Tedy Bruschi: Once A Great Player, Now A Negative Nancy.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Tedy Bruschi: Once A Great Player, Now A Negative Nancy.

In Response to Re: Tedy Bruschi: Once A Great Player, Now A Negative Nancy.:
    [QUOTE]I guess you have to have 3 rings to have a objective post and not get bashed.. I think I have already paraphrased what Bruschi is saying...  its gonna be a tough year (let me use the word) unless the running game can keep a defense somewhat honest. This defense has to get off the field on 3rd down more often than not.  Its to hard to keep leads with a passing game.  There are far to many players on this defense that have to play at a high level imo  I feel at least 2-3 have to play at pro bowl level even if not selected and I don"t see it. Disclaimer... all in my opinion
    Posted by DBCoach[/QUOTE]

You may think you share the same concerns as Bruschi but you do come across very, very differently.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Two things come to mind. 

1. Who cares.  Yes he was negative.  Saying players are injured is a fact, saying the Pats are weak defensively is an opinion.  Time will tell how this team works.  Yes, Bruschi is an expert in football more than most or all of the people here but his opinion on how well the Pats do holds no more validity than anyone else's.  Every year 32 teams, each with dozens of experts think they have made the moves to win a Super Bowl,  31 are wrong.  Experts rarely pick the SB winner, nobody knows.  I trust Tedy to break down game tape and tell me why plays failed or worked but assessing a complete team is a science that nobody has ever figured out.  It's 90% guess, 10% facts.  He may be right, the defense could be good or bad 50/50 shot.

2.  I think sometimes players have trouble accepting how easily replaced they are.  If he asserts that Spikes, Merriweather, and all the rest of the guys look great than it's like saying that he and his teammates who made up the Pats are not as unique and special because they have been replaced in a few short years. 

I was surprised how much stock he put into the Giants game.  The Pats had offensive players on defense and were in no way attempting to put a competitive team on the field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Bruschi's assessment seems pretty fair to me. Losing guys like Bodden, Warren, and Mankins will hurt.  The guys behind them are quite young and untested.  What we need to hope for this season is that the young guys progress quickly.  If that happens this will be a great year--and exciting to watch, much like 2001, when a callow team came from nowhere to win the super bowl.  But there's a real possibility this defense will just struggle all year.  We don't really know the players' talent level yet because they haven't been on the field much.  We just have to wait and see how it turns out.  That's why they play the games.  (Well, that and advertising revenue.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I thought he was pretty spot on with most of his analysis.  But he did really put alittle to much of a negitive spin I think as well.

The offense is just OK?  I think there better then OK.

Do they have injuries sure.  But he could have also pointed out that injuries give young guys a chance to step in and prove themselves.  Remember the doom and gloom when Bledsoe went down?  How did that Brady kid work out?

I'm not saying that every guy that steps in will be as successful as Brady, but every situation can have a positive and negitive side.  He just seemed to be focusing on every negitive thing and none of the positives. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Tedy is telling you how it is. How he sees it. No sugarcoating. That being said I would much rather see Tedy's talents be used as a LB coach for the Pats.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I say nuke him... Well at least a MOAB, maybe a hellfire from a predator drone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think Tedy calls it straight, which is what he should do.  Hi is not a Pats homer, which some people want him to be.  I like Tedy and Rodney Harrison, neither is afraid to speak his mind. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

im still trying to figure out what he said that was incorrect?

my guess is...in talking about pre-season (in which i think everyone of us can admit that didnt go well) for the pats...there was a pre-conceived notion that not everything mr. bruschi was going to say was going to be full of warm and fuzzies and when it wasnt...he goes from homer to hater

not entirely different when i see espn reporting on the marlins...its always generally bad despite the fact that only one team in baseball has more titles than the fish do since 93'

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

if you note at the very end of the article he states he sees the pats having a successful season....  

think about it... when pats go in and watch film and BB sees a play you think hes saying anything nice???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

I've always liked Tedy's spirit and his play. However, he had to be told to retire and it hurt his pride.  We observed how he was run over the last two years and of course Mayo's play was a credit to HIM and Vrabel.  It is hard to accept that you are not indispensable. He seems to be in the camp of "Pay the player whatever he wants".

