Taylor more likely than Peppers in NE uniform

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Although it has been nice to talk about let's go to what is most likely going to happen. Taylor will wait to sign later in FA so he's not forced to come to workouts but is still going to end up with best friend TB.

He will come at a much cheaper price tag than Peppers and because Taylor is a FA so not draft picks to any team. Yes Taylor is older than Peppers but he still has two good years left. Now 2009 draft, BB drafts someone to learn from Taylor and eventually replace him once JT gets his two rings (that's right back to back SB wins in NE) and retires to go judge in Dancing with the... you get the picture. and in 2015 or 2016 TB will be there to speak for Taylor when get gets into the Hall of Fame.

This makes tons more since and is more likely than any Peppers crap, now wait 5 years and Peppers might be coming to NE for the same reasons Jason is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[Quote]thats the tricky part with the big name players on the verge of retireing.either you get a great player for a year,or two.who is working hard to get that SB ring before he calls it quits,or you get the player who thinks he shouldnt go to certain work-out programs,or meetings,and his name is just enough.[/Quote]

I think it would be the "Jet's Favre" version of Taylor...coming off an injury, had a taste of celebrity, and is just waiting for the jacket fitting in Canton. I would be wary that he would sign a contract with some heavy guarantee, then get hurt early or not make the team. The Pat's need a veteran lineman or LB who has been eating Ramen soup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Taylor would bring more bang for the buck. Peppers would have to rack up Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, or Bruce Smith type numbers to be worth what the Pats (or anyone else) would pay him. I, for one, don't want anyone making more money than Brady on the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoburnPaulie. Show WoburnPaulie's posts

I said it before and I think it bears repeating; If the Pats are looking for a nickname in the food category such as D-Licious, then forget Peppers as an acompanyment to their Mayo, just package some of those second round picks and get that outstanding LB Curry. Curry and Mayo would be much more palatable than Mayo and Peppers...BURP!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Jason Taylor makes way too much sense! He's about the same high and frame as Peppers, won the defensive player of year a few season ago(when did Peppers win it?), has already played OLB, and would come at a very cap friendly number. And as crazy as this statement might be to some, if Taylor stays healthy, I could easly see him have much more impact then Peppers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Look at the 2007 numbers for both Taylor and Peppers, based on those you are right there's no comparison Taylor is a much better player than Peppers.
    Peppers has been a stud as a DE in a 4-3, those that mean he can sit back and stay in his lane waiting for a running play or drop back with backs, TEs and sometimes WRs? Who knows right, he might or might be a bust but with Taylor you know what you are getting because he's been doing it. Also with Vrable gone who is the mentor for younger guys? I still think that for the value Taylor brings more to the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Actually I think JT would be very succesfull here in NE, so for me he is a much better deal than Peppers. Same talent, same speed, better technique, and cheaper.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I dont think it is fair to compare those two based one season (2008). Why not take a look at the 2007 season instead then?? In 2007 JT was far better than Peppers.! - You have to look at their performance over several seasons, and in my opinion JT has been the most consistent in that perspective. By the way I dont think Peppers numbers would have been great last season either, if he had played in Washington... You have to consider value versus costs and in that perspective there is no doubt JT is the right choice.
    By the way I dont see any sense in bringing in Peppers if that means bye-bye to Seymour. Then you will exchange a proven succesfull 3-4 DE who knows the system, with a much more expensive DE with no experice in a 3-4 scheme - and their age and number of Pro Bowls are almost similar. Make no sense at all!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I think both are equally unlikely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZRob101. Show ZRob101's posts

[Quote]Actually I think JT would be very succesfull here in NE, so for me he is a much better deal than Peppers. Same talent, same speed, better technique, and cheaper.[/Quote]

same talent?
    same speed?
    better technique?
    when? 10 years ago? did you watch taylor play last year?

you get what you pay for...theres a reason taylor is cheaper...not to say it wouldn't make more sense to sign taylor at his price than peppers, because of the other things you can do with taylor for less money around, but don't try to compare taylor to peppers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

In addition, Taylor has the same body type as Crable, who I see as a very raw but extremely talented player. I would love for him to learn from Taylor how to passrush; as good as Thomas is, he plays an entirely different style. Same with Colvin, Vrabel, etc. Crable has never learned from a pro with a similiar body type and style--I see adding Taylor for far less money than Peppers as an extremely good move both short-term and long-term. Plus it doesn't hamstring our ability to sign our own talent.

Next year, we know several of the older players are going to retire. That will give us more cap to work with in order to resign Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins, et al.

