Tebow was drafted by McDaniels - he in camp next year as possible backup QB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Re: Tebow was drafted by McDaniels - he in camp next year as possible backup QB?

I had thought Edelman was the emergency QB, but since the guy went on IR I imagine there is some other plan. Under Parcells, Megget was the emergency QB, then later it was the punter Tom Tupa...As far as Tebow, there was at least some interest cause BB did interview him at the Combine going into the draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Tebow was drafted by McDaniels - he in camp next year as possible backup QB?

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the point is that if Tebow came to the Pats, or a team like the Saints there would be ZERO pressure or confusion, and zero fans calling for Tebow to play. This would allow him 2-3 years behind Brady and Mallette in the system to try and improve.

I see no scenario in New England where any fan or member of the media is calling for TEbow to play, so he is not a distraction.

That being said, I do not see him as an NFL QB.

BB is so innovative, not that I do not want to see Brady playing, but I would love to see BB with an offense with a more mobile QB. That is why I see BB staying on long after Brady. I think he would run an offense that was totally different than they are currently running, to stay 2 steps ahead of everyone else in the NFL.

It would still be a distraction. Just because he wouldn't be a threat to the starting job does not mean the media will not find a way to bring him up. They could ask him questions about how Tebow feels about being a third stringer, does he plan on designing Tebow specific plays, is Tebow the heir apparent to Tebow, etc etc.

Also, if Brady gets hurt...then you have a major distraction

well thats the 2nd point...if Brady got hurt, who better to devise an offense and utilize Tebow than BB? He won with Cassell, he could win with Tebow if need be

I'm starting to feel like you think BB can make any QB god. Kevin O'Connell was a mobile QB and BB couldn't get the most out of him. Tebow is not only innacurrate, he has a slow throwing motion. For a team that thrives on the short passing game, that won't work at all.

If you want Tebow to work, you're going to have to run that option offense they played in Denver.

Tebow led his team to under 20 points in 9 of his 13 starts. And as we can see from this season, it's not like DEN was lacking offensive weapons

If Brady went down, I'd rather take a chance with a traditional passer like Mallett before Tebow

I agree, but you cant discount the fact that BB was going to draft him, McD did draft him, and Kraft loves him

SUre sounds like Tebow will be available at the vets minimum

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I think the point is that if Tebow came to the Pats, or a team like the Saints there would be ZERO pressure or confusion, and zero fans calling for Tebow to play. This would allow him 2-3 years behind Brady and Mallette in the system to try and improve.

I see no scenario in New England where any fan or member of the media is calling for TEbow to play, so he is not a distraction.

BB is so innovative, not that I do not want to see Brady playing, but I would love to see BB with an offense with a more mobile QB. That is why I see BB staying on long after Brady. I think he would run an offense that was totally different than they are currently running, to stay 2 steps ahead of everyone else in the NFL.

It would still be a distraction. Just because he wouldn't be a threat to the starting job does not mean the media will not find a way to bring him up. They could ask him questions about how Tebow feels about being a third stringer, does he plan on designing Tebow specific plays, is Tebow the heir apparent to Tebow, etc etc.

well thats the 2nd point...if Brady got hurt, who better to devise an offense and utilize Tebow than BB? He won with Cassell, he could win with Tebow if need be

I'm starting to feel like you think BB can make any QB god. Kevin O'Connell was a mobile QB and BB couldn't get the most out of him. Tebow is not only innacurrate, he has a slow throwing motion. For a team that thrives on the short passing game, that won't work at all.

If you want Tebow to work, you're going to have to run that option offense they played in Denver.

Tebow led his team to under 20 points in 9 of his 13 starts. And as we can see from this season, it's not like DEN was lacking offensive weapons

If Brady went down, I'd rather take a chance with a traditional passer like Mallett before Tebow

I agree, but you cant discount the fact that BB was going to draft him, McD did draft him, and Kraft loves him

Nobody said BB was going to draft him. BB went out to dinner with him. That's it. That does not mean he wanted him, means he wanted to push Tebow's draft stock up and maybe get a team to make a deal with him.

