TE a Position of Strength for 2013 Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: TE a Position of Strength for 2013 Pats?

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fells, Ford, Hoomanawanui, and this new kid Sudfeld may be as good a group of tight ends as most other teams in the league . . . Sudfeld may even beat out Ballard for the 3rd TE position.  If one of Gronk, Hern and Ballard are 100% we will be fine and if two of them are 100% we will be unstoppable.

Yes, two journeymen (with 117 receptions in 101 career games) and two undrafted rookies are a good a group as most other teams in the league. That makes perfect sense. 

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

If Ballard cannot improve on his 2011 numbers or Gronk misses considerable time, the TE position will be the weakest spot on the field for the Patriots.  I just hope Gronk can be healthy for the end of the season and the playoffs. That is all that matters.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Agreed. The Aaron Hernandez mess has really thrown a monkey wrench into BB's preparations for the upcoming season. With Gronk and Ballard still recovering from injuries, the Pats have little at TE. This, in conjunction with their weak WR contingent spells trouble for their passing attack. Perhaps the Pats should consider adding free agent FB Vontae Leach, and become more of a smash mouth running team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to tenace4life's comment:

[QUOTE]

Fells, Ford, Hoomanawanui, and this new kid Sudfeld may be as good a group of tight ends as most other teams in the league . . . Sudfeld may even beat out Ballard for the 3rd TE position.  If one of Gronk, Hern and Ballard are 100% we will be fine and if two of them are 100% we will be unstoppable.

Yes, two journeymen (with 117 receptions in 101 career games) and two undrafted rookies are a good a group as most other teams in the league. That makes perfect sense. 

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

If Ballard cannot improve on his 2011 numbers or Gronk misses considerable time, the TE position will be the weakest spot on the field for the Patriots.  I just hope Gronk can be healthy for the end of the season and the playoffs. That is all that matters.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Agreed. The Aaron Hernandez mess has really thrown a monkey wrench into BB's preparations for the upcoming season. With Gronk and Ballard still recovering from injuries, the Pats have little at TE. This, in conjunction with their weak WR contingent spells trouble for their passing attack. Perhaps the Pats should consider adding free agent FB Vontae Leach, and become more of a smash mouth running team. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all of a sudden, NE is really leaning on having hit a homerun in their free agency/draft moves.

Anyone unconcerned by the severe talent drain on offense, coupled with the fact that they did nothing to augment a defense that just gave up 28 points in back to back playoff games is whistling past the graveyard or has an axe to grind elsewhere.

This could work out if the players they brought in are good, Gronk is healthy up front and they develop chemistry real quick, but for the first time in a while I have real serious doubts about the fate of a NE football season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The heinous actions of AH serve as a betrayal to Bob Kraft, BB, his teammates, and to all of Patriots' Nation. Good riddance.

But now, maybe we can return to talking football Even though his sudden release appears to put the Pats in a bit of a bind, cap-wise, there may yet be an avenue for relief:  

"...Hernandez is still owed $10 million of his $12.5 million signing bonus, but he would not receive any bonuses or salary if he is suspended by the NFL due to a clause in the CBA, according to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

Per Article 4, Section 9 of the CBA, "any player who ... is unavailable to the team due to conduct by him that results in his incarceration ... may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus, and no other salary, for each league year in which a forfeitable breach occurs." http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/25/4463932/aaron-hernandez-investigation-patriots-release

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Losing Hern is huge football wise, there's no getting around that. It's not as if they can plug in [insert name here] and not skip a beat. He was a unique guy and will be missed. But maybe it's my rose colored outlook, I just don't think they'll have huge issues moving the ball and scoring. I would like to see them sign Leach (if he hasn't already signed?), but I would have liked that with/without Hern.

But I expect they will be much better defensively. First, Jones and Hightower are two first rounders entering their second year and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect they'll be substantially better than they were last year. Rookies, other than RBs, are generally useless and those guys were at least decent first year guys. They've added Armstead, AWilson, Kelly, whoever else I'm forgetting plus the rookie draft picks (who I never expect too much out of, just to be safe). There are guys like Bequette, Ras-I and TWilson who still have a chance to be contributors.

