TE on the roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

TE on the roster?

Cant link, so here is the text;

NEPD Editor: Oliver Thomas

The New England Patriots head into voluntary offseason workouts with a roster of 64 names.

Three of whom are listed as tight ends.

The select group is indeed headlined by two-time All-Pro Rob Gronkowski, who is on the road to recovery from ACL and MCL tears suffered in December. Second in command is 25-year-old utility man Michael Hoomanawanui, who’s back with the team on a two-year deal after making 10 starts in 2013. And rounding out the list is 6’2”, 245-pound flex target D.J. Williams, who was signed, cut and re-signed to play two Patriots games last season.

It’s a group that carries a bit of everything – a prolific seam-stretching “Y”, a versatile blocker-slash-special-teamer, and an “F” receiver on his third team in two seasons. It’s also a group surrounded by question marks, given Gronkowski’s prognosis and fact that his understudies have combined for 46 receptions in 78 regular-season games.

But it is a group head coach Bill Belichick and Co. stuck with through the height of free agency, even after veteran Owen Daniels visited, even after 2013 No. 3 option Matthew Mulligan departed for the Chicago Bears.

As the 2014 NFL draft draws near, however, the group should soon look different. New England has been widely forecasted to bolster the tight end position. And for what it’s worth, Texas Tech’s Jace Amaro, Notre Dame’s Troy Niklas, Washington’s Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Iowa’s C.J. Fiedorowicz, Colorado State’s Crockett Gillmore, Fresno State’s Marcel Jensen, California’s Richard Rodgers and Virginia Tech’s D.J. Coles have all had their names linked.

Yet while all signs point towards the Patriots adding a fourth, a fifth or even a sixth name to the tight end depth chart this May, there’s an outside possibility that an in-house name could also join them.

Second-year wide receiver Mark Harrison.

It was an idea that seemed to gain steam late last season, long after the Rutgers product went undrafted when he fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot, long after he failed his physical with the Chicago Bears, and long after he was placed on the non-football injury list by the Patriots.

And when ESPNBoston.com’s Mike Reiss revealed that at least one other NFL team viewed Harrison as more of a “Move” tight end than a receiver during the pre-draft process, it seemed all the more conceivable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Re: TE on the roster?

Little light for a TE at 228-230 but if he can put on 15-20 pounds and still keep his 40 time under 4.5 he would be a potential force.  Fell from a starting position at Rutgers after his sophomore year because of the "drops" and I'm not too sure how Tom will warm up to someone with that reputation!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I mean stranger things have happened, the kid is tall and made some big plays in college, but it looked like he never ran the type of stuff he would run in our complex offense. He doesn't look all that quick too me either, which makes me wonder how he'd do with an added 15 pounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I don't see Williams making the team and that better be because we draft a legit TE threat to groom along side Gronk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah not seeing it. The issue is even with joker TE's they still have to occasionally line up on the line and will have to on occasion block on said line. I know Harrison is suppose to be a good blocking WR but blocking in the open field and on the line are two different things entirely. Not to mention reports are that he's having issues grasping the Pats O. Now you don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a TE but if you don't have the years of experience needed to instinctively know when to release and when to pick up blockers then you are going to make mistakes and the QB is going to pay heavily for it. Heck Hern in his first couple years had issues in blocking duties and he had been doing it for much longer than Harrison. Just because he has some size doesn't mean he can move right into the position. If anything I see him more as a large possession type. If he could run basic routes I could see him as a Roy Williams or Reggie Williams type.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Sections
Shortcuts