TE, S, or DL/OL Most Important Need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

TE, S, or DL/OL Most Important Need?

http://nesn.com/2014/03/vote-which-is-the-bigger-offseason-priority-for-patriots-tight-end-or-safety/

"The New England Patriots struggled to deliver in 2013, enduring 20 injuries to key players throughout the regular season and a devastating 26-16 loss to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship. Now the Patriots must turn their attention to the future of the team and decide which positions have the most gaps to fill during the offseason. The Pats opened the 2013 season with a wealth of versatile safeties, including Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, and Duron Harmon, but veteran Adrian Wilson, who was out all season with an achilles injury, is still uncertain if he can return for the 2014 season. With the recent release of safety Steve Gregory, the Patriots could afford to build more depth at the safety position through free agency or the NFL Draft. Quarterback Tom Brady took the field by storm last year with his No. 1 passing target, record-breaking tight end Rob Gronkowski, until Gronk suffered a season-ending torn ACL in December that visibly rattled both the Pats’ offensive and defensive lines. While Brady and other New England veterans commended tight ends Matthew Mulligan, DJ Williams, and Michael Hoomanawanui for their blocks and catches, Gronk’s absence from the Patriots was evident in the team’s drop from 32 to 24.4 points per game. Which position do you think the Patriots should prioritize in this offseason: tight end or safety? Vote in the poll below.

-----

you can vote at:

http://nesn.com/2014/03/vote-which-is-the-bigger-offseason-priority-for-patriots-tight-end-or-safety/

The voting was only for S and TE.  TE is thought to be more important 67% vs. 33%

imo, the order is OL/DL, S, and then TE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: TE, S, or DL/OL Most Important Need?

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The New England Patriots struggled to deliver in 2013, enduring 20 injuries to key players throughout the regular season and a devastating 26-16 loss to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship. Now the Patriots must turn their attention to the future of the team and decide which positions have the most gaps to fill during the offseason. The Pats opened the 2013 season with a wealth of versatile safeties, including Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, and Duron Harmon, but veteran Adrian Wilson, who was out all season with an achilles injury, is still uncertain if he can return for the 2014 season. With the recent release of safety Steve Gregory, the Patriots could afford to build more depth at the safety position through free agency or the NFL Draft. Quarterback Tom Brady took the field by storm last year with his No. 1 passing target, record-breaking tight end Rob Gronkowski, until Gronk suffered a season-ending torn ACL in December that visibly rattled both the Pats’ offensive and defensive lines. While Brady and other New England veterans commended tight ends Matthew Mulligan, DJ Williams, and Michael Hoomanawanui for their blocks and catches, Gronk’s absence from the Patriots was evident in the team’s drop from 32 to 24.4 points per game. Which position do you think the Patriots should prioritize in this offseason: tight end or safety? Vote in the poll below.

-----

you can vote at:

The voting was only for S and TE.  TE is thought to be more important 67% vs. 33%

imo, the order is OL/DL, S, and then TE.

[/QUOTE]

We don't know what's happening with big Vince.  We could lose him just to injury. We had no pass rush last year we needed DL help last year, I certainly was screaming for DL and ill scream for it this draft 

DL,S,TE,C,PK

i say PK cause we can get a good one with a supplemental draft pick. Although SG had a good season he has had streaks where he made me nervous. competition cost mesko his job. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

It seems BB makes decisions based on the following;

-signs his own free agents= franchise cornerstones and building blocks

-signs other teams free agents=stop gap 1-2 years decisions

-draft choices=not expected to contribute immediately, more with an eye towards years 2,3,4

I would think Talib and a lower cost free agent are signed in free agency

I would think a mid cost DE is signed in free agency

I would think an interior OL is drafted

I would think an interior DL is drafted

I would think a TE is drafted and a mid cost TE is signed in free agency

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

They need all 4....

1. Big safety....we haven't had any fear factor back there in a long time.

2. DL - no pash rush = our secondary looking worse than it is.

3. OL - skill players don't mean jack without a win in the trenches.

4. TE - Gronk will be back, just try to get another in the 3rd or 4th round.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess I buy into the old chestnut that it all starts with the line, so I'd lean toward DT first, then OG/C second.  That said, Gronk is injured and both Hoomanawanui and Mulligan are free agents, so we really don't have a healthy TE on the roster other than the immortal DJ Williams. 

