Taylor Mays Combine 40

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Taylor Mays Combine 40

4.42 or 4.43 official.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Mays is one of those guys who is a freak athlete but doesn't play that way on the football field.  A perfect Oakland Raider if you ask me.  I don't want him anywhere near Foxboro.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Taylor Mays Combine 40:
    At 6'3" 230 ran a reported 4.24.  Freakish athlete, hits like a truck.  Mays had slipped to 2nd round in most mock drafts.  Might be worth a long peek at 22 despite S being a position of depth.  Across the NFL teams are running Nickel 60% of the time.  This would be the ultimate Big Nickel Guy if he's smart and fluid.
    Posted by BSII

probably a workout warrier like vernon ghoulston a couple of years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevindavis. Show kevindavis's posts

Correction.  4.43 Official.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Saw that official time 4.43, he was still the fastest DB.  I don't think the kid is a stiff or workout warrior.  When USC had talent around him in 2008 he was a dominant player.  They lost half the defense in the 09 draft and he got exposed a bit.  Probably a reach as mentioned Pats drafted Chung and Meriweather in recent years but that is an impressive size/speed ration.  I like the Big Nickel idea with a young, fast bone crunching safety to punish Dallas Clark.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

I ALSO THOUGHT HE WOULD BE A FIT HERE BUT WITH ALL THE RECENT NEG, NO MORE. EXCEPT, I STRONGLY DISAGREE THAT PATS ARE DEEP AT SAFETY. MERIWEATHER, AT TIMES DAY DREAMS AND MISSES ASSIGNMENTS , SO OVERALL NEVER GOING TO BE  DOMINANT AT THE POSITION. CHUNG, APPEARS MORE INTERESTED IN THE LOCAL TATOO PARLORS, AND ONFIELD CELEBRATING, WHILE NOT SHOWING MUCH AS A BACKUP, AFTER BEING DRAFTED SO HIGH.  SO PATRIOTS STILL NEEDY AT SAFETY,  AS I HAVE ALREADY HAVE BEEN PUSHING FOR MYRON ROLLE, THE RECENT RHODES SCHOLAR THAT COMES WITH A VERY HIGH REP AS A COLLEGE SAFTEY, WITH THE LEADERSHIP SKILLS SO BADLY MISSING ON THE D SIDE OF THE PATRIOT ROSTER.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He won't get past the Seahawks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In light of this, Moving up in Round 1 in order to Draft Taylor Mays becomes a no-brainer.  With speed and size like that, I can overlook his terrible coverage skills and simply infantile first-year pop-warner abilities to read any sort of even Collegiate Offense or gameplan.  Overall, I think if we could just bunch 1 or even 2 & 3 of our 2nd rders together, we could secure a much-needed 5th Safety on our team who physically can stop Belichick's newly adopted and very successful "drafting for mid-sized Safeties in order to disguise his defensive looks much better against an ever more audibling & complicated offenses."  THEN, the rest of the draft (at least to me) becomes clear as day:  Draft TOTALLY for 40 times and Bench reps just like other NFL-successful powerhouse dynasties do...like Oakland.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Mays Combine 40:
    In light of this, Moving up in Round 1 in order to Draft Taylor Mays becomes a no-brainer.  With speed and size like that, I can overlook his terrible coverage skills and simply infantile first-year pop-warner abilities to read any sort of even Collegiate Offense or gameplan.  Overall, I think if we could just bunch 1 or even 2 & 3 of our 2nd rders together, we could secure a much-needed 5th Safety on our team who physically can stop Belichick's newly adopted and very successful "drafting for mid-sized Safeties in order to disguise his defensive looks much better against an ever more audibling & complicated offenses."  THEN, the rest of the draft (at least to me) becomes clear as day:  Draft TOTALLY for 40 times and Bench reps just like other NFL-successful powerhouse dynasties do...like Oakland.   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

I don't know Lazarus that sounds like a formula for success, you might want to add drafting 7th round prospect in the 2nd round, that just screams winner

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

I don't know Lazarus that sounds like a formula for success, you might want to add drafting 7th round prospect in the 2nd round, that just screams winner
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you kidding me? Kicker in the first round is the way to go!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why are we drafting a S in the 1st rounnd? RE is what Belichick will pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevindavis. Show kevindavis's posts

Mays makes sense if we can lock up Peppers and either Bodden or Dunta Robinson from Houston.  Oh....... and please send Hobbs Jr. aka. Wilhite packing for a third receiver.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from willharrell. Show willharrell's posts

This may be a reach, but if he could put on 10 or 15 lbs he might make a pretty good linebacker.  He's fast and he hits.  If I'm not mistaken, Brian Urlacher was a safety in college.  You never know.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Which is it 4.24 or 4.43 ? I'd think there's a big difference!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevindavis. Show kevindavis's posts

4.24 was unofficial.  4.43 is the Official time.  Good point about Urlacher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Depth at S , really? Meriweather is not a reliable S , this one step foward , two steps back will go on for his career. McG is decent , but hardly gives us depth. Despite the popular opinon that Mays cant play , I like him. More than most , were going to have to wait and see how this draft plays out. Who taken too high , who trades out , trades up , etc. I see Mays going early second , why not take a chance on him then. I cant see anyone taking him early-mid first. And he is a smart kid , he just trys to make the highlight play to often. I hate saying this , but he could become a very good player. Plus he seems like he would do what it takes to bacome that type of player , i.e. special teams etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Urlacher was a much better saftey in college and he also played in a 3-3-5 Defense at New Mexico where he was the Lobo Saftey which is more like a linebacker, so yes its valid, but not a great comparison

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My guy in the backfield is Florida's Major Wright.  He won the short shuttle and long shuttle drills.  Two other guys who have won these same drills are Wes Welker and (won them going away) Julian Edelman. 

Otherwise he hits pretty hard, he runs pretty fast and he leaps.  And he's a junior, one less year of wear and tear on him, still learning, still improving.

If the Patriots jump up and pick him as high as #35 (and BB tends to move around like that) I wouldn't be surprised.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts