TE Justin Jones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: TE Justin Jones

In response to Homecheese's comment:

Jones size is very attractive but he looks raw for sure. I'm definately keeping my eye on him. Another guy I'm watching is Asa Watson. Wouldn't be suprised if he turned some heads with his pass catching skills

It'd be interesting if they just coached him up for red zone offense only....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

Jones size is very attractive but he looks raw for sure. I'm definately keeping my eye on him. Another guy I'm watching is Asa Watson. Wouldn't be suprised if he turned some heads with his pass catching skills

Thats true. If he can be an effective blocker and an option in the red zone, then he's worth keeping around. I'm suprised his 3 cone numbers are so good, he doesn't look that fast. Must be the long legs. I can't wait to see this guy play

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

Thats true. If he can be an effective blocker and an option in the red zone, then he's worth keeping around. I'm suprised his 3 cone numbers are so good, he doesn't look that fast. Must be the long legs. I can't wait to see this guy play

IMO, red zone offense needs to be improved, especially if Gronk is out of the lineup....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

He has zero shot

3 QB's and a FB means 2 TE's 

It may very well turn out that you are right, about him not making the team, out of camp.  However, I think you are underestimating his chances.  I certainly would give him much more than a "zero shot".  If he continues to show signs of steady improvement throughout the preseason, I could see him making the team.  It wouldn't surprise me, at all.  We'll just have to see how it all shakes out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

In response to Baffle's comment:

If it came down to it... Brandon Bolden or Justin Jones?

Justin Jones.  I like the running back depth just fine.  The tight end depth could be better.

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I guess the question is can he block one, nobody can give us a definitive answer on this.  Posters extolling his goal line virtues understand that if he can't pave the road in front of him then he is only half a tightend and Solder can be the red zone threat this guy can be on the goal as well as clear a wide path.  You have no let down playing Cannon at tackle and declaring Solder an eligible receiver, if anything you become more dangerous on the goal line. Roster spots will be tight, BB has a soft spot for tightends, but we had Smith, Yeatman and other huge TE's and they got cut?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I guess the question is can he block one, nobody can give us a definitive answer on this.  Posters extolling his goal line virtues understand that if he can't pave the road in front of him then he is only half a tightend and Solder can be the red zone threat this guy can be on the goal as well as clear a wide path.  You have no let down playing Cannon at tackle and declaring Solder an eligible receiver, if anything you become more dangerous on the goal line. Roster spots will be tight, BB has a soft spot for tightends, but we had Smith, Yeatman and other huge TE's and they got cut?

very true. Solder has played a lil TE in the past. Not sure if he's putting in any time catching passes lately. Regardless, part of the fun during pre-season is hoping.....lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

"

RICHMOND, Va. — There’s something about Justin Jones. When he’s on the field, you can’t take your eyes off him. Naturally, his massive 6-foot-8, 275-pound frame instantly draws you in.

But there’s also a curiosity factor that’s hard to resist. At that size, the undrafted rookie free agent tight end looks more suited to basketball than football. When you consider how the game has evolved and his potential red-zone capabilities, especially with his 37-inch vertical leap and athleticism, it’s possible for Jones to develop into something pretty special.

Or, he could be nothing more than a tall tease.

Thus far in training camp, he’s made some nice catches in that priceless stretch of real estate spanning from the 20-yard line in, otherwise known as the red zone. He’s also had some noticeable drops.

Of late, with Rob Gronkowski not making the trip for the joint practices with the Redskins, and Michael Hoomanawanui hurt, Jones has seen more reps with the first-team offense. At times, he’s taken advantage and made plays. Other times, like yesterday, he was sent on a penalty lap by coach Bill Belichick for a false start during two-minute drills.

So it’s been a bit of a mixed bag. But there’s certainly been progress as Jones tries to get up to speed with the NFL.