Thanks again Tedy for all of your great play over the years and please try to be more positive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]I've always liked Tedy's spirit and his play. However, he had to be told to retire and it hurt his pride.  We observed how he was run over the last two years and of course Mayo's play was a credit to HIM and Vrabel.  It is hard to accept that you are not indispensable. He seems to be in the camp of "Pay the player whatever he wants". Thanks again Tedy for all of your great play over the years and please try to be more positive.
    Posted by allancrain[/QUOTE]

I see it as Tedy had to go through training camp to realize that he could no longer hack it physically.  He loved the game and it was hard to let go, and Belichick gave him the option to retire with dignity, something that he deserved as a career Patriot.  I don't think he's wrong that even as a shadow of his former self that he could help a guy like Mayo adjust to the NFL.

I think I'd lose respect for Tedy if he was a cheerleader rather than objective.  I don't think he's bitter, he just realizes that he's being paid to give an opinion regardless of its slant.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This thread has taught me the obvious; it pays to be Tedy Bruschi.  Many of the same people saying "he's just telling it like it is" would slam any poster, who after a game, only posted all the bad things about the game and not one single good thing.  There were a lot of good things from the preseason too.  How about our TE's?  How about McCoutry?  How about Spikes?  How about Chung's progression?  How about Brace looking like he might make a 2nd year leap (albeit a limited look).  How about Brady's backup Hoyer?  How about Brady looking real sharp?  How about Welker's amazing recovery?  How about Moss looking a few years younger?  How about the offense looking like it might be better than OK?

"Negative Nancy" is a bit strong, but he did choose to mention only the negative about the players, and only discussed the good when prodded by Reiss.  His lone unprompted compliment was about the coaches.  mthurl is correct in saying this board would rip apart anyone saying the same things.  Yes, Bruschi was correct about what he said.  Yes, he accentuated the negative and minimized the positive.  Yes, being Tedy Bruschi has benefits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

[QUOTE]Being objective about THESE Patriots is not being a Negative Nancy. It's being objective. The DL has Big Vince and TBA. The LBs have Mayo, Spikes (still a rookie, though he looks damn good) and JAGs. The secondary is so young that Brandon Merriweather is seen as its leader at this point. While he has first round talent and sometimes shows that, he also sometimes has his head up his butt. We need to see the Butler/McCourty CB tandem for many games before we can say "Yeah, they'll be OK". These are facts. This D is suspect at this point. Did you ever SEE this team before Belichick/Brady?
    Posted by Settle
    Down[/QUOTE]

To be fair the question should be... Did you see this team before Parcells and Orthweins(sp?) That tandem actually savrd the franchise for New England and started the transition to the modern era,

The defense does have question marks. Bruscji did point the out.Could BB have made some waive moves to help the devensive line this last week? Dob't know.It seems many teams are cutting and passing on big name talent

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Just listened to Tedy and Mike Reiss on ESPN Boston Podcast and I really enjoyed it He was fair and honest in his opinions (if you can't stand to hear him say --Jets will win the division don't bother listening.) But he backs up what he says with great insight into the Patriots and football

I'm looking forward to tuning in thro out the season to hear what Mike and Tedi have to say.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]This thread has taught me the obvious; it pays to be Tedy Bruschi.  Many of the same people saying "he's just telling it like it is" would slam any poster, who after a game, only posted all the bad things about the game and not one single good thing.  There were a lot of good things from the preseason too.  How about our TE's?  How about McCoutry?  How about Spikes?  How about Chung's progression?  How about Brace looking like he might make a 2nd year leap (albeit a limited look).  How about Brady's backup Hoyer?  How about Brady looking real sharp?  How about Welker's amazing recovery?  How about Moss looking a few years younger?  How about the offense looking like it might be better than OK? "Negative Nancy" is a bit strong, but he did choose to mention only the negative about the players, and only discussed the good when prodded by Reiss.  His lone unprompted compliment was about the coaches.  mthurl is correct in saying this board would rip apart anyone saying the same things.  Yes, Bruschi was correct about what he said.  Yes, he accentuated the negative and minimized the positive.  Yes, being Tedy Bruschi has benefits.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Caraway, I don't disagree with you entirely, but it is ridiculous when some fans come here and say "this team s-ucks" based on the preseason and offer no other reasons to back up their opinion.  It's not that the opinion is invalid, it's just that if you're throwing it out there back it up with some substance.  Typing in all caps and adding exclamation points shouldn't pass as an opinion around here.