I'd put safety in the next tier of priorities, along with corner (which may be more important than safety if we don't re-sign Talib) and WR.  

Nice to haves include another LB (actually with Spikes and Fletcher both free agents, this is maybe a necessity), another DE/edge player, and a back-up RB (could be filled by re-signing Blount or Bolden). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I love offense as much as the next guy, but constant long drives by the other team's slightly above average quarterback kill me.

Get that line fixed and maybe even get someone to actually pressure the QB once in a while.  It's been long enough.  Does Bruce Smith have any sons?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

The needs are really hard to judge, because they are depending on the health and progress of some of the players already on the team. Is Wilfork coming back healthy? Is Kelly? Will Armstead be healthy and able to contribute. Is the Dobson foot-injury serious? Will he and Boyce take a "year 2 leap"? When will Gronk be ready? Is Harmon ready to be a starter at S?

The most obvious need is at TE, where Gronk and some guy named Williams currently are the only players on the roster. Something will happen here, either in FA or through the draft - or both. Maybe Hooman gets another shot, but they need a pass-catcher at the position. Scott Chandler from the Bills has been mentioned as a possible pick up.

CB. They need Talib. There is no way around it. Maybe they can get a bargain because of his history of injuries, suspensions and because he knows he is in a good place, but that said, I believe the team needs him more than the other way around. We all know Revis will not end here, and the difference on the D with and without Talib is night and day. We all saw it. Can they get by without him. Sure. But with him the secondary has a chance to be dominant, as we saw last year before all the injuries started raining down.

S. I don't believe they feel set at that position at all. I think they will start DMC and Harmon, with A. Wilson a dark horse. T.Wilson may stick on the team for another year, but we won't see much of him as a S. I think they'll go with a Gregory type/mid tier veteran in FA.

OL. C and RG need to be upgraded. Bye-bye to Wendell, draft a C, and let Cannon and Connolly compete for the starting spot at RG.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Most important need.....lower ticket prices, and better beer

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If I had to put priorities on them it would go:

1. DL - you can resign Talib and have him be 100% healthy but unless you are getting pressure on the QB it's all for not. D starts at the line and travels outward. Without a strong line every secondary will eventually fall apart so this is a major fix imo. Without Wilfork and Kelly we dropped to the 2nd worst run D in the league and a bottom half pass D. It needs to be better and with both of them a year older coming off of major injures we need youth and talent
    2. TE - I understand Brady needs protection but he needs someone to throw to too. Gronk is still a question mark and there really isn't anyone Brady trusts right now to get the ball to. He needs a big body who can reliable stay in to protect him if their is a blitz or give him a target to throw to when we need the yards. Put it this way, without Gronk we were one of the worst RZ teams in the league. That needs to be fixed.
    3. OL - Once Brady has someone he can get the ball to you have to give him time to take a chance down field every so often. Forcing teams to account for a TE will help but adding additional strength to the interior OL is needed.
    4. S - A SS is need badly but those first 3 are bigger holes imo. What we need is a SS who can plug holes against the run, shoot gaps every so often, and cover larger TE's and RB's. I don't expect them to cover the fast slot guys or even the quick TE's in the league (that's what McCourty is for) but they need to lay a hit on anyone who comes across the middle and hold there own on larger guys that have traditionally given the Pats fits.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The needs are really hard to judge, because they are depending on the health and progress of some of the players already on the team. Is Wilfork coming back healthy? Is Kelly? Will Armstead be healthy and able to contribute. Is the Dobson foot-injury serious? Will he and Boyce take a "year 2 leap"? When will Gronk be ready? Is Harmon ready to be a starter at S?

The most obvious need is at TE, where Gronk and some guy named Williams currently are the only players on the roster. Something will happen here, either in FA or through the draft - or both. Maybe Hooman gets another shot, but they need a pass-catcher at the position. Scott Chandler from the Bills has been mentioned as a possible pick up.

