Tavon Wilson & The Other S Competition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Tavon Wilson & The Other S Competition

I just watched the game again this morning and really thought Wilson looked solid out there. Didnt do anything special but didnt blow assignments and looked good. 

BB was pretty obvious on Thursday by evenly playing Harmon, Chung and Wilson. 

I've said before that I think Wilson makes it over Chung because of his locker room ad ST presence, but to anyone who has been to practice... How has Wilson looked? Could he legit compete for the other S spot? 

I really like Harmon but I find myself wanting Wilson to be the starter come season for some reason. 

He looked good Thursday to me. I still see him making it over Chung. 

But to anyone who has been to practice.. Is Wilson looking good and could he be a legit contender with Harmon for the starting spot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson & The Other S Competition

I agree that Wilson will probably make it over Chung. Chung is insurance and a camp invite there in case of injury.

Harmon was a film junkie at Rutgers with Logan Ryan, so I think he had a leg up so to speak for the pro game alongside McCourty. So, he just shot right past Wilson last year.

That said, I think Wilson is the better Browner back up as the big nickel so to speak. He also played some CB on the edge in college and is a good tackler for STs.

He had 4 INTs as a rookie, so it's not like he sucks and can't do anything positive.

Sounds like he was one out there in Arizona working with McCourty, Revis, etc, which is a good thing.

That is my take without seeing him practice, obviously.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just watched the game again this morning and really thought Wilson looked solid out there. Didnt do anything special but didnt blow assignments and looked good. 

I've said before that I think Wilson makes it over Chung because of his locker room ad ST presence, but to anyone who has been to practice... How has Wilson looked? Could he legit compete for the other S spot? 

I really like Harmon but I find myself wanting Wilson to be the starter come season for some reason. 

But to anyone who has been to practice.. Is Wilson looking good and could he be a legit contender with Harmon for the starting spot?

[/QUOTE]

I thought in limited snaps, Harmon was out of position and late with help, similar to last season. 

I agree, Wilson showed pretty well. I thought Chung also showed pretty well. 

I much prefer Harmon in that 3rd S role, and would like to see aching or Wilson step up. 

Kudos to the guy for sticking around, but how on earth is Ebner on this team? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Wilson barely played on the regular defense in 2013. That's not what I expected from a 2012 middle-high 2nd round pick. What's worse is the competition wasn't good. 

SS looks like a sore spot for the 2014 Pats: 

• Harmon (2013 major 3rd round reach)

• Chung (major reach near the top of the 2nd round of 2009)

• Wilson (major 2nd round reach 2012)

Holy pick your poison, Batman!

If Wilson can't find a way to get significant snaps at SS in '14, it's safe to say the initial naysayers (which were legion) at the time of his selection, were spot on.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Cuban Pete, I have no clue what you are talking about when you say Chung was a major reach in the 2nd round back in 09....?

Coming out that season he was the #1 rated SS coming out and his projected round was in the second.

yes, Harmon and Wilson were reaches, Chung was not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If Wilson can't find a way to get significant snaps at SS in '14, it's safe to say the initial naysayers (which were legion) at the time of his selection, were spot on."

This is junk. The naysayers were full of BS at the time - you don't know how draft picks are going to work out. A "reach" of a pick is acceptable if it fits into your system. 

Anyone who thinks they know how a draft will work out can get on the short bus with Mel Kiper. 

The exception to this is this year's 2nd round pick - where you can object, rightfully, if you believe the Pats should have been "all in" on restocking the team for a Super Bowl run, meaning don't draft a QB at that spot. But in that case it's not the player but the position itself, which is fair to question. 

Even then, you can be totally wrong, time will tell. 

I'm not wild about the final safety spot options but they are not terrible either. And there is still a chance Wilson will emerge. 

There's way more depth at this position than tight end...(though I guess we signed some TE scrubs this eve)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Tavon Wilson will be our starter week 1..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought in limited snaps, Harmon was out of position and late with help, similar to last season. 

I agree, Wilson showed pretty well. I thought Chung also showed pretty well. 

I much prefer Harmon in that 3rd S role, and would like to see aching or Wilson step up. 

Kudos to the guy for sticking around, but how on earth is Ebner on this team? 

[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. I also have questions on ebner. The way I see if it comes down to deciding on a dback with St value, sign me up for butler. I would much rather have him in the secondary than ebner, and he plays decent st as well. 

I personally would like to see more cbs kept at the expense of the safety position. Mccourty, Wilson, Harmon at safety and load up on corner with revis, browner, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan,butler. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

"Tavon Wilson will be our starter week 1.."

Im hoping the collective talent of the secondary can mask the lack of talent at the SS position. If we are talking about T.Wilson winning the job..I dont think the competition was that good. I mean we are talking about 3 guys w/names you can pull from a hat and it wouldnt matter cuz they are ALL very mediocre.

Now THIS is a bit concerning more than a 3rd TE to me, mainly because its the Starting SS and we have had so many issues finding one in the past. All of a sudden, Chung and Wilson will stop making mistakes on the field?? If anyone, I want to see Harmon as he has committed the least amount of mistakes of the 3, even if its due to minimal snaps.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The exception to this is this year's 2nd round pick - where you can object, rightfully, if you believe the Pats should have been "all in" on restocking the team for a Super Bowl run, meaning don't draft a QB at that spot. But in that case it's not the player but the position itself, which is fair to question. 

[/QUOTE]

According to what I have read, the QB prospects in the next two years are rather poor.  That means that IF we were in a position to pick a good one in 2017, then we would definitely need Brady to be here for five years to give that new guy a chance to learn for a couple of years.  This way, at least, it is only essential that Brady be here for at least two years.  Frankly, I think he will be here for five or more years, but I see the VERY sound logic of picking his potential replacement now.

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

"Chung is insurance and a camp invite there in case of injury".

As it should be. It was wise of BB to invite Chung to reacquaint him with our defense and vice versa; if/when we need him later in the year, he can step in.