Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report

After watching film on Tavon Wilson, it's clear to me why BB/NC were interested in this kid, he has a lot of what they value in a player:

*Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc.  Good football intelligence (was able to learn/execute multiple positions/assignments).

*Active, fluid, aware, good read react and always seems to be around the football.  Balls skills are average.

*Plays hard and always seems to give max effort, will not quit in pursuit.

*Not a pure banger, but is not afraid to come up in run support and gets downhill quickly, though prob an average tackler. Generally takes good angles.

*Has experience covering TE/RB, which is what he's likely to do at the NFL level, though he can also match up against slot WR's. Doesn't back down from size.

*Looks like a solid fit for NE's predominantly zone scheme, which will help offset his lack of elite straight-lined/recovery speed.

*4 down potential as he'll likely play on most/all ST units.

I don't think he has any huge holes to his game, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well either (won't make a ton of wow plays)... kid's a "football player".  I also don't think he looks like a 6/7 rounder (kid can play)... prob more of a solid mid round player (Rd 3/4), though in this S class, his value increased and BB likely felt that other teams viewed him similarly... especially considering he didn't trade down with that pick.

Bottom line:  If you pull a consistent starter out of Rd 2 (star potential or not), you did well and I think this kid has that potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report

Thanks for that info mb,

I trust that this kid will be a good player, esp on special teams, and that Bill wouldn't miss on him completely (meaning he's a camp cut or never sees the field year 1) to take him so much higher than anyone expected.

A lot of his misses in the past were on guys who FELL to him and so we all got extra excited (Butler and Tate come to mind) while he hit on Vollmer (as long as Bassy can stay healthy for a whole season ONE TIME) who was taken a few rounds higher than expected.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It just remains an incredibly bad move value wise

Even if the kid was moving up people's boards and being brought in for visits that does nothing but make him a 5th-6th rd pick instead of a 7th rd-UFA guy. He was nowhere close to being gone by even the Bequette pick.

It just seemed like it woulda been so easy to trade 48 for a 3rd/4th and take Wilson with one of those picks while adding an additional player in the 70-120 range.

Considering we have Jones, Scott, Cunningham and the option of bringing Carter back, it would seem like we'd need some interior beef over another edge player.

Any combination of staying at 48 (Reyes, Still, Worthy) or 62 (Thompson, Martin) and adding Wilson in rd 3 or 4, while still leapfrogging ANYONE who would have taken him, would have been a far better value move.

Ta'amu, Daniels and Chapman were there even later if they wanted to trade down more into rd 4...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Yes and good things were said about Butler, Wheatly, Meriweather, and on and on.  This guy was the 48th pick in the 2nd round.  At that pick he better be more then a special teams player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]It just remains an incredibly bad move value wise Even if the kid was moving up people's boards and being brought in for visits that does nothing but make him a 5th-6th rd pick instead of a 7th rd-UFA guy. He was nowhere close to being gone by even the Bequette pick. It just seemed like it woulda been so easy to trade 48 for a 3rd/4th and take Wilson with one of those picks while adding an additional player in the 70-120 range. Considering we have Jones, Scott, Cunningham and the option of bringing Carter back, it would seem like we'd need some interior beef over another edge player. Any combination of staying at 48 (Reyes, Still, Worthy) or 62 (Thompson, Martin) and adding Wilson in rd 3 or 4, while still leapfrogging ANYONE who would have taken him, would have been a far better value move. Ta'amu, Daniels and Chapman were there even later if they wanted to trade down more into rd 4...
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

The problem is, we don't know this as fact (believe I read that SD also had a Rd 2 grade on him and was selecting 49th).

We can't assume the same guy that read the Rd 1 action and felt it necessary to move up for Jones/Hightower then had no idea what he was doing in Rd 2, pick 48, etc.

