Taylor Price Waived

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Taylor Price Waived

Makes you wonder what exactly some of these young guys are like behind the scenes (supposedly Price was cut for lack of practice effort). Now when I look at a guy like Brace, Cunningham and to some extent our young running backs, I'm going to wonder just what they are giving in practice and their desire....based off their lack of playing time (like Price).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can we use the 3rd rounders to trade up or trade them back please? For one odd reason or another 3rd rounders have been pretty poor for the Pats. I'd rather toss the 3rd into another trade to net something slightly better then to use them anymore.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price Waived:
    [QUOTE]If I was the Owner of the Pats I would be slapping the scouting dept.......HARD.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother Bob. Something needs to be done. Even if the Pats had hit on half of their high picks over the past 5 years, they would now be in a position to dominate in the AFC for another decade. BB and Tom Brady are not going to be around forever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taylor Price Waived :      Another wasted high draft choice...sigh.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

On the positive side, NE takes more high round choices than anyone, so they don't need the highest hit rate.

And they play the FA market more actively than anyone.

I think about it like boxing ... some guys pick their punches and some guys are just on fire throwing like a storm.

In the end, it matters who has the most hits overall, not the most misses. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB is the scouting department, the GM and the head of football operation. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Here is the list.  Started out so well, and been downhill ever since.  Funny thing is the 7th round picks (Edelman and Givens) have been much better then then the higher picks oustide branch.  Hmmm wasnt Brady a 6th round pick.  OMG its not the Pats are trading down to much, there not trading down far enough!!!!

With the release of former third-round pick Taylor Price on Saturday, the Patriots have again cut ties with another disappointing wide receiver prospect. Here is a look at the team's draft selections at the position under head coach Bill Belichick (2000-present):

Deion Branch, 2002 -- 2nd round, 65th overall
    The first wide receiver selected by Belichick in New England has been a solid performer, returning to the Patriots last season following a five-year stop in Seattle. Branch was the fourth wide receiver in NFL history to earn Super Bowl MVP honors (XXXIX).

David Givens, 2002 -- 7th round, 253rd overall
    Givens was another favorite target of quarterback Tom Brady for two Super Bowl teams, catching a touchdown pass in seven straight playoff games before signing with the Titans following the 2005 season. A knee injury, however, ended Givens' career shortly thereafter.

Bethel Johnson, 2003 -- 2nd round, 45th overall
    The speedy receiver made a handful of highlight-reel catches and kickoff returns in New England, but was eventually traded to the Saints in 2006 for defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, in a swap of disappointing high-round picks. Johnson is now out of football.

P.K. Sam, 2004 -- 5th round, 164th overall
    Sam's short career in New England was mired by injury and a suspension. He later landed in the CFL.

Chad Jackson, 2006 -- 2nd round, 36th overall
    Despite the Patriots trading up with the Packers (who later selected Greg Jennings with New England's original selection) to draft Jackson in 2006, the Florida product caught only 13 passes in two seasons with the Patriots. After stints in Buffalo, Denver, and Oakland, his latest stop was in Omaha with the UFL.

Matthew Slater, 2008 -- 5th round, 153rd overall
    Now in his fourth season, Slater is the Patriots' special teams captain.

Brandon Tate, 2009 -- 3rd round, 83rd overall
    After a knee injury in college wiped out nearly all of his rookie season, Tate scored five touchdowns in 2010, including two on kickoff returns. However, his contributions were inconsistent on offense, and the Patriots cut ties with Tate before this season. He is now with the Bengals.

Julian Edelman, 2009 -- 7th round, 232nd overall
    Edelman, a college quarterback, quickly earned comparisons to Patriots receiver Wes Welker, starting seven games his rookie season. While Edelman's role on offense has dwindled, he has recently posted solid performances as a fill-in defensive back.

Taylor Price, 2010 -- 3rd round, 90th overall
    In nearly two seasons in New England, Price struggled to break into the Patriots' offense, even when injuries thinned the depth at the position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Man, we cannot draft WRs. I get jealous looking at the Pakcers, who have drafted Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and now the promising Randall Cobb in the past few years. Really, Gronk has been the only slam dunk pick in quite some time, though I also have high hopes for Solder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Man, we cannot draft WRs. I get jealous looking at the Pakcers, who have drafted Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and now the promising Randall Cobb in the past few years. Really, Gronk has been the only slam dunk pick in quite some time, though I also have high hopes for Solder.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Aaron Hernandez has been another homerun as well, especially considering his production relative to his draft position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

now i know why BB stockpiles picks, hecuts so many. why not trade first three rounds for the last 3, seems like the team is loaded with late round guys

