TBC to be released Thursday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

TBC to be released Thursday

Looks like the Pats are going to release him on Thursday

Well that's one release I got right just wrong timeline

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4698229/schefter-banta-cain-to-be-released

Hopefully this means they have a hand shake agreement with Roth or Lawson

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Later TBC

Yeah I feel bad for Killa considering how much of a battle he put up with us on TBC not being released. I though he would be once Roth came in and showed what he could do but 98.5 just reported that TBC will be released on Thursday.

Think this means we can bank on Roth or Lawson coming on board?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

How much will we save in cap space releasing TBC 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: TBC to be released Thursday

Sad news.  TBC was a great contributor last decade.  Hope he has success on an NFC team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Later TBC:
    Doubtful they can afford both in the market. I see Roth as cheaper than Lawson since Lawson may be getting offers from 4-3 teams, and there are more of those. I don't see why he wouldn't want to come here, unless SD or Balt unload a massive deal for him. Dallas seems like a longshot because of their cap situation. What about a cut from another team, too, like a veteran like Shaun Phillips?  They have Larry English, Philips and others, so keep things like that in mind. You get a quality, experienced 3-4 OLB vet and they might in play and possibly cheap because other 3-4 teams either need to keep what they  have or in a cap pinch.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Phillips is interesting but English is a min contract type of player. He is considered a bust in SD (info leaked from within SD) so if he is released I think it would be a prove it deal. Not someone you bring in to replace anyone on the current roster. I did bring up a possible trade of him and Butler because I would like to see what English could do in our system.

I do think Roth is the man they get but Lawson does have an outside shot. I think they grab Roth early (just makes to much sense) and maybe Sims-Walker or Floyd before salaries get out of hand. Smith from the Giants is another interesting possibility since he came out saying he'd take a 1 yr deal. That's the type of high upside contract BB has a hard time turning down. But, I see the Pats only grabbing 1-2 players in FA then they will wait for the Aug 2nd deadline which you'll see a bunch of players released. That's where they might fill up on released vets for the OL/DL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Does the fact that TBC just had surgery complicate releasing him at all?  Is there a stipulation about releasing injured players?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: TBC to be released Thursday:
    Sad news.  TBC was a great contributor last decade.  Hope he has success on an NFC team.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

I think the thing that did him in (other then his cap hit) was that they told him to get his hip checked out and worked on just before the lockout. Instead he wanted and injured it further in player workouts. The cap hit and not listening to the training staff before the lockout is what most likely killed him.

BTW King his cap hit was 4.5mil but I believe they only save 1.9mil if he is released because of the signing bonus. Even still 1.9mil is a good chunk of cash to resign those S's

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Does the fact that TBC just had surgery complicate releasing him at all?  Is there a stipulation about releasing injured players?
    Posted by OscarGamble

The new rules don't offically go into affect until the players ratify it so team are allowed to release players before Thursday regardless of situation and the NFLPA can't say much about it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Isn't it possible TBC comes back at a lower salary? I can't image there being a ton of suitors for TBC, and it's been proven he's best in NE. Maybe the best outcome for both sides is an agreement at a lower salary. Once TBC sees what the market is for his services I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It''s possible Rock but if they wanted to keep him a contract restructure is easier and less risk of another team signing him.

I honestly do think they were angry he didn't take their advice about fixing his hip during the lockout and decided they had better options. Or maybe, they came to him about a restructure and he refused. In either case they'd have to rebuild the bridge which is much more difficult they getting a TBC replacement

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yes, I believe the comment on the cap hit of just less than $2million is correct factoring the sign bonus.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if at some point TBC is back. If something is available to improve the team over the next 5-6 weeks while TBC is out, then the Pats will act. But down the road, if available, I assume TBC could be back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Another guy that could be interesting - if healthy - is Mathias Kiwanuka. Good combination of size and speed and has shown he can get to the quarterback. Can play standing up or hand down. Only concern is health, missed most of last season with a herniated disc but still had 4 sacks in only 3 games

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree but once TBC sees no one wants him he may be willing to come back at a lower (restructured) offer. It happens all the time in negotiations. Either way they probably sign some OLB help.

It''s possible Rock but if they wanted to keep him a contract restructure is easier and less risk of another team signing him. I honestly do think they were angry he didn't take their advice about fixing his hip during the lockout and decided they had better options. Or maybe, they came to him about a restructure and he refused. In either case they'd have to rebuild the bridge which is much more difficult they getting a TBC replacement
    Posted by PatsEng

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Later TBC:
    probably.  Killa will been on suicide watch after his defense of TBC's contract yesterday. 4.5 was too much and he probably didn't want to take less in this market.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

It wasn't just the money. TBC just underwent abdominal surgery...which will likely cause him to miss the entire pre-season: http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-25/sports/29813461_1_lockout-patriots-training-camp 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Maybe TBC can hold the door for Kaczur.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love when Rusty puts words in my mouth, thats just great. For the record I never once defended his contract. All I ever said was that im not so sure Roth would come right in and take his job. Thats it. That was my point. That and that I didnt think TBC would be cut. I didnt say he shouldnt be cut I said I didnt think he would be cut and I was wrong. But i never even talked about his contract other then when I said that they just gave him a new deal last year. With that said, I think he will resign on a smaller contract. He has already done the dance with other teams thing and it didnt work. He knows his best bet is with the Pats so he will resign a fair deal. IMO.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

The one thing that I can say about him resigning a fair deal is that he was tabbed to make 4.5mil this season. They only save 1.9mil if they release him. That means they lost 2.6mil in dead money by releasing him. If it was a simple matter of lowering his pay and bringing him back then a restructure would give them more cap relief then a simple release. It's possible he comes back but it would have to be well below 1.9mil otherwise it was a waste to release him. Anything over 1.9mil means it actually cost them cap space to release then resign him. Do you not think he would make more then 1.9 mil with another team? Him coming back might be more of a long short then not.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by OscarGamble

I don't think such rules apply, until he makes the team. Besides, it's likely that some team, perhaps the Patriots, will sign him at some point during the season.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Isn't it possible TBC comes back at a lower salary? I can't image there being a ton of suitors for TBC, and it's been proven he's best in NE. Maybe the best outcome for both sides is an agreement at a lower salary. Once TBC sees what the market is for his services I wouldn't mind seeing him back.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I was thinking the same thing: who's going to want an injured outside linebacker who might just be a product of the system and whose only good years came with the Patriots

I wouldn't be surprised if TBC signs a one-year deal with the intention of proving himself again and hopefully marketing his services next offseason

Sections
Shortcuts