Hey, I too was hoping for Reyes/Josh Robinson, but they clearly identified this kid as the one they wanted, so that should count for something.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I Really like Tavon, if BB has confidence enought to select him with a pretty high pick in the second round then ive got to believe he has some intangibles that a worthy of that pick. If Any of you are interest i found this video of Trevor Scott killin it in the workout room getting ready to be a beast this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7AU3ABYPw&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Yes and good things were said about Butler, Wheatly, Meriweather, and on and on.  This guy was the 48th pick in the 2nd round.  At that pick he better be more then a special teams player.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

This is the general response, but Wilson is not Butler, Wheatley or Meriweather (who as much as i didn't like him, wasn't a complete bust) so I don't see how any of the 3 are relevant (teams miss on players every season).  This kid will have to be evaluated/graded based on his own performance and can't be compared to other misses until it's justified.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]It just remains an incredibly bad move value wise Even if the kid was moving up people's boards and being brought in for visits that does nothing but make him a 5th-6th rd pick instead of a 7th rd-UFA guy. He was nowhere close to being gone by even the Bequette pick. It just seemed like it woulda been so easy to trade 48 for a 3rd/4th and take Wilson with one of those picks while adding an additional player in the 70-120 range. Considering we have Jones, Scott, Cunningham and the option of bringing Carter back, it would seem like we'd need some interior beef over another edge player. Any combination of staying at 48 (Reyes, Still, Worthy) or 62 (Thompson, Martin) and adding Wilson in rd 3 or 4, while still leapfrogging ANYONE who would have taken him, would have been a far better value move. Ta'amu, Daniels and Chapman were there even later if they wanted to trade down more into rd 4...
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Although you are entitled to you're opinion, how about we let the guys with probably 100 years of experience and get paid to make informed evaluations of personnel  and have proven to be pretty darn good at it, decide what the kids worth might be?
    Truth is, no player has any worth until given adequate time to prove it or not.
    Just sayin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : The problem is, we don't know this as fact (believe I read that SD also had a Rd 2 grade on him and was selecting 49th). We can't assume the same guy that read the Rd 1 action and felt it necessary to move up for Jones/Hightower then had no idea what he was doing in Rd 2, pick 48, etc. Hey, I too was hoping for Reyes/Josh Robinson, but they clearly identified this kid as the one they wanted, so that should count for something.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Well yeah I guess

I wish Bill would 100% come out and say that he knew the kid wouldn't be there, even at 62, b/c NOBODY in his fan base or the media currently feels this way

but he doesn't care about the perception of others, he'll do w/e he feels the right move is without having to justify it to the 'little people' so we will never really know for sure... and that one bit of info could make or break the success of this draft in my opinion... if he'd have been gone by _____ pick or not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He sounds like he's a whole lot like Steve Gregory. I personally didn't like the pick for value sake - it seemed as if we left a lot of players on the board at that spot. If he turns out to be a back up and special teams ace...personally I don't think that's good enough at that spot in the second round. I'm hoping he'll be an immediate contributer (and he by all rights should be at that spot).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]After watching film on Tavon Wilson, it's clear to me why BB/NC were interested in this kid, he has a lot of what they value in a player: *Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc.  Good football intelligence (was able to learn/execute multiple positions/assignments). *Active, fluid, aware, good read react and always seems to be around the football.  Balls skills are average. *Plays hard and always seems to give max effort, will not quit in pursuit. *Not a pure banger, but is not afraid to come up in run support and gets downhill quickly, though prob an average tackler. Generally takes good angles. *Has experience covering TE/RB, which is what he's likely to do at the NFL level, though he can also match up against slot WR's. Doesn't back down from size. *Looks like a solid fit for NE's predominantly zone scheme, which will help offset his lack of elite straight-lined/recovery speed. *4 down potential as he'll likely play on most/all ST units. I don't think he has any huge holes to his game, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well either (won't make a ton of wow plays)... kid's a "football player".  I also don't think he looks like a 6/7 rounder (kid can play)... prob more of a solid mid round player (Rd 3/4), though in this S class, his value increased and BB likely felt that other teams viewed him similarly... especially considering he didn't trade down with that pick. Bottom line:  If you pull a consistent starter out of Rd 2 (star potential or not), you did well and I think this kid has that potential.

Except for a guy who contnuously looks for "value" in his draft picks, Wilson was anything but value taken at 48.