BB had two opportunites to draft Tebow. He traded out of his spot both time. So yes, I can discount the fact that BB was going to draft him because it probably wasn't a fact

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Can we start a rule around here, no more Tebow threads for the love of god...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Pray with me my son.... "Dear god or whatever, please hold back the hands of those who would defile these pages with threads of Tebow... thank you... in the name of all that is sports, amen."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Nobody said BB was going to draft him. BB went out to dinner with him. That's it. That does not mean he wanted him, means he wanted to push Tebow's draft stock up and maybe get a team to make a deal with him.

BB had two opportunites to draft Tebow. He traded out of his spot both time. So yes, I can discount the fact that BB was going to draft him because it probably wasn't a fact

McD drafted him before BB could in the 2nd round

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I hope you remember what the 2009 team was and how many holes were on that team.

2010 2nd rd picks were Gronkowski, Cunningham and Spikes.

Do you really think a backup QB that many thought could not play was ahead of any of these guys on BB's Big Board?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I hope you remember what the 2009 team was and how many holes were on that team.

Do you really think a backup QB that many thought could not play was ahead of any of these guys on BB's Big Board?

yes I do. That is how much BB liked him. I am not saying BB likes him as much today, but for that draft, I think BB planned on using a 2nd to take him. McD knew that, and was forced to use a first to take Tebow

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

So all you Tebow haters gonna turn hang yourselves if hes in camp next year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I know. This guy DaPats think I made this up, but it has been reported ad nauseum since Manning signed.

I am not saying I want Tebow on the Pats. I am saying it would not surprise me if BB took a chance on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

this is an absoloutely ridiculous thread! What has gotten into folks lately with these crazy threads? Tebow, Rob Ryan, whose next? Are we gonna start a  thread on every "name" that becomes available?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

yes I do. That is how much BB liked him. I am not saying BB likes him as much today, but for that draft, I think BB planned on using a 2nd to take him. McD knew that, and was forced to use a first to take Tebow

I'll respectfully disagree with you. Neither of us are BB, so we don't know.

But scouting a player or having dinner does not mean a team plans on drafting a player. They could scout him, have dinner with him and then realize that he's not a fit. A lot of teams speculated that BB was throwing a smokescreen by having dinner with Tebow to attract trading partners. He did in fact trade with Den in that draft, albeit for D. Thomas, and then made another trade for Dez. All before McDaniels eventually took Tebow.

You claimed McD knew BB planned on taking Tebow in the second. BB is probably smarter than McD and probably knew McD would make an attempt at Tebow in the first. If BB really liked Tebow, he knew who the other likely suitors were, and probably wouldve taken him before giving McDaniels the opportunity

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

this is an absoloutely ridiculous thread! What has gotten into folks lately with these crazy threads? Tebow, Rob Ryan, whose next? Are we gonna start a  thread on every "name" that becomes available?

we always do

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I know. This guy DaPats think I made this up, but it has been reported ad nauseum since Manning signed.

I am not saying I want Tebow on the Pats. I am saying it would not surprise me if BB took a chance on him.

Trust me, I've seen the articles of pure speculation that Tebow and the Pats could be a match. That being said, there were no reports that it was going to happen, it was just columnists making a guess. No different than what you are doing. Same thing as all the people that said Tebow to Jax was a virtual certainty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Belichick would bring every available player to camp if he had a choice, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  He blows.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Belichick would bring every available player to camp if he had a choice, doesn't mean he'll make the team.  He blows.

exactly. couldnt you see BB bringing Tebow to camp to see what can be done with him, but at the end of the day, cut him? To me, it is not so far fetched. Seems it is to others, but I could see this situation unfolding

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

exactly. couldnt you see BB bringing Tebow to camp to see what can be done with him, but at the end of the day, cut him? To me, it is not so far fetched. Seems it is to others, but I could see this situation unfolding

Thats exactly what I see - another QB for camp, gone at start of season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Oh sure... Just like that brilliant idea by the Jets. Lets use the Jets braintrust as a template for successful shall we?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

What are you talking about? The whole argument was about whether BB would be on the team or not. I mentioned problems with him taking up a spot on the 53 man roster or being a distraction during the season if Brady goes down with injury. Both being problems that would occur during the regular season.

