Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs

Admittedly, I only saw bits and pieces of last nights' game. But, based on what I saw, aside from Tom Terrific looking terrific...

1.) OT Nate Solder needs to get in the weight room and add some muscle. Though he did some things well, particularly in run blocking situations, his pass protection abilities must improve, if he's going to be charged with protecting Tom Brady. There was one particular play in which he was bull-rushed, and knocked back into Tom...falling on top of him. There was another play where Tom was hit on his formerly injured knee. This is totally unacceptable;

2.) RB Stevan Ridley once again was impressive...putting up 111 yards in rushing (84) and receiving (27). But, there was that fumble...

3.) QB Ryan Mallett disappointed, after such a fine initial outing. He looked stiff and nervous...so stiff that it appeared that somebody sprayed triple starch on his uniform. That pick six he threw was Curtis Painter-like;

4.) DE Andre Carter was very disruptive force on the edge. It's been a while since I've seen a Patriots' DE/OLB rush the passer the way he did last night;

5.) LB Jerod Mayo was a beast! At the end of this season, the Pats are going to have to pony-up big money to sign their Ray Lewis;

6.) RBs BJGE and Danny Woodhead looked to be in mid-season form;

7.) LB Rob Ninkovich isn't flashy. But, he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He may develop into a Mike Vrabel-like LB yet;

8.) During the first half, the Patriots' dominated on both the OL and DL;

9.) Not a good night for the secondary. Safety Patrick Chung still has issues in coverage. Though Darius Butler made a couple of good plays, he was beaten often. Did you notice that the Bucs were constantly looking his way? Devin McCourty looked rusty;

10.) Even though it doesn't show in the stats sheet, Vince Wilfolk was a major force in the middle. If Albert Haynesworth can even approach being the player he once was, the Patriots' DL will be dramatically improved.  

Here are the game stats:  http://boston.stats.com/fb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=20110818027

Thoughts?     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs

I think your comments are correct...however, I also think exuberance needs to be tempered as we factor in how awful both Tampa and Jacksonville played the past 2 weeks. Lets hope it is the Florida water and the Phins play just as poorly opening day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs:
    [QUOTE]I think your comments are correct...however, I also think exuberance needs to be tempered as we factor in how awful both Tampa and Jacksonville played the past 2 weeks. Lets hope it is the Florida water and the Phins play just as poorly opening day.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Whenever there's a blow-out, the question is, "Are we that good"...or..."Are they that bad"? I tend to believe that it's more of a case of the Patriots being "that good". No...the Bucs aren't the Packers, Eagles, Colts, or Jets. But, they're a team that won 10 games last season.

Here's an article on how the Tampa scribes view this loss. As always, I highly recommend reading the fan comments for a few laughs: http://www2.tbo.com/news/bucs/2011/aug/19/spnewso1-poor-effort-raises-half-an-eyebrow-ar-251509/#poll_168 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I think people need to temper expectations when it comes to Mallett.  Yes, he has a strong arm.  But there's more to playing the position than that.  See George, Jeff.  Let's wait and see how he develops.  This is preseason, everything is vanilla and it's against a bunch of guys many of whom won't even be in the NFL next month. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

What happened to Woodhead after that hit that ESPN keeps playing? Did he pop back up? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]What happened to Woodhead after that hit that ESPN keeps playing? Did he pop back up? 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Yes, he got up.  A little shaky but he got up. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I'll be interested in how your D does against a good passing offense.  Your D is very good at stopping the run, but the CB corps seems pretty paper thin.  Receiving TEs and good slot receivers would seem to pose a coverage challenge for your nickel DBs and your LBs (in the case of TEs). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs :      Whenever there's a blow-out, the question is, "Are we that good"...or..."Are they that bad"? I tend to believe that it's more of a case of the Patriots being "that good". No...the Bucs aren't the Packers, Eagles, Colts, or Jets. But, they're a team that won 10 games last season.      Here's an article on how the Tampa scribes view this loss. As always, I highly recommend reading the fan comments for a few laughs: http://www2.tbo.com/news/bucs/2011/aug/19/spnewso1-poor-effort-raises-half-an-eyebrow-ar-251509/#poll_168  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

They were a 10 win team last year that had 10 penalties in the first half last night. An arguement could be made that Tampa played worse than Jacksonville the week before

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from batou. Show batou's posts

For the most part I agree with your breakdown with the exception that I thought Solder looked good in both pass and run blocking last night.  It was his first game against real competition and he held his own. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE] Im assuming the black patch they all had on was for Myra Kraft????? Confirmation??? Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Ya, Myra Hiatt Kraft. Some clown started a thread after the first game saying that they should change the patch because he didn't like how it looked lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree with Killa about Solder he looked like a giant out there. Yes that one play where he missed and ended up getting pushed into brady but over all he shut his man down(whom was also a 1st rd draft pick????)