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

What can you do, but da mn I didn't think he'd be another one. I have to say though i'm ok with the state of the team at the minute though, we're even getting to the QB finally! Dissapointed more than anything 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Jackson, bethel j, Tate, price. consecutively. guess thats what happens when u draft guys with no proven ability to learn an o and run the route tree. brady might not be the best teacher either.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how you can to comment on Brady maybe not being the best teacher. First he's not the wide receiver's coach and secondly Brady has made the best of it with just average receiving corps for years. Look at some of the receivers that Brady has passed to in recent years that have gone to other teams and done nothing. Dione Branch is a good example.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taylor Price Waived : You're talking about S Eric Reid, correct?  Believe he's a sophmore, not draft eligible so I haven't spent a bunch of time researching him.  I do like his size (6-2 208), he's already experienced for being such a young player (decent amount of burn as a freshman) and I look forward to researching him more next year. My favorite draft eligible safety to this point is Mark Barron out of Alabama, below is my current report on him: "He’s an experienced and versatile kid with experience lining up all over the field and within multiple coverages.   He’s a good sized kid that runs well, quickly reads the action and closes, is a solid yet physical tackler, is solid in coverage with excellent instincts and ball skills and also brings some big play ability.   He also comes with the Saban/SEC pedigree.   He could be a day 1 starter at S for BB."
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Sweet.. Thanks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

[QUOTE]now i know why BB stockpiles picks, hecuts so many. why not trade first three rounds for the last 3, seems like the team is loaded with late round guys
    Posted by itllnevahapn[/QUOTE]

Haha good one

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In two years when Shane Vereen gets waived - please don't have a 4-page thread expressing shock.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snazzikon038. Show snazzikon038's posts

[QUOTE]Man, we cannot draft WRs. I get jealous looking at the Pakcers, who have drafted Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and now the promising Randall Cobb in the past few years. Really, Gronk has been the only slam dunk pick in quite some time, though I also have high hopes for Solder.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

You can add Mike Wallace to that list as well becasue we could of had him. Can you imagine mike wallance, greg jennings, Gonk, Aaron H., Welker, and Branch... Good God!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taylor Price Waived : On the positive side, NE takes more high round choices than anyone, so they don't need the highest hit rate. And they play the FA market more actively than anyone. I think about it like boxing ... some guys pick their punches and some guys are just on fire throwing like a storm. In the end, it matters who has the most hits overall, not the most misses. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Your argument doesn't fly...though I wish it did. The Pats have wasted a ton of high draft choices...and missed out on some very good players as a result. Had they been more successful, they would have won at least one other SB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

If you don't draft WR in the first round you aren't going to get the best results. I wish they held on Tate and cut Price in the preseason. Tate atleast had shown he had talent and could make the occassional play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In two years when Shane Vereen gets waived - please don't have a 4-page thread expressing shock.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

OK, we'll make it 8... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Bill as GM, I'm beginning to doubt.  Go Pats

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]now i know why BB stockpiles picks, hecuts so many. why not trade first three rounds for the last 3, seems like the team is loaded with late round guys
    Posted by itllnevahapn[/QUOTE]

This might not be a bad idea. Since BB hits almost as many times in the 4th and 5th rounds as he does in the first three.....

Using the draft value chart, and figuring we pick at about #24 in the first round, trade the 1,2,3 round picks for as many 4th and 5th rounders as possible for the value.

That's around 28 picks. I suspect BB would get 5 or 6 players better out of those 28 than he manages on average to get out of our top 3 picks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taylor Price Waived : Dude, Since u r our draft guru, what do u think abt LSU #1 Reid guy. I dont watch college football but every time i see lsu playing, he is all over the place...
    Posted by SANPATT[/QUOTE]

i love the guy. i son;t know about cb, but think he'd be great safety. i may be wrong but i think he' a FR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...Maybe, when we want to draft a CB or WR in the 2012 draft we should just go with the consensus Best Player Available at the position.  It cannot possibly be worse.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

i am not sure if you were sarcastic, but this is a very wise suggestion. i think it works well with bb's recently emerging strategy of drafting a position in pairs.

i imagine that bb will trade out of one of the first rounds picks for a 2013 1st. oakland is a very good candidate or a trade partner, as i believe they do not have both a 1st and a 2nd in the 2012.

that leaves the pats with one 1st, two 2nds a third and a 4th.

i think they can draft two those on WRs. i know people want a pass rusher and/or a LB and /or a S and/or a CB. i just think that the real talent in 2012 is in wr. and many of them are tall ones too.

i don't see pass rushers this year that had the motor of pass rushers last year. and carter looks fine. maybe get another one to compete with anderson on the opposite side.

LBs? i am fixated on four - hightower, teo, burfict, kuelchy (at 6'3" he should be able to get to 145 with no problems).i don't know if i'd want to spend a 3rd or higher on anyone who outside of those four. of course they may all be gone by early second.

cb looks like another deep posiiton this coming draft. and i may be crazy but for some reason i feel like edelman will end up being a good cb.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]Makes you wonder what exactly some of these young guys are like behind the scenes (supposedly Price was cut for lack of practice effort). Now when I look at a guy like Brace, Cunningham and to some extent our young running backs, I'm going to wonder just what they are giving in practice and their desire....based off their lack of playing time (like Price).
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Especially when it comes to receivers, this boggles my mind.  you'd think a young receiver would soak every practice opportunity up in order to learn from and establish a repore with Brady.  To prove himself directly with the QB and coaches.  What else would Price rather do during the weekdays?