Tebow released by Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Tebow released by Jets

From NFL.com:

The New York Jets announced early Monday morning that Tebow was waived by the Jets on Monday morning after one season with the team. NFL.com's Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport report that Tebow was told face-to-face by new GM John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan when Tebow arrived for work on Monday morning.

Idzik insisted on keeping Tebow through the draft in case they could find a trade partner or use for him. After selecting quarterback Geno Smith in the second round, Tebow, not Mark Sanchez, is the odd man out.

Tebow threw only eight passes in New York and rushed the ball 32 times, with great effectiveness. Despite awful quarterback play in front of Tebow, coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano never wanted to use Tebow as a starter. And they had no idea how to use him as a backup. New York wasted a fourth- and sixth-round pick in exchange for Tebow in a trade last offseason that smacked of ownership involvement. 

Owner Woody Johnson wanted headlines; he got them. He just didn't get a lot of victories. Ryan threw one, last useless verbal bouquet to Tebow on his way out the door.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," Ryan said in a statement. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped.  Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has reported all weekend that the Jets plan to bring Mark Sanchez to OTAs and let him compete with Smith for the starting job. It costs a lot to cut Sanchez, and it appears he will remain on the roster this season.

Tebow, on the other hand, is now cast out into the wildnerness at just the wrong time. It's going to be hard for him to get a job at this stage, much less one with a realistic shot at playing time. Tebow will go through waivers and he's very unlikely to be claimed because of his salary. After he clears waivers, Tebow will be free to sign with any team. 

If Tebow ever rises again, his stay in New York will either go down as a huge career setback. If not, the Jets stay will be remembered as the beginning of the end of his quarterbacking career. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Tebow released by Jets

Epic Fail

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

Would not be surprised to see Tebow get brought into camp with the Pats.  BB had him in for a pre-draft visit and he had a meal w/ Brady.  Plus, our OC, McDaniels, is the guy who drafted him.  If he had dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round, Pats might have tried to draft him. 

We could bring him into camp to see what he can offer the Pats.  If he really wants to QB, then he'd do himself a favor by sitting behind Brady for at least a year and learning how to be a QB.  If not, he could be turned into an H-back sort of player. 

Just my opinion.  Thoughts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I honestly cannot imagine where he ends up, except maybe to a team like the Jags.  With Blaine Gabbert and Henne, what do they have to lose? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Arena or CFL I believe he's done in the NFL.....I hate agreeing with the idiots on espn but the Jets are lame in releasing him today after the rosters are full unsigned/undrafted FA's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Punt return . Good hands good speed. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to ArmyPatsFan's comment:

Would not be surprised to see Tebow get brought into camp with the Pats.  BB had him in for a pre-draft visit and he had a meal w/ Brady.  Plus, our OC, McDaniels, is the guy who drafted him.  If he had dropped to the 2nd or 3rd round, Pats might have tried to draft him. 

We could bring him into camp to see what he can offer the Pats.  If he really wants to QB, then he'd do himself a favor by sitting behind Brady for at least a year and learning how to be a QB.  If not, he could be turned into an H-back sort of player. 

That is all the past and we'll never know if BB had any serious intent to draft him that high. We don't know what McDaniels would do if he had the option to redraft him today. However, his running ability is not scaring anyone. And no one likes the intense media attention that comes with him either. There are more risks than rewards for the Pats to take him. Fame is fleeting in the NFL and Tebow's ship may have already sailed....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hello Canada...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to ArmyPatsFan's comment:

I would be surprised if Tebow made his way to New England, that's for sure. 

1.) BB inivtes plenty of guys for visits, it's part of the drafting process. Most guys are brought in to make a team draft him, he hoped the Jets would draft him, but McDaniels did like a moron. 

2.) Brady never had a meal with him, Brady doesn't even like him/respects the media attention he gets. Whichever you want to pick. Tommy only gets animated when he's beating the AFC East rivals and other AFC rivals, but I've never seen Tommy as happy as he was when he was kicking the Broncos' bums that year. 

3.) McDaniels lost a job because of him, doubt he wants to lose another one. 

4.) The Pats would not have drafted him, they wanted someone else to jump at him. They entertained him for Myer's sake, but not much else. 

5.) He can't offer the Pats a thing. We won't carry 3 QBs, especially one that is useless and, like I said, Brady isn't a fan of the guy. Also, TE and RB are postions that are full. Why waste a valuable spot on a loser like Tebow who, if he were a Muslim American, wouldn't get half the attention he gets, and the half he does get would be inflammatory? 

6.) Tebow sucks, couldn't even beat out Mark Sanchez. Honestly, that should be enough for everyone to shy away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Que the "sign Tebow" Threads in 5,4,3,2...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

From NFL.com:

The New York Jets announced early Monday morning that Tebow was waived by the Jets on Monday morning after one season with the team. NFL.com's Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport report that Tebow was told face-to-face by new GM John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan when Tebow arrived for work on Monday morning.

Idzik insisted on keeping Tebow through the draft in case they could find a trade partner or use for him. After selecting quarterback Geno Smith in the second round, Tebow, not Mark Sanchez, is the odd man out.

