TE Colt Lyerla Worth The Risk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Re: TE Colt Lyerla Worth The Risk?

In response to PhatttVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/02/ex-oregon_te_colt_lyerla_could.html

"INDIANAPOLIS – There was a time when you could bank on the Patriots taking a few risks during their annual quest to find value.

The approach worked wonderfully for a number of years. It led New England to wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard (felony assault), quarterback Ryan Mallett (drugs), and tight end Rob Gronkowski (injuries). But those days of rolling the dice, at least on players with character concerns, could have come to an end last year when Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder.

If the team will, in fact, run from all shades of red flags in the future, it would be an understandable development. Welcomed, even, considering how hard the last flag slapped the Patriots and everyone else around Hernandez in the face. But that could mean missing out on other talented players who have made missteps in the past.

This year's troubled kid on the path to redemption is former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla. Without knowing anything about his past or history, a glance at his game film makes him appear a perfect fit for New England's system. He drags multiple defenders down the field with his 6-foot-4 frame, creating visions of Gronkowski, and takes a handoff out of the backfield and dances his way around the edge like Hernandez once did. On another play, Lyerla has no issue locking up a defensive end at the point of attack.

His talent is real.

"I watched film, what little tape I could get on him from 2012," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's a gifted, gifted kid."

Lyerla looks like the perfect fit for a team that is in need of playmakers at tight end – until you start to read about him. That's when you realize why Lyerla's name is not found on many of the mock drafts or prospect rankings that have recently flooded the Internet.

He was dismissed from the Oregon football team in October for an unspecified issue, and things became worse when Lyerla was arrested weeks later after police witnessed him snorting cocaine in a parking lot. At that moment, the character-issue threshold many NFL teams set was obliterated.

Lyerla spent a night in prison as a result or the arrest and then spent some time working on a road crew. Lyerla will now spend the next two years on probation, but he says he doesn't need that time to get his life right. Hearing the sound of a prison door clinking behind him was enough to make him realize it was time to get his life in order.

"That was huge for me," Lyerla said. "Like I said, it gave me time to self-reflect and realize that's a place I never want to be again."

Lyerla won't go into specifics about what led to his dismissal from Oregon (a source claims the issue began over a dispute over missed time which led to a rift between Lyerla and the coaching staff) or the depths to which he drug use went. Instead, he chalks up some of his issues to general immaturity and negative influences.

To fix that issue, he moved away from his hometown to separate himself from the people, places and things he felt dragged him down. So far, he's managed to stay out of trouble, though it has only been for a few weeks. But he doesn't think that will be an issue moving forward.

Lylerla, who is subject to random drug tests as part of his probation, believes that everything is now going well in his life and is thankful to have faced adversity.

"Getting in trouble probably is the best thing that's happened to me," Lyerla said. "It really put me at a point in place and gave me time to self reflect and just really helped me realize exactly what I want out of life and I need to do to get it."

It's almost certain, however, that Lyerla will not get everything out of life that once appeared guaranteed to him. Before he was dismissed from Oregon, Lyerla was considered to be a first-round talent. Now some believe he could fall to the final rounds of the draft.

One scout who spoke to NFL.com after Lyerla left Oregon went so far as to call him a "bad dude."

"He really struggles when he gets away from a structured environment," the scout said. "In fact, the coaching staff constantly worried about his whereabouts and dealings whenever he was away from campus on extended breaks. Now, I would worry about bringing him into my building, but he is definitely a big-time talent with the potential to become a special player as a pro, if it comes together."

Lyerla understands the doubts. He created them. But he says that he's willing to put in the work, on and off the field, to prove himself.

"I put myself in a position where my back's against the wall, to the point that if I don't do everything perfect and the right way, I won't be able to play football, let alone be successful in any shape or form," he said.

If Lyerla has, in fact, put his demons to bed, whatever team rolls the dice on him could end up with all of that big-time talent and without the headache that is supposed to accompany it."

------

Thought the first part was funny cuz it read like a Patriot rap sheet...lol

[/QUOTE]

id do it in  a heartbeat. with all of the wasted picks over the past few years why not take a chance on him in the fourth round if hes still out there. the patriots drafted tavon wilson jermaine cunningham and ras dowling with second round picks. none of those guys were even talented college players so why not draft someone who can play in the nfl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

If it's a 5th round pick or less i would but nothing more. He has talent but is kind of psycho. Let's see if he can fix himself up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots at least interview him. From there we won't know what BB thinks until draft day. I'm a gambling man and i would bet the farm he tries for Fedorowicz. Just a hunch.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would like the Pats to take 2 Tight Ends in the draft. At the end of the 2nd round I would grab Troy Niklas from Notre Dame. He reminds me a little of Gronk. He is the same exact size and runs very well and blocks well. He Switched from OLB to TE after his freshman year at ND and has only been playing the position full time for one season. Some people might think it's too early to grab him at the end of the 2nd but his stock has been rising and he has some great highlights.

I would grab Lyerla in the 4th round. He would be a good fit in Hernandez role. He was a high school running back and also line up in the back field some at Oregon, similar to Hernandez. It is a gamble taking him but the payoff could be huge if he gets his head on straight. With these two guys and a healthy Gronk it would be a huge upgrade over Hooman and Mulligan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots are choosy about what off-field activities they tolerate:

Vicious fighting?  That's not a character problem, step up and draft them first!

Busted for pot?  Not a character concern.

