Tenches, Trenches, Trenches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches

If a WR came around on a reverse and Warren missed the tackle I would be upset.  If a RB makes it into the secondary I expect Merriweather to be able to save the TD ... that's not asking a lot.  And they don't use Merriweather exclusively in a FS coverage role ... they often put him up in the box and that is when his inability to tackle is most apparrent.  Maybe I'm just underestimating the difficulty of tackling after years of watching Maroney and Watson go down at the slightest touch. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches:
    If a WR came around on a reverse and Warren missed the tackle I would be upset.  If a RB makes it into the secondary I expect Merriweather to be able to save the TD ... that's not asking a lot.  And they don't use Merriweather exclusively in a FS coverage role ... they often put him up in the box and that is when his inability to tackle is most apparrent.  Maybe I'm just underestimating the difficulty of tackling after years of watching Maroney and Watson go down at the slightest touch. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

You see that's the problem. They didn't have a SS to fill that role so Merriweather was forced into a position he shouldn't have been. He is a FS and shouldn't be used as a SS. If Chung takes over that role this year you won't see Merriweather in that role and his ability to cover over top will really become appearent. BTW I've seen Watson run over a couple S's in his day and Maroney make S's look silly on occassion. That tends to happen when you take a FS and ask them to play like a  SS. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

"...There's no right answer here as to picking for need vs. the best available player..."

muzz, i think the approach will vary by how many holes need to be filled. If you don't have a lot, as with the pats not so long ago, then targeting players for specific needs makes total sense. when you have many holes, like the current patriots (there are many teams like this, including seattle), you should build what would be the future core of your franchise by getting the best available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I hate him because he was voted to the pro bowl when he is clearly deficient in the most important skill set of any defensive player ... tackling.  Voting him to that popularity contest says it's ok if you bounce off of running backs (or let them run by you as in 1st play of Baltimore game) so long as you put up big INT numbers.

I'm with Mighty on this one.  My biggest beef with Meriweather is he's undisciplined and over-runs plays or is out of position a lot.  And as Mighty points out, he's not a consistent tackler.  He has potential, but until he starts playing smarter he's not a great safety. If the Pats could pick up an older, smarter guy in free agency to mentor Meriweather and the other young guys in the defensive backfield I think the team would be greatly helped. 

(Also--I'm not sure Meriweather's cover skills are all that exceptional either--having a lot of interceptions isn't the same thing as being a good coverage guy.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The first round I would like to see us go with an explosive game changing type player, preferably Dez Bryant if he is there.  Would love to see him under Moss's wing for a year and opposite him on the field.  What an incredible combo that would make.  The other potential first round pick would be Graham.  No he doesn't have the size BB covets, but his motor, skills, and production cannot be questioned.

As for the second round I want to see a trade happen with one of our picks going to Chicago for Greg Olsen.  The top TE's in the draft have a great deal of upside but too much uncertainty due to past serious injuries having not even taken snaps in 09.  Would rather get a proven solid player.

The other 2 second round picks I am all for shoring up the trenches.  On the defensive side I am really liking Tyson Alualu.  He just keeps getting better and better and has the potential to be a PB level player in a 2-3 years if we can fine tune him and keep those production levels going. 

On the offensive side of the ball, I am really liking Vladimir Duccasse.  He needs some refinement also but could bring the nasty attitude and smash mouth mauling style of play we so desperately need to get back to.  Both have high high motors and go full out to the whistle on every play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches : I'm with Mighty on this one.  My biggest beef with Meriweather is he's undisciplined and over-runs plays or is out of position a lot.  And as Mighty points out, he's not a consistent tackler.  He has potential, but until he starts playing smarter he's not a great safety. If the Pats could pick up an older, smarter guy in free agency to mentor Meriweather and the other young guys in the defensive backfield I think the team would be greatly helped.  (Also--I'm not sure Meriweather's cover skills are all that exceptional either--having a lot of interceptions isn't the same thing as being a good coverage guy.)
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I can think of several big plays we gave up through the air because of Maryweather ... the first Jets game, that long pass in the third quarter - Mary was in perfect position to make the tackle and keep it to a 10-15 yard pass - but he ran into Wilhite instead of making the tackle.