I'll take Light at LT for now but d-coordinators will be staying up late at night trying to figure out Solder and Volmer....The Twin Towers.

The offensive line was VERY impressive as we rushed for 200 yards. Woodhead and Lawfirm look to be in mid season form as does the run blocking. Ridley came in and was a workhorse!!!

I am scared for opposing teams rb's and qb's when we introduce Albert and Shaun Ellis into the d-line.... Gonna be a lot of open lanes for LB's to come shooting in!

VW and Gerrard Warren were unstoppable, and on offense Hernandez looks like he has worked on route running quite a bit.

Very exciting and btw the Bucs are an above average team...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Price hasn't been seen since the final punt return he made in the game last week, Killa.  I've been worried about this one . . . hoping it's "just" a concussion and he's back in a week or so.

Hate the new kick off rule and would hate to see punts get similar treatment . . . but the Pats do seem to lose a lot of starters running back punts and kickoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

And let's not forget that Maneri apparently played most of the game too.  I haven't seen the game yet, but from what I heard Maneri and Solder were holding their own in the tackle position.  If I'm not mistaken both were in for the whole game, including when Brady was in.  That they trust those two guys to protect Brady is a pretty big endorsement, I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Well its pre season so whether the bucs are a good team or not means nothing really cause no one really schemes for pre season games. But they did look good in a game with very little game planning on both teams.   I will have to buy some duck tape and write in white marker MHK and put it on my jersey when i go to games. I mean if the team is doing it why not pay tribute as a fan as well.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

All the more reason why this was great for this teams confidence. We didn't need Belichicks sound defensive "schemes" it was our guys verse their guys in individual match ups and we consistently ate their lunch!

Bucs have some power on the off and def lines and we abused them all game. This was done without a 1000 pounds of Haynsworth,Ellis and Wright which I believe will be spending a lot of time on the field( Unless Wright is now expendable?)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs : Yes, he got up.  A little shaky but he got up. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I was at the game it happend basically right in front of us,, he was hit HARD!!!!! laid there for a bit, then got up seemed ok, then just about took a header, he was propped up by two pats players after about 6or7 "drunken, stumble steps"
    I thought he was going to go down......  he didn't ... walked off the filed. but DAMN, that hit was mean.  And if you ask me it WAS helmet to helmet...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i agree with everything you said, concerned about soldier protecting brady. he will be great there is no doubt but he really needs to add muscle and strength or he will be pushed around by some of the stonger bull rush type rushers.. 

mallet needs time to learn, with the lockout he is already way behind a typical rookie qb.. hoyer will be the backup.

ridley is so far beyond my expectations, never expected this. rookie running backs can contribute earlier than most other positions and he will be yet another dimension to the already underrated running game.

the defense is going to be fun to watch, so much for no pass rushers.. they dominate the line without haynesworth, ellis, and a few others. this is a very good and deep unit.l

i'd like to see more with the tight end, they did involve them early on a few plays and the hernandez td.. the quick hit to welker works most of the time but i'd like to see more running and plays to the tight end...

its tough though to have any complaints about a team that was up 28-0 before the half.  can't wait till the season starts!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be interested in how your D does against a good passing offense.  Your D is very good at stopping the run, but the CB corps seems pretty paper thin.  Receiving TEs and good slot receivers would seem to pose a coverage challenge for your nickel DBs and your LBs (in the case of TEs). 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

