Tedy Bruschi on ESPN...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Tedy Bruschi on ESPN...

So Tedy and 7 other SB winners were asked what must you have to be a SB champion.  Most said good QB, organization ect.

TBs answer, you gotta have locker room leaders, guys who teach and echo the coaches voice.  Said, Coach BB says "do you job" he said well what is that how do you do that and his answer was leaders.

We have lost those leaders and have nobody on the roster other than TB, maybe VW that can take that role but I don't think Tom can be the only guy.

I really hope that what ever happens this offseason we find a few leaders who buy into BBs system, message and enforce that through out the team  Without those guys coming from a 3 time SB winner, a team will not make it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Tedy Bruschi on ESPN...

Losing Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, and Vrabel all in the same year definitely hurt from a leadership standpoint.  It was clear that the attitude was a bit different this year.  

I do think however that there are guys on this team who can step up and be those leaders, and I don't think it takes having a Super Bowl ring to be one.  I think Welker emerged this year as a leader (he single handedly woke the team up in the Carolina game), and guys like Wilfork, who you mentioned, Warren, Mayo, Sanders, etc. can be those guys if they take it upon themselves to be more vocal and outward.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I expect to see a number of guys taking it upon themselves to step up and take more of a leadership role on the team, because you're right, Brady can't do it alone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Agree some emerge but you can also bring guys who have a history of been a strong leader, a guy who make other players better and gets them motivated (a la Spikes Florida). 

pye I don't think those guys you mentioned are not the vocal leaders needed.  Also a guy (Sanders) who's sitting on the bench usually is not respected enough to be the guy echoing BBs message.

What ever happens a few players need to take over those roles played by the lost veterans.

oh and STP you can teach someone how to be a leader so it is possible, it is whether they choose to take over that role or they are just happy to sit back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

There have been many articles about how respected Sanders is in the locker room, as well as Mayo, and I don't think you need to be a starter to be a leader, but I do agree that bringing in more leaders, especially defensively, would help.  

I think Mayo is going to be the leader of this defense for the future though.  He's a natural born leader.   Brady and Welker (when he's back) are good for the offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4674778/another-perspective-on-pats-struggles

Eric Alexander echos, no leadership in the D. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

We really could have used Vrabel's presence in the locker room this past year.

BB seems to always want to test his limits in various ways.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I've seen similar leadership problems in the military.  The thing is when you have well established leaders like Vrabel, Seymour, Bruschi they hinder younger guys from taking the leadership role.   For example nobody was going to listen to "player X" because he wasn't a leader, Bruschi was.  Now that those guys are gone, leaders will emerge, but it may take some time.  When young guys come in they will look at Wilfork, Mayo, Meriweather etc for leadership and those guys will probably take that role on now.  Hopefully they do anyway, training camp is where the leaders will establish themselves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Don't forget Faulk (assuming he comes back).  He has become more of a vocal leader on this team too.  That's why I'd love to draft Spikes.  He would bring some heart, soul and swagger back to the D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'll take a pass rush, a legit 3rd receiver, an O line that can block and a couple of corners that can cover over Locker Room Leaders. 

I have never herd of a game being won in a locker room.  Locker rooms are for getting changed.  Well coached talented players win games on the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Leadership is definetly lacking on this team. I was at two games this year where I saw Guyton and Merriweather Bebopin to the stadium music in between plays, they danced right up until the snap. You'd think they would be focusing on lining up correctly for the play ( Especialy Merriweather).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats7393

In Alexanders article he bla bla bla's leadership but more often describes, in not so many words, mental and physical toughness. 

The patriots used to be known for having the most mid level guys. Not too many bums and not many superstars. A bunch of hungry squirrels trying to get to the next level and earn their nut.

A team that would happily take a punch on the mouth just so they could give you one in return. They relished in it. They were brawlers. They lived, breathed and ate football. They had attitude and passion. Not a showy swagger but a quiet angry confidence. They did not know the meaning of quit or give up.

I still remember them interviewing Matt Light after the 3rd super bowl and asking him about dynasty and him saying something like "I don't know but what I like about that word is the nasty part because that's what we are. We're nasty."

I would like the Patriot way we grew to admire back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

Its not about leadership in the locker room, they have janitors for that! Its leadership on the FIELD! Making plays, busting heads, killing refs, garbbing cheerleader buttocks! Not this locker room sissy nonsense!
    Doesnt anyone remember Dick Butkiss? or Ed Too Tall Jones? what about Dan Marino? ahh yeah what about Dan Marino, ok so forget Dan Marino. My point is if you dont get it done on the field and show your team mates that your gonna kill anything that moves and you got their backs, then the locker room is only for crying about how you lost!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Cannot say enough about leadership- as per Ted Bruschi,  the total LACK of it on the D side of the Patriots. And in selecting draft choices, this must be the #1 quality in a prospect, before the pyhsical ones. In the last 2-3 drafts, it did not appear to be a requisite to BB. I invite ALL Pat fans to add threir similar suggestions.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I'll take a pass rush, a legit 3rd receiver, an O line that can block and a couple of corners that can cover over Locker Room Leaders.  
    I have never herd of a game being won in a locker room.  Locker rooms are for getting changed.  Well coached talented players win games on the field.

Never played a team sport, right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Enoch I guess you never did play a team sport, teams who have players that give a damn about each other play harder and better in moments of adversity.  When someone is to the breaking point close to muscle failure the want not to let their team mates down in more powerful than skill at that point.

This type of trust, friendship camaraderie is not just built on the playing field.  I guess if you did play sports you were a "TO" type player its all about me then me after me is myself and then I.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

As posted, the losses of Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Seymour, all in one year, have taken another thing out of the locker, IMHO, the "I hate to lose a game!!" mentality!  Did any of you get the feeling this season that the Patriots, as a whole, did not have the drive to win EVERY SINGLE game as in prior years?  Some of those late INTs by Brady was him trying to do TOO MUCH on his own?  There just didn't seem to be that energy they were out to win every game.  How do you explain so many second half collapses??!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"Never played a team sport, right."

I see your taking shots again.  You do that a lot, right.  Why? 

It's ugly and puts you on the same level as that mighty person. 

Sections
Shortcuts