Tavon Wilson: Redux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Tavon Wilson: Redux

Not long until we kick of the 2013 Draft Thread!  Until then...

BB seems very high on this kid and has given a little insight (quotes below) into why he drafted him with such a lofty pick.  From what I've read, he's had some burn with the 1's, which is a good early sign, though we'll know more in the coming weeks... I personally can't wait to see this kid in action starting 8/9, when we should get our first live look at him.

Courtesy of Amalie Benjamin/Boston.com

"I think he’s been on a steady course since he got here," Belichick said. "Tavon works hard. He’s very attentive, he asks good questions, he really pays attention and he’s a hard working kid, both on and off the field.

"Steady improvement, long way to go, tough position to play and a tough position to transition into because of all the different things in the passing game and formations and matchups, all those type of things that veteran safeties would recognize – where the advantage of the matchup is to the offense and what we can do about it schematically or what we can do about it in terms of anticipation by formation and so forth.

"I think he’s coming along. As long as we can keep making progress and keep heading in the right direction, I think eventually it will come together for a lot of these young guys.''

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson: Redux

Questionable pick, but has been garnering positive reviews thus far...

Fingers crossed and being hopeful with him moving forward

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree this is good news, though a few here would have us believe BB cares so much of others opinions that he is talking up Wilson to save face!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: Redux:
    I agree this is good news, though a few here would have us believe BB cares so much of others opinions that he is talking up Wilson to save face!
    Posted by TrueChamp

Or maybe he took Wilson to frustrate the wannabe draftnik's??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

BB took Wilson so that Kiper's head (and by extension his hair) would explode. Gotta be honest haven't seen the guy play. Only thing I read was that he had a great pro day. Maybe BB had him in for a private workout? And there is always the possibility that Belichick knows way more than us. Nice to have you back MB.

D Line and O Line are my dark horse picks in 2013. WR in the 3rd.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

And then I remember things could be worse......much worse....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Cut & Paste to browser....High Comedy I Assure You

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BB took Wilson so that Kiper's head (and by extension his hair) would explode. Gotta be honest haven't seen the guy play. Only thing I read was that he had a great pro day. Maybe BB had him in for a private workout? And there is always the possibility that Belichick knows way more than us. Nice to have you back MB. D Line and O Line are my dark horse picks in 2013. WR in the 3rd.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Thanks, man... my early projection (unchanged since my post-2012 projection) for the 2013 draft is Alabama DT, Jesse Williams (6-3 320)... big Aussie, moves well, extremely strong in the upper body, strong at the POA... shows some athleticism and can prob play 34 NT or 43 DT.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

And here we go Fluker or Jones. As a guard Jones looks like a total road grader. This micro mock assumes Faulk and Jake Mathews are gone. Again I could see Jones being the highest OG drafted. Maybe go to the Cheesehead O Line Pipe line at Wisconsin....Frederick OG and Wagner at OT. I'd love to get Jones. Every time Hightower lines up against him Kraft can play "Reunited" By Peaches and Herb and watch the viloence ensue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

And here we go Fluker or Jones. As a guard Jones looks like a total road grader. This micro mock assumes Faulk and Jake Mathews are gone. Again I could see Jones being the highest OG drafted. Maybe go to the Cheesehead O Line Pipe line at Wisconsin....Frederick OG and Wagner at OT. I'd love to get Jones. Every time Hightower lines up against him Kraft can play "Reunited" By Peaches and Herb and watch the viloence ensue.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Referring to Barrett Jones?  Kid was a stud at LT (won the Outland Trophy in 2011), gonna move inside to play C this season I believe... is on the Rimington watch list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Realistically the Pats won`t have a shot at Jones. Too bad really.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: Redux : Referring to Barrett Jones?  Kid was a stud at LT (won the Outland Trophy in 2011), gonna move inside to play C this season I believe... is on the Rimington Watchlist.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I see the Pats re-stocking their OL, in the upcoming draft. Barrett Jones could be targeted. The Pats will need to upgrade at center, RG, and, depending on how Sebastien Vollmer's back holds up, RT. Jones seems to have the versatility that BB covets in his lumberjacks up front.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Realistically the Pats won`t have a shot at Jones. Too bad really.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Don't know about that. Look at how stud OG David DeCastro dropped this year, as well as OTs Reilly Reiff, and Cordy Glenn. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Posted by TrueChamp

I hope your not misinterpreting what I said on the other thread.  I was not implying BB was trying to save face about anything.  I was simply replying to the "He doesn't care what others think"

This Guy doesn't care what others think

This guy does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If Jones is a stud LT there is no way he lasts until pick #32.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: Redux : I hope your not misinterpreting what I said on the other thread.  I was not implying BB was trying to save face about anything.  I was simply replying to the "He doesn't care what others think" This Guy doesn't care what others think This guy does.
    Posted by tcal2-

Wow, Sling Blade!! For some reason I don't think Billy Bob cared what people thought of him either.

Anyway, I think I see what you are saying, bit it seemed like you were making it out that BB was talking up Wilson to protect the view of his decision to draft him that high, and in that regard no I don't think BB cares about that. I can see easing Wilson's psyche with a few choice words, but even then I don't think BB would coddle any player. I really don't, just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I went looking and watched the 3 videos I could find on Wilson.

Two things I noticed:

1) As mentioned, even on his 'highlight' reel, he seems to have some bad plays. Near misses, almost theres and such. Fair enough. But...

2) Very few teammates on the defense seem to have any of those. I mean, seriously, he looks like the only guy who knows what he's doing on some plays.

Those two things together lead me to wonder if he looked worse playing on a very bad team (5-7 record overall, 1-6 in the Big East).

Factor in all the good reviews I've been reading, and how he lined up at LB and looked decent on Gronk.

If there were no "experts" and mock drafts and Top 5 billion rankings...I wonder what people would think just looking at the evidence. I think the pick would have made a lot more sense to people had 99% of the public not gone ape sh!t over it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

How bout the kid plays ONE snap first?

If there is one thing we know about BB is that he LOVES versaitlity and football iq. This kid has that.  Those 2 traits are not valued as much as a players 40 yard dash etc. by the mel kipers of the world. 

We needed help at safety and it was  a very weak draft for safety's other than Barron, so there is probably not much difference in talent between the fifth or tenth ranked safety anyway. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

If Jones is a stud LT there is no way he lasts until pick #32.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

If the Pats get to own pick #32, who cares!! LOL!!!

Sections
Shortcuts