The front 7 (or 6 if you want) is pretty solid and I expect they'll pressure the ball better. Talib's health is a big issue, but it's undeniable they played markedly better when he was on the field. Health is always a big variable, but I'm pretty stoked to see the defense play this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Yeah, all of a sudden, NE is really leaning on having hit a homerun in their free agency/draft moves.

Anyone unconcerned by the severe talent drain on offense, coupled with the fact that they did nothing to augment a defense that just gave up 28 points in back to back playoff games is whistling past the graveyard or has an axe to grind elsewhere.

This could work out if the players they brought in are good, Gronk is healthy up front and they develop chemistry real quick, but for the first time in a while I have real serious doubts about the fate of a NE football season.

RESPONSE: Yep...it doesn't look good for the offense. Here are some cold, hard football facts on the subject: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/aaron-hernandez-arrest-latest-blow-for-tom-brady-patriots-offense/23253/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The heinous actions of AH serve as a betrayal to Bob Kraft, BB, his teammates, and to all of Patriots' Nation. Good riddance.

But now, maybe we can return to talking football Even though his sudden release appears to put the Pats in a bit of a bind, cap-wise, there may yet be an avenue for relief:  

"...Hernandez is still owed $10 million of his $12.5 million signing bonus, but he would not receive any bonuses or salary if he is suspended by the NFL due to a clause in the CBA, according to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

Per Article 4, Section 9 of the CBA, "any player who ... is unavailable to the team due to conduct by him that results in his incarceration ... may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus, and no other salary, for each league year in which a forfeitable breach occurs." http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/25/4463932/aaron-hernandez-investigation-patriots-release

1. Christopher PriceChristopher Price @cpriceNFL2m

League source tells me if Hernandez is convicted, the "Patriots will have a very strong case when it comes to recouping money."

Another source says "The NFLPA is going to have a hard time defending against someone involved in a murder and its coverup."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

1. Christopher PriceChristopher Price @cpriceNFL2m

League source tells me if Hernandez is convicted, the "Patriots will have a very strong case when it comes to recouping money."

Another source says "The NFLPA is going to have a hard time defending against someone involved in a murder and its coverup."

RESPONSE: Let's hope so, Rock. I would hate to see the Patriots in essence paying for his legal fees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats are in deep trouble. You can't lose every single offensive weapon, less a hurt Gronk, and expect good things to happen. The rooks better. Get up tp speed quickly.

does anyone think a player acquisition on offense is needed at one of the skill positions?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Pats are in deep trouble. You can't lose every single offensive weapon, less a hurt Gronk, and expect good things to happen. The rooks better. Get up tp speed quickly.

does anyone think a player acquisition on offense is needed at one of the skill positions?

There really aren't any quality players out there. I think it's a "pray for rain" kind of scenario (no pun intended on the Hernandez "Rainmaker" schtick.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: BB certainly has his work cut out for him, this year. Still...I refer you to 2006...when the Pats' offense looked even worse than the 2013 edition. Yet, Brady and BB, but for the league's officials handing the AFC title game to Peyton's Colts, nearly got to the SB. But, Brady was 29 and in his prime back then.  

That said...who might the Patriots add to improve the offense? FB Vonta Leach, and WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Greg Camarillo, WR Braylon Edwards, TE Dallas Clark?

Here's a list of available free agents: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-offense

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

im sure they will have extra money to play with, the question is what position

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dallas Clark an option?: http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/06/could-dallas-clark-be-an-option-for-new-england-2515628.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'd say he certainly is. 

He most closely replicates the skill set Hernandez brought to the table. 

I wouldn't count on him though, as concussions (at his age no less) are tricky to treat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

RESPONSE: BB certainly has his work cut out for him, this year. Still...I refer you to 2006...when the Pats' offense looked even worse than the 2013 edition. Yet, Brady and BB, but for the league's officials handing the AFC title game to Peyton's Colts, nearly got to the SB. But, Brady was 29 and in his prime back then.  

