Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever.

My favorite Tears For Fears song is "Elemental"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nowBbG-cm8

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Best group ... Led zeppelin . Best song... "rock and roll" (really, really loud) honorable mention u2, rush, stones, Floyd. Best tears for fears song... "Woman in chains"

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

In Response to Re: Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever.:
    [QUOTE]I am a huge Stones fan. My first show was actually Floyd. What's funny is, I got burned out on all the right of passage stuff (Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, Who, etc), but I never really tire of the Stones stuff.  Keith is arguably my favorite guitar player.  Probably the best songwriter and rhythm player from that era.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]
    Have you read his autobiogrphy "Life"? Its really good, really interesting and he really does remember a lot more than you might expect. He doesn't shy away from his addictions either, its a pretty honest book. He's pretty funny too. I like him more after having read it. A must read if you are a fan.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Just thinking more about rock bios, I have read a few in the past year;

The Eric Clapton biography struck me as the saddest. I had no idea the magnitude of his alcoholism and drug addictions. Its hard to believe the guy could play at all. Still, if you like Clapton, its highly worth reading.

John Lennon's biography was very interesting and quite in depth. After reading it, I got the feeling that Lennon was very very lucky to have had people around him his whole life that kept him going - it seemed like he wouldn't have been able to have done anything had he been left on his own. He's a complicated guy. Must read for Beatle fans

I also read Ozzy Osbourne's bio. He is a funny guy, parts of the book are hilarious. He's another guy whose excesses are pretty hard to believe. If it wasn't for Sharon, he would probably have died years ago. I'm an Ozzy fan, so I liked it, but non fans might find it a little shocking and in parts pretty disgusting.

Finally, I read Frank Zappa's bio by Barry Miles a few years ago - I'm a big fan of his, and he is most definitely a complex guy. Great musician, crappy dad, not too nice a guy really, until the end of his life when he seemed to come to appreciate human companionship. fascinating, but for fans only.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Every time Rush is mentioned in "greatest band/song" discussions, I die a little inside...

Not that I'm right, necessarily -- just a little tidbit about moi.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever. : I myself would probably go for anything from Zep or Floyd.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

I'm a big Floyd fan, and the two are actually very similar to me.  Highly crafted songs, good spacing.  I listen to both all the time.  Along with Jean Micheal Jarre, Cheap Trick, Beatles, Mike Oldfield, and a fairly wide range of other stuff.  But for the more crunchy rock and stoner rock, Patti Smith Group still rules.  Never liked Zep, but am beginning to really appreciate how good they are as I get older.  Weird.  Used to like Springsteen in my 20s, can't really stand it now.  Thanks for this NON confrontational conversation, it was fun.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know how anybody picks one favorite song. Maybe that day's favorite song. I have a long commute, so these are my favorites this week (next week could be entirely different):

LA Woman
    Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
    Too Rolling Stoned
    Powderfinger
    Willin'
    Red House

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

No love for Susan Boyle on here???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

More bad news, I used to watch this when I was a kid...

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/soul-train-don-cornelius-dead-75-apparent-suicide-152756913.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Good R&R read is the Clash's book. Very entertaining. Also, off subject somewhat, but an underrated sports book if you can find it is Teddy Atlas's bio. I think the title is just Atlas, as I recall.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]I gave that to my Dad or XMas 2 years ago. He liked it, the big boxing fan he is.

Best part was when he confronted Tyson in the Catskills after Tyson groped his sister.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever. : Whenever I hear Rush mentioned, I cringe and think of a Dungeons and Dragons convention. No offense to anyone who likes Rush, of course. 

None taken! I love them, but at the same time, they can get pretty lyrically silly ("Trees" leaps out immediately). There's something charming about them. They just had a very fine video biography come out (I think its called "behind the lighted stage") - my brother, who is no fan, saw it and said that afterwards he felt differently about them. I've seen parts of it, its pretty great. Maybe its because I link them so closely with some great times in my youth, but if I hear them on the radio I always turn it up.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tears for Fears "The Working Hour" is about the best song ever. : None taken! I love them, but at the same time, they can get pretty lyrically silly ("Trees" leaps out immediately). There's something charming about them. They just had a very fine video biography come out (I think its called "behind the lighted stage") - my brother, who is no fan, saw it and said that afterwards he felt differently about them. I've seen parts of it, its pretty great. Maybe its because I link them so closely with some great times in my youth, but if I hear them on the radio I always turn it up.
    Posted by BelichickDisciple[/QUOTE]

It's called, "Beyond the Lighted Stage" and I agree: it's awesome.  One of the best RockDocs I've ever seen.  Enjoyable to non-fans as well.  It's extremely well done.

But I can totally understand why people don't like them.  It's a love/hate kind of thing.  But one can not dispute their importance or the fact that they've had an amazing career.  The amount of bands they've influenced it's not even funny.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

No go on that Tears for Fears song...

Thought it was awful...no offense...

Also, I didn't know that REM ganked Mad World from Tears for Fears...

Makes me respect Tears for Fears more...

I always wanted to know this:

I am still on the younger side at age 25, and I like a lot of music on the radio right now.

For the older posters on here, do you find yourself hating the music you used to love when you were younger?

It seems like music preferences change as one gets older, but I wanted to know from people with some perspective...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I like the stones from let it bleed to some girls...  i enjoy the early blues stuff, but they came into their own in that section... and kind of died after.  Live?  Lazy, bad band as far as I can see... never liked them live at all.  Rush, I have ALWAYS owned Permanent Waves, and bounced in and out of some other stuff, but they are way to preachy and self involved for me.  TFF I have everything, love the band in any permutation they have.  These people who treat them like they are fluff are missing some great stuff.  I find as I get older, I drop out of the simpler stuff I used to enjoy and get more into the more complex stuff.  On the other hand, some music when I hear it again, just brings me back to the moment and those were some pretty awesome moments.  I never had ONE musical genre, I did classical, electronic, rock, power rock, whatever, but in the mid 80s I was in germany, and europop was a big part of my life, I still love most of it, but the production values sure are bad.  TFF was always the best of the bunch for me.  Curt Smith did some amazing bass work always, and Roland is always great.  I think most of it holds up, but the early stuff does suffer from that bassless 80s production.  
    I don't drink anymore but have started taking my wife out clubbing since the kids grew up, and actually kind of like the music.  It's mindless, but fun, and well made mostly.  Talking LMFAO, Katy Perry, Niki Minaj stuff.  Reminds me of a line from Elvis Costello's "Mystery Dance"  - "dont bury me cause I'm not dead yet"