Tebow, Christianity and the Media

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media:
    In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : ...The answer to this is that we don't care what religion you practice (or don't practice) but we do not want to hear it. Isn't your relationship with God/whatever a private matter? If so, why are so many so eager to blather on and on about it? Be a zealot if you want, keep it to yourself and everybody will be happy. 
    Posted by RipFace

Of course IF you dont want to hear it you have every right as an American citizen to turn off your TV as he has the right to say what he wants to so if you dont want to here it stop whining about his saying it and turn your TV off

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

All you super Christians would be honking a different tune if Tebow was Jewish and tried to say a prayer before the test. I dont care what religion you are. This is a free country you can be whatever you want to be. But that in no way means you get to force it upon other people.
    Posted by uncommon13

Actually the so called Super Christians WOULD NOT no one would be honking a horn and I dont remember Tebow ever  forcing anything on "us" that is a ridiculous stretch if I ever heard one. I dont recall him threatening us or sayin ANything remotely about WE HAVE TO LISTEN. WOW what exaggerations

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maineeac. Show Maineeac's posts

Organized religion will one day play a big part in the downfall of humanity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : "Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites." Thomas Jefferson - Notes on Virginia
    Posted by ricky12684

This is true about torture burned fined ,etc. I can say the same thing about Muslims, White Supremicists, Hindus, the Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Atheists, the English, Gang Members, Native Americans against other Native Americans,The Mayans, Sadaam Hussein, Mussolinii, Hitler etc etc etc etc. As a friend of mine says eveyone is rude to everyone else about everything. It isnt being Christian that makes people do stupid things it is about Greed and Elitism which is in evey culture in every religion in evey section of the globe so dont be so tunnel visioned

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." - Thomas Jefferson (Author of The D of I)
    Posted by ricky12684

Yes Jefferson said that but then again do I really want to listen to a man who sexually coerced and raped his black slaveSally Hennings over and over again and allegedly fathered several children while she could do absolutely nothing about it Nice example there Ricky for your ideologies. No thanks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 

These United States of America were not founded on Christian beliefs, infact, Jefferson and Franklin were both deists. I HATE Tim Tebow, but it's not because he flaunts his Christianity left and right, it's because he suks! If Tebow had the potential to be a Lawrence Taylor- like OLB I would be screaming to the top of the mountain for the Pats to draft him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : I used to live in a small southern city where there was a prominent "christian" university. It was quite common there to see students prosletizing on street corners -- that is, actually shouting the word of god to passersby. Being a transplanted yankee of notoriously taciturn nature, this struck me as passing strange, so I asked around about it and found out that it was perfectly legal, through permit, for the Jesus shouters to congregate outside, for instance, night clubs, and spew invective at the patrons -- calling them fornicators and such and proclaiming their eventual descent to hell -- but that if I, as an individual, were offended by this and engaged these people in debate on the street, that I could be subject to arrest for disturbing the peace. This has nothing to do with Tim Tebow, but the way this thread is deteriorating, I just thought I'd throw it in to see if anybody else sees the humor in it that I do.
    Posted by p-mike

Prairie and ALL~

I see the humour in it.  Ya know, calling yourself a "Yankee", who's original origin (although debated), was derived from the Dutch word, "Janke" meaning: "'little john' or 'little jan'."  And it was used as a derisive slur to those early Dutch settlers around the Hudson River and up to Connecticut (and greater NE)-who wanted to escape from the all-encompassing noose from the British Church's strangling sway of that one Church's specific beliefs in the almighty (also-pretty much, so they themselves could enact their very own stranglehold in their own part & power over native american beliefs...or whomever was unfortunate enough to be the first person/group off of the second boat from Europe to America). 
         So Prairie, I personally DO see the humour in you bad-mouthing these poor, poor souls and sons and great-great-grandsons of people who wanted as these people to you-want, nothing more than the freedom to preach their beliefs in God and share them with the rest of us ALL, In The Land of the Free... YOU Mike, are a very, very bad man (and possibly an accursed fornicator too)...

Haha-hahah-ahhh...  Did I get'cha?  Seriously though, Would they have arrested you as a loud-mouthed, trouble-stirrin' "Yankee", IF 'You came to their town riding on a donkey, strangled one of them with a teather from your nap-sack, and said-I here, Am the second com-innng (and you ALL have heads fulla macaronn-eey).'  that, that woulda been hilarious, huh?  Hmm, I wonder if They woulda seen the humour in That...maybe not.    