That said...who might the Patriots add to improve the offense? FB Vonta Leach, and WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Greg Camarillo, WR Braylon Edwards, TE Dallas Clark?

Here's a list of available free agents: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-offense

They also had an elite defense still in 2006. It is apples and oranges. 

NE's defense allowed just 237 points that season, so having an offense that only scored 385 points was a lot easier to get along with. 

Sure NE won just as many games and made it just as far last season ... but with a defense that allowed 100 points more and an offense that scored 175 more points. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, that would be one mother of a reclamation project. 

When was the last time Braylon Edwards was relevant? Also he was always more of an athlete than a football player... more a puncher than a boxer. He's had bouts with drops, and seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't fit with what NE does.

Lloyd would give a veteran who knows the system to Brady, but at what cost ... considering NE felt the need to ditch the solid but unspectacular player for reasons unknown?

Greg Camarillo? Is being mentioned because he was a Dolphin? Has been? Never was.

Clark is possible. 

None of the first three reall offset losing Hernandez, but really add to a complicated log jam at WR. 

Clark might add something though. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Maybe we need some perspective on the loss of AH. Last year Hernandez caught 51 passes for 483 yards and 5 TDs. Nice for a second option TE, but hardly irreplaceable. I understand he is a unique type of player, very hard to match up against, etc., but based on production these numbers don't suggest that he is irreplaceable. It needs to be pointed out though, that this was in 10 games.

Dallas Clark caught 47 passes for 435 yards and 4 TDs in 14 games with Tampa, by the way.  Not too far off. Not sure about his health, but it would seem that he might help if they decide to look outside.

Just for fun, Jake Ballard grabbed 38 for 604 and 4 TDs in 14 games in his last year with the NYG. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What about trading for someone? I hate to sound like its desperation time, but the pats have lost almost every receiving weapon from last year, plus, have a few rooks to groom. I don't see the pats offense scoring enough with Brady throwing to amendola, Edelman, Ballard, Jenkins, etc. that group just ain't gonna get it done.

looking around the league, there has got to be a TE, WR that is in their last year of a contract that teams may be willing to part with for a draft pick and/or player? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

Clark an option?

I'd say he certainly is. He most closely replicates the skill set Hernandez brought to the table. 

I wouldn't count on him though, as concussions (at his age no less) are tricky to treat.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: True...but he may be the best of the not so great options for the Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: An elite defense?? Really? With Tully Banta Cain starting at DE...and a bunch of slow, aging LBs? I like their current set of young LBs much better. If he stays healthy, I look for Chandler Jones to have a break-out year. The secondary is improved with Talib. The key will be whether they can get anything positive out of Ras-I Dowling, and their safeties.   

NE's defense allowed just 237 points that season, so having an offense that only scored 385 points was a lot easier to get along with.

RESPONSE: The game has changed quite a bit since 2006. It's more of a wide-open passing league now. 

Sure NE won just as many games and made it just as far last season ... but with a defense that allowed 100 points more and an offense that scored 175 more points. 

RESPONSE: Many the "D" can take up some of the slack? Hey...just trying to be optimistic for a change. LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Run the ball folks....run the ball.....we have some true talent there...let's use em'

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: True.

When was the last time Braylon Edwards was relevant? Also he was always more of an athlete than a football player... more a puncher than a boxer. He's had bouts with drops, and seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't fit with what NE does.

RESPONSE: True again.But, he had some good games against the Patriots. BB remembers these things.

Lloyd would give a veteran who knows the system to Brady, but at what cost ... considering NE felt the need to ditch the solid but unspectacular player for reasons unknown?

RESPONSE: The Pats could probably get him on the cheap...perhaps on a one year deal. He knows the offense, and, with Welker and AH gone, he'll have more opportunities to shine. 

Greg Camarillo? Is being mentioned because he was a Dolphin? Has been? Never was.

RESPONSE: Again...played well against the Pats, before getting hurt, in 2008: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280921017; and http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281123015

Clark is possible.

RESPONSE: Suddenly, the Pats need depth at TE. AH is gone, and they'll likely be without Gronk early. So, such a signing seems to make sense.  

