tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/13/tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady generated 517 passing yards on Monday night.  Subtracting the contributions from Patriots receiver Chad Ochocinco, Brady still had more than 500 yards.

On Tuesday, Ochocinco posted an item on Twitter suggesting that he was in awe of the team’s performance on offense.  Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi wasn’t in awe of Ochocinco’s tweet.

Tedy teed off on Ochocinco during a visit to WEEI, via Tom Curran of CSNNE.com.

“Drop the awe factor, OK, Ocho, Chad, drop the awe factor,” Bruschi said. “You’re not a fan, all right.  You’re not someone who’s on another team or watching TV.  You’re not an analyst.  You’re a part of it. They want you to be a part of it.  So get with the program because obviously you’re not getting it and you’re tweeting because you’re saying, ‘It’s amazing to see’?  It’s amazing to see because you don’t understand it.  You still don’t understand it and it’s amazing to you because you can’t get it.

“Stop tweeting and get in your playbook.  Wake up!  If you’re just waking up now — I don’t know when this was, six minutes ago? — get out your bed and get to the stadium and watch some film if you still think it’s amazing.  If you’re in it and you know what you’re doing and you execute out there you don’t think it’s amazing.  You know why? Because it’s what you’re supposed to do.  All of a sudden it’s second nature.  ‘I know I was supposed do that, yes I went 99 yards, I threw for 517.  You know why?  Because we’re that good and that’s what we’re supposed to do and that’s what I thought we were gonna do.’  You are still in awe to be a member of the New England Patriots offense. Join the system, buddy.”

So what’s the solution?  “They need him to be a part of that jaw dropping offense,” Bruschi said.  “Close your mouth.  Put your hand under your chin and close your jaw.  Then open your eyes and watch some film.  That’s what you need to do.  If you’re still in awe that means you don’t get it because you don’t understand it.”

Bruschi’s attitude comes from years in the Patriots’ system.  So it’s fair to conclude that at least some of the players on the team — and maybe the head coach — agree with Bruschi’s attitude.  And so it’ll be interesting to see how things go for Ochocinco moving forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

Re: tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/

Someone started this discussion already..Bruschi is 100% right...the article makes the statements appear personal, but I was listening to WEEI yesterday when Bruschi said all of this...He basically says Chad needs to stop watching in awe and begin contributing to it..he's not a fan..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/:
    [QUOTE]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/13/tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady generated 517 passing yards on Monday night.  Subtracting the contributions from Patriots receiver Chad Ochocinco , Brady still had more than 500 yards. On Tuesday, Ochocinco posted an item on Twitter suggesting that he was in awe of the team’s performance on offense .  Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi wasn’t in awe of Ochocinco’s tweet. Tedy teed off on Ochocinco during a visit to WEEI, via Tom Curran of CSNNE.com . “Drop the awe factor, OK, Ocho, Chad, drop the awe factor,” Bruschi said. “You’re not a fan, all right.  You’re not someone who’s on another team or watching TV.  You’re not an analyst.  You’re a part of it. They want you to be a part of it.  So get with the program because obviously you’re not getting it and you’re tweeting because you’re saying, ‘It’s amazing to see’?  It’s amazing to see because you don’t understand it.  You still don’t understand it and it’s amazing to you because you can’t get it. “Stop tweeting and get in your playbook.  Wake up!  If you’re just waking up now — I don’t know when this was, six minutes ago? — get out your bed and get to the stadium and watch some film if you still think it’s amazing.  If you’re in it and you know what you’re doing and you execute out there you don’t think it’s amazing.  You know why? Because it’s what you’re supposed to do.  All of a sudden it’s second nature.  ‘I know I was supposed do that, yes I went 99 yards, I threw for 517.  You know why?  Because we’re that good and that’s what we’re supposed to do and that’s what I thought we were gonna do.’  You are still in awe to be a member of the New England Patriots offense. Join the system, buddy.” So what’s the solution?  “They need him to be a part of that jaw dropping offense,” Bruschi said.  “Close your mouth.  Put your hand under your chin and close your jaw.  Then open your eyes and watch some film.  That’s what you need to do.  If you’re still in awe that means you don’t get it because you don’t understand it.” Bruschi’s attitude comes from years in the Patriots’ system.  So it’s fair to conclude that at least some of the players on the team — and maybe the head coach — agree with Bruschi’s attitude.  And so it’ll be interesting to see how things go for Ochocinco moving forward.
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

Bruschi is 1000% correct. It's time to grow up, Chad...you're not in Cincinnati anymore. Your in the big-time son, playing for a organization whose sole focus is to win a championship...not set records.

So, change your attitude. Excellence is both expected and demanded, in New England. Throw away the twitter, pick up your playbook, watch film, and put in the time to do whatever it takes to contribute.

