Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets

Sorry but I don't think GOD gives a damn about the outcome of any game!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets : This is one of my all-time favorites. I've never yet heard anyone explain satisfactorily what this means, beyond some version of "I believe what's convenient for me,"  but that is probably another discussion for another time. As for Tebow, I think we're going to have to start thinking about considering beginning to accept the possibility that Jesus actually wants him to win . . . which is pretty bad for the rest of the NFL, if you think about it. I mean, sure, you always hear athletes thank their lord when they win, but when have you ever heard a losing player say, "Oh, sure . . .  we could have beaten them, if it hadn't been for Jesus"? (I can't remember who I stole that joke from . . .   I think it might have been Jim Gaffigan)
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they are happy for those who find their avenue to the "source", whatever it is, let's just call it... everything and nothing, through religion.  Yet maybe for them it's difficult to conditionalize salvation or combine with their conscience the thought that salvation is attained by way of pledging allegiance to a name and a face, for example.  Maybe it contradicts the freedom of their soul.  

I admit, I am also affected by the fact that annoying Hollywood celebrities say the "i'm not religious but I'm spiritual" phrase and convenience seems likely, like another drop in their bucket of superficialities.   But Jayshizzle has my benefit of the doubt and I'm calling genuine on it.  And, I like Tebow because he seems to have a solid character in many ways, an unorthodoxed yet effective game, and the religion part is moot to me.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets:
    [QUOTE]Like many Christians Tim Tebow has had to Endure the Persecution and hatred from people that wish failure upon him because of his faith. Tebow has been steadfast in his faith and love for god however and it has paid dividends for him on the field. Tim Tebow has fast become a leader off the field as well leading prayers and drawing strength from his love for god. Last night Tim Tebow Led his team to Victory over the Jets like Michael the Archangel leading his army against Satan. This guys is going places whether the God haters of the world like it or not. He is also a great role model for Children everywhere on how to win with class. I think everyone here should join me in congratulating Tim and Praying for his success.
    Posted by TD_Jesus[/QUOTE]

I am sure that God is watching Tebow on Sundays because, hey, nothing better to do. He can catch up on email later.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]People who love Tebow for his religion are so ironic, in that they chastise people who don't like Tebow and just assume it is because of his religion.  I never new Christians were such an insecure lot.  Maybe some people just don't like watching terrible QB play, it might not be about Jesus. That being said, it is pretty clear the original poster is not serious or is only trying to stir the pot. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Jesus has the abs.

Tebow has the guns, but he can't make every throw. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Az I'm sure it came across that way but I wasn't gettin down on Tebow for expressing his faith. To be honest I really haven't been paying attention to the whole Tebow situation and I didn't even watch the game although now I wish I had dvr'd it.  The OP's post just reminded of a soap box preacher or people like the westboro baptist church (although his stuff obviously wasn't as hateful). More than one religious group has come to my door and none of them were Jehovah's.
      Also you and other posters bring up other things that bother me about religion, and this is not directed to you specifically but just society in general. One is that religious belief and morality go hand in hand (you eluded to that mindset with the Tebow/ DUI, sex assault etc. statement). I don't cause pain and suffering to other people because in my heart I know it's wrong, not because of the threat of eternal damnation or because someone said that god said it's wrong.  On the other hand I do good for people because in my heart I know it's good not because I'm trying to save my soul.
          Another is that faith and religion go hand in hand. I have faith- I have the faith that I will answer to a higher power for my actions. I also have the faith that my actions will lead me to a good place after this life is done because I've done my best to live up to the morals that I hold without the assistance from following any major religious institution.
      Don't worry about me Oregon, I'm not missing out on anything. The religious institutions and the people within them are just as capable of spewing out hate and violence (westboro baptist church, Spanish Inquisitions, radical Islam, the countless wars fought in the name of religion etc, etc, etc.)  as they are of good things so to me being a part of one is irrelevant.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets : Uh, you can thank the drive by media for that. They ask him, he professes his faith, they run the story, KNOWING they got exactly what they want, and to create some form of controversy. I don't hear about, see, or know of any instance when Tebow sought out the media to "spread his word". They do a pretty good job all on their own.   I find him refreshing. We'll probably never see his name in a story about an assault (sexual or otherwise), a DUI, a motor vehicle accident, financial fraud, or any other shenanigans going on in the wee dark hours of the morning. Unless of course you like that type of behavior......  I learned a long time ago to NEVER getinvolved with what anyother person determines what his faith is, and how he depends on it. Being a critic of someone else's faith is a standard that you can never live up to. Your options are few: 1) My faith (what my beiefs are) is better than his faith  2) how I apply my faith/beliefs in everyday life is better than how he does  3) I have no faith, and it's the best option. Besides, going door to door is pretty mush a Jehovah's Witness thing. This is NOT Tebow's faith.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets : Uh, you can thank the drive by media for that. They ask him, he professes his faith, they run the story, KNOWING they got exactly what they want, and to create some form of controversy. I don't hear about, see, or know of any instance when Tebow sought out the media to "spread his word". They do a pretty good job all on their own.   I find him refreshing. We'll probably never see his name in a story about an assault (sexual or otherwise), a DUI, a motor vehicle accident, financial fraud, or any other shenanigans going on in the wee dark hours of the morning. Unless of course you like that type of behavior......  I learned a long time ago to NEVER getinvolved with what anyother person determines what his faith is, and how he depends on it. Being a critic of someone else's faith is a standard that you can never live up to. Your options are few: 1) My faith (what my beiefs are) is better than his faith  2) how I apply my faith/beliefs in everyday life is better than how he does  3) I have no faith, and it's the best option. Besides, going door to door is pretty mush a Jehovah's Witness thing. This is NOT Tebow's faith.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

