options back there so we shouldn't have to see Edelman on D this year.  Even if our D moves up to top 20, and our O remains in the top 3, we should be able to contend for top record in the AFC given our schedule.  I like our chances in the play-offs at home against anyone from the AFC.  Then lets hope we can get back to the SB and actually win it this time. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] Amen

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

I dont know if ridley is a better runner than BJGE. Fumbulitis Ridley remember? I think Letting the law firm go is a mistake. We might get haunted by it in the long run

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I don't actually see anything wrong with the Wilson pick.  Specifically, he's big enough to survive in the NFL, unlike a number of BB's previous picks.  Runs in the high 4.4s.  Doubles at cornerback.  His other hallmark is slipping right underneath everyone's radar. 

BB's picks from Mars often turn out to be his best picks.  Go against BB at your own risk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm just going to use the BB line " It isn't where you were drafted but what you do when you get here". If you want to say Tavon Wilson should not have been selected in the second round then you will also have to concede that Alphonso Dennard should not have been availible to the Patriots in round seven,in fact if you flip them around you would probably thought the Patriots had a great draft! So do like I do and just think thats what happened.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Two fumbles as a rookie have led many to label him a fumbler.I would suggest that this conclusion may be considerably premature.Rookies get nervous and make mistakes that certainly be resolved with some experience.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon "Deadhorse" Wilson : ....clearly he felt someone was going to take him before 62.  ...
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

not necessarily. it could be that his plan was to get wilson in the second and trade the other second round pick. i believe at the time they were picking 48, 62 was the only pick they had remaining. perhaps bb wanted to pick wilson at 62, but just could not get the trade he wanted and was forced to pick up wilson at 48 so he can trade 62 for picks.

Sections
Shortcuts