There's plenty of great music out these days......but you have to find it.  Most of it's not on the radio. But I have a rather eclectic taste anyway. 

I started playing drums when I was 5 and haven't stopped 31 years later.  I went to college for music (Berklee College of Music) and studied jazz.  I teach and perform music for a living. 

None of that makes my opinion any better than anyone else's.  And that's what's great about music and the arts in general.  It's all about what moves you. 

I love improv music (jazz, jambands, etc.) because I love the idea of "creating" music live in the moment as opposed to playing the same thing night to night.  But it's not always good.  Sometimes you fall flat on your face.  And I like that kind of honesty in music:  the willingness to take a risk.

But that doesn't mean that composed music isn't good.  I love that stuff too!  I really hate comparing music.  There is fabulous music in ALL genres of music.  You just have to find it.

The Shawshank Redemption is a great movie.  An all-time classic.  But I also enjoy Happy Gilmore.  Should I enjoy it less because it's not an Oscar-worthy type film?  I say no because it's not supposed to be.  And I feel the same about music.  Nirvana's music is extremely simple music.  But it doesn't make it any less important than any other band.  Writing a great SIMPLE song is a lot harder than people think.  Only so much can be done with 3 chords.  To be able to be original using those same 3 chords is the mark of a true artist.