Then of course there is the blown coverage in the New Orleans game ... the corner blitzed and Mary let the guy run into the endzone?  C'mon man!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Merriweather is not that bad.  Dont even look at the saints game, not a single player had a good game.  And everyone gets burned on occasion.  He is an above average FS.  He works hard and has shown improvement every year.  Early he dropped easy Ints, now he catches them.  He isnt the Ed Reed of our team, but he is good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches : A DE end is our biggest need. Hope that is the first guy off the boardbut BB might wait until next year when he has a high 1st round pick. I do not think Odrick fits.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

ol, de, olb are ne's biggest needs. ne should take the best available to fill any of those positions.

i see rb, wr, ilb  and te as second tier of needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches :
     I do not think Odrick fits.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

I was about to give you a glowing comment about how I agreed with the overall sentiment of this thread and than you said that...  

Where we are picking, the abundance of defensive line talent and his talent I would say he is the best player we could possibly get.  He's been my pick for months, I couldn't disagree more.

He is the prototypical defensive end in a 3/4 defense... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches : I was about to give you a glowing comment about how I agreed with the overall sentiment of this thread and than you said that...   Where we are picking, the abundance of defensive line talent and his talent I would say he is the best player we could possibly get.  He's been my pick for months, I couldn't disagree more. He is the prototypical defensive end in a 3/4 defense... 
    Posted by wozzy

But wozzy, everyone is saying he's not a 2 gapper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tenches, Trenches, Trenches : But wozzy, everyone is saying he's not a 2 gapper.

How many college programs run a traditional 3/4... almost none.  Check his shuttle times, if he can run them as fast as Ty Warren than yes he can.  I'm not a draftnik, i haven't done the research, but my two eyes, his size and history tell me different. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Odrick will fit.  He was my original choice for the 22nd pick.  It still could happen although I look at it as more unlikely. 

I look at the Pats OL as okay for now with the exception of Koppen.  Someone mentioned it before that he seems to stuggle with the large NT and with 15 teams running the 3/4 now his struggles are magnified.  So a center would be the only thing that I would be shopping for this year.  We have solid backups behind Neal.  I don't worry about this much at all.  Vollmer replaces Kaczur which fix this OL IMHO.  Last year we had a lot of injuries to the OL.  Stability is key for any line.

Defensively the Pats have issues.  The right side was hurtin'.  This had a lot to do with the unexpected trade of Seymour.  If the Pats were expecting it they would have been more prepared, a replacement or temporary solution.  But the trade happened late.  I think that's why they kept AD on the right side.  DE and OLB are needs this draft.  McKenzie can fill the ILB spot.  Two of the top 4 picks need to go here.  My targets here are Graham/Hughes and then Alualu.  Very doable. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTEI look at the Pats OL as okay for now with the exception of Koppen.  Someone mentioned it before that he seems to stuggle with the large NT and with 15 teams running the 3/4 now his struggles are magnified.  So a center would be the only thing that I would be shopping for this year.  We have solid backups behind Neal.  I don't worry about this much at all.  Vollmer replaces Kaczur which fix this OL IMHO.  Last year we had a lot of injuries to the OL.  Stability is key for any line.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I'm not nearly so sanguine about the O-line.  I think Light is on the downside of his career, which means Vollmer is the only decent tackle we have.  Pass protection hasn't been up to par since the Super Bowl against the Giants and run blocking has been a problem much longer than that.  Vollmer seems able to play both the left and right sides well, so the Pats have the luxury of drafting a right tackle (which will be a lower pick than a left tackle). I'd grab someone like Trent Williams in the first round and re-build the line around Vollmer and the new right tackle.  Koppen isn't the best center, but with good tackles and decent guards, I think we can live with him for another year or two.  The problem we've faced for years is at the tackle position. Good tackles usually are first-round picks (Vollmer's are far and few between) and BB hasn't been willing to use a high draft pick to get one.  I think that hurt us in the Super Bowl against the Giants and continues to hurt us now.  Brady needs reliable pass protection and a more balanced offense that has a running game opponents have to respect.  Both of those things start with good tackles.  With Vollmer we've got one of them.  Now let's go out and get the other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Can see a DE and OLB as two of our first 4 picks. Wouldn't be shocked if we didn't even get a OLineman in this draft after getting Vollmer, Ohrnberger, and Bussey last year. Imagine that the Pats would really like to finish their defense of rebuilding with this draft along with starting on offense picking up WR and TE's. Then starting next year go with a more offense heavy draft hitting all the positions OL, RB, WR, QB, with maybe a couple picks on the D side for mis-calculations on talent.

Sections
Shortcuts