“He didn’t play last year because he was academically ineligible, and to be honest with you, I’m blown away by the opportunity he has right now,” said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, who has been on site watching the joint practice sessions. “With the injury situation at tight end, and the fact he’s in the huddle with Tom Brady, he can never walk away and say he didn’t have a great chance. With a body this big, to his credit, he got himself in shape and lost some weight, and his movement skills looking really good, he just needs to play consistently and work his tail off.”

And Jones knows he’s in an ideal situation. He’s getting mentored by Gronk, having passes thrown to him by Brady, and getting blocking tips from tackles Sebastian Vollmer and Nate Solder. He’ll probably see a ton of time in tomorrow’s preseason opener against the Redskins.

“Right now, I’m just trying to get better, watch the film (from the practice sessions), and learn from it,” Jones said after yesterday’s marathon practice in sweltering heat. “I’m going to do my best to fill in, play my role. I’ve got a good opportunity. So I’m just trying to capitalize on it and make the most of it.”

Mayock called him a bit of an “underachiever” at East Carolina. Jones caught 52 passes in three seasons (12 touchdowns). He didn’t play much of the 2011 season because of injuries and missed all of last season when ECU declared him academically ineligible.

Jones did catch a touchdown pass yesterday during a red-zone drill with Jimmy Garoppolo as the quarterback. He also did quite a bit of blocking with the first unit, as he squashed blitzing safety E.J. Biggers during one sequence. The past two days he hasn’t had any glaring drops.

“Dropped balls are part of training camp. Everyone drops passes. You just can’t dwell on ’em, you can’t focus on ’em. Just play the next play,” Jones said. “It’s getting closer to crunch time now, so everyone is fired up, a little more excited. I wouldn’t say I’m more focused because I’ve been trying to be as focused as I can this entire time. I’m just trying to be more consistent and reliable for my teammates and have Tom know he can trust me out there along with the offensive line and Ryan Mallett and everyone else.”

He’s 22 and sounds like a pretty confident kid. He wasn’t rattled by his earlier drops and knows he has a legitimate shot to make the team. If he plays well, it’ll be hard for the Pats to get a 6-8 tight end through waivers and onto the practice squad.

“I hope to (make the team). That’s all of us rookies’ goal, is to make the team, to stick around,” he said. “Obviously, my eyes are on the prize. The (53-man) roster is something we’re all trying to make, rookie, vet, everybody. Like coach Belichick says, nothing is promised in training camp. There’s injuries, there are people who don’t get the job done. We’re all out here trying to do the best we can.”

Jones was a hoop star in high school, big on rebounds and blocked shots. In the NFL, the red zone awaits. In time, he could come to own it.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/08/justin_jones_sees_red_with_opportunity

"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I haven't seen him play yet, Wozzy, but I read that his blocking technique was awful, but that he's shown remarkable improvement as he's been coached.  That bodes well, since it suggests he not only has physical skills but is coachable and can learn. 

Still, until I see guys play, I don't get too high or too low on them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have watched him a few times to date

He is a poor blocker. He is what he is. I very big move TE that has very good hands and presents a big target. He struggles getting off the line into routes, struggles to get seperation, and runs lazy routes. 

I said it before. He is a move TE that cant move well, and has the size of an in line TE, but doesnt block well.

If the PAts go to 3 TE's, the 3rd TE is not on the roster at this time (assuming Devlin is FB only)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He is a poor blocker. He is what he is. I very big move TE that has very good hands and presents a big target. He struggles getting off the line into routes, struggles to get seperation, and runs lazy routes. 

I said it before. He is a move TE that cant move well, and has the size of an in line TE, but doesnt block well.

If the PAts go to 3 TE's, the 3rd TE is not on the roster at this time (assuming Devlin is FB only)

The third TE last year was Mulligan. That's a really low bar. Without seeing one second of camp, I'm going to guess every TE on the roster is better than he was.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

The third TE last year was Mulligan. That's a really low bar. Without seeing one second of camp, I'm going to guess every TE on the roster is better than he was.

I thought Mulligan did ok as an in line blocker

I would think that Boyce, Finch or one of the OL would be kept over Jones...doesnt have to be a 3rd TE for that roster spot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

This is a crazy thought, for sure....but...