He put Biblical verses on his eye black in college.

He appeared in a Super Bowl ad for a religious group "Focus on the Family". The ads contained a pro-life message.

Those crazy drive-by media always stirring things up...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

I went to Catholic school & started questioning & doubting god a couple years before I doubted Santa Claus. I didn't know ANYTHING about Tebow because I don't watch college ball with their 63 -3 games.

All I know is he seems like a nice guy, a total God freak, and an awful QB who is gonna get KILLED once teams get enough tape on him playing in the NFL. God better be a close personal friend of his because playing like a RB spells a short career & a lot of pain for a QB or worse.

His game is like the Wildcat. Yeah, it fooled everyone for a little while... then the tape was analyzed each week and now... it's useless and you see it very little

Would be nice to leave religion of the boards

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dpaul3614. Show dpaul3614's posts

Like many Christians Tim Tebow has had to Endure the Persecution and hatred from people that wish failure upon him because of his faith. Tebow has been steadfast in his faith and love for god however and it has paid dividends for him on the field. Tim Tebow has fast become a leader off the field as well leading prayers and drawing strength from his love for god. Last night Tim Tebow Led his team to Victory over the Jets like Michael the Archangel leading his army against Satan. This guys is going places whether the God haters of the world like it or not. He is also a great role model for Children everywhere on how to win with class. I think everyone here should join me in congratulating Tim and Praying for his success.

Well said, thank you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Prayer does nothing but make you and those around feel better and helps to make everyone a better person. Tebow is nothing but nice and it agrivates a lot of people because he's not miserable in his life like  they are. More people need to find religion!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]Cant believe I got tebowed last night...why does god hate the Sanchize????
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE]

Apparently, he takes it up the can.  God is supposed to hate that, I am told.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

I said it on another thread and repeat it here: Tebow thanking his god after a big win I find to be disrespectful to other, less fortunate players and to religion in general.   Please.  Divine intervention for a football game?!  Really?  That's sad.  A simple point to the sky would suffice.
    I will say I admire his drive to win. 
    But this is football and bringing religion or politics into it will stir a hornets' nest.  And hornets AREN'T haters.  They are just people with different preferences and beliefs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I said it on another thread and repeat it here: Tebow thanking his god after a big win I find to be disrespectful to other, less fortunate players and to religion in general.   Please.  Divine intervention for a football game?!  Really?  That's sad.  A simple point to the sky would suffice. I will say I admire his drive to win.  But this is football and bringing religion or politics into it will stir a hornets' nest.  And hornets AREN'T haters.  They are just people with different preferences and beliefs.
    Posted by BelichickforPresident[/QUOTE]

It seems to this believer that as a "stirred up hornet" you've sadly decided to be mired in "preferences and beliefs" that keep you from hearing, seeking or seeing/believing the truth. This is life, your choice to miss out...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets : It seems to this believer that as a "stirred up hornet" you've sadly decided to be mired in "preferences and beliefs" that keep you from hearing, seeking or seeing/believing the truth. This is life, your choice to miss out...
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

"...a simple point to the sky", doesn't offend y'all and fortunately; He pointed the way at Calvary.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Will one of you Christians with a direct line to God please tell him that there are more important things for him to be doing than worrying about who wins Broncos games? At God's pay grade, you'd think he'd be more concerned with ending poverty, disease, war, and famine than ending the Jets season.  Not that I'm not thankful for the small things . . . but doesn't it seem like a guy with God's abilities should set his sights just a tad higher?  I mean think about how easy it is for God to beat the Jets--first of all Rex Ryan is their coach and Sanchez is their QB.  But beyond that, being omniscient and all, God knows all their defensive signals even without the sideline camera . . . and who on heaven or earth could have a more unstoppable power running game than the omnipotent or hit any harder than the almighty?

