Tavon Wilson is a Player!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

Tavon Wilson is a Player!

I played division 1 college football (inside backer)....

I just watched film on Wilson for the 1st time. This guy is a player. He's always around the ball and can play the run or pass and blitz. He has excellent on field speed.

He's tough, hard nosed and will be a safety in this league for a long time imo. I can see his football intelligence by the way he plays.

He's a BB type of player.....I'm pumped to see him play along side chung...

This is going to be a very special defense...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson is a Player!

In Response to Tavon Wilson is a Player!:
    [QUOTE]I played division 1 college football (inside backer).... I just watched film on Wilson for the 1st time. This guy is a player. He's always around the ball and can play the run or pass and blitz. He has excellent on field speed. He's tough, hard nosed and will be a safety in this league for a long time imo. I can see his football intelligence by the way he plays. He's a BB type of player.....I'm pumped to see him play along side chung... This is going to be a very special defense...
    Posted by floridamike[/QUOTE]

Hope you're right. We'll soon see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

Watch this video of him vs. ASU.... you will see what i mean...

Patriots CB-S No. 3 Tavon Wilson vs ASU 2011 - YouTube

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm not all that impressed looking at that game.  A lot of missed tackles.  He was certainly has a nose for the football though, good job reading the screen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Now compare the Tavon Wilson tape to this of Brandon Taylor who all the draftniks thought should have gone third among safeties.  One or two nice plays, but a heck of a lot of ugly looking whiffs . . . 

I like Wilson much better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson is a Player!:
    [QUOTE]Watch this video of him vs. ASU.... you will see what i mean... Patriots CB-S No. 3 Tavon Wilson vs ASU 2011 - YouTube

Wilson hustles, appears to do a decent job as a "gunner" on punt teams, and appears to be good at coming up to assist against the run. Also showed that he might have potential as a blitzer. But, I wasn't impressed with his pass coverage.

Here are Wilson's "key" stats, and a general scouting report on him:  

Key Stats

The 6-foot, 203-pounder had 81 tackles, one interception, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, six pass defenses, one sack and 6.5 tackles for loss in 2011.

Scouting Report

Wilson is a strong tackler who can play in the box, but he struggles in coverage. He's got good speed and strength, and he should be an asset on special teams. Wilson has been a Big Ten Honorable Mention twice, but he was not invited to the combine. He's got experience at cornerback and took over for current Dolphins corner Vontae Davis after he departed for the NFL.

Wilson was a captain last year, and he comes across as a good leader. After playing safety as a junior, the coaches asked him where he wanted to play as a senior. *Wilson chose CB because he thought it was in the team's beat interest due to the fact that they had better players at safety.

I found that last sentence above to be very illuminating. This kid put the team before himself...and might have made a name for himself, had he stayed at safety last season.

His Illinois team had a weird year in 2011. After winning their first six (6) games, they lost their next six (6), before ending their season with a win over UCLA...in a low rent bowl game. They also finished just 2-6 in their own conference (Big 10):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Illinois_Fighting_Illini_football_team

Interesting Illini defensive stats, in that they were 3rd in the nation in pass defense, and 25th in run defense. They surrendered less than 20 points per game (15th overall). Yet, their offense was 91st in passing, 41st in rushing, and 91st in points scored (a tad over 21 points per game):  http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/team/illinois-fighting-illini-football/stats/86057?q=illinois-fighting-illini-football   

Wish I could have found more stats dealing with tackles made per game, and passing stats listing how many times a DB was targeted by the opposition.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I played division 1 college football (inside backer).... I just watched film on Wilson for the 1st time. This guy is a player. He's always around the ball and can play the run or pass and blitz. He has excellent on field speed. He's tough, hard nosed and will be a safety in this league for a long time imo. I can see his football intelligence by the way he plays. He's a BB type of player.....I'm pumped to see him play along side chung... This is going to be a very special defense...

I saw video of him getting burned on a route by a guy BB drafted - Jeremy Ebert

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Even the best DB's have been burned once in their career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

love the versatility

all three safeties (Chung, Gregory, and Wilson) can step into the box, cover as a slot corner, and play the deep half

Combine that with the return of the 'Backerhood (Mayo, Spikes, Ninkovich, Hightower, Jones, Scott, and possibly Bequette) and sub-defense is going to be fun to watch this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Most stats don't really tell you much about DB's. I wish somebody did one of those defensive passer rating stats for him. I remember McCourty's stats were nothing overly impressive but he had the best or one of the best defensive ratings for a CB with QB's having something like a 40 passer rating when throwing to him in college. Showing that QBs didn't throw his way much, and when they did it wasn't very effective. The fact that I can find a YouTube video of him making a good play or a bad one doesn't tell me much, I can do that for anybody.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

at what level did you play football is any on this thread? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

At what level did any of you play football on this thread? 

Seems by the comments it's very low level i.e high schoo if that...

My guess is most of you have never actually played......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]At what level did any of you play football on this thread?  Seems by the comments it's very low level i.e high schoo if that... My guess is most of you have never actually played......

Mike the fact that you played D1 football does not mean your any better at evaluating talent than anyone else. Dont try to be so arrogant. Where did you play at?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I've been knocking folks on this forum who have decided the Tavon Wilson pick was wildrly premature (despite the fact they have no idea if other teams were set to pick him or not). 

But I've also got to take issue with those who claim he is a player. Game tape only shows so much, because it can't predict work ethic, it can't predict improvements, it can't predict injuries, and it can't predict a winning mentality. 

I will say I'jm rooting for Tavon to work out, though the argument will never be resolved because even then the draft knowitalls will proclaim he still could have been obtained later in the draft, because windbag Mel Kiper - whose was beaten by Felger's random picks - said so. 

