Taylor Price

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Taylor Price

Well, Taylor Price nearly matched his Patriots career tonight with two catches for 39 yards. Obviously, it will be quite some time before we find out if he can really play in the NFL, but it brings back up why it has been so hard to incorporate young WRs into the offense. Is it Brady, BB or the offensive "system"?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Taylor Price

Is it Brady? Oh yeah, it must be, because Chad Jackson and Brandon Tate are burning up the league.

I'll let you know the real reason, but don't tell anybody. BB svcks at drafting WRs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price:
    Is it Brady? Oh yeah, it must be, because Chad Jackson and Brandon Tate are burning up the league. I'll let you know the real reason, but don't tell anybody. BB svcks at drafting WRs.
    Posted by BabeParilli

I do not think it is Brady because he loves throwing to Gronk and Hernandez. I do not think it is just drafting either. I blame the coaching end of it. Belichick, O'Brien and O'Shea need to figure out a way to get young and free agent WRs involved in the offense. 

I have said it before, if the offense is so complicated that young athletic players and a guy who was having a HOF career (Ochocinco) cannot contribute then that is a flawed offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

"You can't make the club from the tub." Willie Mac

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Good point, but trying to find young RB and WR is hot easy in our offense. They need more adavnce skills than what we're getting. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

"You can't make the club from the tub." Willie Mac
    Posted by ipats

His injuries must have been pretty bad. It took almost two weeks for him to play in a game and have catches after the Patriots cut him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Good point, but trying to find young RB and WR is hot easy in our offense. They need more adavnce skills than what we're getting. 
    Posted by proftom

And I have been trying to make that point for a while, if our offense is so complicated that you cannot find players to fit it, then maybe there is something wrong with our offensive system. Either that or our coaches are not good enough at teaching it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Because not all players can think and react... Simple offenses = Athletic skills, Patriots Offense = Think and then use Athletic skills... They require QB's @ the WR position, well its hard to find those guys. They need to either change the offense, or just stop drafting WR's because its useless...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It doesn't appear to be a case of the offense or coaching being too challenging or ineffective. Otherwise these guys would go somewhere else and put up some convincing numbers. It is simply a case of poor drafting. They call them busts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"And I have been trying to make that point for a while, if our offense is so complicated that you cannot find players to fit it, then maybe there is something wrong with our offensive system. Either that or our coaches are not good enough at teaching it."

I think there's some validity to this.  And you can make the same case for their defense too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think that BB was trying to sneak Price onto the practice squad and it bit him.  I do not see Price as any more than a 3rd or 4th WR.  It was a gamble that did not work out.  It happens.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think if Price had cleared waivers, he'd be here.  But given that, what, 5 waiver claims were put in on the guy teams obviously thought he could help.  It's too bad, but when a team gives up on a guy 2 years in it cannot be a good sign that the player "got it" or was tough enough to play through injuries.  Price definitely looks like he has some talent but for some reason he couldn't take reps away from Branch and Chad Johnson.  A head scratcher.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Not surprised he had some production last night. Athletically, the kid has it. I think it's a case of IQ in Pats system. The system requiring to a high degree, the receiver and Brady seeing the same things, being on the same page. They have to both read defenses and coverages the same way, and anticipate which is not an easy thing to do for young or even veteran players.

Dumbing down the system so that athletes can be athletes sounds reasonable. I would argue that the WRs in the Pats system are not all simply "smart guys", but guys that are athletes also. Perhaps it's the combination of the 2 that makes drafting for BB so difficult. Or, perhaps he's just terrible at scouting WRs.

The Pats put a premium on YAC by their receivers. All of the guys on the roster (that play) are good YAC receivers. Gronk, Hern, Welker, Branch, Woody, etc.
    I think their requirements for receivers in this system is different than most.

Whatever the reason, it needs to be investigated. We've spent too much on the position in recent memory for it not to be profitable. And, we've skipped on numerous talent in the draft that is producing in a big way on other teams.

This would be an offseason priority if I was in BB's shoes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Good post Lifer,

I agree with this and also have some other info that bothers me.

I think Price would have done more with a real qb, not Gabbert out there.

