Tavon vs Harmon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Tavon vs Harmon

How many St demons do we need? I like ebnersstory, but don't see the attraction of him playing safety. I would rather cut ebner and ask Harmon to play st.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

There is nothing special going on with Ebner, TW or Harmon. That is obvious. I know BB is trying to groom a fs/ss type who can hit and cover. I think they have grown impatient with Tavon and in fact the drafting of Harmon could be looked at as a do over to Tavon. So just because Harmon has not played a down yet, I would have to say they let him play and see what he got and Tavon is out. Why else would he be sitting out while others are getting reps. They have seen enough IMO and probably established that at the end of last year. Ebner is a BB favorite so he may make the team over Harmon if he shows nothing, but most likely the lineup is   Adrian Wilson, DMC, Gregory, Harmon

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We'll go 5 deep at that position and the younger Wilson will get axed.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

McCourty can play either safety or corner, that amounts to flexibility in the backfield.  

I have Ebner being either kicked down to the practice squad or out entirely, but they could carry one less corner because Devin or Gregory can moonlight as a corner.  

Gregory could be the odd man out if he isn't willing to take a pay cut.  I don't think BB would cut Tavon after one season in which he played up and down but all in all had a pretty solid rookie season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

If Tavon gets beat by another deep ball, that's probably three strikes and he's out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

If Tavon gets beat by another deep ball, that's probably three strikes and he's out.

Talib got beat by a deep ball on the first series by the Eagles, is he out as well?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Talib got beat by a deep ball on the first series by the Eagles, is he out as well?

That was on Gregory. Talib was in perfect position, it was a brilliant throw by Vick, and Gregory was late coming over.

Apples to oranges.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

That was on Gregory. Talib was in perfect position, it was a brilliant throw by Vick, and Gregory was late coming over.

Apples to oranges.

Bingo, no ne noticed Gregory working his way back after he got beat by the PA? That's his weakness, PA fakes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Tavon looked pretty weak today. Might not make the team at this pace...

Amen.

On a positive note, Harmon looked very comfortable, he looked physically imposing, and seemed to be in position. No late arrivals, no poor angles, and he laid the wood when he arrived.

Very excited to see what he could do next to McCourty in 3-4 years after Adrian Wilson retires.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

to young to cut yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

I still like him better than Gregory

to young to cut yet.

That's true but if he stinks it up all preseason, does that justify giving him a roster spot? Especially when Harmon provides better size, physicality, and possibly better production?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Tavon is the 7th round pick we all thought he should be.  
    What an uneccessary waste of a high 2nd round pick... and this Rudgers obsession / facination isn't working out that well either either. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

How many St demons do we need? I like ebnersstory, but don't see the attraction of him playing safety. I would rather cut ebner and ask Harmon to play st.

Personally I'd go 3 WR, DB, and one LB because those areas always need depth.

1) Slater (obvious)

2) Fletcher/Kout (less obvious)

3) Ebner/Cole/T Wilson (wide open)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Apples to oranges.

I just watched it again on DVR, then again... Talib was in man coverage and got burned.  This is preseason so it doesn't matter, but realize, corners with no pass rush in front of them, no matter how good will get burned.  This was an extension of practice with the Eagles, Jackson was abusing Talib this week, Talib's weakness is man coverage after the receiver beats the press.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Just poor position by Talib on that play, it was a correctable mistake. What concerns me is Gregory was no where to been seen to take away that seam. Gregory concerns me in in coverage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

I will admit I wasn't watching specifically for Tavon throughout the game, but he horribly missed a tackle near the line of scrimmage that resulted in a touchdown. That being the one real time I noticed his number doesn't speak well for him, but I certainly could have missed some positives or negatives in the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Apples to oranges.

Bingo! And he can't keep doing that, preseason or not. I just don't think the guy physically can do it and that's the problem...he can't run well enough to cover, it was his problem in San Diego, he didn't have range. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Let's face it, they aren't going to cut him...imagine if they did? They would be cutting the most controversial pick in the 2012 draft - that would look bad - I can't imagine Belichick letting himself look like a fool. Then again letting this kid play would be doing the same thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

I will admit I wasn't watching specifically for Tavon throughout the game, but he horribly missed a tackle near the line of scrimmage that resulted in a touchdown. That being the one real time I noticed his number doesn't speak well for him, but I certainly could have missed some positives or negatives in the game.

Tavon going to meet the Turk soon imo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I want a do over on tavon Wilson. Can we take vinny curry instead? He looked like a beast last night blowing up OLs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I did not see the game and acknowledge that up front.  I will say, however, that concluding that a a 2nd round pick should be cut after the first preseason game in his 2nd year strikes me as just an RCH extreme.  When one considers that the guy had 4 picks in his rookie year and showed some promise that year it strikes me as downright silly. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1) Slater (obvious)

Why is Slater the sacred cow of the STs? He's not depth at any position. He's a brutal WR. Is his contribution as a ST "ace" so important that we can't talk about cutting him in favor of, oh, I don't know, someone who can play real football? 

Put another way, is he THAT MUCH better than say an Aiken as a ST player, that they can't keep the better football player?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

I'll wait until the 3rd preseason game before deciding who stays and who goes.....there are so many guys injured right now the final roster could look entirely different han we think it will right now...some of the guys injured may never be on the field for these Pats in another real game...you just never know...

All I do know is that the Jets are hedious...lol!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I did not see the game and acknowledge that up front.  I will say, however, that concluding that a a 2nd round pick should be cut after the first preseason game in his 2nd year strikes me as just an RCH extreme.  When one considers that the guy had 4 picks in his rookie year and showed some promise that year it strikes me as downright silly. 

Ditto.  I saw enough from T. Wilson last year to think that he will imrove and "get it" at some point.  Enough natural talent, he can cover and can support the run.  He might have been drafted higher than he should have (endless debate there) but he needs more time given last year's glimpse of talent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

1) Slater (obvious)

Why is Slater the sacred cow of the STs? He's not depth at any position. He's a brutal WR. Is his contribution as a ST "ace" so important that we can't talk about cutting him in favor of, oh, I don't know, someone who can play real football? 

Put another way, is he THAT MUCH better than say an Aiken as a ST player, that they can't keep the better football player?

Patriots gave up only 20.5 yards per kick off return (third best in the league) and only 6.7 yards per punt return (also third best in the league).  That means their opponents' starting field position was minimized, a huge advantage for the defense.  The Pats also had no KOs or punts returned for TDs against them. 

A lot of that success is directly due to Slater because he's one of the best in the league at getting downfield fast and either tackling the returner or slowing him up long enough for others to get to him.  From Bill Belichick's perspective this is a huge contribution to the team's success and worth a roster slot even if Slater doesn't do much else. 

Sections
Shortcuts