taylor mays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

taylor mays

the 49ers sent out an email to the league that he is available for trade. i'm not sure why they are giving up on him so quick, but i guess the new regime there they are trying to make a statement. if he could be had on the cheap, maybe for a 4th rounder, he could be a steal. i know he cant really cover, but he's fast and he's big. maybe he could play that hybrid safety/MLB position that BB was trying with barett before he got injured after 1 practice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Re: taylor mays

Well for one the 49ers arnt exactly the smartest franchise anymore. and two i like the idea of trying to bring him in especially if someone of his phsical talent can be had for a 4th rounder. hes big 6'3 230 pounds and can bring the wood and in my mind would fit perfectly at the S/MLB hybrid position. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'd work him out. What can it hurt. I like his size and athleticism as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

they are releasing him because he's a straight line player that has no coverage skills. Not a good combination for a S. I wouldn't offer a 4th for him and since we don't have any picks later then a 4th this year I think it's good just to pass on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: taylor mays:
    [QUOTE]I'd work him out. What can it hurt. I like his size and athleticism as well.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    everyone within a country mile of the guy has liked his size+athleticism since middle school, hes an 11/10 athlete and a 4/10 football player...doesn't move well, looks lost with his back turned to the line of scrimmage, for whatever reason he doesn't play at half his timed speed/size....No thanks, people criticize Meriweather enough, and he has twice the range of Mays

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I wouldnt offer a 4th for him...5th would be a good trade, but I dont think we have any for the next two years

Fact of the matter is, guy is more of an athlete than a football player. Think vernon gholston at safety...maybe hes not that bad, but ull be frustrated more times than pleased if he plays here

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

That was the knock on him coming out of USC. Reminds me of Tebucky Jones.

[QUOTE]they are releasing him because he's a straight line player that has no coverage skills. Not a good combination for a S. I wouldn't offer a 4th for him and since we don't have any picks later then a 4th this year I think it's good just to pass on him.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Taylor Mays is out of SF because somehow it went from being that donte whitner was gonna sign with cinci to signing with SF. but Can you really blame whitner for not wanting to sign with the bengals?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to taylor mays:
    [QUOTE]the 49ers sent out an email to the league that he is available for trade. i'm not sure why they are giving up on him so quick, but i guess the new regime there they are trying to make a statement. if he could be had on the cheap, maybe for a 4th rounder, he could be a steal. i know he cant really cover, but he's fast and he's big. maybe he could play that hybrid safety/MLB position that BB was trying with barett before he got injured after 1 practice.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

Physically, he's the prototype for that hybrid SS/OLB position

he'd be a HUGE upgrade over Jarrad Page FOR THAT ROLE (Page was also underrated as a deep zone guy while I view Taylor Mays as more of a Roy Williams type safety)

Bob Barker

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i agree that he is an athlete not a football player...but put him in the patriots hands and who knows what he could become. 
    now i dont think this is going to happen, but it was just a thought. and i dont care how stiff his hips are, he's bound to be better than page was or barrett or mcgowan (who i like but he's got his weaknesses). and at the very least he should be a special teams demon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]That was the knock on him coming out of USC. Reminds me of Tebucky Jones.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Reminds you of Tebucky Jones? Tebucky played for ten years and contrary to what you might think, played reasonably well in a lot of them. This guy ran stride for stride with Randy Moss more than once in his career and hit him in the mouth a few times too. We got a second rounder for him from the Saints (he even helped us when he left).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Wow.  Learned about this just now reading this post.  I'd gamble on the kid for a 4th rounder, are you kidding me?  6'3", 230, 4.31.  I'd make him an OLB and use him in 4-3 sets.  I realize Pete Carroll passed on the kid and Mays complained that his stats were down because Pete used him more as a centerfielder, but this kid can play.  He isn't fluid as a S, but as an OLB, put 10 lbs on him and let him play the weak side.  He can rush the QB and cover the FB or TE coming across.  As a LB with that speed?  Yes, hybrid S/LB, could be the next Rodney Harrison.

Also, look ahead.  We have a pair of 1sts and 2nds next year.  Heck our first this year, Solder, will be lucky to see much action this year.  5 picks in the first 3 rounds is plenty.  I can't believe SF would give up on a 2nd round pick who most had as a late 1st after 1 week of practice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I know what your saying, but is his instincts there to play a position he hasn't played before in a league like this? Would have to think no. How is he going to be speed wise with some extra weight? You already said he's not fluid and people have said that his speed doesn't transcend to the field. I love the way he slammed Carroll after the draft, because I think the guy is a weasel, but I also think Carroll knew what he was doing when he passed on him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]This guy will cut once they realize no one will trade for him so I would kick the tired then. But if most of you guys hate Brandon Meriweather how on earth can you talk about this kid? He is a down grade from a player you hate and that is a FACT. I mean im just saying if you think Meriweather is bad in coverage this kid is going to make Meriweather look like Ed Reed back there. This kid has speed and power but NO coverage skills. San Fran is one of my favorite teams so I watch a lot of their games and he was bad...and I mean BAD.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he was the savior at the safety position.  I specifically said he was weak in coverage and that Page was more effective in the deep zone

But as a specimen offering versatility in our defense as a half-SS-half-OLB?  Absolutely, if the price is right

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Taylor Mays incredible talent in college, because he has the size and speed to make plays all over the field.  Also he was surrounded by incredible defensive talent at USC, something Carroll probably considered when he didn't draft Mays, he wasn't doing it by himself. 

However, in the NFL, you would much rather that smaller safety, who plays bigger than he is and more importantly can play coverage.  I would much rather have Meriweather on this roster than Mays. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Honestly I resepct the hell outa rotoworld, and they said this guy can run a straight line fast and that's about it.  All good with that.  We have a pro-bowler that you fake Pats fans love to hate.