He was open a few times.

Brady said recently in a press conference that being the 3rd WR here is difficult. They essentially dont run any plays for you.

Let me break it down.  The only guys who get plays called for them is Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski and sometimes Dieon Branch.

He said Gaffney was good at finding his way and so it wasnt a big deal. Basically if you arent W.W or R.G. you have to get in where you fit in.

This is why Branch has been out of sync at times w/Brady. They only call a play for one WR at a time. If its for Wes and he doesnt get open, Brady has to go to a secondary guy who has to freelance and find the open spot and also hope that he will get the ball.

When you only get on the field for a handful of snaps, this is hard for anyone.

They predominantly call plays for Wes and Gronk. The other options have to know all routes and decide where to go based on that and the coverage.

The Ideal thing for Ocho is for him to be on the field more and to get his # called. When you come on the field for one play at a time its obvious you may get the ball. I dont think the Pats are helping him any by the way they use him.

I def. think going forward they need to re-evaluate the system and stop askign so much of them. Its not fair to cater only to your best guys. They should be the ones asked to do more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Taylor Price:
    Well, Taylor Price nearly matched his Patriots career tonight with two catches for 39 yards. Obviously, it will be quite some time before we find out if he can really play in the NFL, but it brings back up why it has been so hard to incorporate young WRs into the offense. Is it Brady, BB or the offensive "system"?
    Posted by FrnkBnhm

Taylor Price is playing for the Jaguars who got thumped last night 41-14.  How can you post something like this and not look at the whole picture. Do you think Branch or Edelman or Ocho might have had three or more catches if they were playing for the Jags? 
    Compare apples to apples.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good point Mithrandir. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Taylor Price : Taylor Price is playing for the Jaguars who got thumped last night 41-14.  How can you post something like this and not look at the whole picture. Do you think Branch or Edelman or Ocho might have had three or more catches if they were playing for the Jags?  Compare apples to apples.  
    Posted by gandalf433

of course Branch, Edelman or Ocho would have had 3 or more catches playing for the Jags last night, but what is the point? Is it that anyone ahead of Price on the Pats roster would have had 3 or more catches?
    Regardless of where Price was on our depth chart, he still had some production last night. By comparing what Branch, Ocho and Edelman may have done, takes nothing away from Price. You still have to get open and catch the ball which he did.
    For me its a question of young, developable talent. Branch and Ocho are long in the tooth and don't represent our future. Price like Edelman was a guy they had high hopes for, and presumably was part of the future.
    In the end, I think the Pats need to do a better job of making sure the future gets a chance at the present. It's the only way to develop kids and have them contribute. What's Ridley and Vereen's excuse?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Good post Lifer, I agree with this and also have some other info that bothers me. I think Price would have done more with a real qb, not Gabbert out there. He was open a few times. Brady said recently in a press conference that being the 3rd WR here is difficult. They essentially dont run any plays for you. Let me break it down.  The only guys who get plays called for them is Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski and sometimes Dieon Branch. He said Gaffney was good at finding his way and so it wasnt a big deal. Basically if you arent W.W or R.G. you have to get in where you fit in. This is why Branch has been out of sync at times w/Brady. They only call a play for one WR at a time. If its for Wes and he doesnt get open, Brady has to go to a secondary guy who has to freelance and find the open spot and also hope that he will get the ball. When you only get on the field for a handful of snaps, this is hard for anyone. They predominantly call plays for Wes and Gronk. The other options have to know all routes and decide where to go based on that and the coverage. The Ideal thing for Ocho is for him to be on the field more and to get his # called. When you come on the field for one play at a time its obvious you may get the ball. I dont think the Pats are helping him any by the way they use him. I def. think going forward they need to re-evaluate the system and stop askign so much of them. Its not fair to cater only to your best guys. They should be the ones asked to do more.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Thanks Jay.

I think it also comes down to how the Pats incorporate young talent into their system, and develop players going forward. 

We could easily point out Gronk and Hern and say the Pats did a magnificent job drafting and using them, and we would be correct. They also represent a position where there is no depth outside of the 2 of them. In addition, imagine this offense without Gronk or Hern. That impact wouldn't be so bad if we had 2 more WRs that could produce outside of Wes and created mismatches. 

