Tavon Austin scores a 7 on his Wonderlic test

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Tavon Austin scores a 7 on his Wonderlic test

Allegedly.

Huge talent but I guess even if the Pats were to land him he might not pick up that playbook so quickly.

Anyone ever taken a Wonderlic test?  I took one before as part of the hiring process for a securities/investment company.  Wasn't very difficult, you have to really wonder about some of these athletes and the education they are(n't) getting at college.

Trade for Mr. Britt, dude scored a 21, the ave WR score is 17. 

How much weight do you think a team should put into this test when looking at a player?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Tavon Austin scores a 7 on his Wonderlic test

I've never taken it, but I imagine I would score pretty well.  That being said it is a stupid test imo and is imo a useless metric.  I believe Ray Lewis scored a 13 and most people would consider him one of the "smartest" linebackers in NFL history from a football perspective.  If a team wants to figure out if a guy is "football smart" they can do it in an interview where they actually ask football questions.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

lol

Tavon Austin will not be coming to NE, folks. Watch the Jets take him.

A 7?  A 7? What did Vince Young do. I forget.

He got a 6.  Very smart young man.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Also, I'd like to see his final exams and final papers at WVU.

Final exams would be revealing.  Final papers would be helpful only if he actually wrote them.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like what Morris Claiborne said last yeart concerning this test....

"They say it's an IQ test. I came to the combine for football. I looked at the test, and wasn't any questions about football. I didn't see no point in the test. I'm not in school anymore. I didn't complete it."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

The wonderlic has to be the easiest test, even for a 4th grade kid. Common sense and basic math and reading skills is all anyone needs to do well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Allegedly.

Huge talent but I guess even if the Pats were to land him he might not pick up that playbook so quickly.

Anyone ever taken a Wonderlic test?  I took one before as part of the hiring process for a securities/investment company.  Wasn't very difficult, you have to really wonder about some of these athletes and the education they are(n't) getting at college.

Trade for Mr. Britt, dude scored a 21, the ave WR score is 17. 

How much weight do you think a team should put into this test when looking at a player?

It doesn't matter what he scored. He has "talent" We don't have talent. We need him,. no matter what the cost. We should have signed Mario Williams, traded for Ladarius Webb, drafted Clay Mathews, signed Red bryant, signed Greg Jennings, signed Ed Reed, and traded Ryan mallet for Barry Sanders. It is soooo obvious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I've taken one when we started using them in our hiring process. I scored well, but I do understand how some intelligent people might not. I don't think it is a great test of football intelligence, but I can see why teams would be interested in getting as many 'intelligence' indicators as possible.

And this 'complex' playbook. Sorry, but I just don't really buy that. These guys have months to learn this and the difference between complex and simple playbooks cannot really be that big a deal. I doubt there is a playbook under 200 pages, and I doubt there is one over 500. there may be more options/reads in one system than another but this is not rocket science. There may be a few truly sub zero intelligence players, but not many. I think the ones that do not 'learn the book' are ones that do not study the book.

I don't like these leaks of test scores. I think it is a blot on the NFL that the league and the teams can't keep this stuff private.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I took half a Wonderlic test online once: 25 questions in 6 minutes. I got 21 of them right. Should have been 22

Double it, my score would have been 42, or exactly 6X what Tavon Austin scored. Hmmm

The time constraint may make some people nervous, especially those who are freaked out by taking tests in general. You have to answer four questions every minute

But the questions themselves...OMG. Not quite as simple as "What planet do you live on", but almost. And I'm not even kidding

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://www.nicholascreative.com/footballiq/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

give it a go

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

give it a go

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Exactly. It's all about the speed in processing the right answer. It's not necessarily higher knowldge or complexity.

It's not the SAT.

It's "yep, I know that one, bing, bang bong", etc.

So, really, you should just read the question and answer as many possible as fast as possible and then circle back.

It's a recognition test. 

If you're scoring a 7, you're seriously a moron in our society.

Right. Answer the simple questions first. There are plenty of them. Skip the wordy ones that may give you trouble. Get back to those if you have time later on

I am sure the players are being "coached" to do just that, so a 7 score is pretty shocking. Austin must have given up or something. Or maybe he's just dumb

Either way, red flag

I agree with Mia though. I hate that these scores are leaked. Very unfair to the kid 

Btw Claibourne, I believe, has dyslexia, which may help explain his low score

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Puh-leeze let the Jets draft this guy!  Mark Sanchize will be throwing to him all day!

The guy can't run-block a plastic bag blowing across the field.  His lack of height doesn't help him one bit at wide receiver, but maybe he'll fit at slot receiver running the in-out.  He's not the least bit durable at wide receiver.  He has no courage going over the middle and the Sanchize will surely lead him right into a 260 pound linebacker.  He has teeny tiny hands so that you can just pull the football out and run the other way with it.  And now this Wonderlic rumor?  What is Mr. Austin's shoe size?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Not surprised. Just watch how he was used in college.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Wonderlic isn't very difficult itself, but I found timing to be a bit of a difficulty (though it always has been for me).  Lots of questions to answer in so little time, as basic as the questions are...