TE Daniel Fells in Town - Discussions Underway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

TE Daniel Fells in Town - Discussions Underway

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

From ESPN 

The Pats don't appear to be done dealing either. Rams free-agent tight end Daniel Fells spent the day in New England, and the sides were discussing a deal, a source told Schefter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4977828

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: TE Daniel Fells in Town - Discussions Underway

sounds like just a body for camp. Don't know much on the guy but when you need 2 years to break into the league and only get 21rec for 273yrds on the Rams well that's not saying much. My guess is that if he was signed would be competition for a 3rd TE spot if they sign Crumpler and draft a TE late 2nd or 4th.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Blocking TE, could be a good fit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

21 catches for 273 yards in one season as a Ram,those are good stats! Thats a 10.5 ypc average from a blocking TE. Watson had 29 catches for 404 yards and Baker caught 14 passes last year.If you compare him to Watson and add 8 more catches to his total Big Ben only would have gained an additional 50 over Fells total. Also consider the QB situation of the Rams. Do I think the Patriots will sign him,maybe! More important news as far as TE's are concerned came from the Patriots requesting a private workout from Tony Moeaki of Iowa...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

WHO CARES...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DJMcG. Show DJMcG's posts

Just a "body for camp"? Yeah, stick to playing Madden...

This guy would/will severely upgrade our running game. In case you hadn't noticed, they're completely cleaning house and revamping at TE. Fells is one part, Crumpler may be another.

The Pats don't just throw darts around, man. They bring in people that they think can help them win, keep them locked in the playoffs, and get them back to the Super Bowl.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from djkg. Show djkg's posts

Here is some more info on him per Espn scouting report:

"Fells is a second-year player who the Rams signed off the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad during the season. He finished the season with seven catches for 81 yards. He has good size and is a good overall athlete. He accelerates well into routes and he has good hands as a receiver down field. Fells doesn't have great speed but he is a good route runner who also knows how to avoid downfield contact. He does a good job of making quick adjustments to the ball. He can pick up the ball quickly coming out of breaks. Fells is an adequate blocker who can wall off and sustain in the run game. Not an overpowering guy at the point of attack but his technique should improve as he gains experience. Overall, Fells is an interesting young prospect with good upside."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djkg. Show djkg's posts

In Response to Re: TE Daniel Fells in Town - Discussions Underway:
    I don't know this player whatsoever.  They must be going TE in the draft or waiting on announcing the Olsen deal.  Crumpler and this guy aren't starters.
    Posted by russgriswold

I am hesitant to say Crumpler is done. He has had some pretty weak Quarterbacks throwing his way...and he has been very durable. He probably is not what he used to be, but with Brady throwing to him he could be rejuvenated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@djkg....thanks for that info on Fells.  I never heard of the guy either, but if he can block then he will be useful. 

I dont think Crumpler is done.  I dont know what the obsession is with Olsen.  He is a recieving TE and NE does not use TE's for recieving, just blocking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

@djkg thanks for the info man. I knew nothing about him and couldn't dig up much on anything. Of course playing on the Rams it's hard to get any info on the kid or how he would play.

@DJMcG get off your high horse. You didn't know anything about the kid either so don't act like you did. From the scouting report he doesn't sound anything special although he could be a diamond in the rough but bouncing from the Titans practice squad (which if you didn't notice they love to run the ball so why let a blocking TE with promise go?) to the Rams (Another team built for the running game) doesn't speak wonders for the kid. Like I said I don't know much about him as it seems most here don't and most here are very knowledgable football fans, so before you tell someone to stick to Madden maybe you should do your homework first.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Not only is Fells a very good blocker, but he is emerging as a receiver as well.  He caught 3 long TD passes with the Rams last year, a team with no quarterback.  He's clearly improved every year to go from practice squad to starting, and if he continues to improve, he could be extremely useful to the Patriots offense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Not only is Fells a very good blocker, but he is emerging as a receiver as well.  He caught 3 long TD passes with the Rams last year, a team with no quarterback.  He's clearly improved every year to go from practice squad to starting, and if he continues to improve, he could be extremely useful to the Patriots offense.
    Posted by pyegian

Why don't the Pats have one typical TE for example Ben Watson who can block and is pretty fast and a second TE who is actually a fast OL example SeaBass. The way the Pats use tight ends ,there pass catching skills are not used. So just one TE who can catch would keep the defense honest

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

When I first heard the Pats were bringing in Te's for a look and their names were CRUMPLER & some exRam named FELLS , human nature kicked in and I immediately considered Crumplers to be the viable option between the two . After further review however , I believe that FELLS might just be the keeper .