WR and RB are 2 troubling positions from my perspective in terms of how the Pats incorporate and develop young talent. You could make the case that Ocho, Edelman and Branch should be all ahead of Price on the depth chart, and thus the reason he didn't play. But, what about a guy like Underwood? How does he get more playing time than both Price and Ocho when he clearly is new to the system plus doesn't look as dynamic as either of those 2.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Lifer, One thing I can say is that brady confirmed a lot for me this year in terms of how this offense is ran.

I dont know why he is so forth coming as of late but some of it is troubling.

I think the part of about the tight ends not having backups has some merit, but also consider that every QB wants a great tight end.  Why? , because they are big targets who are easier to get the ball to.  This is what we are seeing with Gronk.

In another recent presser, Brady was actually asked about Ocho not being involved and talked about tight ends and how they are the first option in his line of sight having mostly over the middle routes. He also said that at times he DOES miss a wide open Ocho or Branch because he sees Gronk open first and as long as he is getting open, he has no need to look to his 2nd read.

The fact that Gronk is so good and reliable is hindering the other guys. Now, I like that our Tight end is Great but I am scared that when he is taken away, noone else will be ready as they dont have the exp. or the catches to know what to do.

They would help themselves by using these last few games to rest Gronk some and get some others guys involved for the postseason run.

Gronk has been hurting this year too and they have given him ZERO rest and this concerns me if he is our Main Target.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Do yourselves a favor and stop overthinking this, Price is gone and to a team that is so far out of it that it might as wellbe in outter space. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Do yourselves a favor and stop overthinking this, Price is gone and to a team that is so far out of it that it might as wellbe in outter space. 
    Posted by Dessalines

What Price does on the Jags is of no consequence to the Pats for sure. However, discussing the topic is relevant because it has near and long term impact on the Pats ability to sustain success. We all saw what happened when the Pats put all their eggs in the Moss/Welker basket and Wes went down for the season. We also saw last year what happens when there are no reliable receivers who can get open after Gronk and Wes. 

So yes, Price being gone is water under the bridge, but player evaluation and player development is absolutely one of the most important topics on this board.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Jay,

I guess as long as Gronk and Wes are getting open, then no need to look anywhere else. I get your point about good and bad. The bad reared its ugly head last year in the Jets playoff game when we had trouble getting both Wes and Gronk the ball.

Honestly, not sure how to cure this challenge unless Brady and OB make a point to incorporate others into this offense, and do a better job at distribution of the ball. That itself is a double edged sword, because you want the ball in the hands of your best...Gronk and Wes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

1. The PAT's offense is as good as anyone's.
    2. The TE and slot positions are most important.
    3. The O scores points in bunches.
    4. Who cares if the WR catches very little??

Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

4. I care if the WR catches very little because after Gronk and Wes are limited or shut down, there's not much behind them. Honestly, I don't care who makes the catches, but it would be nice to have a couple of insurance policies floating around in case teams do to us what the Jets did in the playoffs last year, or what Pitt did to us this year. Look at the way Pitt played us in terms of their corners on Welker, Branch, etc.

It's just about developing a more "round" offense, where there are 4 legit receiving options on the field at any one time, and TB has the confidence/experience with them to get them the ball. Hern and Branch are the 3 and 4, but neither get great seperation on routes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price : of course Branch, Edelman or Ocho would have had 3 or more catches playing for the Jags last night, but what is the point? Is it that anyone ahead of Price on the Pats roster would have had 3 or more catches? 
    Posted by PatsLifer

The "Point" is Taylor Price was given ample opportunity to develop and make this team. He was carried for almost two years. He wasn't good enough. He wasn't good enough to make this team! That is the point. He may be good enough to make the Jags, but he isn't good enough to make this team. 

Ridley and Vareen are seeing action in their first year. Both have made contributions. I like how the Pats are bringing them along. Neither are as good as BJGE or Woodhead or Faulk .... yet. They will be in a much better position next year to make big contributions. 

Sections
Shortcuts