......Teddy Bridgewater coming in today also

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

......Teddy Bridgewater coming in today also

Email

Report: Teddy Bridgewater visiting Patriots on Wednesday too Posted by Josh Alper on April 2, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT 68c743b0faeb9168c01181c723a658e4Getty Images

It looks like Johnny Football will have some company in Foxboro on Wednesday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that the Patriots will be hosting Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater for a pre-draft visit. Bridgewater’s trip will come on the same day that Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel visits a team that isn’t expected to be in the market for a quarterback when they pick at the end of the first round. The Patriots also met with Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles, who joins Bridgewater and Manziel atop most lists of draft-eligible quarterbacks, last week.

Mike Florio suggested on Tuesday night that the Patriots could be using a meeting with Manziel to gauge his potential trade value if he should fall to the later parts of the first round, something that could also be true of Bridgewater and Bortles even if they’ve generated less heated responses on both sides of the fence than the former Heisman Trophy winner.

There are other possibilities for the rationale for using two of their 30 pre-draft visits on quarterbacks expected to be off the board before the Patriots select, including, of course, the possibility that the Patriots want to keep the door open to selecting one should things break a different way. Whatever the reason, Wednesday is looking like a busy day for quarterbacks in New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ......Teddy Bridgewater coming in today also

I never get the gauge his trade value statements. His trade value is what other teams are willing to trade to get him. Unless the Pats are serious about picking him if they don't get the value the seek (which I can't see being the case) then his value is what the highest bidder is willing to give vs what player you would take at that spot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

If Manziel was available when the Patriots drafted then they'd be stupid not to take him. Mallet is gone either before this season via a trade or he'll walk after the season as a free agent. Granted Manziel needs to mature a bit as a player but first mature as a person who is allegedly serious about putting a pro career together. He'd be a steal if he fell to the end of the first round.

The Patriots have no plan in place to replace Brady. They would be foolish to pass on Manziel if he falls that far down in the first round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to ROWDYRODRUST's comment:

If Manziel was available when the Patriots drafted then they'd be stupid not to take him. Mallet is gone either before this season via a trade or he'll walk after the season as a free agent. Granted Manziel needs to mature a bit as a player but first mature as a person who is allegedly serious about putting a pro career together. He'd be a steal if he fell to the end of the first round.

The Patriots have no plan in place to replace Brady. They would be foolish to pass on Manziel if he falls that far down in the first round.

agree. I know he is small but the kid can throw a football . I would not let it pass as well. The problem is it is a mute point he is not going to be there when the pats pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I disagree.  The Pats are in a "win now" phase for the next 3-4 seasons so I see them either selecting based on need (DT, OL, TE) or trading down to accumulate more picks being that it's a very deep draft.  I don't think they waste a first rounder on a kid who may or may not pan out as a pro QB.  Plus, Brady still has another 2-3 seasons of being elite and then a few more seasons of being a good game manager.  I see him playing into his early 40s like he has mentioned recently.  

I think they draft his replacement in 2016 or 2017

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I disagree.  The Pats are in a "win now" phase for the next 3-4 seasons so I see them either selecting based on need (DT, OL, TE) or trading down to accumulate more picks being that it's a very deep draft.  I don't think they waste a first rounder on a kid who may or may not pan out as a pro QB.  Plus, Brady still has another 2-3 seasons of being elite and then a few more seasons of being a good game manager.  I see him playing into his early 40s like he has mentioned recently.  

Don't know how they are going to get him but I'm hoping the next guy  for  NE is Marcus Mariotta. He is has all the physical tools but went back to Oregon to work on his footwork and mechanics supposedly. From what i have seen of him over the last 2 years his best attribute is his decision making which is something most young QB's struggle with. Doubtful they can land him but one can hope.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Never hurts to kick the tires on any player who could add value to the team.

Given Mallet's status, how long does he want to wait before he actually becomes a starter, can get him itchy to move on.  Any QB drafted this season could be the closest, if not next year's draft, to being groomed as TB's replacement in the next 2 - 3 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Don't know how they are going to get him but I'm hoping the next guy  for  NE is Marcus Mariotta. He is has all the physical tools but went back to Oregon to work on his footwork and mechanics supposedly. From what i have seen of him over the last 2 years his best attribute is his decision making which is something most young QB's struggle with. Doubtful they can land him but one can hope.

