TE Thomas traded to Saints

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

TE Thomas traded to Saints

For a 7 th rd draft pick,Also LB Lenon released.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: TE Thomas traded to Saints

In Response to TE Thomas traded to Saints:
    [QUOTE]For a 2011 undisclosed draft pick,Also LB Lenon released.We also aquired TE Michael Mitchell from the Giants.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]im surprised.we also got matthews a te from the giants for a 2011 draft pick,and the pats released alex smith.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

[QUOTE]For a 2011 undisclosed draft pick
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]that makes sense. was assumg it would b eags. BB just wasnt ever sold on him esp after that hit last week. if i were their nutcase ex-giant TE, i would b a bit nervous. he likes smith again, i dont put stock in preseason games unlesss the guy is just patently awful like walter was. about health, work ethic and how they practice. smith apparently has been fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

surprised. he showed the most growth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: TE Thomas traded to Saints:
    [QUOTE]In Response to TE Thomas traded to Saints : that makes sense. was assumg it would b eags. BB just wasnt ever sold on him esp after that hit last week. if i were their nutcase ex-giant TE, i would b a bit nervous. he likes smith again, i dont put stock in preseason games unlesss the guy is just patently awful like walter was. about health, work ethic and how they practice. smith apparently has been fine.
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

You mean Alex Smith? Its being reported he was released.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

Not sure about this one.  I thought Watson was a gonner reading Reese's pieces.  They must have been showcasing Wright for NO on Thursday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I thought he would be worth more then a 7th rounder...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I thought he would be worth more then a 7th rounder...
    Posted by Payment84[/QUOTE]

I did, also. I think he could thrive with Drew Brees as a pass receiving type...a poor man's Keller, Cooley, Dallas Smith. Worth more than a 7.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

The Saints already have the all-show, no-go Shockey and Billy Miller, who was a decent pass-catching option when he was with the Texans, but just went on IR with a blown knee...hence the need

Thomas will be buried behind a wealth of pass-catching talent in NO, pending a Shockey injury, which is why he only was worth a 7th.....Colston, Moore, Meacham, Bush, Shockey, etc..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

I never understood the trade for a 7th round pick thing.  You really don't get any more insignificant then a 7th round player.  7th round / Undrafted Free Agent, same F'in thing.

Why not just cut the guy if you can't get 5th round or greater value for them?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

[QUOTE]For a 7 th rd draft pick,Also LB Lenon released.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

I thought Thomas was going to be their fillin FB ?  I don't really see any of the other TE's doing it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]I never understood the trade for a 7th round pick thing.  You really don't get any more insignificant then a 7th round player.  7th round / Undrafted Free Agent, same F'in thing. Why not just cut the guy if you can't get 5th round or greater value for them?
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

7th rounder means you do not have to compete. If you are drafted you have to go to that team. If you want a FA, the FA is free to chose which team he wants. So ideally if you knew every rookie that you want, you would draft them in the 7th round to pay the least but guarantee you do not lose them to another team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I said in another thread I would have kept Thomas and either traded or released Watson.  I can understand getting a good blocking TE.   Matthews may fit that role.  But when it came down to Watson or Thomas,  I like Thomas.  Still think Watson's a bust. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

[QUOTE]I thought he would be worth more then a 7th rounder...
    Posted by Payment84[/QUOTE]

But on cut-down day? Yes, the Saints are way down thewaiver-wire pecking order and couldn't be assured of Thomas slipping to them...  but in many ways it's a gift to get anything for a player on cut-down day, let alone getting "market value."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

[QUOTE]I never understood the trade for a 7th round pick thing.  You really don't get any more insignificant then a 7th round player.  7th round / Undrafted Free Agent, same F'in thing. Why not just cut the guy if you can't get 5th round or greater value for them?
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Because BB will trade the 7th for a 6th in 2011, which he will trade for a 5th in 2012, and by 2016 it will be a first rounder. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: TE Thomas traded to Saints : Because BB will trade the 7th for a 6th in 2011, which he will trade for a 5th in 2012, and by 2016 it will be a first rounder. 
    Posted by cool-hand-luke[/QUOTE]

LOL,  your probably right C-H-L.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Belichick never ceases to amaze me. Most of the time I say "wow, what a brilliant move", this time I say "Wow I didn't see that coming down the way it did."

Trading Thomas is not as suprising as you might think because Belichick likes the Physicality Watson brings in the package that shows glimpses of a pretty decent pass catching option.  The only thing that suprises me is the compensation they got for Thomas a 7th in 2011? Why not 2010 because of the likelyhood of the uncapped season in 2010? And I would have thought he would be worth a 5th rounder but regardless I would rather have a 7th round pick taken by the Patriots brain trust then a 5th by 90% of the NFL.

Mitchell is a top notch blocking TE, I love that move.

Lets play some football

Sections
Shortcuts