It's not that I'm unappreciative and all, but it just seems like God would have more important things to do on a Sunday than trying to ensure the right football team wins.  But now I learn that while all those dutiful Christians are in church singing his praises and sitting through those interminably boring sermons, God's out having a grand ole time tailgaiting in Denver.  Let's just hope he doesn't drink too much beer this Sunday because if he fails to show up for work on Monday I hear there's this guy Satan who's all hot to take his job . . . and who knows what deals with the devil Rex might strike to finally win that SuperBowl he's been promising everyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Will one of you Christians with a direct line to God please tell him that there are more important things for him to be doing than worrying about who wins Broncos games? At God's pay grade, you'd think he'd be more concerned with ending poverty, disease, war, and famine than ending the Jets season.  Not that I'm not thankful for the small things . . . but doesn't it seem like a guy with God's abilities should set his sights just a tad higher?  I mean think about how easy it is for God to beat the Jets--first of all Rex Ryan is their coach and Sanchez is their QB.  But beyond that, being omniscient and all, God knows all their defensive signals even without the sideline camera . . . and who on heaven or earth could have a more unstoppable power running game than the omnipotent or hit any harder than the almighty? It's not that I'm unappreciative and all, but it just seems like God would have more important things to do on a Sunday than trying to ensure the right football team wins.  But now I learn that while all those dutiful Christians are in church singing his praises and sitting through those interminably boring sermons, God's out having a grand ole time tailgaiting in Denver.  Let's just hope he doesn't drink too much beer this Sunday because if he fails to show up for work on Monday I hear there's this guy Satan who's all hot to take his job . . . and who knows what deals with the devil Rex might strike to finally win that SuperBowl he's been promising everyone.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

God is omnipotent at multi-tasking. Don't fret. As to the poverty and suffering thing; He has a schedule. Be grateful He is giving you time to stop screwing up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets : God is omnipotent at multi-tasking. Don't fret. As to the poverty and suffering thing; He has a schedule. Be grateful He is giving you time to stop screwing up.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's the Bronco's schedule.  Next up is the Chargers.  That's a big division game . . . he'll get to the poverty and suffering thing sometime after the season's up.  Maybe he can go fishing for blues with BB too . . . I can just hear him on the boat now: "Hey Bill, come follow me and I will make you a fisher of men . . . not that your draft picks are all that bad, but whatever you've been catching in the second and third rounds, they're definitely not men. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

In God we TRUST, In Tebow we WIN.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]Tebow can praise whoever he wants, but we are ignoring the elephant in the room:   if Tebow gave thanks to Buddha by clasping hands together in the endzone...or Allah by holding his palms open and upward....or observing the Sabbath by not playing on a Saturday, we'd be up in arms about his religious beliefs and accusing him of all kinds of prejudice and paranoid baloney Every time he mentions Christ in his interviews, I, as a Christian, feel uncomfortable.  It's prosletyzing whether he intends it or not.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

good point

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How Tebow uses religion as part of his persona and attributes this belief as the reason for his success is his business.  If one considers him mentioning this in an interview as putting his belief into our face, well, I think you have more serious issues to allow that to bother you.  It is not like he is proclaiming you MUST believe like he does and if you do not you will be damned as we sometimes get from "born again" zealots.  It is the media and the fan base who have made this mole hill grow into a mountain.  There are numerous NFL players who give praise to a higher power for their success, but, it seems Tebow is being raked over the coals for it, to some degree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Religion, like sex, is best practiced in private. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]Tebow can praise whoever he wants, but we are ignoring the elephant in the room:   if Tebow gave thanks to Buddha by clasping hands together in the endzone...or Allah by holding his palms open and upward....or observing the Sabbath by not playing on a Saturday, we'd be up in arms about his religious beliefs and accusing him of all kinds of prejudice and paranoid baloney Every time he mentions Christ in his interviews, I, as a Christian, feel uncomfortable.  It's prosletyzing whether he intends it or not.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

So it would create some controversy with a bunch of people making noise...that's exactly what's happening.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

The point about Buddha and Allah is very good.  My guess is that were Tebow black and his prophet of choice Mohammad . . . the public proselytizing, as mellow as it is, would not be defended by Jesus fans.  Which is hypocritical.

To a true outsider, Tebow’s behavior strikes me as arrogant and ethnocentric.  Perhaps because I have no horse in the race, I feel free to opine that there are much better forums for this subject matter than a football stadium.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

TDJ--I am not a Christian but I will say I am a Big TBOW fan-love the kids faith and his genuine personality-I would love to see him succeed. It's nice to see a Primate,(human), give praise and worship to what gives us ALL life. Go Tim Tebow!!!!In Response to Tebow Calls on a higher power to defeat Jets:
    [QUOTE]Like many Christians Tim Tebow has had to Endure the Persecution and hatred from people that wish failure upon him because of his faith. Tebow has been steadfast in his faith and love for god however and it has paid dividends for him on the field. Tim Tebow has fast become a leader off the field as well leading prayers and drawing strength from his love for god. Last night Tim Tebow Led his team to Victory over the Jets like Michael the Archangel leading his army against Satan. This guys is going places whether the God haters of the world like it or not. He is also a great role model for Children everywhere on how to win with class. I think everyone here should join me in congratulating Tim and Praying for his success.
    Posted by TD_Jesus[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Prayer does nothing but make you and those around feel better and helps to make everyone a better person. Tebow is nothing but nice and it agrivates a lot of people because he's not miserable in his life like  they are. More people need to find religion!
    Posted by jeffory[/QUOTE]

Superstition. It's not just for cavemen anymore.