Taylor Price

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Taylor Price

In Response to Re: Taylor Price:
    In Response to Re: Taylor Price : The "Point" is Taylor Price was given ample opportunity to develop and make this team. He was carried for almost two years. He wasn't good enough. He wasn't good enough to make this team! That is the point. He may be good enough to make the Jags, but he isn't good enough to make this team.  Ridley and Vareen are seeing action in their first year. Both have made contributions. I like how the Pats are bringing them along. Neither are as good as BJGE or Woodhead or Faulk .... yet. They will be in a much better position next year to make big contributions. 
    Posted by gandalf433

I dont think you can state this with confidence because you dont know.  Yes he was cut from the team, but do you really call playing in 2 games in 2 years an oppourtunity?

We dont know if the Pats were planning on bringing him back and just got caught with their pants down. We needed a center and had to drop someone. I doubt they would just give up on him after endorsing him just weeks earlier.

In any event, even if they did give up on him, do you think he was given a chance?  I dont buy the practice stuff because Perillo said he looked great in practices and my eyes said the same from what I saw in camp.  Maybe he didnt have that rapport w/Brady, but he had no chance here.

How can you improve if you dont see the field?  Some guys play better in games than practice. This guy got ONE SHOT this year. he went deep, beat his man, and Brady was flushed out the pocket and threw a bad ball.  The Db broke it up..The End.  This was Price's only oppty this year and last year in the finale he did well.

Like I said, thats not an oppt'y, thats a very short tryout.

Guys on offense get ONE Shot, while we got all kind of bums running around in the secondary with no risk of losing a job?!?! 

Thats a problem!

Noone wants to admit that Brady has a short leash with Wr's. As much as he praised Ocho, what is he doing?  He left him out the dry the minute they bought back High Top Underwood.  He goes to Underwood and gets picked off and was about to ruin his confidence and O'bie stepped in to stop it.

I think its pretty obvious. Brady demands a ton and is a prima dona when it comes to working w/these guys. You mess up , you are done.

This, IMO is why Ocho is never on the field, yet when they need a 1st down, in comes Ocho and Boom! 1st down, now back to bench cuz Brady doesnt like to throw to you.

Look at how sparingly Hernandez has been used this year after a couple of early drops.  How about running backs?  How many passes they caught?

You really think Faulk is better than Ridley or Vareen?  Or is it that Brady is just trying to live in the past and wants faulk out there because he is sooooo clutch on that 2 yard out.....lol - Brady needs to get over Branch and Faulk. Both look to be over the hill and play much more then they should.

My eyes work very well, please dont tell me these guys just cant play.  Standards need to be lowered.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Patriots passing offense (2nd in the league) does not miss Taylor Price. Obviously he was not a fit. This is however a failure in scouting and coaching.
    You don't want be releasing 3 rd round picks after not quite 2 seasons..and was hurt mostly in the first. It didn't appear the Pats needed much time to make up their mind and realize he was a "failure".
    Miss on Price..hit on Gronk and Hernandez..guess that's how the draft wheel rolls some time.
    Ochocinco doesn't have ton of catches but has the highest yards per catch of any Pats receiver.
    Price came out of a an option type Nebraskra-ish offense under Solich at Ohio U. prrobably not too much of a complicated passing game. Bootlegs..etc. Going to the pats passing attack was probably like going from times tables to calculus.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I was surprised by Price being cut. I remember Deion Branch raving about him in preseason. I expected him to be our deep threat. One thing I can tell you is that we better be careful who we draft at WR because we will have a hard time landing a top tier free agent. After our track record at WR with Ocho, Tate, Galloway, Price, Stallworth....  A top WR would be crazy to come here. We used to always hear how these guys want to play for BB and catch passes from Brady, but if the offense is that complicated, and Brady loses trust that easily, I could see how they would want to avoid Foxboro at all costs. We better start developing our young guys through the draft. We haven't hit on a draft pick at WR in 11 years since Branch came out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Patriots passing offense (2nd in the league) does not miss Taylor Price. Obviously he was not a fit. This is however a failure in scouting and coaching. You don't want be releasing 3 rd round picks after not quite 2 seasons..and was hurt mostly in the first. It didn't appear the Pats needed much time to make up their mind and realize he was a "failure". Miss on Price..hit on Gronk and Hernandez..guess that's how the draft wheel rolls some time. Ochocinco doesn't have ton of catches but has the highest yards per catch of any Pats receiver. Price came out of a an option type Nebraskra-ish offense under Solich at Ohio U. prrobably not too much of a complicated passing game. Bootlegs..etc. Going to the pats passing attack was probably like going from times tables to calculus.
    Posted by rochfan

Fair.

And, you bring up another good point we forgot to touch on. The college Offense Price played in was not directly transferrable to what he would be asked to do with the Pats. So why burn a 3rd on someone you can't project might have a decent chance to succeed?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

rochfan, why is Ocho only getting one target a game with that awesome yards per catch?

