Tebow To Get Daily Coverage?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Tebow To Get Daily Coverage?

Our daily Tim Tebow report from Globe intern Emily Kaplan (@EmilyMKaplan):

hmmmm, I guess readers will want to know....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Tebow To Get Daily Coverage?

You owe me 2 minutes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Lord, give us this day our daily Tebow and forgive us our Hernandezes as we forgive those who Hernandez against us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Lord give us this day our daily Tebow and forgive us our Hernandezes as we forgive those who Hernandez against us.

lmao

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Apparently, it's not just the intern focused on Tebow.  He's got three threads at least going here.  I saw film of him throwing in practice yesterday.  Does any QB  in the world have a slower release?  And really?  Do we take a slot away from a real RB, WR , or TE to watch him catch passses or run?  Jut don't see him as anything other than a camp body, useful mostly because he can do a bunch of different things that other, better players can practice against.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Only until he's gone... then he'll have the Canadian press after him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Honestly, I'm not sure he'd make it in the CFL either.  Yes, running QBs have a bigger role in the CFL game.  And the passing game isn't as demanding as it is in the NFL, with CFL QBs throwing more short passes against a more spread-out defense.  But you still need to be a good passer, because the majority of offensive plays are passes (with only three downs instead of four, you almost have to pass).  I'm not convinced Tebow is consistently accurate enough to have a 60% to 70% completion percentage throwing the ball 30 or 35 times a game, which is kind of what's required in the CFL. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i'm thinking he gets cut.  Seriously, where can he do the team good - apart from being a good teammate/person?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Honestly, I'm not sure he'd make it in the CFL either.  Yes, running QBs have a bigger role in the CFL game.  And the passing game isn't as demanding as it is in the NFL, with CFL QBs throwing more short passes against a more spread-out defense.  But you still need to be a good passer, because the majority of offensive plays are passes (with only three downs instead of four, you almost have to pass).  I'm not convinced Tebow is consistently accurate enough to have a 60% to 70% completion percentage throwing the ball 30 or 35 times a game, which is kind of what's required in the CFL. 

Agreed, but the talent in the CFL is more like American college level than pro level.  Tebow excelled in college because the players across from him were worse and his receivers were pro caliber at the best NCAA school in the land.  I wouldn't bet on him being good in Canada either...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

So when he makes the team at the end of camp I know that two guys here will be upset. Jokes on you guys!! TT's record in the NFL is better than Ryan Mallett's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Agreed, but the talent in the CFL is more like American college level than pro level.  Tebow excelled in college because the players across from him were worse and his receivers were pro caliber at the best NCAA school in the land.  I wouldn't bet on him being good in Canada either...

Yeah, in the CFL, the talent he'll have on his team and that he'll face on the other team will be more even.  He won't have those NFL-quality Florida wide receivers running against corners who are going to be working 9 to 5 jobs after college.  The talent level in the CFL is definitely well below what it is in the NFL, but the players are still very good athletes and generally better and more consistent than all but your most elite college players.  I watch a lot of CFL football (in my opinion, it's the best sport on TV from July 1 through the start of the NFL season) and have grown to respect the game.  It's not the NFL by any means, but I take it a lot more seriously than I do stuff like Arena ball and the UFL.  The QBs who make it here are guys like Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia.  They aren't great NFL QBs, but they are still competent passers and good decision makers.  

Here's an excerpt from an article in the Toronto Sun, which talks about the mental aspect of the game and the need to make reads in a game where there's more in motion at the snap.  Can Tebow handle that?  Flutie was quick mentally, which is why I think he did so well in the CFL.  Tebow may be smart but he doesn't seem to have that ability to make quick decisions and get the ball off accurately to the right place.

"The CFL game is different especially for the quarterback. When you get under centre in major college or the NFL, there's only one guy who can be in motion. Everything is pretty stationary and you can predetermine and make your decisions based on where people are placed on the field. When you snap the ball, you know where you are going with the ball. "In the CFL you have to do a lot of reads on the run. I don't care how long you've played quarterback, the issue is a lot of times guys come to our league and they have NEVER seen anything like this. "They get under centre, there's four guys in motion. There's four DBs running all over the place and the ball is snapped and now they're trying to figure out what the coverage is (zone or man-to-man). "A lot of guys get eliminated right there because they can't handle it."

And here's a comment from Warren Moon, quoted on ESPN:

But would Tebow also be a major bust in the CFL? Former quarterback Warren Moon, who is well respected with Hall of Fame credentials, doesn't believe Tebow has what it takes to thrive in the league north of the border. 

"If you can't throw the football, it doesn't matter where you play quarterback," Moon said. "You have to be able to throw it. That's his biggest problem, just being able to complete passes, be an accurate passer. I think he's a really good athlete playing the position, but I don't think that's enough sometimes." 

Moon, who played in the CFL, brings up a good point: Other places like the CFL and Arena Football League are wide-open, high-scoring passing leagues. Tebow’s biggest weaknesses are his shoddy mechanics and throwing accuracy. 

Sections
Shortcuts