Hey jri, always liked Mariota as well.  That high-tempo Oregon offense is fun to watch.  He was an electrifying college player and I think he'll do okay in the NFL but I'm just so biased towards the prototypical pocket-QB.  The game is definitely evolving where every QB in college these days is a dual-threat so I guess I just need to get with the times.

As you said, he's a great decision maker.  I think he only had like 6 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.  His stats might be a little skewed due to the high number of plays that offense ran but he is definitely an intriguing prospect.

Just found this: Mariota Entering Draft After All

Very QB heavy draft.  I wonder where he goes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Never hurts to kick the tires on any player who could add value to the team.

Given Mallet's status, how long does he want to wait before he actually becomes a starter, can get him itchy to move on.  Any QB drafted this season could be the closest, if not next year's draft, to being groomed as TB's replacement in the next 2 - 3 years.

Hey Bill.  Hope all is well.  Now that the weather is getting better you need to get out on the greens and golf!  Nothing like early spring golfing in VA.

I don't think Mallett comes back.  I think it would be extremely stupid if he did, honestly.  Brady has recently stated that he wants to play into his 40s and until the Pats "don't want him anymore."  As I alluded to above, I think he has another 5-6 seasons as a Pat.  Mallett can get a shot at a starting gig somewhere else.  Hopefully BB pulls off a trade and at least gets something in return for him.  It would suck if we used a 3rd round pick on a kid with great talent and he rode the bench for 4 seasons without getting any ROI

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Hey jri, always liked Mariota as well.  That high-tempo Oregon offense is fun to watch.  He was an electrifying college player and I think he'll do okay in the NFL but I'm just so biased towards the prototypical pocket-QB.  The game is definitely evolving where every QB in college these days is a dual-threat so I guess I just need to get with the times.

As you said, he's a great decision maker.  I think he only had like 6 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.  His stats might be a little skewed due to the high number of plays that offense ran but he is definitely an intriguing prospect.

Is this confirmed??? if so... WOW! i saw the date on the article is it possible that this is an April Fools joke?

If not i think this kid has the most upside of all the QB's coming out.

I really think his strength is his pocket presence and poise. It looks like he already has the ability to go through multiple progressions

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Is this confirmed??? if so... WOW! i saw the date on the article is it possible that this is an April Fools joke?

I really think his strength is his pocket presence and poise. It looks like he already has the ability to go through multiple progressions

If this is true I'd take I had him,I have home ranked second after manziel on my draft board, I think he is staying in school though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Damn....***facepalms self***

I'm sure it was an April Fool's joke being that the rule is you have to declare for the draft by the deadline and there are no ifs ands or buts.  I just didn't look at the date

I'm usually pretty wary of whatever shocking/exciting news that I hear on April 1.  The last time I was "duped" was back in 2007 when bostondirtdogs posted that Manny was retiring.  I almost cried.  What a sick, sick holiday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I'm sure it was an April Fool's joke being that the rule is you have to declare for the draft by the deadline and there are no ifs ands or buts.  I just didn't look at the date

I'm usually pretty wary of whatever shocking/exciting news that I hear on April 1.  The last time I was "duped" was back in 2007 when bostondirtdogs posted that Manny was retiring.  I almost cried.  What a sick, sick holiday.

No worries, it made for a good discussion... I watch a good amount of college football and the eyeball test tells me this kid is going to be an NFL ready QB the year he comes out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

Didn't we also bring in Jake Locker for a look a couple years back? I think this is just BB getting info on guys who could potentially slide. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

A nice dream. Mariotta will go early next year. The only threat of him not being the #1 QB next year is probably Winston, who I believe becomes elligible too. The kid has already won everything in college. If JW shows steady next year, he will be the top QB. Mariota second. However, both will go high in the first round.

Mariotta's decision to stay in school was good and should impress evaluators next year.

He is probably not a good fit with the Pats scheme. So, no, the Pats are not stupid to not take him at 29 if he's available.

No Way!!! Must be a joke. Has there been exceptions before? 

• Sections
    Shortcuts