Alcohol, heroin and coke?  That's an issue.  These guys are often weak, they're addicts.  I see not a dime's worth of difference between the Patriots' evaluation of legal alkies and opiate addicts.  Aaron Hernandez was hoped to be an exception.  Hernandez as a fourth rounder signed for third round money, but with massive penalties built into that first contract.  AHern basically bet the Patriots one million dollars that he could stay clean, and he did for the first two years.  Then his agent got the big contract out of the Krafts, and soon after that the guy went into his angel dust spiral.  BB also took a small chance on an O-lineman who turned in his Oxycontin dealer.  Colt Lyerla gets the same flag because of coke possession, but if he can convince Patriot brass that he's turned it around, maybe he gets a chance as a sixth rounder. 

Punching women?  That's the big Patriots blackball.  No jerks, never, not here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

pick him up in the 6th in a heartbeat!  He is a very talented guy who we could give an incentive based contract with nothing guaranteed.  worth the risk!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Somebody will take him in the 4th or earlier.  Too much talent to slide into the 6th.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I've been saying grab him late for a couple of months now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

NO...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

NO...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I was pretty high on Jace Amaro until watching him in the combine on Saturday.  I was not impressed.  Still think he could turn out to be a pretty good pro TE but again, I was a bit disappointed with how he looked Saturday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

No way Lyerla comes here.

TFB12, ditto on Amaro. Came in overweight, average speed and not very strong looking.

I believe the Pats are looking DE/DT anyway and it will be someone they spend little, if any, time with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft or sign a TE

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't draft or sign a TE

[/QUOTE]

Really?  They currently have Gronk and D J Williams (who?) on the roster.

Hmmmmm.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If you read the above article you will see this one Scouts statement regarding Lyerla.

"He really struggles when he gets away from a structured environment," the scout said. "In fact, the coaching staff constantly worried about his whereabouts and dealings whenever he was away from campus on extended breaks."

Now if you think back to the many reports that came out about AH and one Scouts report regarding AH was darn near the same as the above Scouts statement regarding Lyerla.

Think about that.

BAH...I suppose he would get a look see here....AAH...there is simply no way it happens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Additionally, what about a player like Scott Chandler coming here?
    Decent TE for Buffalo...no?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Additionally, what about a player like Scott Chandler coming here?
    Decent TE for Buffalo...no?

I think so, yeah.  BB has a history of acquiring players that he's very familiar with from within the AFC East and I think he'll be on the radar for sure.  He also comes with Ferentz/Iowa connection.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I thought he would be around a 5th round or later.  He was to come into the combine and light it up.  He didn't.  His stock just dropped some more.  There will probably be a lot of interest in his pro day and he better shine there or he risks not getting drafted at all.  

I believe TE to be a need for the Pats.  It looks like the later rounds so there's some digging to do like in Chandler mentioned above.  Someone who has some upside anyway.

With the 1st pick I'm high on Hageman and Yankey.  The trouble with these guesses is will Hageman be there and you can find OL in later rounds.  FA hasn't got here yet and I haven't gotten familiar with later round prospects yet.  One thing I have noticed is there are sure a lot of head cases in this draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If the guy falls to a round with maximum value BB should absolutely take a flyer on this guy. Why change how he has built his football teams now? 13 years of the most wins in the league with the most afc championship games and super bowls??? Stop taking value risks with the hope a strong locker room and coaching can bring out the best in a young man? I hope not!

I don't think people understand what Belichick has built in this free agency era, cap era NFL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No thanks the guy has as many red flags as Hern had coming out. Call it hindsight, but not sure how long that guy can stay in the league without trouble.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I agree with what you're saying but Hernandez was a risk that looked like a huge payoff. It was for a few years, but it did end up terrible. But a year ago BB looked like a genius. There have been plenty of guys that had red flags character wise that have turned out to be steals. Just on the Patriots we gambled on guys like Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Alfonzo Dennard, Ryan Mallett, Aaron Hernandez, Aqib Talib, come to mind. The only person that was a disaster was Hernandez. And I think the major reason he imploded was that he was right down the road from the gang bangers he grew up with. If he ended up in a place like Seattle or Arizona he might have ended up staying out of trouble. But Lyerla would be on the other side of the country and after the Hernandez debacle the Patriots would smother this guy 24/7.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

WHY DO IT??? If we hadn't just experienced the AHern tragedy, then I would say, "Give the kid a shot if he's down in the draft and lets see where it goes." WE LOST THAT OPTION with AHern. Imagine the worst case scenario with this kid. What would it do to the PATS not just short tem, but long term. You don't go there this soon. Other teams SHOULD!!! And it will likely work out for them, but the PATS??? Its a no win situation. It would be irresponsibile RIGHT NOW for them to not show that they learned from their lessons. We don't have any mulligans left on this issue. People died from our last mulligan. Now, show me a kid that is a year or two removed from any trouble, then we talk......this kid and his recent issues?     C-YA! LIAR-La!!! Even his name has a bad omen built into it! Harsh, I know, but I want whats best for the organizational helth and success of the NE PATS, and that's not unnecessariliy taking such a high risk on having another personnel catastrophy so soon...........Too bad! He might be the real deal! BUT THAT'S WHAT WE/the PATS GET. Simple repercussions for every decision in life......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

The Patriots do need to shore up TE, so, why not pick for value if he's still around during late rounds.  Not sure if TE is the biggest Patriot need though.