First an interjected proverbial "shout out" to Uncle Alfie and actually again P-Mike, For first Alfie noting that, "WhatTH gives rapists, murderers, robbers and all-out sc#mbags, the get-outta-the-Media-Spotlight- scot free card and THAT Media bashin' more on the dude who believes in God?  And second to Mike's point on this VERY Media throwing Tebow in the spotlight to begin with for GOD'S sake, And then using his beliefs as a way to tear him down, when said National Media, If NOT created it, then at the least was the st#pid vehicle that shoved it down the Mass of our throats to begin with...  O.k., I know this sounds hypocritical, but another shout-out goes to whomever told Tebow to "ShutTH Up," before The Wonderlic Prayer...  I woulda done it, but they asked me at he door, "Are you IN the actual draft?"  And me saying that, "I'm a write-in ballot," apparently isn't enough to allow you to take the exam...sad. 

~NOW, in a moment of pure sincerity here...  A poster on one of these pages made refernce as a counter-point about another poster's original contention about How Organized Religion kills, destroys, maims, or whatever-ALL in the name of that religion and whatever that religion's ethos happens to be...NOW, The second poster argued how people kill in the name of EVERYthing: Race, Politics, Money, Nationality, and of course-Religion...  Think W.B. Yeats here people (ironically quoted from his poem entitled 'The Second Coming'):  "The worst are filled with passionate intensity, the best lack all conviction."  His point:  It matters NOT what your dogma happens to be; It matters far MORE that you actually believe that YOUR particular dogma and crede happens to be the ONLY one, and the CORRECT one...and thus, ya act like a nutj#b accordingly on all those rest of us who don't share your specific beliefs.  And yes, Organized Religion IS a big one, but No, It ain't alone, but that doesn't mean it can cleanse it's hands free from blame.  The sooner, we become more tolerant of others with differing belief-systems, and/or actually break down some of these belief-systems...The better off we'll ALL be, BECAUSE It's these specific belief-systems that DO impose their "correct versions" of what IS "right", onto the majoriy of the rest of Us ALL...and THAT's wholly and utterly wrong.  

So where does it end?  BeatsTH outta me.  Shoot, I wish I had religion or belief in really anything at all...  Guess though, I'll just have to stick to accepting each and everyone as being worthy creatures, and hatin' only on those that impose ONLY their fanatical doctrines on unwilling souls and either being intolerant or actually violent when those souls with differing viewpoints, resist...AND all-the-while, being altogether miserable in my abscence of knowing fate and/or lost in my yearning to have a belonging in some or freakin' ANY greater crede, group, doctrine, or belief system.... 
         Oh well, maybe tears are good enough to wash your hands clean without enacting on some unfortunate and unwilling participant, The knowledge, power, and acceptance I'd simply beg for within a particular & righteous knowledge & system...but man, it's d#mn hard to sleep at night with disbelief.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogggg. Show underdogggg's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : well you said that most people don't even know who wrote the declaration. I gave you quotes from the author. Would you like me to google more anti-christian/religious quotes from OTHER founding fathers?
    Posted by ricky12684

You might want to try google for something that would give you  an argument. Your taking one person in society that made a quote and applying it to everyone. A true historian you are. Many people have made comments in history for or against. So you take the smallest minority portion of that time and a quote from a guy like Jefferson and use that as your evidence.Oh yeah, I heard Joe Blow said there is no god. That does it for me. End of argument and Ward Churchill would be proud of you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Some of us don't like Tebow because we are Christians.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyV219. Show JohnnyV219's posts

Last time I checked ..Those mics were being shoved in his face...and who cares what his beliefs are..I have never seen him "shove" his beliefs down anyone's throat..Making a statement about God,or thanking God is not shoving it down peoples throat..If you dont believe,fine..But dont bash the guy for it....we all have the freedom to believe what we want and dont have to have the same beliefs...To me,Its all about how we RESPECT others and treat one another, no matter the others belief system......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

So standing up and calling for a group prayer before the Wonderlick test was "respecting" others, "no matter the others belief system"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

Never mind what his spiritual beliefs are....I just don't think he is very good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

This guy's message will get old to an NFL team, quickly.  It is already starting.  Warner had some of the same problems, blaming his loss of starting QB in STL to his always having a bible out.  (not the fumbling...).  Tebow will not have his pulpit when he is buried on a depth chart for the next 4 years.  He might start, but he is certainly going to be humbled by the NFL for a little while.