CB. They need Talib. There is no way around it. Maybe they can get a bargain because of his history of injuries, suspensions and because he knows he is in a good place, but that said, I believe the team needs him more than the other way around. We all know Revis will not end here, and the difference on the D with and without Talib is night and day. We all saw it. Can they get by without him. Sure. But with him the secondary has a chance to be dominant, as we saw last year before all the injuries started raining down.

S. I don't believe they feel set at that position at all. I think they will start DMC and Harmon, with A. Wilson a dark horse. T.Wilson may stick on the team for another year, but we won't see much of him as a S. I think they'll go with a Gregory type/mid tier veteran in FA.

OL. C and RG need to be upgraded. Bye-bye to Wendell, draft a C, and let Cannon and Connolly compete for the starting spot at RG.

[/QUOTE]

They would also need Talib to stay healthy, there's no other way around it, which he can't so to me he's expendable. What they really need is a reliable #1 CB who might not be shut down but will be there 16 games a season and play full games in the playoffs and I don't think Talib is that person.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I won't argue about the ticket prices, but that Newport Storm Amber Ale they sell is pretty good.  The beer prices, however, are another story altogether . . . $12 dollars????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt about that ticket prices will go down....unless the Patriots start losing and noone wants to go to games anymore.  It's not byob?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I had to put priorities on them it would go:

1. DL - you can resign Talib and have him be 100% healthy but unless you are getting pressure on the QB it's all for not. D starts at the line and travels outward. Without a strong line every secondary will eventually fall apart so this is a major fix imo. Without Wilfork and Kelly we dropped to the 2nd worst run D in the league and a bottom half pass D. It needs to be better and with both of them a year older coming off of major injures we need youth and talent
    2. TE - I understand Brady needs protection but he needs someone to throw to too. Gronk is still a question mark and there really isn't anyone Brady trusts right now to get the ball to. He needs a big body who can reliable stay in to protect him if their is a blitz or give him a target to throw to when we need the yards. Put it this way, without Gronk we were one of the worst RZ teams in the league. That needs to be fixed.
    3. OL - Once Brady has someone he can get the ball to you have to give him time to take a chance down field every so often. Forcing teams to account for a TE will help but adding additional strength to the interior OL is needed.
    4. S - A SS is need badly but those first 3 are bigger holes imo. What we need is a SS who can plug holes against the run, shoot gaps every so often, and cover larger TE's and RB's. I don't expect them to cover the fast slot guys or even the quick TE's in the league (that's what McCourty is for) but they need to lay a hit on anyone who comes across the middle and hold there own on larger guys that have traditionally given the Pats fits.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with how these are prioritized. However, I might put cb/s over OL. It seems we have a decent stable of OL talent on this team as backups and ps players. Are these guys legit?dont know but they seems to be decent enough. I think the vollmer injury had ripple effects. With him healthy, is cannon good enough to take over for Connolly? If so, I might put C as a priority, with OG coming late in the drFt or FA as a lower priority.

TE and WR worry me almost as much as DL. I feel like with everything we did last year, amendola plus drafting 2 rooks, Edelman an FA,  we still have big question marks.

I don't see any TE I would sign up in FA other than a team friendly hooman. He's not bad for a 3rd TE option. 

who do you have on the FA/draft DL and TE lists That are possible targets given the priority? I am talking quality players given the big need, not the latter round fodder or over the hill vets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with how these are prioritized. However, I might put cb/s over OL. It seems we have a decent stable of OL talent on this team as backups and ps players. Are these guys legit?dont know but they seems to be decent enough. I think the vollmer injury had ripple effects. With him healthy, is cannon good enough to take over for Connolly? If so, I might put C as a priority, with OG coming late in the drFt or FA as a lower priority.

TE and WR worry me almost as much as DL. I feel like with everything we did last year, amendola plus drafting 2 rooks, Edelman an FA,  we still have big question marks.

I don't see any TE I would sign up in FA other than a team friendly hooman. He's not bad for a 3rd TE option. 

who do you have on the FA/draft DL and TE lists That are possible targets given the priority? I am talking quality players given the big need, not the latter round fodder or over the hill vets.