I hope he turns out to be worthy of the 48 pick, becuz we left our center for the next 10 years on the table (which was a value pick at that time and a position of need).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : Except for a guy who contnuously looks for "value" in his draft picks, Wilson was anything but value taken at 48. I hope he turns out to be worthy of the 48 pick, becuz we left our center for the next 10 years on the table (which was a value pick at that time and a position of need).
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

None of us really know if there was value in the pick or not, we have no insight as to what any of the other teams really though about the player, though there were rumors that SD (picking at #49) also had a Rd 2 grade on him, as well as a need at S.  It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but we won't know the true value of the player for another 2-3 years.

Put on the tape, form your own opinion vs. reading what everyone, including me, writes about the kid, that's what I decided to do.

OC wasn't a real position of need, they just resigned Connolly and Koppen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report": [QUOTE]After watching film on Tavon Wilson, it's clear to me why BB/NC were interested in this kid, he has a lot of what they value in a player: *Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc.  Good football intelligence (was able to learn/execute multiple positions/assignments). *Active, fluid, aware, good read react and always seems to be around the football.  Balls skills are average. *Plays hard and always seems to give max effort, will not quit in pursuit. *Not a pure banger, but is not afraid to come up in run support and gets downhill quickly, though prob an average tackler. Generally takes good angles. *Has experience covering TE/RB, which is what he's likely to do at the NFL level, though he can also match up against slot WR's. Doesn't back down from size. *Looks like a solid fit for NE's predominantly zone scheme, which will help offset his lack of elite straight-lined/recovery speed. *4 down potential as he'll likely play on most/all ST units. I don't think he has any huge holes to his game, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well either (won't make a ton of wow plays)... kid's a "football player".  I also don't think he looks like a 6/7 rounder (kid can play)... prob more of a solid mid round player (Rd 3/4), though in this S class, his value increased and BB likely felt that other teams viewed him similarly... especially considering he didn't trade down with that pick. Bottom line:  If you pull a consistent starter out of Rd 2 (star potential or not), you did well and I think this kid has that potential. Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Have you ever seen him play in person and where did you get game tape of the player?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well there's a lot of stuff out there on him now (some kid is doing a real good job putting out videos). Personally I was not impressed and really I think the kid from Nebraska looks like the better prospect. To me he looks small - I mean real small/narrow/weak. He goes in on a blitz and he'll get blocked if it's not a free run. I honestly can't see this guy covering an NFL tight end...I don't know how he possibly could match up. He made several mistakes in coverage on the games I watched and over ran the punt returner several times. In the run game I think he will be a non factor. I really can't see him playing safety...so perhaps corner?

I don't know if I just don't know what I'm looking at, because I usually agree with mbealieu07 and obviously Belichick might know a little more than me when scouting defensive backs - but man he looks like a poor version of Ellis Hobbs to me. Ouch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A bunch of factors:

Bill Belichick's defensive scheme makes the entire defense, and the defensive backfield in particular, look bad compared to other NFL teams.  Belichick's D plays for keeps in the 10 yards just before field goal range, and in the red zone.  They should be measured against other teams for what they do at these junctures, and when BB isn't playing prevent in the fourth quarter.  The D plays an entirely different game on the opponent's side of the field, where they want to take away the run, take away the long bomb if possible, try to get a pick-six out of the QB, and smack the quarterback around when possible.  That game plan says very little about giving up 10 yards at a time through short passes, which is what the D does all day.  So, I don't think that Butler, Meriweather and the whole crew were utterly terrible, just not particularly great.  Tavon Wilson will equally be judged by the fans for all of the short passes he gives up when the score is 35-7 Patriots, but BB is pulling the strings once again.  You can't argue too much with 13-3, or with any of the season records over the last 11 years.

Next, BB is the master of draft picks from Mars.  Vollmer is the classic example. Mankins.  Who?  He gets a break.  If it was the Buffalo Bills GM, famous for strange picks that never work out, I'd worry.