Same thing with OP, he talked about Tebow being on the team to be something for teams to gameplan against. I doubt teams would gameplan for Tebow just because he was in Pats camp during the offseason

"I think the point is that if Tebow came to the Pats, or a team like the Saints there would be ZERO pressure or confusion, and zero fans calling for Tebow to play. This would allow him 2-3 years behind Brady and Mallette in the system to try and improve."

I highly doubt you meant just 2-3 years in camp but not on the 53 man roster

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Oh sure... Just like that brilliant idea by the Jets. Lets use the Jets braintrust as a template for successful shall we?

If Sanchez and the Jets had played better, the Jets were bringing 3 QB's to camp anyways. It back fired on the Jets because Sanchez stunk, and the hiring of Sparano gave reason to think Tebow=Wildcat. The PAts could bring Tebow in and sit him for 2 years and no one would notice...same as Mallette and Hoyer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

+1

I mean seriously, Den basically was ready to deal Tebow to whoever before they even signed Manning. The Jets are going to dump him and they had Sanchez as a starting QB and would rather use McSomebody??? I even heard this morning on 98.5 that Jax doesn't even want him even if he's released. Can we stop with the Tebow can do it chants because he's a winner and stop to actually take a look at the guy himself. He's not an NFL QB and doesn't have the tools to become one. Even in the games he started at Denver he didn't show any signs of being a Pro caliber NFL QB. You'd have to completely redesign the O to that of a college option package and even then teams caught up to him at the end of last year. Frankly it wouldn't shock me if he was a broadcaster or running for a political office in FL in 2 years because he most likely won't be in the league. Heck, again on 98.5, they said player personal has said he'll never be an NFL QB and might not even have the ability to be the 53rd man on the vast majority of rosters.

BB made some pretty bad draft choices in his first couple years as a coach, which he learned from. I think McDaniels got caught up in the Tebow hype and made a first year coaching mistake in Tebow and that's something he'll also learn from. But, what makes Tebow so different then Losman, Couch, Quinn, or Russell, at least on the field? None of them were NFL QB's so why the love for Tebow when he has shown nothing more as a QB than those guys

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

If Sanchez and the Jets had played better, the Jets were bringing 3 QB's to camp anyways. It back fired on the Jets because Sanchez stunk, and the hiring of Sparano gave reason to think Tebow=Wildcat. The PAts could bring Tebow in and sit him for 2 years and no one would notice...same as Mallette and Hoyer

Sit him for two years for what? He doesn't have NFL QB abilities. He doesn't make good decisions, not a strong arm (watch his long passes they are lollipops his WR's go up to fight for), is innaccurate even at short distances, has no touch, has a run first approach, and telegraphs his passes. There is nothing there to develop. He'd just be taking up a roster spot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Okay, this is where you are misinformed.

Backup QBs get very little practice snaps. 3rd stringe QBs get practically 0 practice snaps. The biggest benefit of sitting back on the bench it that it gives a player more years to master the system.

Tebow's biggest problem is his mechanics. He needs to work a lot on his footwork and mechanics, something that havent practice reps would help with.

If he's going to improve, McDaniels or the QB coach would have to spend even more time with Tebow to help him with the problems with his physical tools. This would be time away from other players, who arguably have more to offer on the field. To me, that's a negative.

If Tebow wants to improve as a QB, he needs to go to the CFL or AFL and work on his skills. Sitting on the bench and getting little practice time would do him no good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

time will tell if BB brings him in. Like I said, I hope BB doesnt, but it wouldnt surprise me if he did.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

At least his NFL career would be over then and we could all move on, I'm starting to change my opinion, lets bring him in...

Sections
Shortcuts