tell me again y TOMMY KELLY was a pressing need?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: tell me again y TOMMY KELLY was a pressing need?

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Haynesworth was traded for, first of all. 

Second of all, effort and attitude has never been a problem with Kelly. Completely two different players in that regard.  He's coming from a craphole and into a great situation here. 

Haynesworth was all attitude related.

I bet money Kelly signed for very, very little considering the market. Meanwhile, BB took on a malcontent who had some big money owed.

You trolls are clueless.

those are words kraft and bellichick love

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

look, Kelly at one time was a very good player. he is clearly on the down side of his career. can the Pats coax 1 more year out of him? Lets hope so. Lets also see at what cost....

Patterson on the other hand was for NO GUARANTEED MONEY! He was a free tryout in camp, with something to prove playing for another contract at 29 years old...

Rusty can offer his analysis and most if not all of us can choose to ignore it. All of us can also easily research this guy to see he is on the downside, mostly due to age and physical beating, but MAYBE he has one more year. Think Ellis, Warren, Albert. Throw it against the wall and see what sticks (this guy is no physical speciman like Carter was).

Rappaport said it himself "if the guy wants it".....lets see if he makes it thru camp before we congratulate ourselves on what a genius BB is. Lets hope this is not Gallery part 2.

I like the fact Pats are going after interior DL (I assume Wozzy likes it as well)...I still prefer someone under 30. Some call it laying in the weeds. Others call it cheap. I think it neither. I think Dennerd and the Gronk injury (must keep Fells until Gronk 100%) have tied the Pats hands and they have reached the limit on what they can spend at the moment.

Makes me very nervous that Edelman is a goner

These thoughts crossed my mind as well...is this just another Robert Gallery signing? I'm leaning heavily towards no, because a guy like Gallery really was a bust - this guy has been very productive. Is he washed up? I don't know, it's not like he's 35 years old...he turned 32 4 months ago. I've got to think in a proper rotation with Vince and Jones drawing the attention, he will give us something with limited reps. The guy is huge...at the very least he gets his hands up and disrupts the throwing lanes of some QBs (we haven't had that in a long time).

Trust me I know it's getting hard to just say "in Bill we trust", when we keep signing these old players that are washed up...Ocho, Hayneworth, Springs, Shaun Ellis, Gallery, Addai, Stallworth, Gaffney, Holt, Galloway, Fred Taylor, John Lynch (remember that one?), and more, but I think this one may work out.  

For every one that didn't work I can match one per position that did work.  You seem to keep holding his feet to the fire for  10% hits on draft picks and FAs, and ignore the rest of how other GMs do in this league.

Not to mention if Brady and this offense hadn't SUCKED in two SBs, you wouldn't continue to be annoying typing what you just typed.

TRUTH HURTS.

We're waiting on Brady.

In Bill I Trust.  Absolutely no doubt.

Russ...you said bb is the best of all time. Please stop holding him to the other 31 team's coaches and GM's standards. 

He has brought in a ton of retreads and jag FA's. he seemed to hit on FA's better earlier in his tenure but really hasn't put much out there since the big randy and welker trades. Only a few decent FA's come to mind, but this number is dwarfed by the ones that were camp fodder. Everyone once and a while its nice to spend on superior talent.

The Kelly signing is good if all the assumptions hold true. I don't think it should stop us from grabbing a stud DT in this draft, because Kelly might fizzle, and love, deaderick are depth guys at best, and captain Canada we have no clue about either. Things look better today, but we still have a way to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

(Shaking my head)...I still remember haynesworth laying on the field like a beached whale after being pancacked for the thrid play in a row...what a fat pantload...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL..... That's the first time I ever said that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I have no idea what Kelly has left in the tank ...

But I like the move.

I also applaud BB for taking the " no - stone - unturned " approach to team building :

~Typically stock piling high Draft picks allowing him to move @ the board

~The occasional draft day trade acquiring a valuable established vet ( Moss )

~Signing the rare worthy RFA ( Welker , as noted above ...Sanders ? )

~ Almost always using free agent money judiciously

~ Scouring the CFL  ( Armond Armstead & Jason Vega )

~ Even giving promising athletes from other sports a chance

( Neil  , Demps ...Lawrence Okoye ? )

When Seymour was traded to the Raiders I recall reading that some of his new team mates were curious as to what it was like playing for the Pats and Seymour ( to his credit ) raved about how awesome it was in NE .

My guess is Tommy Kelly very badly wanted to be a Patriot .

He also strikes me as a dedicated  , driven type of individual .

Might be just wishful thinkin' but I've got a feeling Kelly is going to end up doing things the Patriot way and ultimately will end up contributing to the Pats winning ways in Foxboro .