Why do you draft a guy from a pedestrian offense when you know Brady demands so much to play here?

Why do we have tons of guys w/talent on offense that arent even needed?(Ocho, Edleman, Price, Vareen, etc)  yet they continue to pass over guys who can help our defense? 

Why wouldnt you take Navarro Bowman over Price?  Price, like you said is not needed.

On defense we are a sinking ship, plugging in holes with wr's and guys off the street. We brought in Idebgho, Barret to start?!?!?  These guys couldnt make others teams practice squad?!?

This is what I call not having your priorities straight. I want to read WARROOM now to see what the hell is going on.

B.B. has shown a blatant disregard to upgrade the defense while bringing in everyone possible to help Brady when he has plenty already.

Can you explain why we have a pro bowl reciever on the bench and college level players on defense??

Dont say it wasnt by design because B.B. cut 3 safeties in the offseason who were cheap.

I dont want to say it, but I think B.B. and Brady have done it all and are now trying to be break the mold and win with ONLY Offense.  I have no other explanation and would love to hear anyone elses take.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

To me the issue is about not have quality back ups. On defense and on the offensive line, depth has been a strength of this team. At WR is has been a problem for a while. If Welker were injured do you think that Branch to slide into that role or Ocho or Slater/Edelman/Underwood? Greg Jennings is the Packers leading receiver and plenty of people still expect the Packers to continue winning with him on the sideline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I realize this is blasphamy on this board but here goes.......more and more the problem with developing wide receivers points toward Brady himself.  Let me explain.

Brady excels throwing mid and underneath routes between the numbers in the middle of the field,as well as short out patterns (screen, etc).  In recent years, post injury, he has not had a lot of success throwing patterns that require "NFL throws", deep outs, downfield routes, etc.  Players that run routes that match Brady's strenght (TE's, WW) have success.  Players that run routes outside of Brady's strenght (Branch, Ocho, Tate, Price, Moss) have problems.  It's not a coincidence that the Pats are having problems finding a successful wideout/deep threat as they play to Brady's weakness.

Father time catches up with everyone, even TB.  He's still a premier QB, but unfortunately, he's starting the downside of his career.  Just enjoy his greatness while we can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

sfpat, thats a good point, I actually think Brady has always been average at best throwing the ball downfield.

You have to watch other teams to notice this, but its true.

Like you said, the accuracy in the short to mid range is second to none, but the main reason deep threat isnt here because he wouldnt get the ball.

We had the best downfield WR in the game and still, after 07' the completion rate to Moss deep was maybe 25 %

I can recall countless times that he underthrew Moss for would be TD's

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

rochfan, why is Ocho only getting one target a game with that awesome yards per catch? Why do you draft a guy from a pedestrian offense when you know Brady demands so much to play here? Why do we have tons of guys w/talent on offense that arent even needed?(Ocho, Edleman, Price, Vareen, etc)  yet they continue to pass over guys who can help our defense?  Why wouldnt you take Navarro Bowman over Price?  Price, like you said is not needed. On defense we are a sinking ship, plugging in holes with wr's and guys off the street. We brought in Idebgho, Barret to start?!?!?  These guys couldnt make others teams practice squad?!? This is what I call not having your priorities straight. I want to read WARROOM now to see what the hell is going on. B.B. has shown a blatant disregard to upgrade the defense while bringing in everyone possible to help Brady when he has plenty already. Can you explain why we have a pro bowl reciever on the bench and college level players on defense?? Dont say it wasnt by design because B.B. cut 3 safeties in the offseason who were cheap. I dont want to say it, but I think B.B. and Brady have done it all and are now trying to be break the mold and win with ONLY Offense.  I have no other explanation and would love to hear anyone elses take.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

JayShizzle,
    I agree with you for the most part. The offense has been consistantly solid for recent seasons.. McDaniels and O brien as OC ,TB and cassel at QB. The fact that cassel had a solid season says a decent amount about the scheme and quality of coaching/talent on offense. 2 semi homeruns (draftwise)in gronk and hernandez has allowed the pats offense to morph and change a bit, but be just as productive in most ways. i also believe the offense to be more balanced than people give them credit for. 
    The defense has been the true weak point and most disappointing aspect of the team. Particularly when HC BB is considered a defensive guru. It is always bothrsome to me when the head coaches "side of the ball" is the weak link.
    Not only not good, but one of the worst in the league. You can be mediocre I guess, but don't be last. Major coaching..talent changes on most teams would be the order of the day..Just look at the redskins stats vs NE..one of the worst offenses in the league had one of their best games.
    Pats are turning into a Conference USA team

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

sfpat, thats a good point, I actually think Brady has always been average at best throwing the ball downfield. You have to watch other teams to notice this, but its true. Like you said, the accuracy in the short to mid range is second to none, but the main reason deep threat isnt here because he wouldnt get the ball. We had the best downfield WR in the game and still, after 07' the completion rate to Moss deep was maybe 25 % I can recall countless times that he underthrew Moss for would be TD's
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I actually completely disagree with this.