[/QUOTE]

I have mostly 1st and 2nd rounders.

At DT:

Louis Nix ND

Ra'Shede Hageman Minn

Ego Furgerson LSU

DaQuan Jones Penn (O'Brien connection)

At TE:

Jace Aramo TT

Troy Niklas ND

CJ Fiedorowicz Iowa (Hern broth connection and fastest 3 cone for TE's name to watch)

Joe Dun Duncan (late round small school prospect if they want to double dip high upside)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have mostly 1st and 2nd rounders.

At DT:

Louis Nix ND

Ra'Shede Hageman Minn

Ego Furgerson LSU

DaQuan Jones Penn (O'Brien connection)

At TE:

Jace Aramo TT

Troy Niklas ND

CJ Fiedorowicz Iowa (Hern broth connection and fastest 3 cone for TE's name to watch)

Joe Dun Duncan (late round small school prospect if they want to double dip high upside)

[/QUOTE]

Nice. Those are the college kids. Any feelings on FA? Should we assume 1 of vw or Kelly won't be here? I think we need a starting DT and a starting TE.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclejack02130. Show unclejack02130's posts

I looked back at a sample of games from the past 3 years, all else aside the one constant is total lack of pass rush, time and time again medicore qbs look like world beaters against that D, seems to me you can have Talib even Revis back there but given enough time an NFL QB is going to find someone open and we've all seen it time and again.  It's also interesting looking back at how far Vince has fallen espicially early last year if you look carefully you can see him easily handled on many plays and quite frankly giving what appears to be very little effort on others, dont know the reason why, but guys his size (at least 360) seem to hit the wall all of sudden-looks like he is there.  for me I would go first pick best DL on the board, 2nd round TE, the quy from ND looks good and for crying out loud get Jared Allen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Nice. Those are the college kids. Any feelings on FA? Should we assume 1 of vw or Kelly won't be here? I think we need a starting DT and a starting TE.

[/QUOTE]

FA is a bit tricky because BB just doesn't spend. I'm not talking about top 3 money either I'm talking about middle of the road money for starters. He won't pay a single FA more than what the bottom 15-30 gets every year so it's hard to figure out who will actually fit into that mold because it's mostly second market players no other team wants. If I had my choice:

Author Jones, Red Bryant, Micheal Bennett, Micheal Johnson, Lamar Houston, Linval Joseph, Henry Melton

But all those guys you are looking at $5-10mil range and I'm not sure BB will pay any of that.

Might be looking more towards Jonathan Babineaux type of player. Aging player who holds there own but generally doesn't show up much on the state sheet. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FA is a bit tricky because BB just doesn't spend. I'm not talking about top 3 money either I'm talking about middle of the road money for starters. He won't pay a single FA more than what the bottom 15-30 gets every year so it's hard to figure out who will actually fit into that mold because it's mostly second market players no other team wants. If I had my choice:

Author Jones, Red Bryant, Micheal Bennett, Micheal Johnson, Lamar Houston, Linval Joseph, Henry Melton

But all those guys you are looking at $5-10mil range and I'm not sure BB will pay any of that.

Might be looking more towards Jonathan Babineaux type of player. Aging player who holds there own but generally doesn't show up much on the state sheet. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand, but he has to do something. Best case vw returns at a decently high level, but I don't think it will be opening day. We can't start the season with cjones, vellano and siliga again. He needs to spend. 

I am going to throw out the DEs / hybrids you listed above because I think we need interior DL first. Of that group Arthur jones seems like a good fit. If we got him plus drafted a kid like Hegeman, Nix or Furgeson we would be good with cjones, siliga, armstead as backups, maybe waiting til week 6-8 for Vw If he can return.

a line of nink, Hegeman, ajones, chandler jones isn't too bad. Get the TE in round 2 via trade up. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

First I want to go on record as saying last years loss in the AFCCg was NOT a devastating loss. With all the freak injuries suffered by the Pats last year, it was a miracle that they made it that far.