Below is his game by game beak down and three things I think stand out .

1) He averaged 13 yards a catch ...not bad for a TE ( same as B Watson )
        His longest rec. 's were 23 , 25 , and 36 , so he must have some type of wheels .

2) He scored twice in one game last year (How many Patriots , tight end or otherwise , can claim that distinction ? ) and 3 tds overall on only 21 receptions

Baker :       14 rec  / 10 yard av.  / 2 tds
     B Watson : 29 rec /   13 yard av  / 5 tds

3)He caught 5 passes in a game ... so he must at least have decent hands

The guy seems to have real upside and I'm sure he can be had fairly cheap ( He only made 370 k last week )

Daniel Fells 46 | Tight end

St. Louis Rams

add this
    Add to my favorite players list
    GAME LOG
     RECEIVINGRUSHING
    WKOPPRESULTRECYDSAVGTDLONGFUMRUSHYDSAVGTD
    1@SeahawksL 0-28199.0090000.00
    2@RedskinsL 7-9000.0000000.00
    3PackersL 17-3623517.52190000.00
    4@49ersL 0-3511717.00170000.00
    5VikingsL 10-385459.00141000.00
    6@JaguarsL 20-232115.5070000.00
    7ColtsL 6-42177.0070000.00
    8@LionsW 17-1013636.01360000.00
    9--- BYE WEEK ---
    10SaintsL 23-2835117.00230000.00
    11CardinalsL 13-21000.0000000.00
    12SeahawksL 17-2712525.00250000.00
    13@BearsL 9-17000.0000000.00
    14@TitansL 7-4733210.70130000.00
    15TexansL 13-16155.0050000.00
    16--- OUT ---
    17--- OUT ---
    Average/Total2127313.03360000.00
    POST SEASON GAME LOG
     RECEIVINGRUSHING
    WKOPPRESULTRECYDSAVGTDLONGFUMRUSHYDSAVGTD
    Average/Total000.00 0000.00
    2009 Season
    REC
    YDS
    AVG
    TDS
    Bio
    Ht: 6' 4"  Wt: 270  Age: 26
    Born: 9/23/1983, Anaheim, CA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DJMcG. Show DJMcG's posts

Some of us actually watch this sport, PatsEng. We don't just flop in front of video games and tune in on Sunday's at 1:00pm, tardo...

Some of us have played and coached in this sport. Some of us have the NFL Ticket and multiple TVs and actually DO watch all the games. And when we do, some of us can actually follow more than just where the ball is going...

No, no. You're just the local loudmouth who came here to rattle off the standard armchair "expertise" that these boards revolve around. No knoweldge, but a whole slew of ESPN-stamped cliches.

Just please keep in mind that SOME OF US actually know what the F is going on...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Some of us actually watch this sport, PatsEng. We don't just flop in front of video games and tune in on Sunday's at 1:00pm, tardo... Some of us have played and coached in this sport. Some of us have the NFL Ticket and multiple TVs and actually DO watch all the games. And when we do, some of us can actually follow more than just where the ball is going... No, no. You're just the local loudmouth who came here to rattle off the standard armchair "expertise" that these boards revolve around. No knoweldge, but a whole slew of ESPN-stamped cliches. Just please keep in mind that SOME OF US actually know what the F is going on...
    Posted by DJMcG

All of this and you have let to give your report of the guy? My god why hasn't a team hired you for scouting yet if you know so much? Why don't you enlighten usabout this guy and his finer points? From everything I've seen and dug up he is a decent TE but not a #1 and hasn't proven to be a #2 TE. He has decent prospects of being a blocking TE but that still has to be seen since he has only really played 1 season so far behind a run first style of offense. So it ain't me coming off as the loudmouth know it all but you buddy. Of course if this guy is so good why did REAL NFL teams with run offenses in Titans and Rams so freely willing to pass up on him? He could be a diamond in the rough but for every one of those there are dozens of busts. I'll make a deal with you though if he signs anywhere and becomes a viable starter to any team I'll be more then willing to admit I'm wrong but if he's used as a backup with limited playing time or is signed by the team and dumped after training camp will you come on here and admit the same?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

Something tells me they're going to sign a free agent 'blocking' tight end and then draft a TE.  I've seen it reported that the Pats would consider taking Tim Tebow in the 2nd round and use him as a TE.  That notion interests me but that's probably because it's very unlikely. 

Since we've injected "Madden" techniques into a discussion of real football, imagine 3 QB's on the field.  Brady takes the snap, could throw a backwards pass to Edelman or Tebow who could go deep to Moss.  It'll never happen, but c'mon, admit that would be fun.....  admit it!!!

Sections
Shortcuts