I think Tom throws a very good deep ball - nice trajectory - excellent timing to it. When he first came into the league, I thought his deep ball had some problems - he wouldn't put enough air under it - kind of lined drived everything. There was a reason why he threw 50 touchdown passes and Moss broke the receiving record, because he is good at it - deep passing percentages are always low (so I'm not sure his were off from the average).  

I remember Bledsoe (who had the stronger arm) really struggling with the deep ball - not the deep outs, but the posts, fly and deep crossing patterns. Ernie Zampese would get guys open deep all the time and Drew would under or over throw them all the time...it was terrible. I would say that Drew had a better deep out throw, but in reality Tom isn't bad there either - the guy can make all the throws. Consistently.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price : Why not just have a roster of 53 WR's then? Me thinks fans over anal ize this too much....
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Yeah, that's a great point. Maybe we should have 53 WRs, and half of them could play safety and CB for us....Best idea I have seen on this board in weeks.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price : We did? What was that: the bring back Moss cry began?

Yes, we did. Look at who the starting receivers were against Baltimore in the playoff game 2 years back when Wes went down. I'll give you a hint..one is no longer here, and the other is a college QB turned WR, turned PR, turned CB. Now that's some serious depth and quality we have at the position. I'm glad we keep dragging the bottom of the sea to come up with late round and UDFA talent to start in playoff games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What's the big deal about not being able to throw a deep pass?  This ain't the AFL.

Queue Russ....

Were you born in 1966, or is that when you started collecting social security?

A deep pass now and again is a good thing. Just like taking your geritol, getting naps in the afternoon and being 1st in the 3:00pm buffet line.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price : Good for whom, the DB that picks it off or knocks it away? I'd be taking NNRTI's were I you.

Yes, because no one has ever completed a deep pass...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I guess you assume Brady can't throw the deep ball like some other people on this board. Or perhaps you are of the mind that the deep ball doesn't matter, or it's too risky? Tell that to Rodgers, and the elite QB/WR tandems in this league that seem to do it week in, week out. The deep ball is a still and will continue to be an important part of this league. HEck, with the rule changes favoring offenses, why wouldn't you want to throw it? At teh very least you should be able to draw a PI call. Best it's a completion/TD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Price : The one "no longer here" had a bad case of Dwayne Boweitis, which is probably why his phone didn't ring this year. Ok, if Boldin and whomever else go down for Baltenbored, who do they have as backups?  And don't say Raymond Berry.

Personally, I don't care to bring Moss back. He's done, fork in him, over.

And, I really don't care who the Ravens have as backups to Boldin. It wouldnt matter all that much because Flacco is just a notch above Sancheeze.

However, if you want to do a fair comparison, look at Rodgers, Brees, EManning and to an extent Rothlisberger. There are more than 2 legit receivers on all of those teams, and most of those teams have 4 startingn caliber WRs. And, I'm not counting TEs either. Add TE's and those teams are stacked.

Given the strength and success of this team rides with Brady, it's up to BB to maximize that position by surrouding him with superior talent..not 3rd rate WRs, or guys too old in teh tooth.

Going into the Baltimore playoff game 2 years ago, it was a disgrace that the only 2 WRs we had were Edleman and Moss. Couple that with a defnese that was gouged for 260 yards rushing, and it's a recipe for disaster.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I actually thought Drew was a good deep passer and struggled with simple things like checkdowns and stuff.

This is why when Brady got in during preseason 2001, I was excited because he kept the chains moving.  Bledsoe had become the pat king. Patting the ball until someone uncovered deep and would take a beating because of it.

I dont know, i have payed close attention to Brady.

I can name atleast 10 guys now who throw a better deep ball and the proof is there so let me know if you want me to dig it up.

Guys like P.Rivers dont complete deep balls at 25% or less. Eli Manning has 30 completions over 20 yards this year. They are all deep passes. Brady's only long completion have come from Gronk and Wes getting yards after the catch.

Guess how many Balls Brady has actually thrown over 40 yards and completed this year. ONE.  Matthew Slater early in the year off playaction.

If he is good at , wouldnt they do it more.  Why would the WHOLE offense be based on an accurate short passing game if he could throw deep.

You: because we dont have a deep threat

Me:touche, but Moss didnt catch many deep balls even in 07. You mention the 50 TD's yes but how many were deep. Remember 2 deep balls early in Miami were jump balls where Moss was covered and the one vs the Jets where Moss outran 3 defenders. Name the other deep passes to Moss out of the 50.

Fact is, alot were fade routes in the endzone like the one in Cincy. Just because Moss scored 23 TD's dont mean they were deep balls.

Sections
Shortcuts