None of the first three reall offset losing Hernandez, but really add to a complicated log jam at WR. Clark might add something though. 

RESPONSE: Nothing will offset the loss of AH...who was a special player. But, something needs to be done. Tom Brady needs more weapons. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

RESPONSE: An elite defense?? Really? With Tully Banta Cain starting at DE...and a bunch of slow, aging LBs? I like their current set of young LBs much better. If he stays healthy, I look for Chandler Jones to have a break-out year. The secondary is improved with Talib. The key will be whether they can get anything positive out of Ras-I Dowling, and their safeties.   

Hmmm. The league hasn't changed that much. I think it's a 1 to 1.5 point differential. That doesn't account for the extra touchdown last year's defense allowed. TBC is fine ... when he is stacked in with that line and that backfield.  

RESPONSE: The game has changed quite a bit since 2006. It's more of a wide-open passing league now. 

Again, not that much has changed. It looks like a lot has changed as you watch NE's defense decay. But NE allowed about 15 ppg in 2006. The Seahawks did just that score last season. It isn't impossible to have a great defense in 2012. 

Even if it were a TD differential, which it isn't, rankings are rankings because they rank you relative to your opponents ... going from #2 to #11 is a drop-off that is palpable. 

RESPONSE: Many the "D" can take up some of the slack? Hey...just trying to be optimistic for a change. LOL!!!

I too am optimistic about Jones ... especially considering that he was supposed to be a late bloomer or project. Inasmuch as he got a reasonably fast start, I'm hoping for big things. 

To be frank ... I'd take a team that only scores 425-50 with a defense that only allows 260 over one that has a 500 point offense and 340 point defense or a team with a crippled 350 point offense and a 225 point defense. 

Having one disfunctional unit on your team is a recipe for failure. Lopsided football is much worse than complementary football, in my opinion. 

Nothing wrong with optimism ... I'm just saying comparing the two is really difficult. The other aspects of the team were much stronger then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

RESPONSE: True.

RESPONSE: True again.But, he had some good games against the Patriots. BB remembers these things.

RESPONSE: The Pats could probably get him on the cheap...perhaps on a one year deal. He knows the offense, and, with Welker and AH gone, he'll have more opportunities to shine. 

RESPONSE: Again...played well against the Pats, before getting hurt, in 2008: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280921017; and http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281123015

Clark is possible.

RESPONSE: Suddenly, the Pats need depth at TE. AH is gone, and they'll likely be without Gronk early. So, such a signing seems to make sense.  

None of the first three reall offset losing Hernandez, but really add to a complicated log jam at WR. Clark might add something though. 

RESPONSE: Nothing will offset the loss of AH...who was a special player. But, something needs to be done. Tom Brady needs more weapons. 

That's kind of what I was hinting at with Camarillo TP -- the Welker or Jones factor. BB does like to add guys who have given him trouble. Even "no-names." The list of guys who've had big games against him also include Lloyd, Ocho, Amendola, etc. 

I think it's because he feels secure after having viewed them as opponents, tried to neutralize them, then failed. It gives you perspective about what a player can do .. I'm sure. 

I still don't think Bray is a Patriot kind of guy, but he has that ability to make a difference. 

At any rate .. part of that reluctance is just that I'd like to see the kids duke it out. 

The size/speed metrics of Sudfeld are more intriguing than trying to eek a year out of a concussion prone Clark. Just letting Dobson make a few mistakes seems better than wasting time on a dead end player like Camarillo. 

Just my 2 cents. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

Dallas Clark an option?: http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/06/could-dallas-clark-be-an-option-for-new-england-2515628.html

I'd say he certainly is.  

He most closely replicates the skill set Hernandez brought to the table. 

[/QUOTE]

I have seen Clark recently - he may now reside in Indy - and I can tell you that he looks good.  He walks well.  I know that may sound silly, but frequently you see older players that have a "questionable" gait whether it be knees or hips.  That didn't seem to be the case with Clark.  I cannot speak to the concussion issue, but that is certainly something to factor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe TexPat's thread deserves a bump.

Sections
Shortcuts