Don't count too heavily on your friendship with BB. If you don't get with the program soon, you'll be gone. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Tedy... shut up.  Ocho...... nice catch.  Love the way you laid out.  Study next weeks game plan, settle in, relax.  Welcome to the side of town where you can EXPECT to win and feel bad when you don't.  It may take a month or so, but you will become accustomed to it.  We have some time.  Its cool.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I love Tedy but he has no clue about going into a new setting and performing. How long has Ocho had a playbook, six weeks?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Bruschi needs to decide if he is an announcer or a coach.  He complains about these players and many take him as an authority.  He has no more incite into what the Patriots are doing than any other reporter.  If Brady is saying Chad is coming along, I believe him.  It takes time to learn the Offense and Chad is working on it.  Will he make mistakes, yes.  Will he run the wrong routes at times, yes.  Will he eventually get it, yes.  If someone could read a playbook and be able to make the plays, than everyone would be a WR for the Patriots.  Chemistry takes time to develop.  Play changes on the field take time to learn.  This does not happen in a few weeks.  Look at Slater, it took him time but Brady is starting to look for him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I think Tedy  is trying convey to Ocho in a very public way--you re not going to make it the Patriots organization if you don't start acting like you re a part of it, I think what pizzed him off is Chad's comment about just waking up and getting started. It must have been after 4 pm when he tweeted that. I wonder how many Patriots were already at Gillette. Tedy does not hold back with his opinion s and thats what I like about him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Bruschis sure was special-I now know why the guy was so good-man I wish he could have played 4ever!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/:
    [QUOTE]I agree, twitter seems to be the most important thing to Ochostinko. Stop tweeting and start contributing.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother! Bruschi is spot on with this call.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

This is amusing considering every single thing I have ever read or heard is that Ocho has been putting in a ton of extra time trying to get better. Find proof he isn't. Total overreaction.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Chill out dude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

As long as Ocho "gets it" by week 8, I'll be fine with him.

You can't expect someone that has been playing in an inferior system his entire career with Garbage at QB to all of a sudden make a seamless transition to a very complex offense and at the same time build chemistry with the best QB in the league.

Chad was not needed last night, as evidenced by the stat lines of Brady, Welker, Hernandez, Gronk and Branch. Im sure if he was needed, he would have played more then he did. They are slowly bringing him up to speed and its fine by me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Well, I love Tedy but he's an analyst now making his bread and butter that way and he saying all the media football analyst things his employer expects him to say.  It's not personal, its business, sports media business. 

Is he right?  Based on Ohco's performance thus far, it seems so.  Ohco is a seven year veteran I think, so I guess he knows how the game of football is played and the basics of what a receiver is supposed to do.  He needs to mind meld with the play book and he needs to do it fast, or he'll be gone, count on it.  We do not need to carry a receiver who's supposed to be a star, who catches one pass per game, those are Brandon Tate numbers.

However, Tedy is looking back at his old team, looking for the story and the story this week was and is Ocho's lack of production.  That will remain the story as long as Ocho does nothing to step up his performance.  Ocho must know this, so he should take it as sign to start getting with the program.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I understand Tedy is an analyst now, and has to say certain things, but I also believe he knows BB, TB and this team better than any analyst, even Rodney. I respect Tedy's comments on Ocho.

I'm not taking anything away from Ocho...if TB says he's worked hard and wants to do the right things, I think that is a good sign he is putting in the time, and his production will come in a matter of time.

What is distrubing about his comments are what Tedy eluded to...meaning, they seem like someone on the outside looking in, not the inside looking out. Ocho needs to feel part of the team, rather than someone on the outside looking in in awe. i don't know if this is due to lack of production, or just proof that he is still learning the playbook.