Why do people compare drugs and crime to this issue.  They are very separate.  The NFL guy quoted about was worried about this guy's religion and specifically his need to preach it to others as a possible and likely issue in the locker room.  While those things can and do effect players individually, crime and other issues generally don't harm the whole team.  Obviously this guy thinks a personality like TeBows will do harm.  Especially if he is leading prayer meetings in the huddle instead of calling plays...

Why can't people keep their religion to themselves.  I only really hate those that shove it in my face and won't stop.  If you religious, fine, good for you.  DON't bring it to work and for the love of all that you keep holy DON'T TRY TO CONVERT ME.  It seems like that is getting to be too much to ask in today's holy than thou america.  I for one will always fight to keep religion a personal thing and out of the public eye.  Your spiritual relationship is just that, YOURS.

The pats better not draft this guy unless its in the 5th round.  and if JAX hasn't snapped him up by then they are a bunch of idiots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ivolberding. Show ivolberding's posts

It is obvious that it is an anti-christian thing to this front office guy. Too bad for him, Tebow is a class act! Funny how so many people in this country have forgotten that this country was originally founded by christians that wanted freedom of religion. My opinion is if you don't like christianity than find another country to call home. GOD BLESS!
    Posted by SidewayZ29

Your idea of christianity is a crock. This country was settled by religious prudes who were thrown out of up-tight England because they were way too conservative.  Also, the real people who actually  founded this country (Washington, Jefferson, Adams) found no place for religion in politics or public life.  In this man's opinion sports should be the same way.  I don't want to hear about Tebow's lord and savior Jesus giving him the abitlity to play well.  That is so selfish to think that your supposed savior can't help with world peace or something of that nature, but helps little Timmy Tebow with a football game. Christian values are nice and all in thought, but you are the same people who say that one is beyond saving if they have an abortion, are gay, muslim, or don't beleive in Jesus.  Christianity should just be another term for how to be a bigot and using the name of God to make it justifiable.  Also by saying that "if you don't like christianity, find another country to call home" you just proved the first part of your argument about the founders of our country searching for religious freedom obsolite.  Bible thumper!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".....Ben Franklin
    Posted by harleyroadking103

amen to that

and pot is god's way of saying...dont take life too seriously...none of us get out alive

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media :   Yes Jefferson said that but then again do I really want to listen to a man who sexually coerced and raped his black slaveSally Hennings over and over again and allegedly fathered several children while she could do absolutely nothing about it Nice example there Ricky for your ideologies. No thanks
    Posted by Colosoxman

she was at his death bed and there for his funeral...he did not rape her...he owned her and treated her like a slave but he did not rape her and there is a difference

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : ...I am sure there are groups that "have a message" on every team. It makes me cringe when they interview players and the first thing they say is "I'd like to thank the Lord....." WE DON"T CARE WHO YOU WANT TO THANK. Just answer questions and keep your beliefs to yourself...be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Satanism (haha), or whatever. Some of the "churchies" on this site would probably have a cow if a Muslim or say Satanist gave thanks to their "benefactor"(??) on TV. 
    Posted by RipFace

WOW!! why don't we have TEBOW read from a script that you make up for him!! HOw about freedom of speach.  Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean someone ELSE can't and can't talk about HIM in an interview.  SHEESH!  It's funny how you think YOU have the right to be a Pagan living in a godless world, but you don't believe someone else has the right to believe what they want to and have the freedom to talk about it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : Actually the so called Super Christians WOULD NOT no one would be honking a horn and I dont remember Tebow ever  forcing anything on "us" that is a ridiculous stretch if I ever heard one. I dont recall him threatening us or sayin ANything remotely about WE HAVE TO LISTEN. WOW what exaggerations
    Posted by Colosoxman

He stood up in a room full of men and said we should all say a prayer. That is being forced upon them. What if you are Muslim, Jewish, or better yet an Atheist? Lets put it this way. If before every Red Sox game they decided to say a Jewish prayer over the PA. Do you think there would be an up roar? As for the not listening, what are the other guys in the room supposed to do? Block their ears and scream while he is saying it? Talk about exaggerations, who ever said anything about him threatening us?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

My uncle was a mean drunk.  In drunken stupor he’d slap his wife, punch the kids and disrupt the entire neighborhood.  One night while returning from his favorite hole he crashed into a tree.  It was pretty bad, hospitalized for over a month, laid up and dried out but never stopped wanting a drink.  His eldest son brought him the cracked rearview mirror from his totaled Chevy and placed it by the side of my uncle’s bed. 