At any rate ...

I like our chances of getting that elusive 4th ring this season - with or w/o Kelly working out.

Now if we could just pick the right WR in a couple weeks  -

I'd REALLY like our chances .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Haynesworth was traded for, first of all. 

Second of all, effort and attitude has never been a problem with Kelly. Completely two different players in that regard.  He's coming from a craphole and into a great situation here. 

Haynesworth was all attitude related.

I bet money Kelly signed for very, very little considering the market. Meanwhile, BB took on a malcontent who had some big money owed.

You trolls are clueless.

those are words kraft and bellichick love

Are you suggesting this is a bad thing?  I don't know whether you know this, but there is a salary cap in football, which means that good owners and GMS try to get vaue for money.  The Dan Snyder way has not been very successful. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I think Yates from ESPN Boston does a nice job on this scouting report of Tommy Kelly:

Scouting report: Tommy Kelly April, 9, 2013 Apr 9 10:00 AM ET By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com   When a team signs a free-agent -- any free-agent -- it often seems that the knee-jerk reaction to the deal is to compare that player to another free-agent signing from the past.

Along those lines, when the Patriots agreed to terms on a two-year deal with defensive Tommy Kelly on Monday, there was a parallel drawn in some circles between Kelly and Gerard Warren, another former Raider picked up by the Patriots in the latter stage of his career (both of those elements probably made the comparison an easy one to make).

But in reviewing the game tape of Kelly from the 2012 season, it's clear that the Patriots have acquired a much different type of player than Warren, and below is an introductory scouting report on how Kelly might fit in with his new team.

Alignment and athleticism. Kelly aligned predominantly as the Raiders' "3 technique" defensive tackle (which shades to the outside eye of a guard), although depending on pre-snap motion or the defensive line personnel in the game, he also shifted to the nose tackle position, shading to one side of the center. Although listed at 6-6 and 325 pounds, Kelly carries his weight very well and has good initial quickness from the snap. Kelly has very good length and an extended torso (more on that later), and has the lateral movement skills to loop around the end of the line on "games" with another defensive lineman. For an interior defensive lineman, Kelly has good closing burst to narrow the gap on a quarterback in the pocket, and although his sack production dipped in 2012, he still has enough disruption skills to be noticed on passing downs.

Skills. Kelly's combination of quickness and length make him an intriguing pass rusher. He can shoot a single gap to penetrate the line of scrimmage, although that's something the Patriots do less of than most teams, as it affects the discipline of their front seven. As a rusher, Kelly has elements of both a power pusher who uses his hands to walk an offensive lineman back as well as a "find a crease" rusher who can torque through crevices in traffic. As it relates to his power, Kelly has good in-line power, which reminds me of former Patriots defensive lineman Bobby Hamilton, who had good ability to work through an offensive lineman. Perhaps due to his long torso, Kelly has a tendency to expose his downfield shoulder. As an interior rusher, Kelly often works in areas where an uncovered guard or center is looking for a defender with such an exposed area to knock the defender off of his line. Staying square will be key to Kelly continuing to produce, and will also impact his run-defense skills. The Patriots' run defense starts with disciplined defensive linemen who can engage blockers and create space for their linebackers.

Role projection. There are a few notions to dispel about Kelly based on his 2012 film. He's not a player that is a shell of himself at age 32. His physical skills have dipped (as would any 32-year old's), but he has productive football left in him. On top of that, despite just 1.5 sacks last season, he can still generate pressure as a rusher, something that the Patriots lacked consistently from Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick last season. Kelly could be called upon to play alongside Wilfork in transition downs (i.e. run or passing downs such as second-and-6, third-and-2, even first-and-10), while Deaderick and Love may be more responsible for obvious run situations. The Patriots also could add more size in the draft, which makes Kelly's projected role fluid.

Overall assessment. Kelly shouldn't be viewed as an every-down defensive lineman who will play the majority of the Patriots' snaps, but he does offer value in that he brings more pass-rush skills to the table than either Love or Deaderick, an area the team has had to address this offseason. As a rotational defensive lineman who will be better against the pass than the run, Kelly is a solid pick-up from this view. We don't have the financial terms of his deal at this time, but those will provide more context to the signing. The Patriots defensive line was young outside of Wilfork last season, and Kelly is considered a reliable pro. He was a captain in Oakland and started every game over the past five seasons. One element that could be worth following on Kelly's signing is the potential for him to mentor Armond Armstead, whom the Patriots signed from the CFL this offseason. Armstead is regarded as a potential interior pass rusher, and having an example to follow may pay off.

Sections
Shortcuts