Taylor /> Peppers any day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Thats the tricky part with the big name players on the verge of retireing.either you get a great player for a year,or two.who is working hard to get that SB ring before he calls it quits,or you get the player who thinks he shouldnt go to certain work-out programs,or meetings,and his name is just enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[Quote]

Kyle I think we can all agree BB will most likely draft one or two guys at OLB that can rush the QB. Who would you rather have them be mentored by actually that's not even a fair question because JP will be learning the position just like the rookies will be. Peppers is a bad deal for the Pats, are 10 to 14 sacks worth sacrificing the 200 tackles between VW, RS, Mankins will have? I don't think so, can Taylor still give you those 10 to 14 sacks and still have those 200 tackles in the inside from those guys and the answer is yes.[/Quote]Good point.and if he knows this.just how cheap is he willing to go?IM sure nowhere near peppers money,But i cant see him comeing here on a discount.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Not really. Taylor is at this points a 1 down LB. Peppers will play every down. They both would help this team a lot, but Peppers would be coming in as one of the best players in the league and Taylor would be coming in as a great option, but for a much smaller role.[/Quote]

Kyle I think we can all agree BB will most likely draft one or two guys at OLB that can rush the QB. Who would you rather have them be mentored by actually that's not even a fair question because JP will be learning the position just like the rookies will be. Peppers is a bad deal for the Pats, are 10 to 14 sacks worth sacrificing the 200 tackles between VW, RS, Mankins will have? I don't think so, can Taylor still give you those 10 to 14 sacks and still have those 200 tackles in the inside from those guys and the answer is yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]

Taylor would bring more bang for the buck. Peppers would have to rack up Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, or Bruce Smith type numbers to be worth what the Pats (or anyone else) would pay him. I, for one, don't want anyone making more money than Brady on the Pats.

[/Quote]
    Add Lawrance Taylor and maybe he's worth bringing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]I, too, would rather have JT than Peppers for the same reasons already stated. Most importantly, I think that signing JT instead would allow us to take care of our own come this time next year. Wilfork HAS to get a new deal. Seymour and Mankins deserve deals as well. It would also be nice to have Kevin Faulk back. The only way for these deals to get done is if we do not get Peppers. He will ruin the economics of the entire team. It is too risky for a player who has never even played in a 3-4 scheme. Bring on Jason Taylor![/Quote]

Good point, I didn't even mention the ability to sign our guys. Taylor just makes so much more since for the TEAM concept.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If the Pats wanted Curry that bad the would have gotten the 3rd pick from KC and that's still no a guarantee. He might go 1 to the lions and the price tag would still be too much but man Curry Mayo sounds good.

I think if the Pats can pickup Laurinaitis and Barwin or English for the outside would bring the same value as Curry or if Rey Maualuga drops on their lap then that will be good too but no Peppers in this recipe

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Taylor forced his way out of Miami last year with the Parcells/Sporano hard-core coaching, and took the big money deal with the Skins. He's a Miami Southbeach/Hollywood wanna-be now. The Skins cut him because he didn't want to work out with the team, and he was willing to give up millions in bonuses to supposedly hang out with the family in Florida??

Yeah, he'll fit like a glove here under the Foxboro palm trees and the easy-going style of BB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Actually I think JT would be very succesfull here in NE, so for me he is a much better deal than Peppers. Same talent, same speed, better technique, and cheaper.[/Quote]

And most important (aside from cheaper) has played OLB in a 3-4.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I agree 100% with everything said in this thread....and we wouldn't have to lose the 2nd pick of the second round.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Good point.and if he knows this.just how cheap is he willing to go?IM sure nowhere near peppers money,But i cant see him comeing here on a discount.[/Quote]

All comes down to one thing, does Taylor who might be a future hall of famer want to get that ring before he leaves the game? Does he respect BB and Brady enough to agree to a contract that is not what he could get somewhere else but the Pats give him the best opportunity for that ring.

Lets face it, I think the Pats if the season started today and with a healthy Brady would be favorite to win it all. Get Taylor some good draft picks and the odds only get better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]Don't rule out Julius peppers so easily, remember he is only 29. Here's a good analysis of how New England could make the financials work
    [/Quote]

That article makes sense for next year's Cap (if there is one), but it does not explain how he fits into this year's cap. We only have something like 5.6 million to spend this year. This does not include the Galloway signing and the Draft signings.

I still can't see it happen unless someone is traded along with the #2 in the second round.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/141574-behind-the-rumor-how-the-peppers-to-new-england-trade-could-work

who knows.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmann822. Show jmann822's posts

Don't rule out Julius peppers so easily, remember he is only 29. Here's a good analysis of how New England could make the financials work