Tedy Bruschi says one of Patriots needs is Running Back???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Tedy Bruschi says one of Patriots needs is Running Back???

Getting back to the topic of bigger RBs

Last time the Patriots had a bigger RB that was a big part of the offensive game plan was when they had Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon. What made them successful was they were able to gain short yardage just often enough to move the chains, and, during the end of a close game, they both stepped up their game to run the ball consistently enough to move the chains AND run down the  clock.  I think most would agree that while Smith and Dillon were with the Patriots; neither could break one over 10 yards very often. So, apart from Dillon's 2004 effort, they had not really been a top 10 team rushing leader with a bigger RB.  Besides, it was more how they used their RBs. The Patriots did not blow away teams regularly. They kept themselves in games, and won quite a few close scoring games.

By 2005, Dillon's production went down. In 2006, Laura Baloney joined the team and BB chose to go with Running back by committee.

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about re: RB position. They might want to add a RB for depth, but Bolden, Ridley, and Vereen is a pretty darn good corp.  I think they have a couple of choices here. Add a FB for depth, or keep who you have and use Bolden for short yardage situations.  If Gronk and Ballard aren't on the team/field at the same time - it would be a good idea to pick up another blocking TE or a FB. Another TE can vie for a spot vs. Hooman and whoever else is still on the roster.

2002 = #28, Faulk, Edwards, Redman

2003 = #27, Faulk, McCrary, Redman, Pass

2004 = #7 Dillon, Cloud, Pass (TE Graham)

2005 = #24 Dillon, Cobbs, Eckel, Faulk, Pass (TE Fauria, Graham, Watson)

2006 = #12 Dillon, Cobbs,  Faulk, Thomas, Baloney (TE Graham, Thomas, Watson)

2007 = #13 Evans, Faulk, Baloney, Morris (TE Brady, Mills, Watson)

2008 =  #6 Eckel, Evans (FB), Faulk, Baloney, Morris (TE Watson, Pollard, Thomas, Spach)

2009 =  #12 Faulk, Baloney, Law Firm, Morris, Fragile Fred (TE Watson, Thomas, Baker, Smith)

2010 = #9 Faulk, Boloney,  Law Firm, Morris, Fragile Fred (TE Crumpler, Gronk, Hernandez)

2011 = #20 Faulk, Law Firm, Ridley, Vereen, Woody, Polite (Gronk, Hernandez)

2012 = #7 Bolden, Ridley, Vereen, Woody (Fells, Gronk, Hernandez, Hooman)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

From The Mayo Clinic. They've got a pretty good reputation.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/performance-enhancing-drugs/HQ01105

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Last time the Patriots had a bigger RB that was a big part of the offensive game plan was when they had Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon. What made them successful was they were able to gain short yardage just often enough to move the chains, and, during the end of a close game, they both stepped up their game to run the ball consistently enough to move the chains AND run down the  clock.  I think most would agree that while Smith and Dillon were with the Patriots; neither could break one over 10 yards very often. So, apart from Dillon's 2004 effort, they had not really been a top 10 team rushing leader with a bigger RB.  Besides, it was more how they used their RBs. The Patriots did not blow away teams regularly. They kept themselves in games, and won quite a few close scoring games.

By 2005, Dillon's production went down. In 2006, Laura Baloney joined the team and BB chose to go with Running back by committee.

I think there's a lot to be optimistic about re: RB position. They might want to add a RB for depth, but Bolden, Ridley, and Vereen is a pretty darn good corp.  I think they have a couple of choices here. Add a FB for depth, or keep who you have and use Bolden for short yardage situations.  If Gronk and Ballard aren't on the team/field at the same time - it would be a good idea to pick up another blocking TE or a FB. Another TE can vie for a spot vs. Hooman and whoever else is still on the roster.

2008 =  #6 Eckel, Evans (FB), Faulk, Baloney, Morris (TE Watson, Pollard, Thomas, Spach)

2009 =  #12 Faulk, Baloney, Law Firm, Morris, Fragile Fred (TE Watson, Thomas, Baker, Smith)

2010 = #9 Faulk, Boloney,  Law Firm, Morris, Fragile Fred (TE Crumpler, Gronk, Hernandez)

I tend to think we've always had a bigger back while Belichick has been here (at least as the lead runner). I forget how big Law Firm was...maybe 215-220? He probably was more on the smaller side, but he didn't have smaller back skills...speed, cutting ability, pass catching, make you miss qualities, etc. I keep looking at this kid coming out of Wisconsin - it would be nice to have one guy that could do it all - there would be no more subbing runners in and making things predictable. I do like Ridley, but I've got to say I expected him to help carry this team in the playoffs - that Raven's game left a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is young and he keeps putting the ball on the ground - I seriously doubt Belichick has a good feeling about that type of play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

I tend to think we've always had a bigger back while Belichick has been here (at least as the lead runner). I forget how big Law Firm was...maybe 215-220? He probably was more on the smaller side, but he didn't have smaller back skills...speed, cutting ability, pass catching, make you miss qualities, etc. I keep looking at this kid coming out of Wisconsin - it would be nice to have one guy that could do it all - there would be no more subbing runners in and making things predictable. I do like Ridley, but I've got to say I expected him to help carry this team in the playoffs - that Raven's game left a bad taste in my mouth. This guy is young and he keeps putting the ball on the ground - I seriously doubt Belichick has a good feeling about that type of play.

I cant blame Ridley for fumbling on that specific play. The defender flat out starched him! Seriously, he went down like hor got hit with an overhand right. I don't care who was carrying the ball, they would have dropped it too. I will agree that Riley does need to work on ball security  Lets hope he does because the Pats need him to be productive this year. Go Pats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I too would also like to see them go to one back who they could use to try to do it all (run, block, screen, play action).

Ridley did have some problems with fumbilitis. He drops the rock 1.32 times/100 carries. For comparison, Faulk (who also had problems early in his career) is at 1.27/100 carries. Obviously, it's hard to compete against law firm, who is at 0.38/100 carries. For comparison's sake, Steve Jackson is at 0.75 fumbles/100 touches - and he does this full time vs. RBBC.

So, yes, Ridley needs to work on protecting the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Heck yes, Ridley needs to learn to protect that ball.  Just when I think a lack of playing time do to his fumbles has somehow changed him,  he ends up putting the ball on the ground again. I really like him as a RB but man the dude scares me every time he has the ball. 

Sections
Shortcuts