One reason to worry is that the Patriots organization has weak and strong draft tendencies.  They have gotten their tight end drafting straightened out just fine, but they really can't pick good defensive backs.  They used to pick a lot of runts, who always got injured early because they were so small.  At least Tavon Wilson has some meat on him, some height and he's healthy so far. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Except for a guy who contnuously looks for "value" in his draft picks, Wilson was anything but value taken at 48. I hope he turns out to be worthy of the 48 pick, becuz we left our center for the next 10 years on the table (which was a value pick at that time and a position of need).
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]
    The majority of 1st rounders won't be 10 year starters. What makes you think a 2nd rounder will be one?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The only film study I did on him was the highlight reel someone posted on Ebert. And from that extremely limited view, we either got an absolute steal on our last pick of the draft, or we blew our 2nd rounder.
    TD 1 Ebert has about two yards on him on a corner fade
    TD 2 Ebert has about 5 yards separation on a 50yd post and pulls away
    TD 3 Ebert fakes him out of his shorts and has at least ten yards on a ten yard out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : The majority of 1st rounders won't be 10 year starters. What makes you think a 2nd rounder will be one?
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    I agree with digger on this and I will take it one step further.  Who's to say if anyone in the first round is going to live up to their "value"?  Have we not seen over the years our share of flops from early draft picks and over achievers from late round picks, causing their "value" to be much different then what everyone had anticipated?  There's no sure things guys, each team drafts players according to their plan going into the draft.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]The only film study I did on him was the highlight reel someone posted on Ebert. And from that extremely limited view, we either got an absolute steal on our last pick of the draft, or we blew our 2nd rounder. TD 1 Ebert has about two yards on him on a corner fade TD 2 Ebert has about 5 yards separation on a 50yd post and pulls away TD 3 Ebert fakes him out of his shorts and has at least ten yards on a ten yard out.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

wow ... Id love to see this vid..Any Link ?

( on second thought ...maybe I dont want to see it )

MB ...

Out of curiousity .
    If BB allowed you to make the pick at #48 , who would you have selected ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]After watching film on Tavon Wilson, it's clear to me why BB/NC were interested in this kid, he has a lot of what they value in a player: *Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc.  Good football intelligence (was able to learn/execute multiple positions/assignments). *Active, fluid, aware, good read react and always seems to be around the football.  Balls skills are average. *Plays hard and always seems to give max effort, will not quit in pursuit. *Not a pure banger, but is not afraid to come up in run support and gets downhill quickly, though prob an average tackler. Generally takes good angles. *Has experience covering TE/RB, which is what he's likely to do at the NFL level, though he can also match up against slot WR's. Doesn't back down from size. *Looks like a solid fit for NE's predominantly zone scheme, which will help offset his lack of elite straight-lined/recovery speed. *4 down potential as he'll likely play on most/all ST units. I don't think he has any huge holes to his game, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well either (won't make a ton of wow plays)... kid's a "football player".  I also don't think he looks like a 6/7 rounder (kid can play)... prob more of a solid mid round player (Rd 3/4), though in this S class, his value increased and BB likely felt that other teams viewed him similarly... especially considering he didn't trade down with that pick. Bottom line:  If you pull a consistent starter out of Rd 2 (star potential or not), you did well and I think this kid has that potential.

Great info thanks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

If you want to check him out, you can google "Tavon Wilson vs" and a couple of his game will pop up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : wow ... Id love to see this vid..Any Link ? ( on second thought ...maybe I dont want to see it ) MB ... Out of curiousity . If BB allowed you to make the pick at #48 , who would you have selected ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Good question, I was hoping to land Kendall Reyes to beef up the DL... he went 49th overall to SD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Chandler Jones was projected to go in the early 2nd round yet BB moved up in the first to get him.  Where's the outrage there?  What was he thinking?

The thing about this whole Wilson mess is that we go by different boards than the Pats do.  They have spent more time and money evaluating this guy and had him high on their board.  He wasn't a 6th or 7th rounder on their board.  He was a 2nd rounder.  The talent they passed up around this guy tells you what they think of him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Chandler Jones was projected to go in the early 2nd round yet BB moved up in the first to get him.  Where's the outrage there?  What was he thinking? The thing about this whole Wilson mess is that we go by different boards than the Pats do.  They have spent more time and money evaluating this guy and had him high on their board.  He wasn't a 6th or 7th rounder on their board.  He was a 2nd rounder.  The talent they passed up around this guy tells you what they think of him.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I have to agree.  There's a lot of investment in Foxboro when it comes to draft preparation.  If BB reached for this guy then he had his reasons and, truth be told, we'll never know for certain what they were.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

I'm always amused that most of the people on these blogs know more about talent than does BB and his staff. How come you are NOT employed in the NFL?Wink

***5 superbowls in 10 years***