I for one am cutting Ocho some slack. I don't expect him to put up crazy numbers in this offense...as long as he can contribute, and open things up for everyone else, I'm good with that role.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/ : That's how I felt last year when he was bashing BB and I felt he did that because the locker room lacked leaders in 2009 when his buddies Seymour and Vrabel were dealt. Then, BB has a nice looking draft and Bruschi is hammering BB  with how young the team is, etc, with the team going 14-2 and BB winning coach of the year. Translation?  Bruschi has no idea what is going on in that locker room, just like he didn't last year. Look, I love Bruschi as we all do, but his high horse antics here are out of line. He's making himself above the stuff he is covering. He's actually WORSE than Ocho here. I would say to Tedy, you are retired and this isn't your team anymore and you're not in THIS locker room. Totally out of line. I am not a fan of the Twitter stuff either, but there are literally hundreds of players who do it.  I also thought Ocho looked fine in the debut.  He was hauled down at the 3 after being supposed, self proclaimed "best CB" Vontae Davis. Brady can't target everyone, especially guys who JUST got a playbook 6 weeks ago.   As Mike Golic said, it will work and it just depends on how teams defend the  Pats. If Gronk, Hernandez are doubled, that's when we'll see Branch and Ocho benefit. Besides, what if Ocho simply said that AFTER the game when asked about the performance?  Who cares?  It was the 4th greatest passing game, yardage wise, anyway of all time! It was a Wow moment. However, this may be a good time for BB to sit Chad down and suggest a slight cooling on the Twitter activity, but Bruschi is way, way out of line. It's self righteous and arrogant. I agree with the people who say they are waiting to see how he progresses. That's how I would treat ANY new player into this system. It's a bonus when it's a Deion Branch, McCourty, Mayo, etc, types.  That's not going to happen every single time. Jon Gruden didn't even know what to say about Bruschi's wild overreaction. No one did, really. Bruschi is deep into these ESPN games and it's disappointing.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Sure, I agree but I reiterate that analysts of the NFL get paid to be provocative and he is doing what he NOW gets paid to do, which is analyze and be provocative.  Sometimes his analysis is spot on but at other times, such as this instance, he's pontificating based on the fact that he once played here.  Its expected and frankly I don't see it as treason but then I don't see it as real analysis either, its the provoctive side of his new business.  I can't get excited about it, moving on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Did anybody see Teddy when he first started his new job as an ESPN analyst?  He was a train wreck.  His timing was awful and he often struggled to find a chemistry with the other guys.  So I guess my point is that Teddy should back off on Chad for now.  If Ocho is still struggling to connect with Brady and this offense after the bye week then his points would be valid. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I really have to give Ocho a little leeway.

Had there been no lockout he would have been traded probably at the draft last April, and he'd have had 5 months to learn the playbook and schemes. Six weeks simply isn't enough time, especially with a system so complex.

Hey, on Monday night he made a nice sideline catch for a first down and then was CLEARLY interfered with at the 3-yard line, but the flag didn't come out. Had the refs thrown the flag there we'd be saying that Ocho had a pretty good game on Monday.

Bruschi clearly has learned the ESPN playbook by heart already--mouth off and stir up as much controversy as possible so that people will talk about what you said for three days afterwards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: tedy-bruschi-tees-off-on-ochocinco/ : Sure, I agree but I reiterate that analysts of the NFL get paid to be provocative and he is doing what he NOW gets paid to do, which is analyze and be provocative.  Sometimes his analysis is spot on but at other times, such as this instance, he's pontificating based on the fact that he once played here.  Its expected and frankly I don't see it as treason but then I don't see it as real analysis either, its the provoctive side of his new business.  I can't get excited about it, moving on.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]
    Spot on....Funny Rodney Harrision is doing pretty much the same thing on another network...Both are trying to create an on air persona.

The new cache on the networks is "The Patriot Way"...Since both spent time in the system they're insight to the inner workings of the mind of Belicheck and make no mistake both spent a ton of time in the film room with him as leaders of his defesne. lends credence to their opins re "The Patriot Way"...that's why they work for the networks and we watch...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While Tedy may have been a tad harsh, his assement was accurate.  Ocho needs to stop all the "I'm in heaven, I'm in awe" twitter posts and get his game face on.  Any time he spends messing around in the social media world is time away from working towards getting on the same page with the offense.  While I still have high hopes for him and believe he will eventually be ok here, I'd like it a lot more if he stopped all the yapping and just became singularly focused on getting up to speed and getting in the zone. 

While he may not be able to do what is expected of him on the field just yet, he can at least completely embrace and submerge himself in the "Patriot Way" by keeping his trap zipped and his eyes and ears wide open.  All these comments from him can wait until he's gets it and is a full time contributer. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

There's several dynamic to Ocho on the Patriots:

1) Learning the system in a very short period of time
    2) Finding a balance between being himself and doing it the Patriot Way. That's probably very hard for him too.

Cool it, people.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Tedy stated the case for Ocho to stop being a fan well. Mindsets are important to execution on the field. Great Ocho enjoys the show, but I'm with Tedy. Let your play do the talking. And I do think Tedy knows what he's talking about. Tedy defined the Patriots Way. His words of wisdom carry the weight of his experience with the Pats and his passion for the team and the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Bruschi needs to decide if he is an announcer or a coach.  He complains about these players and many take him as an authority.  He has no more incite into what the Patriots are doing than any other reporter.  If Brady is saying Chad is coming along, I believe him.  It takes time to learn the Offense and Chad is working on it.  Will he make mistakes, yes.  Will he run the wrong routes at times, yes.  Will he eventually get it, yes.  If someone could read a playbook and be able to make the plays, than everyone would be a WR for the Patriots.  Chemistry takes time to develop.  Play changes on the field take time to learn.  This does not happen in a few weeks.  Look at Slater, it took him time but Brady is starting to look for him. 
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

Funny I just heard Cowherd saying something like, (I talk to Tedy Bruschi a few times a week and he is texting and talking to his old teammates like 40x a day) He goes on to say Bruschi knows more about this Pats team then you or I will ever know because he is wired into that locker room.

Sections
Shortcuts