I would go DL, OL, Safety, then any offensive player. The O is fine as long as Brady isn't running for his life. He's made tight ends like Wiggy and Fauria more than serviceable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Pats should go OL or DL first...depending on whose available at #29. Games are still won or lost in the trenches. But, my guess is that BB will look to trade down out of #29, and make a draft trade similar to what he pulled off last year with the Vikings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I love offense as much as the next guy, but constant long drives by the other team's slightly above average quarterback kill me.

Get that line fixed and maybe even get someone to actually pressure the QB once in a while.  It's been long enough.  Does Bruce Smith have any sons?

Based on some of the players on the field at points last year I would even ask if Bruce Smith has any daughters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I looked at the leading sentence of this article and that told the story of 2013 more than personnel needs: The New England Patriots struggled to deliver in 2013, enduring 20 injuries to key players throughout the regular season and a devastating 26-16 loss to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship.

One can only surmise how the season would have gone if the team hadn't lost so many of these key players, having Gronk healthy at the end, Talib healthy in the AFCCG etc..  It appears the team did surprisngly well with all those new bodies constantly going in and out as the injuries mounted.  There is no way a team can stockpile players in the event of injuries.  IMHO, it appeared the key players were in place to begin the 2013 season and injuries derailed the train more than anything else.  Do we always want to see better players on the team, of course, what fan wouldn't?  Anyway, to the OP's question:

#1 - Add a pressure DL to the mix, something the Pats missed a lot.  As Not-A-Shot said, it was killing us all that even the most pedestrian of QBs had a field day against the Pats.

#2 - Add a HARD hitting S/DB to the mix.  Who scares anyone now in the Pats DB?

#3 - A TE who can be impactful in a game.  With Gronk out, the Pats had nothing in the TE position for the opponent to defend.

#4 - Have the ENTIRE defense learn how to tackle and hit HARD!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

#1 - Add a pressure DL to the mix, something the Pats missed a lot.  As Not-A-Shot said, it was killing us all that even the most pedestrian of QBs had a field day against the Pats.

#2 - Add a HARD hitting S/DB to the mix.  Who scares anyone now in the Pats DB?

#3 - A TE who can be impactful in a game.  With Gronk out, the Pats had nothing in the TE position for the opponent to defend.

#4 - Have the ENTIRE defense learn how to tackle and hit HARD!

[/QUOTE]

^this Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The way I see it, all 4 are high priority needs.  However the question is of those, which is the more important need.   In order of priority:

1 - SS - It is my view that McC is an excellent FS.  Should he be paired with a bone-jarring SS that will make for a combination that will significantly improve the NE D;

2 - DL - This is by no means a distant second in priority.  A DT that will demand the attention of more than one blocker and who will eventually replace VW will help both the Pats run and pass D

3 - OL - Close to being tied for second we need to bolster the interior of that OL to the extent that it can truly control the LOS.

4 - TE - Either through the draft or free agency it is no secret that the Pats need depth at this position.

All of the foregoing being said BB will draft the player he believes can most help his team if not now then in the near future.  He's moved up for a player he values and moves down if he doesn't see a good fit for his team worthy of the pick he has available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I have changed my view on this a bit. Our defense was pretty good last year without its 2 best players. As long as we make a play for a CB who can battle for that #1 or #2 spot(or re sign talib) our defense improves by default. I do want a space eating DT in the 1st round to replace VW long term.  But in order of importance I would now go...

#1 TE. Let's face it, we are a short to mid field offense built around versatile TE's who can line up all over the field or step closer to the line to pave the way in the ground game. Right now we have none of them due to shtty luck.

#2 depth on the d line. Whether it is a 290 pound DE who can hold the edge, get after the qb on occasion and move inside iif needed, or a 330 pound DT/ NT we need some fresh bodies and more depth.(although I think Siligia plays a large role this year)

#3 Find an impact guard or impact center. 1 or the other. Mankins is a year older and we battle injuries every year.  Get some youth.

#4 Find a veteran SS who can battle Harmon for a starter role or at least fill the in the box void left by adrian wilsons achilles injury. (How about moving Peanut Tillman a great play making tackling CB to safety and extending his career a bit)

Sections
Shortcuts