I fully admit that I tend to be a glass half full guy, and I try to take things at face value, or at least I give the benefit of the doubt.  (Any other cliches I can throw out there?)  I don't know everything about sports, but one thing I do know is that to proclaim a team DOA before they take a meaningful snap is just plain silly.  So your point that Bruschi gets some slack is true.  But the guy played in the NFL for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about football.  So naturally people give him some deference.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tedy Bruschi: Once A Great Player, Now A Negative Nancy. : To be fair the question should be... Did you see this team before Parcells and Orthweins(sp?) That tandem actually savrd the franchise for New England and started the transition to the modern era, The defense does have question marks. Bruscji did point the out.Could BB have made some waive moves to help the devensive line this last week? Dob't know.It seems many teams are cutting and passing on big name talent
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

The main leadership of this team in the SB years were parcell players  I think those players are gone and took that Parcells attitude ..  I think it was passed on to a few players like Brady.  but the Bruschi, law, miginist, ted johnson troy browns are now gone  and it shows

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I honestly appreciate his candor. I don't think Tedy would say anything to hurt the team, and he ISN'T paid to be a cheerleader.

He is highlighting the flaws here. That is probably why he was part of so many championship teams ... the ability to be self-critical is part and parcel of being great.

In the end, I would rather hear it from him than some numb-nuts that doesn't know diddly about the NE organization. I especially like his praise of Mayo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tedy Bruschi: Once A Great Player, Now A Negative Nancy. : The main leadership of this team in the SB years were parcell players  I think those players are gone and took that Parcells attitude ..  I think it was passed on to a few players like Brady.  but the Bruschi, law, miginist, ted johnson troy browns are now gone  and it shows
    Posted by DBCoach[/QUOTE]

yeah, Bill Parcells........ real instiller of character.  NO.  HIS type of character left with him to the JETS. Curtis Martin.  A me first, me second kind of guy.  No thanks.  Good riddance to Parcells.  

As far as Tedy goes, I thought he was giving his real opinion.  He knows about playing defensive line, he did it in college.  He sure knows about playing linebacker.  I did think his comments about Gronkowski were a bit negative, all players can blow an assignment now and then.  Other than that, you can't question it, but I think it will work out fine for the team with what we have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly appreciate his candor. I don't think Tedy would say anything to hurt the team, and he ISN'T paid to be a cheerleader. He is highlighting the flaws here. That is probably why he was part of so many championship teams ... the ability to be self-critical is part and parcel of being great. In the end, I would rather hear it from him than some numb-nuts that doesn't know diddly about the NE organization. I especially like his praise of Mayo.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement with what Brushci said but people just differ on whether or not he could have emphased some of the positives.

I agree with carawaydj's post above about all the positives he could have mentioned.

So its not like I think Teddy was wrong but when the question is asked "what do you think about the pats" and the respones is negative, negative, negative and no positives then I do think he was alittle too negative.  As people pointed out at the end he says he thinks the season would be "succesful", but all he did was mention negatives.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"This thread has taught me the obvious; it pays to be Tedy Bruschi.  Many of the same people saying "he's just telling it like it is" would slam any poster, who after a game, only posted all the bad things about the game and not one single good thing."

CarawayDJ,

Yes you have stated the obvious, but what exactly is the point of your post? Are you saying Tedy was harsh? Are you saying Tedy was correct? Are you saying Tedy has more insight on the team then us fans who only know what we get from media? If so then I think most here agree. Yes a Pats fan on this board will argue with people who paint a picture of doom for this team because we have good reason to believe(past performances) that will not be the case. Tedy also says he thinks things will come around but for now this team has issues(as do 31 other teams in the league at this point).

I think there is quite a difference between "Bashing" posters who speak negatively about the Pats and debating with said posters. The people who come on here with the over the top posts like, "This team has no chance of making the playoffs" are going to get it pretty good on a Patriot board. Nothing shocking here except their view point. Maybe if we were Detroit Lions fans then we would have a tough time "Bashing" them. Or debating them for that matter.

I'm not sure why the concept that Tedy's opinion being valued higher then a guy like Captain Smurf (or whatever his name is)  is so crazy?

Anyway DJ I'm just trying to figure out what stance you are taking about this particular topic.

Sections
Shortcuts