We'll never know the truth of that, so it's pointless for people on either side of this debate to say anything. Though I suppose in this forum I am howling into the wind. Fine, let the "debate" continue. :) Just know it will never be settled no matter how well he plays. 

The only thing we do know is the BB focused on the defensive side of the ball this year instead of drafting running backs and tight ends and that seems like it should bode well for the season. Especially since BB seems to have admitted that he needs to focus more on speed and QB disruption and less on beefy linemen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I appreciate the varying perspectives on Wilson - no matter who offers them.  I've played the game (no, not Div 1 by any means) but simply because I played it doesn't mean I know any more than anyone else about talent evaluation.  One of the best talent evaluators in the game, BB, never played in college or the pros.

My take on Wilson is this:  BB picked him in the 2nd round for a reason, let's wait and see how the kid does before we label him as a bust or anoint him with a Canton nomination.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon Wilson is a Player!": [QUOTE]at what level did you play football is any on this thread?  Posted by floridamike[/QUOTE] I played a bit of Div 1 at QB but my college coach kept trying to replace me. I pretty much bombed at the combine but still got drafted late and made the roster as a 4th QB. When the franchise QB went down I got my shot. It was close, but after a fumble-like play was called a forward pass I got my big chance to bang supermodels.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Tavon Wilson is a Player!": I played a bit of Div 1 at QB but my college coach kept trying to replace me. I pretty much bombed at the combine but still got drafted late and made the roster as a 4th QB. When the franchise QB went down I got my shot. It was close, but after a fumble-like play was called a forward pass I got my big chance to bang supermodels.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! Let's not forget your fondness for hugging goats and you are often bashed on these boards by Rusty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I actually prefer the opinions of people that have never played to be honest with you. Former players look at things differently - they tend to root for things and believe things are attainable when they may not be (it's instilled in athletes from the moment they start sports...it's a good thing). 

The truth is the film doesn't lie. It's just a matter of what do you see when you are watching it - BB saw something he really likes in this player. I see a guy that looks too small (despite his listed size). I see a guy that looks like these smaller types we've drafted recently that haven't worked out...Merriweather, Hobbs, Whilite, Wheatly. BB I'm sure knows more than me and everyone else on here - so I imagine this is the type of player he coverts for today's passing league, it's just that the guys listed above didn't work out and with any luck Wilson will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think anyone who's played any sport knows that you learn a lot of the subtleties of a sport by playing it.  So I think those who played football at a high level have a big advantage in understanding the game, especially if they were smart players.  That said, there are some athletes who are dumb as rocks and seem to play the game without ever really getting to understand it deeply and therefore aren't able to offer much insight and could never coach it successfully.  Bill Belichick probably knows football as well as anyone in the world and while he played a bit, I suspect his knowledge comes more from careful film study and observation of the game than from actually playing the game himself.  So I guess I'd agree with floridamike that it helps (and helps a lot) to have played the game, but I also think you can make up for lack of playing experience by watching and studying carefully.  The best of all worlds would be to do everything--play, coach, watch, and study--but if you do any one of those well and thoughtfully, I think you can have something of value to offer in these kinds of discussions. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Wilson was picked at #48 because San Diego was poised to take him at 49.  As you'll note, SD took S Brandon Taylor when they came back up in the 3rd round.  According to Mike Mayock, Wilson was a late and fast riser just prior to the draft. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Can you name a specific example of an adjustment that Wilson made?

Or an example of when he made a smart situational decision?

Can you remember a specific play that he showed good technique?

You expect us to take you at your word.  I didn't play to the level you did, but I notice as many of these types of plays as anyone, whether it was noticing that white 49ers DE's motor in the rolling blackout game against Pittsburgh, or Ochocinco's superb footwork on the out route against the Redskins, or Mayo dragging Ahmad Bradshaw into the end zone during the Super Bowl, or Brian Waters quietly having a better year than Mankins last year winning more blocks and giving up less sacks and TFLs, et al

I hope Tavon Wilson is a player, but I think his biggest role is going to be using his size and experience at corner to cover all those pass-catching tight ends that have become so key to every major contender (almost every playoff team last year had one)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Saw the video and saw good things and some head scratcher, the one that stands out the most TE running from the slot position not 10 yards into the route Wilson has already turned his hips and when he sees the TE start to cut into the middle of the field Wilson give the TE his back and doesn't see the catch behind him, that's not good at all.

Overall the kid's intangibles put him over top for me.  He has good speed, a lot of experience and comes in to work.  With coaching the negatives turn into positives if you have a player who's willing to learn, Tevon appears to be a very humble kid who loves playing football and will want to learn how to improve with every snap.

Where he was drafted, we don't know what other teams were planning and the fact is there were a number of teams who worked him out.  FS was a position of need, BB got a kid with scheme versatility (CB, SS, FS, STs) wants to be coached and according to reports good football IQ the only thing he's missing Mel Kipper's approval,  well I personally don't like Kipper and could care less about his opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Tavon Wilson is a Player! : love the versatility all three safeties (Chung, Gregory, and Wilson) can step into the box, cover as a slot corner, and play the deep half Combine that with the return of the 'Backerhood (Mayo, Spikes, Ninkovich, Hightower, Jones, Scott, and possibly Bequette) and sub-defense is going to be fun to watch this year
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Sorry...but I didn't see any evidence in that video showing that Wilson could cover. Please eloborate as to what you saw that convinced you that he can. He appeared to be beaten on just about every pass play thrown in his direction...especially on plays involving the TE or slot receiver.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Hey, I may not have played at Division 1, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.