Tebow threw only eight passes in New York and rushed the ball 32 times, with great effectiveness. Despite awful quarterback play in front of Tebow, coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano never wanted to use Tebow as a starter. And they had no idea how to use him as a backup. New York wasted a fourth- and sixth-round pick in exchange for Tebow in a trade last offseason that smacked of ownership involvement. 

Owner Woody Johnson wanted headlines; he got them. He just didn't get a lot of victories. Ryan threw one, last useless verbal bouquet to Tebow on his way out the door.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," Ryan said in a statement. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped.  Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has reported all weekend that the Jets plan to bring Mark Sanchez to OTAs and let him compete with Smith for the starting job. It costs a lot to cut Sanchez, and it appears he will remain on the roster this season.

Tebow, on the other hand, is now cast out into the wildnerness at just the wrong time. It's going to be hard for him to get a job at this stage, much less one with a realistic shot at playing time. Tebow will go through waivers and he's very unlikely to be claimed because of his salary. After he clears waivers, Tebow will be free to sign with any team. 

If Tebow ever rises again, his stay in New York will either go down as a huge career setback. If not, the Jets stay will be remembered as the beginning of the end of his quarterbacking career. 

I would have agreed that that a logical destination would be Jacksonville (Tebow being a Florida boy) but now I believe he is done in the NFL.  It's not that he isn't talented but that his talent level is not NFL calibre at QB.  If you can't beat Sanchez...then...??

The CFL makes sense, and there are teams here that will give him a look.  But it's a different game here in Canada and the teams require by rule to carry a certain amount of Canadians on their rosters.  He would make a terrific RB here, for most defensive lines are smaller and slower than they are in the NFL.  God bless you Tim!  Come to Montreal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Let the media circus begin.....

All for a guy that pretty much sucks as a QB. This will be the lead story on every football talk show there is.....UGH!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

As soon as he clears waivers, BB WILL SIGN TEBOW. 

the most obvious reason nobody has mentioned is because he was a jet.

also because he will get him at half price.

also because tebow is still a great football player who needs an outside the box coach.  Belichick likes to show this off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

**YAWNING**

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Jacksonville. He's beloved there. He will sell tickets. He could be their gimmick package.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

also because tebow is still a great football player who needs an outside the box coach.  Belichick likes to show this off.

Tebow wouldn't deign to play H-Back/special teamer just to play for the Pats.  The only good thing about coming to NE is that there is 0 - nada pressure - to be a QB in coming here.  But the guy thinks he's a QB, so therein lies the problem.  I agree BB likes him, I just can't see Tebow coming here to play something other than QB. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sign the beast!!!

Ok, just kidding.  49Patriots brings up all good and valid reasons why the Pats won't sign him.  However, I never say never when it comes to the Patriots.  Tebow is a good person, a positive person and by all means a winner.  Surely Patriots material.  I don't think BB would like all the press and attention Tebow brings.  They don't need that distraction.  However, I could see him brought in and line up in multiple spots in the no huddle.  But over all I think it would be much more distracting then any positives he would provide the team.

On a side note, it just shows how inept the Jets were in trying to create something that would work for him.  Heck, John Fox changed his whole offense to make it work with Tebow, now that's a good coach.  Jet's on the other had couldn't figure out what to do with him.

Bottom line... I don't see Tebow as a Patriot but again, it wouldn't totally shock me if he was. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

BB will do whatever he has to do to improve the team. If he thinks Tebow can bring something, who am I to disagree with him. If he doesn't then the same. Look at Tebow. He did ok with McDaniels. Ryan didn't have a clue what to do with him. Truth is he brought Denver pretty close and say what you will, he got it done. So, this guy can bring that attitude anywhere as long as they know what to do with him. Tebow requires creativity and a coach capable of plugging him into a situation where he moves the ball and gains confidence. He's tough. He's fearless. He'd do whatever was asked of him. There would certainly be no QB controversy in NE. I'd be all for anyone that can help win. If BB thinks he can do that, fine with me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

Tebow wouldn't deign to play H-Back/special teamer just to play for the Pats.  The only good thing about coming to NE is that there is 0 - nada pressure - to be a QB in coming here.  But the guy thinks he's a QB, so therein lies the problem.  I agree BB likes him, I just can't see Tebow coming here to play something other than QB. 

agree that tebow could still be delusional about QB, but bb has Edelman as an example of a successful college QB turned NFL football player.

bb worships versatility .  This guy could be a special team stud.  Maybe try him out on defense .  but above all,  it would mess with jets heads, in the ongoing lifelong chess match.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Lets not forget that these same Jets released Danny Woodhead. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Can he rush the quarterback????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I wonder if he'll pout when he becomes a Patriot and Belichick won't let him within a 100 ft of the media. Really they sign him, I'm packing up my Boston.com blanky and going home. No thank you!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Can he rush the quarterback????

Ha ha good one, maybe only belichick could make that happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mrbungle's comment:

Lets not forget that these same Jets released Danny Woodhead. 

BB might do it just to show up Rex Ryan and make Tebow a successful 3rd down player.  Could you imagine Patriots vs Jets and Tebow brought in at TE or RB and burn the Jets over and over again, lol!!  BB licking his chops right now thinking about that.

Sections
Shortcuts