The Pats are anything but "thin" at CB. But, having quantity at a position is not the same as having quality at the position. There's lots of work to be done in the secondary. But, with McCourty, Leigh Bodden, Arrington, and rookie Ras-I Dowling on board, there's reason to be optimistic.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about their safeties. Patrick Chung has issues in coverage. Brandon Meriweather freelances too much, and  has not evolved into the play-maker that the Pats hoped he would be. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats added a veteran safety, soon.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Let's not be so harsh on the future.  I think the fact that Mallett didn't have anyone to throw to didn't help his performance.  Last week he had Price catching everything in his area.  The week a bunch of shlubs who couldn't get open or catch a ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Also . . . White (LB) and Slater (WR-S) showed they will make this team because of their special team play . . . White wasn't half bad as a LB in the 4-3 alignment.  Ross may have also made a spot with his two nice catches and ability to return punts (saving wear and tear on Wes).  But if Ross is to make the 53 man squad then Tate of Edilman (or maybe both) will be gone!  This undrafted TE also has a shot of beating out Miller for the 3rd TE spot as I do not think they could slip one of these guys through to the practice squad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Tex, this Defense has a chance to be something really special. The pressure they were able to get last night took me all the way back to the start of this teams successful years.

Carter is a beast on the edge, now.....if you add Ellis to the other end and Wilfork and Haynesworth in the middle who do you double? This front is going to oopen the door wide open for guys like Spikes and Ninkovich.

It's early and I don't want to get too excited before they even make their cuts but I see this team analiating teams again like 07. The O spots 30 every game like last year........the difference is we went from no pressure to sick, unstoppable pressure.

Jules.....my guess is the Pats corners will look much better this year due to pressure. In fact....I'll say right now that McCourty and Bodden have a better season than Revis and Cromartie. My reasoning is the pass rush. The Pats will have a sick one and the Jets lost a step on theirs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ten Observations on Patriots @.Bucs :      The Pats are anything but "thin" at CB. But, having quantity at a position is not the same as having quality at the position. There's lots of work to be done in the secondary. But, with McCourty, Leigh Bodden, Arrington, and rookie Ras-I Dowling on board, there's reason to be optimistic.        Frankly, I'm more concerned about their safeties. Patrick Chung has issues in coverage. Brandon Meriweather freelances too much, and  has not evolved into the play-maker that the Pats hoped he would be. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats added a veteran safety, soon.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE

U say meri freelances to much essentialy isnt that wat palomalu does and isnt he a "Free" safety? i think he just needs to make better decisions on the field

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, this Defense has a chance to be something really special. The pressure they were able to get last night took me all the way back to the start of this teams successful years. Carter is a beast on the edge, now.....if you add Ellis to the other end and Wilfork and Haynesworth in the middle who do you double? This front is going to oopen the door wide open for guys like Spikes and Ninkovich. It's early and I don't want to get too excited before they even make their cuts but I see this team analiating teams again like 07. The O spots 30 every game like last year........the difference is we went from no pressure to sick, unstoppable pressure. Jules.....my guess is the Pats corners will look much better this year due to pressure. In fact....I'll say right now that McCourty and Bodden have a better season than Revis and Cromartie. My reasoning is the pass rush. The Pats will have a sick one and the Jets lost a step on theirs.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

It's much too early to say, Sam. Far be it for me to agree with Jules on anything, but lets' see what happens when the Pats play an elite team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I think your comments are correct...however, I also think exuberance needs to be tempered as we factor in how awful both Tampa and Jacksonville played the past 2 weeks. Lets hope it is the Florida water and the Phins play just as poorly opening day.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    I would like to think both Jacksonville and Tampa Bay both came into their respective games thinking they could compete with the Pats and, basically, had their lunch handed to them regardless of who the Pats had on the field.  Given the Bucs D threw a shutout in their first game and then to see the Pats O put 28 on the board by half-time, has to say something.  As I have noted in a string I started, when was the last time we saw the Pats dominate teams in the pre-season?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

agc,

That's a good point. They usually don't have this much rythm in the pre-season and to see them play at that level (1st half) last night with a limited time to prepare for the pre-season schedule is amazing.

I know it's early Tex, but they played who they played on their schedule. The Buc's were a 10 game winning team last year with a running game and a D. I only see great things right now....the best may be their depth. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Hey Sam...can you, or anybody else...explain to me why 5'6", 185 lb. RB Danny Woodhead is covering punts? He's a key member of the Pats' offense. How ridiculous would it be if he suffered a concussion due to the cheap shot he absorbed last night...and was bothered by symptoms throughout the season?

I'm a huge BB supporter. But...using Woodhead to cover a punt was just plain dumb.