If Garapolo continues to stink, what are the chances we cut him. I have a hard time seeing 3 QB's on the roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

If Garapolo continues to stink, what are the chances we cut him. I have a hard time seeing 3 QB's on the roster.

I'd say slim to none. I think three QBs is almost a forgone conclusion this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I'd say slim to none. I think three QBs is almost a forgone conclusion this year. 

Agree. The only scenario where Jimmy G. - or any 2nd round pick in the league for that matter - is cut before the season starts involves the police and a permanent stay behind bars.

He is a rookie QB, picked to be the backup 2015-2017, with maybe a chance to become the starter after that. You don't cut that after one training camp with inconsistent play. As for Garopolo, if they carry 3 QB's next year, that's when I will start to worry about his progress.

Supra societatem nemo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

No way Quick Draw Jimmy is cut after 1 training camp.  It's a lock that there will be 3 QBs on the roster.  As someone else mentioned, a guy like Bolden (who I really like) could be cut if Finch or one of the other young guys emerge.  Question about Jones though - can he play ST or do anything to justify a roster spot over a guy like Bolden?  If Ridley got hurt I am sure Bolden could fill in and do an adequate job, plus he plays STs.  Could the same be said for Jones filling in for Gronk or any other TE?  Doubtful based on what has been reported of him.  He seems line a niche red zone guy right now - but as others suggest, he needs to be a road grader as well as a receiving threat near the goal line.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Zero. That guy has a better chance of making the team than Tom Brady.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can see us carrying 2 TE's but really is that very wise? Since Gronk can't stay healthy it's essentially like us carrying 1.5 TE's on the roster. Once the season starts you aren't going to get anything better than Mulligan off the street. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, feel comfortable with only having Hooman on the roster knowing Gronks health history? It's not like they have great WR's and can spread it out every down. I think they need to carry at least 3 TE's because of Gronk's injury history and Devlin or a backup OL shouldn't be that 3rd emergency TE.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I can see us carrying 2 TE's but really is that very wise? Since Gronk can't stay healthy it's essentially like us carrying 1.5 TE's on the roster. Once the season starts you aren't going to get anything better than Mulligan off the street. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, feel comfortable with only having Hooman on the roster knowing Gronks health history? It's not like they have great WR's and can spread it out every down. I think they need to carry at least 3 TE's because of Gronk's injury history and Devlin or a backup OL shouldn't be that 3rd emergency TE.

Devlin c/b the 3rd blocking TE

lots of 4 wr formations

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Oh, I totally agree with you on this. Anytime you can get a big body in the middle of the field causing mismatches then I want that for sure!  Hooman doesn't do that. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Btw, did anyone else see that Ballard has officially retired. Lol!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Devlin c/b the 3rd blocking TE

lots of 4 wr formations

[object HTMLDivElement]

If Gronk didn't have the injury history I'd have no problem with that but he does. Devlin is a good lead blocker but I just don't see him as a inline blocker nor as a pass catcher. Losing Gronk is 2 fold in that manner. I'd be much more comfortable with a full time TE that can either catch passes (using Hooman as a blocker) or as a more experienced inline blocker than Devlin (I'm including college too). It's one of those things with me. When you have a player who's known to get injured every year you need more depth behind them. When you have a player who is a 15-16 game a year player you can go a bit thin and use a swing player to save a roster spot. Yes injures can happen to anyone but some people just seem more prone to it so why not plan towards that when you have a clear history of it happening?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I saw that coming last summer. Too bad. Good guy. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I kniow Gronk has been hurt  and we have missed him

but JClast years dirty hit would have taken out any and every player who plays anywhere

Now, will he get all the way back? that is a legit quesation , but I am not going to get worked up ove him being a player who is crinically injured   imo

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Saw that.  Really a shame.  Guy was probably never going to be an all-pro but had the potential for a successful NFL career.  Only 26.

Sections
Shortcuts