Everyday my uncle would look into that mirror and see himself healing as well as the past he was recovering from.  Eventually he was released from the hospital but he clung onto that mirror as if it were some talisman of old.  He never drank again.  The family never forgot nor truly forgave but they found peace because my uncle believed in that mirror.

That mirror probably wouldn’t mean much to most, just as a book may not mean much to someone else, but it sure had some power to it for my uncle, anyway.  I guess if my uncle wanted to raise a fuss over that mirror most would scoff and turn a deaf ear, but he sure would have a right to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

A couple points
    I agree with all of you who suggest Tebow should only be judged by what he does on field. Hell, even if he was Vlad the Impaler and could throw like Brady we would probably still cheer for him.
    The second point is that men should be judged by their acts vs. what they say they believe. I can appreciate someone donating his time to help others improve their lives. This says a lot more about someone than just talking about "believing in God to be saved".
    The third point is that a great deal of tolerance is needed in this country right now. This morning I saw a headline on Yahoo that 1/4 of republicans believe Obama is anti-christian. It is really strange how people construe other people and events. Sports, traditionally, has beens something that has brought people together in this country. Hopefully, it can continue to help us  bridge our differences.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

You don't lead men by calling them to prayer, you lead men through action. And if your actions are bold enough for you to gain the respect of those men, then maybe some of them will pray along with you.  Leadership is earned the hard way, it's not given to the guy who wants to make himself the leader by calling his teammates to prayer before the game starts. 

I can see Tebow being laughed out of the locker room if he tries that stuff with the team the drafts him.  If he turns into all-pro hall of fame QB, maybe people will let him get away with it.  But until he earns that right, I can see the other players being put off by it.  

He's already made himself the spokesman for Christianity by capitalizing on his status as an athlete and great college football player.  He's told us all he's celibate -- too much information, didn't need to know that.  He is anti-abortion, and I couldn't care less.  He likes to wear scripture on his eye black, great for you Timmy, let's call more attention to yourself!  He's an Evangelical, and those that aren't with him are going to a very warm place to burn for eternity.  Glad that he and his ilk look at 99% of the rest of the world as unworthy sinners.   

I want football players to play football and spare me the judgemental rhetoric.  Good luck to Tebow filling the shoes as the new prophet.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media :  I said no one. Do you have a problem with me?
    Posted by Mungomunro

Well, we've never met, so it's nothing personal.  But if you're implying there are too many Southern Baptists in the NFL then I would take issue with that, yes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : How about Tim McViegh? or the rest of the fanatical "Christian" army of god? Your are beyond pathetic if you think only muslims are terrorists
    Posted by RipFace

McViegh didn't use a religious ideology, he was a nut job that became anti-government and anti-american and what he did was terrorism. but since the oklahoma city bombing the other nut jobs do go blow up people and things in the name of religion, and they are sponsored by governments and other proxies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : she was at his death bed and there for his funeral...he did not rape her...he owned her and treated her like a slave but he did not rape her and there is a difference
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

"No person who is denied free will, as were all slaves,can reasonably be thought to exercise free choice about sexual contact they have with their oppressors. Sally Hemmings was Thomas Jefferson's property. In the privacy of his bedroom he may have treated her like a wife, but in public he treated her like a slave." Jefferson was 30 years older than Hemings who by day was the maid to his children and by night was the object of his lust- a relationship she was never free to reject because Jefferson kept her enslaved until his death in 1826."

www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/columnists/wickham/wick052/html

I THINK I WOULD IN FACT CALL THAT RAPE

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : He stood up in a room full of men and said we should all say a prayer. That is being forced upon them. What if you are Muslim, Jewish, or better yet an Atheist? Lets put it this way. If before every Red Sox game they decided to say a Jewish prayer over the PA. Do you think there would be an up roar? As for the not listening, what are the other guys in the room supposed to do? Block their ears and scream while he is saying it? Talk about exaggerations, who ever said anything about him threatening us?
    Posted by uncommon13

No it is not being forced on them. If a Jewish or Muslim person wanted to say a prayer over the PA system, I might Think it was weird but I wouldnt whine about it and gripe and moan and complain, and it is not because I am a Christian, It is because I wouldnt want to look like a jerk. Which I think most reasonable human beings would think. I think most people who are not left wing nut jobs would just keep their opinions to themselves. I dont recall any outcry for anything like this nor do I recall any Muslim or Jewish person ever offering to make a public prayer so i have no point of reference for that. But this is the age of diversity so any reasonable person would think that saying something would be viewed as devisive. SO your assertion that Christians would stand up and clamour holds no basis of reality and is just an opinion.

Sections
Shortcuts